Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Work Boots

killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

With the new job comes new responsibilities, such as adequate protection. The business does not provide ALL the necessary protection. In this case, we're discussing boots...

They've provided quite the list of things required:

* Oil resistant *slip proof * composite toe,

*acid resistant * withstand -50 temperatures.

So far, i've found these...http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/work/all-work-boots/alpha-agg-16-brn-800g.html

Anyone know of other boots I might be able to buy with the above qualifications?

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

You might look at Creech Mining boots. Other brand names that may have useable boot that I can think of are Timberline, Wolverine, RedWing, You might also ask what ASTM standards they need to meet if they've not told you already.

If you're talking -50 degrees you might look for head wear and/or gloves like you can find here

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I just recently purchased a new set for myself.  Mine wore out after 3 solid years of service.  Granted I don't work in a field where they're exposed to oil or acid or severe fluctuations in temperature so I get quite a bit of wear out of them.

I guess I lucked out because I know of a store that sells nothing but safety equipment and mostly focus on work shoes/boots.  Whenever you go in there they go above and beyond to help you out and find exactly what you need and then go the extra mile to make sure that you're comfortable in them.  You're going to be spending more than 9 hours a day in them so no matter what make sure they sit right, don't chafe, or hurt you in any way.  Also get a good insole, you'll thank me later.

Before you run off to just any store to buy them, talk to your future employer and see if they can recommend any place in particular that deals with what you're looking for because it sounds to me like you're going to need more than just boots.  Then look around in your respective city for a safety stuff store and go in and talk to them. 

The composite toe you mentioned is real nice for cold weather though.  It is a bit more bulky but it doesn't freeze in the winter like steel does and it's a lot easyer to warm up so you're not suffering out in the cold.  Because of the composite they're also quite a bit lighter which goes a long way when you wear them for hours on end.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Damn man, weatherford gave me everything.  I guess it was a nice perk from them.  

By the way, how is the new job treating you?

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

I always wear Steel Blue safety boots.  It's an Australian company so not sure if they sell them over there but they are the best boots ive ever worn.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

I tend to get my boots at Tractor Supply Company. Mid to high quality gear for not stupidly expensive prices. 

As for the brand, Wolverine has always served me well through some rather nasty scenarios. Whatever you do, make damn sure the things are comfortable to you. They'll fit slightly better after breaking them in, but even a minor discomfort can be a major problem after a long day.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by Flem

I always wear Steel Blue safety boots.  It's an Australian company so not sure if they sell them over there but they are the best boots ive ever worn.

A friend of mine has steel toe boots and he worn the top down so much, that the steel is showing.  He is a trim carpenter and is always on his knees running baseboard and the likes.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Originally posted by Aelfinn

I tend to get my boots at Tractor Supply Company. Mid to high quality gear for not stupidly expensive prices. 

As for the brand, Wolverine has always served me well through some rather nasty scenarios. Whatever you do, make damn sure the things are comfortable to you. They'll fit slightly better after breaking them in, but even a minor discomfort can be a major problem after a long day.

In that vein, Rocky boots have always treated me well. I've a pair of chippewas that are comfortable as hell but too expensive to do real work in.

Don't buy timberland pro boots, the soles wear out fast as hell.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

We used to work on lathe in school and if the spindle fell you would end up in the hospital so we all had to buy sturdy bootsts hat could take a hit. Caterpillar boots is what most bought, they're pretty good boots with a hardened tip from steel that can take hits.

They're however not acid resistant though, so you probably need ones with rubber or something that is repellant.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Originally posted by Aelfinn

I work up here in Alaska on a couple of platforms. I needed about the same requirements for footware as the OP stated.

I bought a $250.00 of Wolverines, they are really cumfy and 4 years later they are still going strong.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos