Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So is EVE going F2P or what?

2»

Comments

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

Here are the two factors that confront Eve when it comes to this issue:

1. Monocles

2. Greed is good.

The community made itself clear and CCP listened?  Good for them.  Some of us, however, are a little more cynical than that.  If you're not familiar with what happened, I have it on good authority that it's in your interest to do a little research before you drop a dime on this game.  Pity, too; it was a fun game.

Peace and safety.

• lumpking69lumpking69 Member Posts: 18

What do you think would need to be done to make an F2P model work. Lets say the devs said "We are going F2P, now Robsolf (or anyone else who wants to take a stab at it) is in charge and he has to make it work the way he thinks it wold work best!"

What do you change to make the game good in F2P while keeping the spirit and  feel of the game intact.  Furthermore, what changes do you think the players would like and hate?

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

you really wouldnt tell until you hit 00 space but Eve has a MASSIVE following. i was talking with a dev who was all cocky about going against them. i think i remember what he said

"i logged into Eve and toured around and there wasn't meny people around anywhere"

"Did you go to 00 space"

"what's that"

Eve has the following that it wont need to go F2P, actually going F2P for Eve would probubly hurt it more than help.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• golabgolab Member UncommonPosts: 21

Generally speaking subscription games only go free to play when they can no longer sell enough subscriptions to keep operating.

Until this is the case with EVE, which doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon., I wouldn't hold your breath for F2P.

"As a foulness ya shall know them."

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I don't see how it could work.  What could CCP sell beyond the current vanity items to generate sufficient revenue to stay in business without turning Eve into pay to win.

Imagine they started selling SP!  The mass exodus would make their head spin.  Or suppose they were dumb enough to start selling ships.  They could crash the game economy overnight.

Eve is the best game on the mmorpg market, please don't advocate destroying it.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Originally posted by Xhieron

Here are the two factors that confront Eve when it comes to this issue:

1. Monocles

2. Greed is good.

The community made itself clear and CCP listened?  Good for them.  Some of us, however, are a little more cynical than that.  If you're not familiar with what happened, I have it on good authority that it's in your interest to do a little research before you drop a dime on this game.  Pity, too; it was a fun game.

Dude get your facts right.

The newsletter was not called "Greed is good", it was called "Greed id good?". Notice the difference? It's REALLY important. The little difference supports what CCP said all along that the newsletter was supposed to promote internal discussion on the topic. Which is why the newsletter had articles FOR MT and AGAINST MT.

Got any facts to back up your claims (re. "good authority")?

Edit: For politeness.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

Well i can tell you this much, if EvE online ever goes F2P...i wont play it at all.

I am happy with the game as it is. CCP just needs to make their next couple of moves land on 1st try.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

EvE will suck if it goes F2P. I'm sure population would go up abit but the game itself will be no where near as epic as it is now. 

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

F2P games are not good. They either have a pay to win system through microtransactions which would completely unbalance the economy, and the income can still be rather unreliable so CCP wouldn't necessarily be able to afford good employees to keep it running smoothly. By having a forced subscription system it guarantees steady income, which CCP can predict and plan around for doing maintenance/upgrades. Eve Online is the only game good enough that I would ever subscribe to, and they DESERVE my money for how much effort they put into this game (despite what some naysayers may say on some of the patches).

Because of the above, putting Eve Online to F2P is such a profoundly bad idea it isn't even worth mentioning. It would lose so much of what makes it great instantly, and would probably be the only thing that could make me unsubscribe.

Where's the any key?

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by lumpking69

So I know they recently added an ingame store for you guys to buy stuff and some other really crazy shit. I figured this was a stepping stone or maybe a red flag signaling the games eventual transition to an F2P model. I don't think the store has been flushed out enough to support an F2P model yet though (correct me if I'm wrong).

Anywho, EVE isnt the only Space MMO anymore. STO is going F2P in jan, SWTOR will be going F2P most likely too. When is EVE going F2P?

