Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Impressions

ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Day 1 Appalling

Appalling character models, looking like aliens from x-file, slim and long legs and arms, extremly silly looking faces, cartoony even, mixed with a bit Asian style. I began to skip cut-scenes and dialogues during the fourth quest already. For me playing a game means - interacting and controling my character. The dialogue and cut-scene system KEEPS taking off the control of my character and make me watch some laughable cut-scenes, which Uwe Boll could write better. Afterall, even the worst film writer/director is still better than the best IT programmer. Funny they spent all this milions on professional voice actors, yet not a single penny on professional story writers. (thanks to further imdb demonstration - majority of their writers, including senior writers and lead writers, have no history on IMDB whatsoever, i.e. SWTOR is possibly their first professional contract in this industry).

The camera is messed up and clunky, the turning is too fast, and reducing sensitivity makes the mouse too slow in menus. Apparently, the automatic camera rotation (to the center behind the back of the character) can't be turned off in options, I'm limited to 4 ability bars, graphic options are limited to "textures, resolutions, shadows", UI is immovable and fixed on place,  the technical side Is simply appalling and clunky. Is this supposed to be AAA title?

Day 2 Abysmal

Tried my first Flashpoint. Ran it through in two people with no problems, even though it was recommended to have 4. In my manio-cut-scene skipping and dialogues-fast-forwarding, I was limited by my group partner, since our dialogues had to be synchronized. Abysmal design. During these dialogues, even though I was clicking on dialogue lines, my group buddy was speaking all the time (must had a higher social rating, as I was told). So I was just passively watching some abysmally amateurish dialogues for 50% of the time we were in. Incredible.

Apart from that, I got a companion, some red-skinned mutant with a Rhino head that kept commenting on everything I did. Good thing is, after I picked my crew skills (crafting) I could send him to a 3 minute gathering mission, which I kept using all day thereafter.  Apparently, at later levels, I was told I have to use the companion system in combat, manage his inventory and skills, otherwise the combat gets incredibly hard. WHY ON EARTH there's a an NPC companion system in MMORPG, when there's thousands of people around me? 

Day 3  Horror

I could no longer stand the endless same-looking corridors of Coruscant. In addition, my character looked  like a clown that had been tortured on rack all his childhood. I decided to roll a cyborg, which has basically the same appearance-customization options as the human I had before, just that he can wear some fancy sun glasses. After a couple of hours, I noticed I'm getting the same skills as I had on my previous character, with slighly different name, so I rerolled again. This time a Trooper, and with my dialogue-skipping technique™, I was able to get to level 15 on that day. I noticed, the skills I used at level 2, I kept using at level 15 (rockets, granade and reload from time to time). My companion now doesn't look like a red-skinned mutant with a Rhino head, but instead like a red-skinned mutant with a cat-like head. He's annoying me to the same extent though.

Day 4 Uninstall

The game flow seems not to be changing, just the environment shifts a little. Pick up main quest -> 2-3 supplementary quests, kill the nearest mobs -> turn the quests, get main quest, run to next hub, pick 2-3 supplementary quests, kill the nearest mobs -> turn the quests, get main quest run, run to next hub, pick 2-3 supplementary quests,...

I can't see here any longetivy, nor potential, nor craftsmanship, nor passion, nor innovation. This was all done by managerial busy-bodies, who believe that the marketing is more important than the game itself (which is true to an extent).  Bioware games are not really interactive movies, as often labelled, but rather uninteractive games. TOR is no different, half of the time you'll be looking at poorly executed and amateurish dialogues and cut-scenes and half of the time you'll be pressing the same three keys in combat (or running back and forth through the same coruscant corridors), at least, that was my experience. I deeply regret the decision to buy this P.O.S.

