Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The more good MMOs we have, the better

TimukasTimukas Member UncommonPosts: 726

After seeing the crusade against SW:TOR during the recent days I would want to say one thing: fellow MMO players - the more games we have the better for us all. Multiple games cause competition which itself reseults (hopefully) in innovation. Who seriousely wants back those years when we had WoW and a couple of miscarriages like VG, AoC or Lotro?

Why hate WoW, Rift, SWTOR, EVE or any other well established MMO? Actually I woild love to see at least 4-5 P2P quality themeparks and a couple sandboxes out there. No game caters to everyone and this is good. We, customers, should and can do one thing though - not letting them rip us off again (shade schemes of sub + CS, selling life time subs a couple of days before F2P, etc) and we are entitled to demand top quality for our money.

Comments

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

The more games in the genre, the better the competition?

There are a sea of MMORPG titles these days compared to the days of UO, EQ, DAOC, SWG, and WoW's release.  Yet to me, titles from this genre have shown a trend to more limited gameplay options, less customization with your character (uniqueness is factor to me), and a crusade to minimize the "Massive Multiplayer Online" of MMORPGs.

I am however not giving these b*stards that make and run these games my money.  Their games have regressed compared to what developers used to shoot for.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• TimukasTimukas Member UncommonPosts: 726

Maybe one day, when there are enough quality MMOs out there, someone dares to risk with some innovation? Anyway, my point was that it was not any good what we had during the last years. I like when Rift had success, I like EVE having a success and I like SWTOR having a success. MMO players will have a choice again and if P2P market gets a new boost with quality games we can for sure hope more coming. 

I must admit that I'm purely a P2P MMO player so the more we have them, the better. Competition always makes things better. 

• KuraphimaruKuraphimaru Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

@op While I understand the sentiment behind your post. I can't help but feel like you are promoting quantity over quality instead of variety and quality over quantity.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Timukas

Maybe one day, when there are enough quality MMOs out there, someone dares to risk with some innovation? Anyway, my point was that it was not any good what we had during the last years. I like when Rift had success, I like EVE having a success and I like SWTOR having a success. MMO players will have a choice again and if P2P market gets a new boost with quality games we can for sure hope more coming. 

I must admit that I'm purely a P2P MMO player so the more we have them, the better. Competition always makes things better. 

Well, here's the thing.  What does it take to have a successful, quality MMORPG?  What traits do you think it will have in gameplay?  And regarding those traits, how much money do you think you'll get in backing, especially from a big company?

The biggest name to hit in several years, SWTOR, I have no doubt will be a huge success.  But what gameplay does it offer to me?  Nothing.  Nothing that I like, nothing that hasn't been done before, nothing that has been done better.  It has lots of voiceovers, that's it, but that doesn't impress me when it comes to gameplay.   And this game had ridiculous financial backing and publicity.

In the end, it is a copy of WoW, a game BioWare clearly pointed out that they wanted to emulate.  There's no competition when the competition themselves are carbon copies of each other.

And so, here we are, with a big, new rival on the block, aiming to take the reigns of supremacy.  But he's pretty much the same as the last big guy.  And with other big titles combined since 2005, I'm underwhelmed by the increasingly limited gameplay and multiplayer experience these games offer me.  There's alot of titles now, there's big titles out now, and the competition will still be the same as each other.  Only indies will try something different, but they are not going to get any decent backing whatsoever and will never receive the AAA treatment.

This genre just needs to DIE and reset itself for a chance of diversity again, but I know that's not going to happen.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

@op While I understand the sentiment behind your post. I can't help but feel like you are promoting quantity over quality instead of variety and quality over quantity.

Not exactly but having more is better than having less. in my opinion. What good we gout out of one dominating? Nothing but failures until the dominator got old enough and made competitors copying it's success being able to come into the market. 

• StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 2,014

I agree, let me know when they start making good MMOs again. image

Originally posted by Warmaker

Originally posted by Timukas

Well, here's the thing.  What does it take to have a successful, quality MMORPG?  What traits do you think it will have in gameplay?  And regarding those traits, how much money do you think you'll get in backing, especially from a big company?

The biggest name to hit in several years, SWTOR, I have no doubt will be a huge success.  But what gameplay does it offer to me?  Nothing.  Nothing that I like, nothing that hasn't been done before, nothing that has been done better.  It has lots of voiceovers, that's it, but that doesn't impress me when it comes to gameplay.   And this game had ridiculous financial backing and publicity.

In the end, it is a copy of WoW, a game BioWare clearly pointed out that they wanted to emulate.  There's no competition when the competition themselves are carbon copies of each other.

And so, here we are, with a big, new rival on the block, aiming to take the reigns of supremacy.  But he's pretty much the same as the last big guy.  And with other big titles combined since 2005, I'm underwhelmed by the increasingly limited gameplay and multiplayer experience these games offer me.  There's alot of titles now, there's big titles out now, and the competition will still be the same as each other, alongside the developer of doing anything different.  Only indies will try something different, but they are not going to get any decent backing whatsoever and will never receive the AAA treatment.

This genre just needs to DIE and reset itself for a chance of diversity again, but I know that's not going to happen.

Although I like SWTOR very much I hope that it won't never dominate the market. As I said competition on the market always results with better options for the customer. remember when mobile phones came? First they were some yuppie crap with big antennaes that cost a fortune, but then suddendly many companies offered the servce and phones got cheap and service plans flexible. So, I think with some competition on the MMO market we could expect at least some kind of activity from the devs?