Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion account database breached.

2»

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well I never got the email, my wife who had a trial account with no credit card info did.   The problem here is I think its a farce.  This is the same sort of email that LOTRO sent out a while back telling folks their account had been hacked.

Want to know about what happened.  I did not buy the xpac for lotro, nor did the wife.  We were not going back.  Turns out all the folks I talked to who got the email had their accounts banned, and all of them did not order the xpac.  LoL.  I actually called turbine and talked with them, they looked and said oh its our mistake you got the wrong email.

I tried to call trion,  I have yet to talk to anybody, not one live soal, to answer my questions.

This is what I think is happening here with rift.  it did not even make the news or anything. I think they were trying to get folks to log in and reset their passwords to go with the new security.

The bad thing is when did the hack happen,  it never did say.  Was this months ago, was this last week, last month.

Something is very fishy about this.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

Originally posted by popinjay

We recently discovered that unauthorized intruders gained access to a Trion Worlds account database. The database in question contained information including user names, encrypted passwords, dates of birth, email addresses, billing addresses, and the first and last four digits and expiration dates of customer credit cards.

There is no evidence, and we have no reason to believe, that full credit card information was accessed or compromised in any way. We have already taken further action to strengthen our systems, even as we, with external security experts, continue to research the extent of the unauthorized access.

You will notice on your next log in to our website that you will be required to change your password, and existing Mobile Authenticator users will also need to reconnect their Authenticator. When you log in, you will be prompted to provide a new password, security questions and answers, and be given the option to connect your account to our Mobile Authenticator to enhance your account’s security.

If you have used your username and password for other accounts, especially financial accounts or accounts with personal information, we suggest you change your passwords on those accounts as well. We recommend that you carefully review your statements, account activity, and credit reports to help protect the security of those accounts. If you need information on how to obtain your credit report or believe any such accounts have been breached, please visit www.trionworlds.com/AccountNotification for more information.

You should have continued, uninterrupted access to RIFT, and we do not anticipate any disruptions to your playing time.

Nevertheless, if you own the RIFT game, you will be granted three (3) days of complimentary RIFT game time once you update your password and security questions.

Additionally, once you update your account and set a new password, your account will be granted a Moneybags’ Purse, which increases your looted coin by 10%, even if you have not yet purchased RIFT.

Please log in to https://rift.trionworlds.com (and we recommend that you copy and paste this link into your browser to access the site) to update your password, security questions and Authenticator.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you have further questions, please visit our website, www.trionworlds.com/AccountNotificationFAQ.

– The Trion Worlds Team

First month: Mass accounts stolen from customers under Trion's nose. Trion invents "Coin Lock" and declares "all clear". Strike One.

Ten months later, Trion's database is hacked under Trion's nose and customers have credit card info stolen. Trion claims "You should have continued, uninterrupted access to RIFT, and we do not anticipate any disruptions to your playing time" as the pro. Lulz. Strike Two.

Funny thing because when I quit, I thought I put Trion Worlds on the "no contact" list but meh.

Trion for the future... when someone is having to cancel their credit card a few days before the biggest shopping day of the year, giving them three days to play a game and a "Moneybags" pixel item is hardly a make-up for your lax in security since Day 1.

coin lock was one of the worst implementation of security ever.  It was one of the reasons I didn't sub past the free month.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

On a sidenote, i haven't had an active sub and enjoy my 3 days so far. Getting a group as support was easy, too bad i can't really estimate the population on my server this xmas-weekend.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by erictlewis

Well I never got the email, my wife who had a trial account with no credit card info did.   The problem here is I think its a farce.  This is the same sort of email that LOTRO sent out a while back telling folks their account had been hacked.

Want to know about what happened.  I did not buy the xpac for lotro, nor did the wife.  We were not going back.  Turns out all the folks I talked to who got the email had their accounts banned, and all of them did not order the xpac.  LoL.  I actually called turbine and talked with them, they looked and said oh its our mistake you got the wrong email.

I tried to call trion,  I have yet to talk to anybody, not one live soal, to answer my questions.

This is what I think is happening here with rift.  it did not even make the news or anything. I think they were trying to get folks to log in and reset their passwords to go with the new security.

The bad thing is when did the hack happen,  it never did say.  Was this months ago, was this last week, last month.

Something is very fishy about this.

It made the news

http://www.trionworlds.com/en/games/account-notification?__utma=1.1823811541.1303269098.1324567844.1324801444.8&__utmb=1.2.10.1324801444&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1324801444.8.7.utmcsr=google%7cutmccn=(organic)%7cutmcmd=organic%7cutmctr=trion&__utmv=-&__utmk=124728970

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.