Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NGErs now in our boat

routesmanroutesman Member UncommonPosts: 66

Now they feel our pain... they feel their game striped away from them.

I do honestly feel bad for those who loved SWG to the bitter end.  Its hard to see something you've invested so much of your life in go away.  But then again, they got their home by evicting us from ours... so I can't feel too bad.

Comments

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

They didn't do anything to you, I would say Lucas is probably 70-80% responsible for them doing a major redo of the game, most give Sony most of the blame, but I have never seen a studio do the massive overhaul of a game, the way they did on their own...It is the price you pay for having someone be able to say yay/nay on everything you do.

I left after the NGE, but i truely doubt Sony wanted to do that drastic overhaul, and were 'forced' by Lucas to do something like it.

Sony screws a lot of stuff up, but like I said, I have never seen a company willingly spend the amount of money and time it probably took to redo a game, and in the process screw so much stuff up...They basically relaunched it, and made a new game to a degree.

Kind of petty to be mad at those that liked the changes or played afterward, not like they had any hand in it.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

My apology in advance because this is somewhat controversial.

It may have taken nearly a decade but Lucas Arts finally got their own WoW.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Jeez man, do you think those who played NGE had petitioned SOE and signed up to a waiting list to play for after when Pre-Cu got screwed.

You got screwed, they got screwed, you didn't get NGE players taunting you that they had screwed your game over.

I can understand you hating SOE and LA
  • routesmanroutesman Member UncommonPosts: 66

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

Meh.  The only thing about it that I feel is controversial is the fact that companies seem to fail to realize there will NEVER be another WoW.  Just like there will never be another Wayne Gretsky, Michael Jordan, or (ugh) Hulk Hogan.  These people made something that wasn't super mainstream, mainstream.  WoW did the same for the MMO genre, for better or worse.  WoW has so many things going for it no other MMO will ever have.

1) Great IP the game designers own: If Blizzards wants furries and space goats in their game, they don't have to worry about Paramount or LucasArts coming in and say, "What are you thinking?"

2) Low system requirements: you can buy a computer off the self at WALMART and play WoW.  From Wal-mart...  that means your average redneck has access to WoW.  That makes a lot bigger customer base.

3) The game is easy: My wife and i are in a casual raiding group, and 3 (or is it 4 now) weeks into Dragon Soul and we are already 7 of 8 in the new bosses.  Now some of the high end raiding groups were 8 of 8 on the first week; but, they also had heroic gear from Firelands that we did not.  Anyone can play effectively in WoW.  You can get addons that tell you what to do when.  Addons that tell you to get out of badstuff with blaring alarms.  And even ones that tell you what button to push in your DPS rotation.  Addons that Blizzard allows.

4) Marketing: and Chuck Norris pities DA' fool who argues this point with me.  (I think you get my point)

5) Fanbois like no other.  I mentioned that LotRO had weapons that leveled (end-game) and a friend of mine who plays WoW said: "Oh, they stole that idea from legacy items in WoW".  Umm... Mines of Moria pre-dates legacy items.  But the Blizzard fanbois won't hear of it.  If you mention getting an achievement in a game, WoW had achievements first... No it didn't... City of Heroes had them LONG before.  Heck, I even remember someone calling EQ (not EQ2, but EQ), a WoW clone.

And with this stupidity comes mob mentality...

• routesmanroutesman Member UncommonPosts: 66

Originally posted by RefMinor

Jeez man, do you think those who played NGE had petitioned SOE and signed up to a waiting list to play for after when Pre-Cu got screwed.

You got screwed, they got screwed, you didn't get NGE players taunting you that they had screwed your game over.

Take a look in this forum (and others) and see how many of them were telling us who hated the NGE to 'get over it'... that sounds like taunting to me.  And thus the reduced sympathy.

EDIT: Look at the post below this one.  I didn't get dumped.  My girlfriend was taken into a hospital, ripped apart and remade into some WoW-like frankenstein MONSTER...

• VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 353

I played the game from day 1 with 5 of my friends till the end of the first free month...only one of them kept playing it till after NGE.

Sony "ruined" the game because there was not  enough player base to keep i financially viable.

you SWTOR victims need to stop crying about the girlfriend that dumped you 17 years ago and move on.

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Hmm
  • ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176
    I feel no sympathy for them. I personally am glad that the game is gone.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by Vercin

you SWTOR victims need to stop crying about the girlfriend that dumped you 17 years ago and move on.

We'll get back to this when you realize your hot new gf is opening her legs to the whole world and is not really listening to what you would want from her.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Yes, and that is what they were after all along.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

Would someone please close this gloat thread.  Lucas Arts killed the game, not much more can be said about it.  As for where the "update" came from, we don't really know for sure.  I do find it telling that the person responsible for letting it go live regrets it and he did not say anything about LA being involved so I tend to believe that they (LA) was not involved.

Either way, the game was murdered.  No crime was commited, no one is going to jail.  SOE was required to terminate it because they no longer had a license to operate the game (what idiot does not put a right to continue operation clause into thier contract?).

I feel sorry for the loss of the game and my sympathies go out to all of those who lost thier homes away from reality.