REALITY CHECK

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Thillian

Day 1 Appalling
    Appalling character models, looking like aliens from x-file, slim and long legs and arms, extremly silly looking faces, cartoony even, mixed with a bit Asian style. I began to skip cut-scenes and dialogues during the fourth quest already. For me playing a game means - interacting and controling my character. The dialogue and cut-scene system KEEPS taking off the control of my character and make me watch some laughable cut-scenes, which Uwe Boll could write better. Afterall, even the worst film writer/director is still better than the best IT programmer. Funny they spent all this milions on professional voice actors, yet not a single penny on professional story writers.
    The camera is all fucked up, the turning is too fast, and reducing sensitivity makes the mouse too slow in menus. Apparently, the automatic camera rotation (to the center behind the back of the character) can't be turned off in options, I'm limited to 4 ability bars, graphic options are limited to "textures, resolutions, shadows", UI is immovable and fixed on place,  the technical side Is simply appalling.
    Day 2 Abysmal
    Tried my first Flashpoint. Ran it through in two people with no problems, even though it was recommended to have 4. In my manio-cut-scene skipping and dialogues-fast-forwarding, I was limited by my group partner, since our dialogues had to be synchronized. Abysmal design. During these dialogues, even though I was clicking on dialogue lines, my group buddy was speaking all the time (must had a higher social rating, as I was told). So I was just passively watching some abysmally amateurish dialogues for 50% of the time we were in. Incredible.
    Apart from that, I got a companion, some red-skinned mutant with a Rhino head that kept commenting on everything I did. Good thing is, after I picked my crew skills (crafting) I could send him to a 3 minute gathering mission, which I kept using all day thereafter.  Apparently, at later levels, I was told I have to use the companion system in combat, manage his inventory and skills, otherwise the combat gets incredibly hard. WHY ON EARTH there's a an NPC companion system in MMORPG, when there's thousands of people around me? Abysmal. 
    Day 3  Horror
    I can't no longer stand the endless same-looking corridors of Coruscant. In addition, my character looks like a clown that has been tortured on rack all his childhood. I decided to roll a cyborg, which has basically the same appearance-customization options as the human I had before, just that he can wear some fancy sun glasses. After a couple of hours, I noticed I'm getting the same skills as I had on my previous character, with slighly different name, so I rerolled again. This time a Trooper, and with my dialogue-skipping technique™, I was able to get to level 15 on that day. I noticed, the skills I used at level 2, I kept using at level 15 (rockets, granade and reload from time to time). My companion now doesn't look like a red-skinned mutant with a Rhino head, but instead like a red-skinned mutant with a cat-like head. He's annoying the same extent though.
    Day 4 Uninstall
    The game flow seems not to be changing, just the environment shifts a little. Pick up main quest -> 2-3 supplementary quests, kill the nearest mobs -> turn the quests, get main quest, run to next hub, pick 2-3 supplementary quests, kill the nearest mobs -> turn the quests, get main quest run, run to next hub, pick 2-3 supplementary quests,...
    I can't see here any longetivy, nor potential, nor craftsmanship, nor passion, nor innovation. This was all done by managerial busy-bodies, who believe that the marketing is more important than the game itself (which is true to an extent).  Bioware games are not really interactive movies, as often labelled, but rather uninteractive games. TOR is no different, half of the time you'll be looking at poorly executed and amateurish dialogues and cut-scenes and half of the time you'll be pressing the same three keys in combat (or running back and forth through the same coruscant corridors), at least, that was my experience. I deeply regret the decision to buy this P.O.S.

Skipping the dialogue would ruin my game too. But millions of players loving the dialogue cant be wron, and even the dialogue gives me control over my character. My best advice to you, uninstall the game and never look back to either the game as the mmorpg.com swtor forums

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I got to the part where you said the programmers wrote the story and that they didn't spend any money on writers and stopped reading.

If there are any facts in the rest of this post, I wouldn't know. Here's a tip: start off with facts and then throw the wild untrue claims in at the end.

At least that way you'll keep the people who actually know the truth until the end of your huge post.

You gave me a good laugh with that one though, so thanks for that.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

cool story

What's funny is you could have spared yourself the money by watching a video or reading a review in order to determine that the game wasn't for you.

But no, you sure showed Bioware by spending 60 bucks on their game and writing this little here forum post :p

• DensetsiDensetsi Member Posts: 62

Don't know much about the new star wars game but sounds like someone needs a more positive xmas spirit :D! *hugs*

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

"Milions of people can't be wrong" and "get the facts right " (without actually stating them) could very well describe the fanboy community of swtor on these forums.