Is there any hope for it to go F2P? Are there any legit rumors regarding an F2P model or is it all hearsay? Do you guys think it will go F2P?

I welcome any and all of your thoughts on the subject.

Eve will never go F2P. Assuming that the addition of an ingame store is a signal for a transition to F2P is a blindingly simplistic view. You really need to play Eve to full grok just how idiotic this idea really is. Not saying your an idiot, I am assuming you just don't know the game. But the idea certainly is way off the chart.

Eve, at its very core, is a game of time. You buy game time and then you train skill with that game time, in real time. Building ships and other things for the economy takes manufacturing time. Researching blueprints so that you can make better things take time. Both of these things take days, sometimes weeks of real time to happen. Gathering resources takes hours of (hopefully) online time. And as time passes and you gain skills your effeciency in doing things like mining asteroids goes up. Even gaining isk by way of running missions is ultimately time based for as you learn more skills and can drive better ships you can take better missions that will yield better isk/hr of your time invested.

Eve is a game that you need to spend time with to do pretty much anything. It is a game of patience and planning. One of the most highly tradeable items in the game is gametime itself in the form of PLEX. That is, some people make ISK easier than other, typically depending on how long they have played the game. therefor people will trade their cash for game time and then trade the game time for in game cash. If making 400million isk takes too much time out of your month then paying for 30 days of game time might be worth it to you. If you live in a remote part of Russia then 30 days of game time might be too expensive but if you can make 400 million in 5 days solid days of missioning then boom. you have paid for your other 25 days.

Eve is simply to solidly time based in its fundamental design to ever go F2P. It never will go F2P. F2P is not the right solution for every game out there and it really only works well when they game is well designed for F2P, usually from the beginning.

All die, so die well.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I'm curious what the really crazy shit was. I must have missed out or you're full of bs.

There was a big deal because people saw the POTENTIAL for something ugly, but nothing game changing was ever actually in the store. People got outraged because of the prices of the vanity items and figured the next step was equally expensive "gold ammo". At worst, the addition of the vanity items and the dreaded monocle affected the economy, but nothing that actually affected the game to be considered "really crazy shit". Get your info straight, thnx.

• NudlesNudles Member UncommonPosts: 54

Originally posted by Robsolf

...Of all the MMO's, I'd bet Eve will be the last to go F2P

Couldn't agree more and personally, EvE is one of the very few MMO's out there worth a subscription specially after this summer's CCP's exposure.

EvE's a niche game and i think it has been doing well over the years as it is. Trying to reach for more people/profit without compromising existing customers is a delicate move and recent events voiced player's concerns loudly. If DUST514 plays well and CCP is back on track with EvE's development, i think we have a game with a long life ahead.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

opps

• NumotNumot Member Posts: 10

Question from some who has never played Eve but wants to. If Eve is not f2p why is it in the list of F2P on the game list. Go to game list, click F2P games, scroll down and there is Eve? Is there a way to make Eve kinda of F2P, and if so could someone please explain to me how to do it and how hard it is to do?

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Numot
    Question from some who has never played Eve but wants to. If Eve is not f2p why is it in the list of F2P on the game list. Go to game list, click F2P games, scroll down and there is Eve? Is there a way to make Eve kinda of F2P, and if so could someone please explain to me how to do it and how hard it is to do?

The list is misleading. I think all games with free trial are listed there. You may notice that there is no "heart" aka Free icon on the same line as EVE is listed.

EVE Online sports a feature of ability to convert a Game Time Code into ingame item(PLEX) that can be then sold to other players for ingame currency(ISK).

So while it is not a F2P game, you can pay for the game with inagme currency.

How and how hard to make the money needed for PLEX is purely depending on player abilities.

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

F2P games are not good. They either have a pay to win system through microtransactions which would completely unbalance the economy, and the income can still be rather unreliable so CCP wouldn't necessarily be able to afford good employees to keep it running smoothly. By having a forced subscription system it guarantees steady income, which CCP can predict and plan around for doing maintenance/upgrades. Eve Online is the only game good enough that I would ever subscribe to, and they DESERVE my money for how much effort they put into this game (despite what some naysayers may say on some of the patches).

