Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expansions are ftp?

ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

I know of no other ftp game that "sells" expansions, its not really ftp then is it?  I understand the item mall concept, and I do like it beacuse now I dont have to decide which game to sub to, just log on the one i feel like playing.

Did i get this wrong? EQII is still charging for expansions, right?

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

Comments

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

I think the only expansion you do not get is the latest one, Age of Discovery (which from what I gather, you're not missing a lot of right now).

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78

ep2 is free up 2 the latest 2 xpacs

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78

nah you have to buy the other also if u want the end game content

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

ok, thats what i thought ( they sell the latest content).  So its ftp up to a point, not like Atalantca or something ( that will never charge for new content)

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• lasu1lasu1 Member Posts: 8

You have every right to be confused -- I was in a similar position as you are a few months ago.

Basically it breaks down like this. Levels 1-90 are legitimately free to play. Depending on your dedication, that can be anywhere from weeks to months of playtime (not considering power levelling...as in, have a level 90 help you rake in XP.) From a new player's perspective (like me), levels 1-90 take quite awhile. There is a TON of content -- many, many, many zones and lots of dungeons with solo and/or group content. On Freeport (my server) I get LFG queue pops fairly quickly - note: I am a healer, so that might explain why it's so quick.

Now note that I say you get the "content" for free. This you do. However, you must pay money to unlock chat functions, broker use, AA slider control, etc.

About the xpacs. DoV is not something that you need until level 80ish (I think...). DoV costs $20 in SC points (which is, I believe, currently $10 with the double SC point sale.) If you are a high level character, you're most definitely going to want DoV, from what I understand.

The other "xpac" is AoD (Age of Discovery). This is tricky. AoD is never actually required. It's basically a feature pack which offers mercs, reforging abilities, tradeskill apprentices, 20 more AA, and the ability to make your own dungeons. You don't ever really NEED to get AoD; however, I'm a new player and I bought AoD because the mercs are worth it (imo.)

Long story short - the game is basically free up to very high level content. However, you must pay to unlock chat/broker/etc. DOV is not required until you're very high level, and AoD is not required at all (but can be quite useful while levelling.)

I hope this helped.

• I heard someone make the claim that if anything in the game costs real money then it isn't f2p in the game I am currently playing. So after a post in this thread made this same statement that got me wondering: are there any games completely free to play (other than an item mall as long as there is no great need to buy from it to enjoy the game)?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by jeddak
    I heard someone make the claim that if anything in the game costs real money then it isn't f2p in the game I am currently playing. So after a post in this thread made this same statement that got me wondering: are there any games completely free to play (other than an item mall as long as there is no great need to buy from it to enjoy the game)?

I don't know, but its a bit much to ask a developer to make a game, host its servers and maintain it for free.

People need to get payed, Companies need to make money, If you like your game support it by paying for it.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development