REALITY CHECK

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Day 1 Appalling

Day 2 Abysmal

Day 3  Horror

Day 4 Uninstall

Skipping the dialogue would ruin my game too. But millions of players loving the dialogue cant be wron, and even the dialogue gives me control over my character. My best advice to you, uninstall the game and never look back to either the game as the mmorpg.com swtor forums

I skipped most of the dialogue in DAO and ME, but still enjoyed them a lot.  I wonder what makes the story so much more vital to enjoying TOR?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• TeiloTeilo Member Posts: 284

Too long and boring, I hit the space bar.

SWTOR on the other hand is great. :p

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

@OP sounds to me you're just generally worn out on MMOs

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

"Milions of people can't be wrong" and "get the facts right " (without actually stating them) could very well describe the fanboy community of swtor on these forums.

And your 2-bit rant did very well to pin-point their troll counterparts lol.

Really? You want proof that Bioware doesn't have their engineers and programmers write the story. REALLY?

We'll just start off with this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320395/fullcredits#writers

Randy Begel    writer

Charles Boyd    writer

Jennifer Brandes Hepler    senior writer

Aaron de Orive    additional story ideas

Daniel Erickson    lead writer

Alex Freed    senior writer

Travis Greene    additional story ideas

Rebecca Harwick    writer

Chris Hepler    writer

Tyler Hitchings    writer

Hall Hood    senior writer

Drew Karpyshyn    senior writer

Mary Kirby    writer

Neil Pollner    writer

Ian Ryan    writer

Jessica Sliwinski    writer

Moving right along this is the listing for the Writer position at Bioware, it clearly details the requirements to get a job there as a writer, I won't post the whole thing because it's really long, but heres the link as well:

https://jobs.ea.com/search/view.do?id=a0z50000000snDI

Highlights :

QUALIFICATIONS

1. BS/BA degree or equivalent professional experience; and demonstrated writing skills via portfolio

2. 2-5 years professional writing experience preferred.

3. Proven examples of professional level writing ability, editing and document formatting skills

4. Must have thorough understanding of the needs of the end-user as to write from that perspective

5. Must self-educate through documents and product use

6. Must differentiate between elementary and ancillary information

7. Must be able to recognize potential problems in plots, characters, and areas, while propose/brainstorm appropriate solutions with the lead writer/lead designer

8. Willingness and ability to meet aggressive deadlines and extraordinary attention to details

9. Strong research, analytical and problem solving skills

10. Strong oral communication and interpersonal skills (cross-functional team environments)

11. The ability to work within the framework of the overall story to create interesting plots and subplots for an area

12. Be aware and sensitive to what resources (art, programming) are available, and the ability to work within these limits when devising plots and characters

13. High level of flexibility with regard to change in direction or/and rewrites

14. Familiarity with the fantasy genre and role-playing games is a must.

15. Should have some experience with the NWN editor.

My favorite part:

(speaking about the use of the NWN editor required to apply for the job)

Remember, this module is not being judged on scripting. A simple set of characters standing in a row with dialogue that can be played in-game is something anyone with basic computer skills can figure out how to set up in under an hour.

Edited to add: Notice the parts in red. The OP said "Funny they spent all this milions on professional voice actors, yet not a single penny on professional story writers."

Seeing the problem here?

Good enough?

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

First flashpoint is a 2 man btw (lol) ... I solo'd it with companion at level 11.

Later flashpoints are "OMG this sh#t is crazy! .... Aaaarg ... /die"

But whatever ... to each their own. This game keeps getting better and better as I play it. The first two planets are helmet classes to train new players. Once past this game opens up nicely, has great story and my character and companions are becoming a blast to play.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by dubyahite

Really? You want proof that Bioware doesn't have their engineers and programmers write the story. REALLY?

We'll just start off with this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320395/fullcredits#writers

Randy Begel    writer

Charles Boyd    writer

Jennifer Brandes Hepler    senior writer

Aaron de Orive    additional story ideas

Good enough?

This is exactly what I was TALKING ABOUT.

Look at the names, click on them on imdb.com one by one. They have ZERO HISTORY IN WRITING A SCRIPT OR ANYTHING. In fact, their only item on their history is SWTOR. Some of them have assisted on Dragon Age or Mass Effect, but thas just underlines the fact that they're all coming from video game industry and not from film industry - unlike voice actors. Thank you for demonstrating my point of view. A Little less testosteron next time, if there's a risk that you didn't get a full grasp of the thread.

