Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG Vets, new and old... where are you going?

I know many of us are headed to SWTOR.

Been bouncing back and forth between WoW and other MMO's since the NGE myself, but heading to TOR for the foreseeable future.

What about you?

Comments

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

Nowhere except my usual EVE Online on again/off again habits, possibly GW2 if it turns out to be good.

This entire genre of gaming has turned into a casual, free-to-play, themepark shovelware fest, and there are fewer promising games on the horizon than there have ever been. In my opinion TOR is part of the cancer, but whatever floats people's boats.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• rtekerrteker Member Posts: 11

SWG vet, My main was named Kakshe on the Starsider server a member of the SiNR guild and I'll be playing SWToR on the Sith Wyrm server on the allaince side (for now anyways) and thanks to head-start I was able to get 4 choice names;  Ranma, Tenchi, Urahara, and Rakusho

• UzlebUzleb Member Posts: 162

I know it's been said a million times but if you didn't go through NGE you don't understand how deep the SWG scares go.

I will never play another Online MMO Star Wars game.

Everytime I hear Star Wars ANYTHING I cringe....and yes that may seem stupid and narrow minded to most people but some of us old Vets, NEVER forget.

• heavenlybodyheavenlybody Member Posts: 16

Eventually played other mmo's but not for longer than about a month. Now, I'm thinking about ffxiv in the sense of ",if I enjoyed swg (absurdly buggy game til the end until it exploded into an even sillier buggy game) then why wouldn't I give ffxiv a shot?"

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by rteker

... and thanks to head-start I was able to get 4 choice names;  Ranma, Tenchi, Urahara, and Rakusho

You are lucky!!! I was gonna use those names myself. Bugger :P

SWTOR for me as well :)

Helm of Graush (Hog) server.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

This entire genre of gaming has turned into a casual, free-to-play, themepark shovelware fest, and there are fewer promising games on the horizon than there have ever been. In my opinion TOR is part of the cancer, but whatever floats people's boats.

This.

MMOs are dead to me unless designers decide to grow a pair and stop releasing half-a** themeparks. I refuse to give them any more of my money until this happens. Period.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• blueshadowblueshadow Member CommonPosts: 146

Nowhere.

SWG was a unique game. There will probably never be one like it again. The complexity, the community. Played it since 2003 and it was my first MMORPG loved.

Back then when I discovered SWG and had finaly found the game of my dreams I was sure the future would hold more and more great games like SWG. But instead they just release arcade games with MMO support.

Bah.. everything that has been said about Sandboxes vs. Theemeparks have been said thosands of times on this webpage and I am not going to repeat it.. but untill there is a good sandbox worth paying for, I am not supporting any companies with my hard earned cash.

• DoktorTeufelDoktorTeufel Member UncommonPosts: 413

Originally posted by blueshadow

Back then when I discovered SWG and had finaly found the game of my dreams I was sure the future would hold more and more great games like SWG. But instead they just release arcade games with MMO support.

Man, I know that feeling.

From 1997-2000, we got Fallout (1997), Fallout 2 (1998), Planescape: Torment (1999), and Baldur's Gate 2 (2000). I thought RPGs like that would continue to exist, and would only get better with time. NOPE.

From 2001-2003, we got Anarchy Online, Final Fantasy XI, EVE Online, and Star Wars Galaxies. Come to think of it, 2003 was arguably the best year ever seen in MMORPGs — SWG, EVE and FFXI released all in one year. There will never be another year like that in online gaming again. At the time, again, I thought we'd get even more such games in the future, and that they'd only get better. NOPE.

Now we have... this sad garbage-fest, and people lapping up WoW clones and freemium shovelware like they're delicious, spearmint-flavored liquid candy. It's disgusting.

Currently Playing: EVE Online
    Retired From: UO, FFXI, AO, SWG, Ryzom, GW, WoW, WAR

• heavenlybodyheavenlybody Member Posts: 16

There are some mmorpg's out that I would sink into if they had more people playing. Vangaurd especially comes to mind. Fallen Earth as well.

After swg everyone I played with went to WOW and became even worse off addicted. I floated through other games EQ2, AOC, DDO. But never for more than a couple months. Though I played swg for years. And never really made it to a high level in any of them. I think my highest on DDO is lvl 9.

Totally soul crushing how swg was and that nobody will ever make another game like it. I mean with the housing and crafting/survey. Along with social classes. Makes me want to play Vangaurd just for the complexity but I know I'd be the only one playing.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

No where until another game with open sci-fi/non-fantasy world with plenty of free choices is released.  For now I'll stick with short investment games like Team Fortress 2.

Given the design of MMO's these days, it's unlikely I'll ever have another MMO to play.

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223

I don't like where the genre is going. The last MMO I paid for was LOTRO; I subscribed for 3 months about this time last year. It's a solid game but I just couldn't justify paying a subscription for what really felt like a single-player game. For now I'll probably stick to traditional single player games and RPGs but I might come back for Diablo 3.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

I'm in limbo right now.  Have been for some time.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Maybe ArcheAge if it ever hits NA shores... GW2 maybe... the current crop of MMOs just doesn't interest me much right now.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Waiting for Planetside 2 and 40k MMO... Battletech MMO if they ever get their sh*t together...

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by NaughtyP

Maybe ArcheAge if it ever hits NA shores... GW2 maybe... the current crop of MMOs just doesn't interest me much right now.