Because of the above, putting Eve Online to F2P is such a profoundly bad idea it isn't even worth mentioning. It would lose so much of what makes it great instantly, and would probably be the only thing that could make me unsubscribe.

I take it you don't play all that many F2P games, because I have seen game prove you above statment false. Not many, but some. Some do it right and they make more money than any other games, F2P or P2P. Have you ever heard of League of Legends? Not trying to say LoL and Eve are in any way simlar, just saying that if Eve could do F2P the way LoL has then it would be F2P with no P2W.

If you have never played LoL then let me explain how it works. They sale champions, exp boost, ip(in game currency) boost, and skins for rp(points you pay cash for). However, every champion is also buyable with ip, so everyone, F2P and P2P can use the same champs. The skins do nothing but make the champion look different, nothing more. The exp and ip boosts just make getting ingame money and lvling up faster, max summoner lvl of 30. So even if you pay you just look better and grow faster, but you can't buy the win. All of it means nothing, anyone can be beat by anyone, it is a game of pure skill. Did I mention that after being out for just 2 years they have 32 million players worldwide and counting. League of Legends last year became only the 3rd game to be inculded in the ESL. ESL game are now Starcraft 2, Counterstrike 2, and League of Legends. Being in the ESL means that there is a competive tournament streaming live almost every weekend where the best of best team compete for prize money. Last years season one tournament featured I believe and 100k grand prize, Season 2, which started a few weeks ago features a total of 5mil in prize money.

Not bad for a young F2P game. So no, not every F2P game is bad, and if Eve did it right it would be the best thing that ever happened to them. But  they would have to do it right. Maybe have ships, same ships you can buy with isk be aviable for real world cash, maybe sell different skins for ships, maybe sell a body package for ships that make them look competly different. It is possible, not easy, but possible for Eve to go F2P.

To metention a game that was P2P and went F2P, check out Pirates of the Burning sea sometime, once again F2P without P2P, and their player base grow to the point where they needed new servers. They were not expecting so many and it is now doing better than it has in years.

So yes, there is hope that Eve can go F2P and come out better because of it, they just have to do it right, so many F2P games, the P2Ws you metentioned, do it worng. That is why they die off and the ones that do it right live on for years.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

The games 7 bucks on steam....just buy it lol

Maybe by the end of your 30 days youll be buying gametime ingame...but with 15 minutes invested are you really sure you would even play EVE if it were F2P? i remember in my trial i spent about 3 days just trying to get a grasp on the flight mechanics,skill system and economy and im pretty sure i failed pretty bad at it...

P.S F2P players are cannon fodder to subscription players in F2P pvp games...dont do it to yourself man... either pay up or buy Guild Wars.

Originally posted by Kiljaedenas

I take it you don't play all that many F2P games, because I have seen game prove you above statment false. Not many, but some. Some do it right and they make more money than any other games, F2P or P2P. Have you ever heard of League of Legends? Not trying to say LoL and Eve are in any way simlar, just saying that if Eve could do F2P the way LoL has then it would be F2P with no P2W.

If you have never played LoL then let me explain how it works. They sale champions, exp boost, ip(in game currency) boost, and skins for rp(points you pay cash for). However, every champion is also buyable with ip, so everyone, F2P and P2P can use the same champs. The skins do nothing but make the champion look different, nothing more. The exp and ip boosts just make getting ingame money and lvling up faster, max summoner lvl of 30. So even if you pay you just look better and grow faster, but you can't buy the win. All of it means nothing, anyone can be beat by anyone, it is a game of pure skill. Did I mention that after being out for just 2 years they have 32 million players worldwide and counting. League of Legends last year became only the 3rd game to be inculded in the ESL. ESL game are now Starcraft 2, Counterstrike 2, and League of Legends. Being in the ESL means that there is a competive tournament streaming live almost every weekend where the best of best team compete for prize money. Last years season one tournament featured I believe and 100k grand prize, Season 2, which started a few weeks ago features a total of 5mil in prize money.