Edit: for those of you intrested SOE has offered a Star Wars Galaxies Memory Book for free: http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/pdf/SWGMB.pdf#toolbar=true&scrollbar=true

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by routesman

Take a look in this forum (and others) and see how many of them were telling us who hated the NGE to 'get over it'... that sounds like taunting to me.  And thus the reduced sympathy.

EDIT: Look at the post below this one.  I didn't get dumped.  My girlfriend was taken into a hospital, ripped apart and remade into some WoW-like frankenstein MONSTER...

The vast majority of the MMORPG posters that told the Pre-NGE crowd complainers to "Get Over It' were pre-NGE vets themselves that were actually able to Adapt and move on.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by kzaske

Would someone please close this gloat thread.  Lucas Arts killed the game, not much more can be said about it.  As for where the "update" came from, we don't really know for sure.  I do find it telling that the person responsible for letting it go live regrets it and he did not say anything about LA being involved so I tend to believe that they (LA) was not involved.

Either way, the game was murdered.  No crime was commited, no one is going to jail.  SOE was required to terminate it because they no longer had a license to operate the game (what idiot does not put a right to continue operation clause into thier contract?).

I feel sorry for the loss of the game and my sympathies go out to all of those who lost thier homes away from reality.

Edit: for those of you intrested SOE has offered a Star Wars Galaxies Memory Book for free: http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/pdf/SWGMB.pdf#toolbar=true&scrollbar=true

They had the option to renew the license, Smed just said that it just would cost more than it was worth to them, and they didnt really expect to compete with the new Star Wars MMO.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

With the game closing it would be nice to think that pre and post NGE SWG players alike all just stfu about it now really. Unlikely but one lives in hope.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Agree....  SAD.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

With the game closing it would be nice to think that pre and post NGE SWG players alike all just stfu about it now really. Unlikely but one lives in hope.

Then, why oh why, are you on this forum (SWG Refuge) of all places????

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

We stfu when it suits us.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

Originally posted by evilastro

Originally posted by kzaske

They had the option to renew the license, Smed just said that it just would cost more than it was worth to them, and they didnt really expect to compete with the new Star Wars MMO.

Then again you have to read between the lines, it is possible that LA wanted to kill it a year early (the license ran to the end of 2012). All LA had to do was up the price to the point that SOE would be unwilling to pay then LA could claim that it was all down to SOE. Not saying it was the case but pointing out that there are ways to get around contractts and still look like you have the "moral high ground".

• TettersTetters Member Posts: 221

Originally posted by Lowcaian

Are you a moron? Do you think we asked for the NGE, do you think we stood up and clapped our hands when 60% of the playerbase left overnight? Do you think we said, - Good now we have much more space?

No one on their right mind would think that .... and as a SWG vet I hated what was done with the game, but I was happy that there were still people who enjoyed the game and kept playing. Its kind of like driving by an old appartment, someone else lives there now, which is way better than it not being there at all ... 

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Tetters

Then, why oh why, are you on this forum (SWG Refuge) of all places????

Quite how me positing the hope for a reduction in crying over spilt milk means that I cannot read and laugh at said crying over spilt milk i'm not sure.

I personally find it rather amusing that people keep banging out the same old tired points and ludicrously rose tinted posts. For all that though it would be nice to think that given the game is now closed there would be a decrease in the melodrama.

Originally posted by Lowcaian

"We stfu when it suits us."

Awesome, hope it's all very cathartic for you. Unlikely, in fact far more likely just to make people more bitter, but there you go.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

The post-NGE players will move on, but the old jaded Galaxies players will last forever.

• Lost_BothanLost_Bothan Member Posts: 27

Originally posted by routesman

And your any better by implying that  we "the NGers"are in "your boat" now?  i guess that means "we" should not have any understanding or sympathy for what you went through before and we face now? So far from what ive read your doing exactly the "same" you say "others" are doing to you.

both versions of the game were dear to different ppl, and to many in their version it was "more then just a game" to them. At this point since its closed its rather moot to argue with one another as we are in the "same position". Some will move on, others will go to the emu, and some will carry the friendships they made elsewhere.

Im of the mind that swg had much potential, especially if elements from both versions were used in combination with each other.

considering the direction the newest SW mmo is taking, i feel that too many games are adpating to "wowlike features" when they instead should have features setting them apart from other games.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by Omali

The post-NGE players will move on, but the old jaded Galaxies players will last forever.

Of course they will move on - to SWTOR, the game that NGE tried to be

• saaysaay Member Posts: 455

Originally posted by wizyy

This is one of the most uninformed, silly posts I've read in a while.

SWG in 2011 was NOTHING like TOR. SWG was player driven in every aspect - had extensive sandbox features from storyteller, crafting, cities, social features etc etc. 

TOR will never be even half the game  that SWG was at either in 2004 or in 2011.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by saay

Originally posted by wizyy

This is one of the most uninformed, silly posts I've read in a while.

SWG in 2011 was NOTHING like TOR. SWG was player driven in every aspect - had extensive sandbox features from storyteller, crafting, cities, social features etc etc. 

TOR will never be even half the game  that SWG was at either in 2004 or in 2011.

NGE TRIED to be the game that Lucasarts wanted it to be - WoW with lightsabers, but SOE couldn't or wouldn't change the whole engine, probably couldn't handle the cost. They really should have done that - make a new game to appease Lucasarts and leave the original game alone.