Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 million subs reached

Congrats to Bioware and team for hitting the one million mark, now the question is how many will we keep and how many more will come into the game. I won't pop the cork yet until after the free month, but so far the doom and gloomers and haters have been proven wrong with their predictions.

http://torwars.com/2011/12/23/ding-1-million-subscriptions-reached-for-swtor/

Comments

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

Nice, but a bit premature. The more telling statistic will be the number of subscriptions at the 1-month mark when people start to get billed.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Huh?  I thought they had a million and a half preorders?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Originally posted by Uronksur

Nice, but a bit premature. The more telling statistic will be the number of subscriptions at the 1-month mark when people start to get billed.

Yeah.......that's why he said he wouldn't pop the cork until after the first mon.......

You know what? Never mind.

Excellent point, man!

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

thats incredibly low for what most expected, and "registered "is that with actuall game copy, or just registered in theirs post beta system ( release one ), played early access, but decided game isnt worth 40~ pounds so never actually bought it, yet i was actually playing player for couple days

in any case, even if its 1mln game copies.. i find it low, and future is grim for swtor, there is no way they will produce new content at any good rate, considering how long swtor was developed and how little actuall content it have..

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Smikis

there is no way they will produce new content at any good rate

You were saying?  http://www.swtor.com/blog/sneak-peek-james-ohlen

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

Originally posted by Jarazar

there is no way they will produce new content at any good rate

You were saying?  http://www.swtor.com/blog/sneak-peek-james-ohlen

and ill repeat my self, 3 new bosses, + one flaspoint, and if i compare to current flashpoints, it will be barely fun for first run and contain 3 doing nothing bosses..

if that will keep you playing for next couple months.. you have low standarts.. and its preview.. not actuall content.. first content patch always comes early, because it was already in production before launch.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Uronksur

Exactly  

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/324403/Rift-1-million-users-and-second-largest-MMO-in-the-West.html

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

They probably have a buffer with content that is already finished and held it back. The real problem is that it will not last. It will however give them some breathing room.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Well, considering players can't really play their first 30 days w/o subscribing this really isn't much of an annoucement.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

RIFT reached that at a similar speed.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Originally posted by Lowcaian

They probably have a buffer with content that is already finished and held it back. The real problem is that it will not last. It will however give them some breathing room.

So, they're basicly pulling an on disc DLC move ... well, it is EA, so it shouldn't be a shock.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

GRATZ! Just reached a million around the same time that RIFT did.

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

i wonder how many of those subs will cancel when the free 30 days is up.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

There should be a sizeable jump in player registrations over the Xmas weekend.

Fair to assume that TOR will be under quite a few xmas trees this year, hehe

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

With over 200 servers I wiould be shocked if they have not sold over 2 million boxes.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

It's actually past 1 million mark. The post mentioned they had PASSED 1 million registered players.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

Hurray SWTOR !!!

It managed to do something that almost every major MMO launch in the last 3 years did. ( WoW, Age of Conan, Rift and maybe even Aion)   The thing to watch is how many subscription actually hang on past the first 30 days and the critical 60 day mark.

Woot .  I suspect that the OP's number will be much high with just the fans that follow the Star Wars IP, give it a couple days to get some real numbers going.  .

Heck even I am playing through the Story on my Sith and having fun, but just like when I played Dargon Age, Skyrim and Mass Effect, I am still taking time to play an MMORPG, in this case EQ2.  

After playing 40+ hours of SWOTR so far it is really a SRPG  ( Storyline Role Playing Game ) with a few mulitplayer options, it is hardly a Massive Mulitplayer experience.   It may have Massive number of players but you will never see them tucked away in one of the gazillion instances.   If you are curious what Massive Multiplayer is like,  check out Ogrimmar on any of the Heavily Populated WoW servers,  it is a huge town alive with hundreds of other players.  

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

and ill repeat my self, 3 new bosses, + one flaspoint, and if i compare to current flashpoints, it will be barely fun for first run and contain 3 doing nothing bosses..

if that will keep you playing for next couple months.. you have low standarts.. and its preview.. not actuall content.. first content patch always comes early, because it was already in production before launch.

The best thing of fun is that when your standard is lower, your have more fun. ;)

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by Zzad

And it will nose dive with the Amount of Subs in the same time frame as rift  1-2 months guarentee

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

"over one million people are now registered players of the game"

Registered =/= subs.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by Dekarx12

And it will nose drive with the Amount of Subs in the same time frame as rift  1-2 months guarentee

I kind of hope not.

Hear me out guys.

If TOR does alright and stays moderately successful then maybe investors will clamor harder to find that something missing that will bring in 10 million subs. Or even 2 or 3 million.

Because if TOR tanked, EA's the kind of company that'd go out of its way to just trash the whole genre.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by PukeBucket

And it will nose drive with the Amount of Subs in the same time frame as rift  1-2 months guarentee

I kind of hope not.

Hear me out guys.

If TOR does alright and stays moderately successful then maybe investors will clamor harder to find that something missing that will bring in 10 million subs. Or even 2 or 3 million.

Because if TOR tanked, EA's the kind of company that'd go out of its way to just trash the whole genre.

i'd say the opposite if it does tank or at least slowly decline like rift it will show developers that the MMO community finaly is tired of the same old thing year after year

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by PukeBucket

I kind of hope not.
    Hear me out guys.

i'd say the opposite if it does tank or at least slowly decline like rift it will show developers that the MMO community finaly is tired of the same old thing year after year

Well I'd actually say a slow decline could push that agenda as well. Good thought.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Source? have Trion ever announced concrete numbers? I don't think they have so......

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.