Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Day one release judgement

calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

Please do me the curtesy of reading my post before replying to this topic.

By definition SWTOR is a launch day product and should be judged against other launch day products.

Somewhere along the way we as gamers and mmo players became more and more demanding, we expect more from our games than 5-10 years ago that is completely natural but our vision is flawed.

We judge a day one title against a title with 7 years of pain sweat nerfs and tears, we expect magically for a new mmo to be already at year 7 evolution and in the very same breath we rip into them for being a clone...

Yes years have past but and invations in the industry have taken hold but still a day one product is still a day one product.

Look at wow (I personally hate wow with a vengeance tried it and hated it 4 times due to friends playing) try to remember how basic it was at day one, try to remember how many expansions and all the improvements.

EQ, the grand daddy of modern first person view (not counting m59) look at the changes over all the expansions and time.

AC, AoC, AO lol

The list goes on.

Most of them had extremely painful births.

SWTOR is not the most inovative mmo, not the best, I personally love it due to the storyline and SW content, far more than SWG (my second favourite mmo) it may be a themepark mmo but I am discovering lore and things about sw in a most enjoyable fashion.

I find myself enjoying playing solo, I find myself enjoying running a guild for my friends and find heroic and points to be loads of fun  in groups.

But I have faith in bioware, I realise as a content developer myself for my own game that it would be suicide for them to not build on this base system for the future.

So I am cautiously optimistic, as a base day one product for me and my friends swtor is fun and enjoyable with a stable network and code infrastructure, I hope things like the space combat, pvp and social side to the game get fleshed out (I find the space combat to be a fun distraction)

This view is from chatting in general taken up by alot of the people actually in game, who probably haven't slept most of this week and do not visit the forums to grip or hate because they are having fun.

What are your thoughts on this ?