Their job requirement of 2-5 years of wriing experience is laughable, most of their writers have no writing history registered on imdb, so I wonder what they were writing? Were they writing some side quests for NWN mods? That's fabulous qualification yep, and surely proves your point eh?

Charles boyd

Filmography

Hide HideWriter (1 title)

2011Star Wars: The Old Republic (Video Game) (writer) 

Randy Begel   

Filmography

Hide HideWriter (1 title)

2011Star Wars: The Old Republic (Video Game) (writer) 

REALITY CHECK

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

Poor team really. Appart from few names involved as assisstant writers for ME or DA:O no one has any projects in the past. I find that hard to believe after so much money spent in development. Wasn't the story the main selling point of this game?

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Day 1 Appalling

SNIP!

Were you or have you ever been a fan of Star Wars Galaxies? is that sore patch on your arse giving you jip? then try Preperation SWG sooothes even the most butthurt ex-stars Wars Galaxies player in seconds.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Well you are ignoring half my post but ok lets go down that road.

IMDB doesn't track many forms of media. They track TV shows, movies, and to a lesser extend video games.

Wanna know what they don't track? Newspapers, books, comic books, blogs and news websites, theatre, and any other form of writing you can come up with.

This does not mean that those people are not professional writers like the OP claimed. They are. 

Alexander Freed: http://www.librarything.com/author/freedalexander

Drew Karpyshyn: http://www.librarything.com/search.php?search=Drew+Karpyshyn&searchtype=work&searchtype=work&sortchoice=0

Mary Kirby:  From http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Mary_Kirby  "A writer at BioWareMary Kirby possesses a degree in Creative Writing. She has helped to create Dragon Age: Origins."

Those are just the ones that have written books that I could find. Who knows what other backgrounds some of the other WRITERS might have. Newspapers? Magazines? Websites? I don't know, and I'm getting tired of looking this crap up for you.

Beyond all that, they were hired to write. That is what their job is. By definition that makes them professional writers.

Any other questions?

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

Again, thank you for the imbd link, that just clears it perfectly.

Lead Writer -- Daniel Erikson -  two registered items on imdb - SWTOR and Dragon Age.

Senior Writer - Hall Hood - One item on imdb - SWTOR

Senior Writer - Alex Freed - One item on imdb - SWTOR

Last Senior Writer - Drew Karpyshin - SWTOR and Mass Effect 1 and assistance on Dragon Age.

Then about 10 regular writers with a single history on imdb - SWTOR.

Whereas voice actors are coming from top industry - that dubbed dozens of films, even holywood films and series. If they have wanted they could hire top quality story writers coming from films or books or theater industry. But no, their senior and lead writers and obviously, other regular writers, are inexperienced people in story-writing for video games and/or films with no recorded history on imdb whatsoever. You're saying they wrote a comic book? Or were writing for a SF magazine? Well, is that a proper qualification for 130$ mil project?

REALITY CHECK

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

I agree that they are not firsdt class writers.

On the other hand they write for video gamers. Probably the group of people with the least attention span.

:P

Lead Writer -- Daniel Erikson -  two registered items on imdb - SWTOR and Dragon Age.

Last Senior Writer - Drew Karpyshin - SWTOR and Mass Effect 1 and assistance on Dragon Age.

Whereas voice actors are coming from top industry - that dubbed dozens of films, even holywood films and series. If they have wanted they could hire top quality story writers coming from films or books or theater industry. But no, their senior and lead writers and obviously, other regular writers, are inexperienced people in story-writing for video games and/or films with no recorded history on imdb whatsoever. You're saying they wrote a comic book? Or were writing for a SF magazine? Well, is that a proper qualification for 130$ mil project?

The OP said that they weren't professional writers. Very clearly stated that. Again, IMDB doesn't report on very many forms of writing.

These people are in fact professional writers. Many of them have written BOOKS.  I linked them up there. Are you saying that authors are not professional writers?  

Are comic book writers not professional writers?

I'm really surprised to see you make that argument. Who are you to say that someone who went to college for creative writing, wrote a bunch of books, and got a job at Bioware writing is not a professional writer. 

This is just blowing my mind right now that you are making this argument. 

I'm not debating the quality of their previous work. That's not what's at issue here. The OP claimed they didn't spend a penny on professional writers. That is very clearly wrong.

If you get a degree in writing, then make your living by writing, you are a freaking professional writer.  

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

The OP said that they weren't professional writers. Very clearly stated that. Again, IMDB doesn't report on very many forms of writing.

These people are in fact professional writers. Many of them have written BOOKS.  I linked them up there. Are you saying that authors are not professional writers?  

I'm really surprised to see you make that argument. Who are you to say that someone who went to college for creative writing, wrote a bunch of books, and got a job at Bioware writing is not a professional writer. 

I'm not debating the quality of their previous work. That's not what's at issue here. The OP claimed they didn't spend a penny on professional writers. That is very clearly wrong.

If you get a degree in writing, then make your living by writing, you are a freaking professional writer.  

Last resort is to get ahold of one word and stick to it until the final end. How do you know they have a degree in writing, and make a living? Just because they wrote a comic book, doesn't mean they actually made money of it.  I know a couple of people that write stories for a SF magazine, yet they hardly would call themselves professional writers. You're not debating the quality of their previous work? Well,  I am. And you're in my thread. 

In my OP I said "they didnt spend a single penny on professional writers" - they hired people with no history on IMDB whatsoever and made them lead writers and senior writers --- i.e. they were not professional writers before. SWTOR was possibly their first professional contract in this industry.

REALITY CHECK

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Originally posted by Timukas

In my OP I said "they didnt spend a single penny on professional writers" - they hired people with no history on IMDB whatsoever and made them lead writers and senior writers --- i.e. they were not professional writers before. SWTOR was possibly their first professional contract in this industry.

So what? Everyone starts from somewhere. Basically you cannot find anything else to fuel your hatered and you come out with pure nonsense? :)

You mean, saying the story is amateurish and backing it up with the imdb history, which shows that most of the SWTOR writers have no history in this industry, is hatred and pure nonsense?

REALITY CHECK

Last resort is to get ahold of one word and stick to it until the final end. How do you know they have a degree in writing, and make a living? Just because they wrote a comic book, doesn't mean they actually made money of it.  I know a couple of people that write stories for a SF magazine, yet they hardly would call themselves professional writers. You're not debating the quality of their previous work? I am. And you're in my thread.

You didn't read the post I made with links to the books that they have written. With a link on the dragon age wiki that states that Mary Kirby has a degree in creative writing.  

At this point, you don't even have the faintest idea what you are talking about.  

IMDB is not the source to go to when looking for a writer's experience unless it's TV or movie related.  Simple as that. 

The people I linked are real, full fledged, published authors. You obviously didn't even read my post or follow the links.  You're the one asking for proof. I gave it to you. 

You're clinging to the IMDB thing too much. Again IMDB DOESN'T TRACK MOST FORMS OF WRITTEN MEDIA.

These people didn't write for some stupid sitcom that got canceled after a year so IMDB doesn't have info on them. These people are authors, comic book writers, college graduates, and their profession is writing. 

If your PROFESSION is WRITING, then you are in fact a PROFESSIONAL WRITER.

This is the dumbest argument I have ever been in. Good night. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

IMDB does track video games media and films media. SWTOR is a video game with strong emphasis ont cut-scenes, trying to create a film-like experience. Majority of the SWTOR writers have no history recorded on imdb, therefore, SWTOR is possibly their first professional contract in this industry. It doesn't matter if they wrote 5 comics and 3 novels for a SF magazine, SWTOR is not a magazine or a comic book. 

REALITY CHECK

Um...what? You're just making stuff up now. You're not even reading the links that you are providing as evidence.

All of the senior or lead writers besided alex freed, and hall hood have worked on previous bioware games, and alex freed has written several books and comic books for bioware set in the TOR timeline. 

Mary Kirby http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3682212/

Daniel Erickson http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3699178/

Jennifer Helper http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1639951/

Drew Karpyshyn: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1891010/

Alex Freed hasn't worked on any games but he has written several books for Bioware and comic books IN THE OLD REPUBLIC UNIVERSE.

The only senior writer I can't find anything on is Hall Hood 

Oh yeah, those SWTOR books by Freed, yeah that's canon. Liscensed by LA. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

Close your eyes, control your breath, count to ten. And read again my previous post.

REALITY CHECK