Not bad for a young F2P game. So no, not every F2P game is bad, and if Eve did it right it would be the best thing that ever happened to them. But  they would have to do it right. Maybe have ships, same ships you can buy with isk be aviable for real world cash, maybe sell different skins for ships, maybe sell a body package for ships that make them look competly different. It is possible, not easy, but possible for Eve to go F2P.

To metention a game that was P2P and went F2P, check out Pirates of the Burning sea sometime, once again F2P without P2P, and their player base grow to the point where they needed new servers. They were not expecting so many and it is now doing better than it has in years.

So yes, there is hope that Eve can go F2P and come out better because of it, they just have to do it right, so many F2P games, the P2Ws you metentioned, do it worng. That is why they die off and the ones that do it right live on for years.

LOL is a static deathmatch moba game...it has no context...

Purchasable Champions = Purchasable Ships?

Purchasable EXP Boost = Purchasable Skills? <--seeing as how theres no exp in eve it translates.

Purchasable Currency Boost = Well...Purchasable Currency Boost.....

Actually you may be on to something here....but the only way i would sign on to this is take the F2P aspect completely out....instead let people play if they buy a ship, but dont allow them to insure it....and same goes for skills, no clones....instead of threatining the economy this would provide a stimulus from time to time at the expense of your average P2W player....

As for the F2P aspect....i got something better....a Ginourmous F2P cruiser that can hold up to 10k people in it, That cruiser will act as an undestructable cruise ship that will travel from sector to sector and give people a chance to see the shit they should be paying for.

Originally posted by youngkg

Maybe by the end of your 30 days youll be buying gametime ingame...but with 15 minutes invested are you really sure you would even play EVE if it were F2P? i remember in my trial i spent about 3 days just trying to get a grasp on the flight mechanics,skill system and economy and im pretty sure i failed pretty bad at it...

P.S F2P players are cannon fodder to subscription players in F2P pvp games...dont do it to yourself man... either pay up or buy Guild Wars.

Ok, I will have to download steam and give eve a try, so 30 days is just 7 bucks now? I thought it was 14-15 bucks for 30 days.

And yes, I would still play it, because I know the learning curve is high and expect it to be so. 2 years ago a friend of mine in high school that played eve showed me a picture online that showed eves learning curve compared to a few other learning curves.

The 3 eve was compared to looked like slight slopes. Eve at first goes 90 degrees, then heads back wards while going up, come to a sharp point back a good ways above its own start point, and if you make it that far it flatens out and you see a bulldozer pushing people back off the egde. So yes, I get it, evil learning curve.

As for the cannon fodder, in most cases yes, if done right no. But it is a very rare things, like maybe 1 out of every 1000 does it right.

Originally posted by youngkg

Ok, I will have to download steam and give eve a try, so 30 days is just 7 bucks now? I thought it was 14-15 bucks for 30 days.

And yes, I would still play it, because I know the learning curve is high and expect it to be so. 2 years ago a friend of mine in high school that played eve showed me a picture online that showed eves learning curve compared to a few other learning curves.

The 3 eve was compared to looked like slight slopes. Eve at first goes 90 degrees, then heads back wards while going up, come to a sharp point back a good ways above its own start point, and if you make it that far it flatens out and you see a bulldozer pushing people back off the egde. So yes, I get it, evil learning curve.

As for the cannon fodder, in most cases yes, if done right no. But it is a very rare things, like maybe 1 out of every 1000 does it right.

when you purchase the game ( for 7 bucks on steam till jan 2nd) you get your typical 30 free days) but if you really wanna be cheap (like me),get the trial run your 14 days then punch in your code from your steam purchase, but make sure you buy it off steam b4 jan 2nd because then your paying full price which is 20 bucks i think.7 bucks for 44 days of eve image