Exactly the same here

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Waiting to get into Planetside 2 BETA, and waiting to see how EQ:Next turns out. SUPPOSEDLY, Smedly said they were going to concentrate on redoing EQ from the ground up BASED ON the old pre-Planes of Power EQ for EQ:Next. HOWEVER, if the graphics engine is going the way I think I might want NOTHING to do with this game unfortunately.

Currently, EQ:Next is headed towards the direction of the FIRST AAA-Sandbox PVP oriented EQ. Similar to how Zek was in old EQ pre-Ykesha. That being said, the screenshots i've seen of the game in Alpha make it look like MASSIVE shoulderpad wearing WoW graphics, no thank you sir!

Other than that, I'm keeping my eye on ANY "Open World Sandbox" MMO titles that have been poking up lately.

-Infinity: The Quest for Earth

-Light & Dark: Remade (forget the name?)

-ArchAge

etc....

Anyone know of any other Sandbox games in the making atm? Except Dawntide! Game looks terrible :'(! They've made almost zero progress lately.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• MystDrgonMystDrgon Member Posts: 29

MMOs are dead to me unless some company can release something else than a half-a**  rock/paper/scissors themeparks with questing on rails . I refuse to give them any more of my money until this happens.  Even F2P has been garbage.  I would even gladly purchase and sub to a game that was in the same state as SWG pre NGE (a bit buggy at times).  I know why they do it, for the bottom line ($$). However, GW2 does look a bit interesting, though do not know what the long term playability of it will feel like. Eve was a bit to overwhelming on the interface, and the point n click interaction for navigation, along with other features were kinda a turn off... along with the 'gank' fest aspect. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Playing: Nothing (nothing worth playing)
    Favorite: SWG (pre NGE, CU)
    Played: WoW, Eve, DAoC, Warhamer, AoC, SWG, Earth & Beyond
    Hope: GW2 maybe

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Uzleb

I know it's been said a million times but if you didn't go through NGE you don't understand how deep the SWG scares go.

I will never play another Online MMO Star Wars game.

Everytime I hear Star Wars ANYTHING I cringe....and yes that may seem stupid and narrow minded to most people but some of us old Vets, NEVER forget.

Living in the past sure sounds fun. I was there, I got over it. 

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by Obraik

No where until another game with open sci-fi/non-fantasy world with plenty of free choices is released.  For now I'll stick with short investment games like Team Fortress 2.

Given the design of MMO's these days, it's unlikely I'll ever have another MMO to play.

hey obraik! long time no see!

im on the same boat as you mate (though i stoped at day 1 after NGE hit and never looked back)

i went to EvE, that tickled my fancy for a while... then it bacame a job... so i quit, now im simply enjoying SP games like Bioshock 1 and 2, Oblivion, Skyrim and got interest in many indy games. 

and my online fix, with Ragnarok and Team Fortress 2 like you. 

in january when i come back from vacations ill reinstall GuildWars and try to get as much done before GW2 comes out...

i think GW2 will be my last MMO, if it succeeds great ill stick with it if not i guess its either i quit MMOs or i go back to EverQuest 1 or Ultima Online...

sad really it has come to this

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393

This about sum's it up for most Gamers above the age of 30.

SW:G was my first MMO and my first Love.

I've tried Vanguard and LoTRO and WoW and EvE and most of the others...but they are not Galaxies.

It will be my last for a long time.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

SWG was also my first graphical MMO, but I still remember the days of MUDS and MOOS.  There was just so much to do or explore in SWG, and very few quests (which is fine with me).

Never found any

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

It's hard to believe all those places within SWG are gone.  I spent so much time in the game precu it felt real to me in many ways.  I took pride in my house and the furnishings which I built myself or found on one of my shopping trips.  I took pride in our town, and the memory of all those adventures and places I visited is still strong in my memory.

But...time marches on.  Playing SWTOR andk Skyrim at the moment.  Trying to hook up with old SWG friends but i think they ahven't gotten into preorder yet...so trying out some classes I didn't get a chance to play.

SWTOR is no SWG that is for sure.  It's not trying to be.  But for a different type of game, I am having fun with it at the moment.

• ZarynterkZarynterk Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Waiting to get into Planetside 2 BETA, and waiting to see how EQ:Next turns out. SUPPOSEDLY, Smedly said they were going to concentrate on redoing EQ from the ground up BASED ON the old pre-Planes of Power EQ for EQ:Next. HOWEVER, if the graphics engine is going the way I think I might want NOTHING to do with this game unfortunately.

Currently, EQ:Next is headed towards the direction of the FIRST AAA-Sandbox PVP oriented EQ. Similar to how Zek was in old EQ pre-Ykesha. That being said, the screenshots i've seen of the game in Alpha make it look like MASSIVE shoulderpad wearing WoW graphics, no thank you sir!

Other than that, I'm keeping my eye on ANY "Open World Sandbox" MMO titles that have been poking up lately.

-Infinity: The Quest for Earth

-Light & Dark: Remade (forget the name?)

-ArchAge

etc....

Anyone know of any other Sandbox games in the making atm? Except Dawntide! Game looks terrible :'(! They've made almost zero progress lately.

Faded you playing Planetside now?

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

Originally posted by hipiap

This about sum's it up for most Gamers above the age of 30.

SW:G was my first MMO and my first Love.

I've tried Vanguard and LoTRO and WoW and EvE and most of the others...but they are not Galaxies.

It will be my last for a long time.

Most gamers over 30 are still playing MMO's.  Despite what the cool kids say, WoW and now SWTOR have many players that are over 30.  The people who were left in swg at the end need to "get over it" and "move on".

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.