Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this PC run Star Wars: The Old Republic?

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

The problem is that if you get an older, slower bin of the processor, then it's much less of an upgrade.  SWTOR scales well to three cores, and even a fourth core provides some benefit.  You can give up some clock speed and be fine with a quad core.  You could try to find a Core 2 Quad on the list used on a site like Ebay.

Still, I think you should stop and consider whether you really want to go the upgrade route.  If it were just one part, I'd say sure, do it.  But getting a new processor, power supply, video card, and memory is replacing a large fraction of your machine.  Even then, if the other parts that you kept were pretty nice, it might be justifiable, but they aren't.  The upgraded machine would hardly be great, so you might have spent 1/2 or 2/3 the price of a new computer in order to extend the life of an old one by a year or two.  That's not necessarily a winning proposition.

You might want to save up a bit until you can replace the computer outright, and get a far more modern platform.  Get good components up front and if you need something faster in a couple of years, it will be much easier to do.

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133

Originally posted by Clifford1987

Bigcheeseuk - What specs are those exactly please? Do you mean similar specs to my current specs or the ones I am looking to upgrade too?

The same as your current specs.

• locoenoughlocoenough Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Quizzical

Originally posted by locoenough

Originally posted by locoenough

Memory 533

Yep, that's the crippled DDR2 version of the card.  Anyway, the game should be playable but not exactly smooth at low graphical settings.  High settings are out of the question.  Both the processor and video card are meaningful limiting factors.  If you had the game, you could probably start with minimum settings, then try turning some things up selectively and seeing what makes the game look better to you and what doesn't.  You'd have some room to turn some things up a ways before the video card was the problem rather than the processor, but you'd still be stuck with fairly low settings.

thank you I think i will buy new pc 

If you're going to buy a new computer, then post about what you plan on getting here before you make the purchase.  You don't want to buy something at random and then find out that it's a piece of junk, or even that it's decently nice but you overpaid by $500.

i dont know how to thank you enough , i posted on various forums but i dont seem to get any feedback , you guys are great !!!!

i want to buy a laptop and this is the model for me i think - 

Lenovo IDEAPAD Y570/59-311065  INTEL CORE i5-2430M 4GB DDR3 RAM.NVIDIA GeForce GT 555 - 650EURO

my first choise was very similar laptop but the card is GeForce 520 or GeForce540. I have done some research and it turns out that the GT555 is 1 class above the previous mentioned graphic cards. so i have to choose between ge force 520 , 525 , 540 and 555 the other characteristics are more or less the same.

• Clifford1987Clifford1987 Member Posts: 29

The problem is that if you get an older, slower bin of the processor, then it's much less of an upgrade.  SWTOR scales well to three cores, and even a fourth core provides some benefit.  You can give up some clock speed and be fine with a quad core.  You could try to find a Core 2 Quad on the list used on a site like Ebay.

Still, I think you should stop and consider whether you really want to go the upgrade route.  If it were just one part, I'd say sure, do it.  But getting a new processor, power supply, video card, and memory is replacing a large fraction of your machine.  Even then, if the other parts that you kept were pretty nice, it might be justifiable, but they aren't.  The upgraded machine would hardly be great, so you might have spent 1/2 or 2/3 the price of a new computer in order to extend the life of an old one by a year or two.  That's not necessarily a winning proposition.

You might want to save up a bit until you can replace the computer outright, and get a far more modern platform.  Get good components up front and if you need something faster in a couple of years, it will be much easier to do.

Yeah I think you are right, it is probably best that I create an entirely new PC instead of just a mish mash of old and new.

I will create a new thread detailing what I am looking to create, I will probably purchase the items to create my new PC in February.  Thanks again Quizzical, I can't thank you enough for your help.