Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR's biggest current issue - Combat Responsiveness

Last night I logged off in frustration after doing some warzones.  It just felt like the controls were sluggish for some reason.  At first, I thought it was just lag, but after looking over this thread:  http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=84943, I don't think that's the case.

There is something just..."off" with the combat responsiveness in SWTOR.  It doesn't feel nearly as slick as WoW and I think it could be a major problem.  I think that if BW doesn't find a way to increase combat responsiveness to close to WoW levels, that it could cost the game big time.  This is basically what happened with WAR.

Anyway, I wanted to see what the community here thought about this...do you notice a combat responsiveness issue in SWTOR?  If so, do you think it could be a "gamebreaker?"

If you want more issue on what exactly I'm talking about, please read the OP in the thread I linked.  He describes it better than I could.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Comments

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Nope, I've only had one issue with that, and it's using my Trooper's Mortar Volley.   And the guy whose post you linked is wrong, btw.  The reason I know this is because, aside from Mortar Volley ocassionally starting late, I've had zero issues with this in PvE content, but quite a few during PvP.  If it wasn't an fps issue, I'd have the same problem when out questing that I do in PvP.   

PvP is, in fact, very laggy, unfortunately.  And it's something I hope they fix. 

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

ya, the responsiveness is great to me. And this is coming straight from playing WoW the same day I started SWTOR.

• allegriaallegria Member CommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by Creslin321

Last night I logged off in frustration after doing some warzones.  It just felt like the controls were sluggish for some reason.  At first, I thought it was just lag, but after looking over this thread:  http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=84943, I don't think that's the case.

There is something just..."off" with the combat responsiveness in SWTOR.  It doesn't feel nearly as slick as WoW and I think it could be a major problem.  I think that if BW doesn't find a way to increase combat responsiveness to close to WoW levels, that it could cost the game big time.  This is basically what happened with WAR.

Anyway, I wanted to see what the community here thought about this...do you notice a combat responsiveness issue in SWTOR?  If so, do you think it could be a "gamebreaker?"

If you want more issue on what exactly I'm talking about, please read the OP in the thread I linked.  He describes it better than I could.

YOu know there is something there with your post. When i was in beta the game felt like the most responsive and Fluid combat I had ever played in an MMO . . .. 

However, it did not feel that way @ pre-release ... it could be server lag or code changes or just my perception but it didnt give me that fluid feeling that I had in beta..

I also heard about a setting in game that has to do with ability queueing and a fairly detailed post regarding how it should be set based on your latency to make it feel fluid. If i recall it was in the SWTOR forums so maybe look that up ?

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657

There is a bug and if you spam an ability is will just do the starting aninmation over and over until you stop and let the cool down finish and then just hit it once.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

Well, I've never encountered that problem. A lot of combat related bugs but nothing like this.

However in Hutt Ball you might have some problems executing skills whilst you are being hurled into the air by the booster. Though there is one bug I've been bothered with a couple of times. It's when you take a lot of damage at once getting killed instantly and your character will still seem alive for a second or two.

About the WAR comment I think another major problem in that game was the server populations and the horrible combat animations fault rather than the sluggish reactions alone. Of course it did contribute to it, One of the reasons I gave up that game. However give it some time and I am sure that BW will sort things out. The game is just recently released.

Another problem might be the system requirements that are unusually high but this problem have been reported several times.

• onthestickonthestick Member Posts: 600

No problem here either other than  lag on my own side because i am in Morocco and playing on US servers.. I play BH and responsivness is the same like it was in beta, smooth and instant response.

How many servers SWTOR will launch with on release?

ShredderSE - Umm how many do they need? Maybe 6.
    US, EU, Asian, France, German and Russian.
    Subs will be so low there is no need for more
    Snoocky-How many servers?
    The first 3 months a lot...after that 2 i guess, one for PVE and 1 for PVP...

Thorbrand - SWTOR doesn't have longevity at all. Might be one of the shortest lived MMOs.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

it could be that in pvp the global cooldown is longer then in pve (to prevent lag induced edge,wow do it)also dont forget a lot of skill in the arsenal of other class will throttle you be it walking ,stunning you ,bleed you (to prevent you from stealthing.etc etc  .i dont say it isnt happening if it is mention it to bioware or ea.tell the time it happenedwhat class were close enough to you to affect you etc ,it could also be a thing that isnt supposed to happen (check the alt-tab scheem in pvp in wow)was a pain it would delay you and prevent you from reacting to your opponent)remember there are lot of trick that were dev over the years in wow that player will try to see if they work in swtor!,and lot of them were kept secret for obvious reason!doesnt mean they re legal but it is only illigal if you get caught!

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

The gameplay is one of the things I look forward to most when Im logging back into SWTOR, it flows unlike alot of other mmos Iv played and the CC abilities are just sick fun to boot. 

As for the issue your explaining, you didnt go into much detail as to what exactly it is you think is wrong with the gameplay enough for me to tell if its anything Iv expierenced.  The only thing I could compare as to what your thinking of as with Warhammer online which I own also, is the amount of time it takes when you click an ability for the enemy to show its been hit.  I did notice a bit of that i guess to some extent but nothing near to warrant me posting about it.

• FadernFadern Member Posts: 37

I agree with op, and to my supprise it seemed most people at swtor's forum agreed aswell in that link you gave us? =O

Pve is okay but pvp is not smooth at all, I was thinking about this yesterday but couldn't set my finger on it, it just didn't feel fast and smooth but I have to try out some more toonight ;p

Great game apart from this though, and I don't even like the Starwars movies....

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Not being enough like WoW is TORs last issue LOL

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• pharazonicpharazonic Member Posts: 860

I agree with your analysis Creslin regarding BW to implement WoW smoothness and responsiveness. 

That being said, the SWTOR community is the best place for this discussion. Nice to see it's a 51 page thread from that (very dedicated) guy. Perhaps it's a bug that BW has been unware of?

Originally posted by wormywyrm

LOL ;)

The beauty of WoW's engine is something every game should strive to achieve IMO.

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

I need to take this advice more.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Ive had this issue. But only in PvP combat, such as Hutt Ball. Ive seen it happen in player grouped instances also but not as bad. Ive had in the Warfronts my click lag be at 1sec to 2secs, and that suks.

What I think is happening is that BW is doing something like what CCP is doing with "time dilation". I think BW is slowing down everyones responsivness to the lowest connection in the instance/phase/zone.

Why do I think that? I group with a girl who doesnt have the best ISP connection, whos complained that the game "hick-ups" sometimes. And when I group with her, especially in instances, my "resonsivness" also goes to shit. And when I asked her in Vent are you experiencing the same thing I am, she said "It always like that for me when I play".

So what I think TOR is doing is slowing everyone down to the lowest connection, so it more fair for all the players. Its like what happens in Counter Stike, you have one person with 1000+ ping and it makes everyone elses connection go to shit.

They should hard code it so that the most it slows everyne else down is .5ms, to maybe .75ms.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by wormywyrm

I think there's a big difference between having WoW's features, and living up to its smooth gameplay experience.  EVERY game should try to have the same responsiveness as WoW.  I really don't see any rational argument for making a game less responsive just because WoW is very responsive.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Originally posted by Hokie

Ive had this issue. But only in PvP combat, such as Hutt Ball. Ive seen it happen in player grouped instances also but not as bad. Ive had in the Warfronts my click lag be at 1sec to 2secs, and that suks.

What I think is happening is that BW is doing something like what CCP is doing with "time dilation". I think BW is slowing down everyones responsivness to the lowest connection in the instance/phase/zone.

Why do I think that? I group with a girl who doesnt have the best ISP connection, whos complained that the game "hick-ups" sometimes. And when I group with her, especially in instances, my "resonsivness" also goes to shit. And when I asked her in Vent are you experiencing the same thing I am, she said "It always like that for me when I play".

So what I think TOR is doing is slowing everyone down to the lowest connection, so it more fair for all the players. Its like what happens in Counter Stike, you have one person with 1000+ ping and it makes everyone elses connection go to shit.

They should hard code it so that the most it slows everyne else down is .5ms, to maybe .75ms.

If this is true then that SUCKS.  I don't think they should ever force people who have a decent connection to have lag in the name of fairness.  Especially when they have no level tiered battlegrounds so it's ridiculously unfair to begin with :).

• daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178

Ive not had this issue. The game has been very fluid for me. 

• daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178

There is an ability que which slows down combat. but makes it easier pve. I turn it off and the game is VERY responsive. 

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

If this is true then that SUCKS.  I don't think they should ever force people who have a decent connection to have lag in the name of fairness.  Especially when they have no level tiered battlegrounds so it's ridiculously unfair to begin with :).

Well they do have to try and sync everyone up especially in say Hutt Ball. Say Im trying to pass to someone and because of connection ping they are actully 10 or 20 feet away from where Im seeing them. Same holds true with healing in an instance or a Warfront, everyone has to be close to the same ping or it even more frustrating.

Not saying whats happing now is okay, its not. I dont play Hutt Ball as much as Id like too because of it.

But there just has to be a hardcoded ping/latencey variance maximum. Which at this time I dont think there is.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• FadernFadern Member Posts: 37

Ye lol, that would be so strange letting 19 people with good computer and connection to suffer because one guy is having his iphone as his modem.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Ive had this issue. But only in PvP combat, such as Hutt Ball.  

ok good so it's not just me.

last time i was in Hutt Ball i spent 5 seconds spamming this one skill before it "stuck". the cooldown would start and then reset with every spam....i was like WTF?

it wasn't lag because everyone else was moving and fighting arround me without interruption, and there was no stutter in the animations. it was like skill lag or something....hopefully they get it fixed soon.

• RemainsRemains Member UncommonPosts: 375

Wow, really weird how 97% of the people in that thread agrees with the OP, when the most common responses to criticism are usually "so unsub..." or "go back to WoW."

Wasnt War pretty sluggish too early on..? Were they able to improve on it eventually..? Hope they can work it out in SWTOR.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

I think funy posted this link but just a reminder I think Creslin meant this...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=84943

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Warzone does not = SWTOR... This is not a PvP game.  They added PvP as a side option but the entire core of the game is PvE.

I agree, PvP is horrible in this game, its laggy and runs like crap.  PvE however is amazing.

Nuff said.  If you want quality PvP go play Counter Strike, Dota, LoL, HoN, some other game designed with only PvP in mind... not a PvE game with PvP tacked on...  Which is what all MMO's are in my book.

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

Try troopers Mortar volley and full auto then you will realise how crappy it is.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Originally posted by RizelStar

I think funy posted this link but just a reminder I think Creslin meant this...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=84943

This post right here, he is right no matter how much you hate wow the combat is fluid, smooth responsive. 

And in the IT world when someone is making a web app they have a rule, when testing they must achive .2 sec response time if it isnt then they have to keep redoing it until it reaches that, and thats what wow used, hence the smoothness.

I also noticed when i was playing IA in Swtor when i would cast it would make me wait over .5 secs with ping od 50ish and 130+ fps. 

Hopefully this issue is resolved soon.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I received SWTOR as a gift yesterday.

So far the combat on my Sith Sorc doesn't feel sluggish at all.

Its tighter than WARs combat and about even to WoWs & RIFTs combat.

I have many, many complaints about SWTOR but combat is not one of them.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing