Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I still like you Rift...

2»

Comments

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Originally posted by Rusty715

Yeah. LOTRO is what im playing again. I played RIft for about 6 weeks and its not a bad game, but for me, LOTRO is better. WOW is no longer an option and I have no interest in TOR right now. Maybe when the offer a trial or it goes F2P.

Yeah with oh so great patches like Isengard yeah I am so envious of you guys. LOTR proves that the virus that is Free to play does not work in the United States and will result in sub par content releases exactly like it did in Korea.

In my view it is simply a payment model that does not work. Although I could imagine a Rift F2P announcement would devsatate WoW's sub number more then anything TOR could do. LOTR went f2p for a reason. People are almost trying to force Rift to go into a payment model it was never designed for.

If it does go F2P then monthly content updates will go away without a doubt. TOR for sure no chance in hell can ever support F2P because of the voice acting and production team required. F2P is not some magical solution.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Puremallace

Yeah. LOTRO is what im playing again. I played RIft for about 6 weeks and its not a bad game, but for me, LOTRO is better. WOW is no longer an option and I have no interest in TOR right now. Maybe when the offer a trial or it goes F2P.

Yeah with oh so great patches like Isengard yeah I am so envious of you guys. LOTR proves that the virus that is Free to play does not work in the United States and will result in sub par content releases exactly like it did in Korea.

In my view it is simply a payment model that does not work. Although I could imagine a Rift F2P announcement would devsatate WoW's sub number more then anything TOR could do. LOTR went f2p for a reason. People are almost trying to force Rift to go into a payment model it was never designed for.

If it does go F2P then monthly content updates will go away without a doubt. TOR for sure no chance in hell can ever support F2P because of the voice acting and production team required. F2P is not some magical solution.

Could I ask what game you are playing?

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• asyndetonasyndeton Member UncommonPosts: 87

Originally posted by wowfan1996

Originally posted by maddhatter44

(raid finder) ... ruining the genre.

...because it's fun to spam LFG macros for hours, especially when you don't get a full group in the end.

/facepalm

because dungeon finder tools always make successful balanced groups with people who care enought to stick around longer than 10 minutes...

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by wormywyrm

If it makes you feel any better, SWTOR and Rift share a similar fate, the fate of LOTRO and NGE SWG and any other MMO that sought after the casual gamer base.  But these games can survive as LOTRO has shown it is doing well :-)

There is something to be acknowledged here.  Rift is by far a more superior massively-multiplayer game that encourages community involvement and commeraderie around an open environment effect with their game-play features.  That while TOR is undoubtedly a single-player game with a multi-user component for cooperative small-party instanced play with a rich cinematic feature.

Neither game is going to die, however, the casual gamer community should be rejoicing with what they have access to, while we've watched 60-70% of the remaining subscriber base leave said games 3-6 months post launch out of sheer boredom and bewilderment as to why their paying $15/month for something so rudimentary.

Rift.

My only big thing against F2P is I saw the type of market dilution it caused in Korea with one terrible game after another. ONLYYYYY way Rift could ever even consider it would be with a hybrid model like AoE, but in AoC you can buy gear out of their cash shop which is like the worst thing possible.

The big thing of Rift is we give them 15$ a month and they give us content basically every month and not just fluff. No other dev can claim that. F2P that goes away and it turns into 4...5...6...7 months for new content??

In my opinion next logical step for Rift is to drop the next raid and Planetouched wilds which was already in production, so that is like 1.7 and 1.8. Then just throw housing out there, but do it right. Make every other mmo on the market envious of the housing system that you make.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Puremallace

Rift.

My only big thing against F2P is I saw the type of market dilution it caused in Korea with one terrible game after another. ONLYYYYY way Rift could ever even consider it would be with a hybrid model like AoE, but in AoC you can buy gear out of their cash shop which is like the worst thing possible.

The big thing of Rift is we give them 15$ a month and they give us content basically every month and not just fluff. No other dev can claim that. F2P that goes away and it turns into 4...5...6...7 months for new content??

In my opinion next logical step for Rift is to drop the next raid and Planetouched wilds which was already in production, so that is like 1.7 and 1.8. Then just throw housing out there, but do it right. Make every other mmo on the market envious of the housing system that you make.

LOTRO offers a lot of variety in leveling 1-50. I have an alt that is level 46 and seeing places my main didnt. Of course after I reach Moria I will be covering the same ground which is the nature of expansions but its the best MMO for me that ive found. EQ2, WOW, Rift, AOC, DDO, Warhammer, Aion (beta) STO, ive seen them all and LOTRO is what I like. Best community ive found too although I will say Rift has a good community as does EQ2, at least before F2P.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

LOTRO offers a lot of variety in leveling 1-50. I have an alt that is level 46 and seeing places my main didnt. Of course after I reach Moria I will be covering the same ground which is the nature of expansions but its the best MMO for me that ive found. EQ2, WOW, Rift, AOC, DDO, Warhammer, Aion (beta) STO, ive seen them all and LOTRO is what I like. Best community ive found too although I will say Rift has a good community as does EQ2, at least before F2P.

Rift is a bit of a different animal. I looked at the LOTR model. I guess Rift coulddddd possibly do it, but what do they charge for? ok Maelforge raid is coming up pretty soon do they charge for that to be able to enter it?

Rift is much much closer to WoW then LOTR. It would have to go like EQ2 possibly which would be a hybird.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by asyndeton
    because dungeon finder tools always make successful balanced groups with people who care enought to stick around longer than 10 minutes...

I'll rather take my chances, thanks. Never takes long to see that a group is bad. On the other hand chat-based LFG is a tremendous waste of time and you can end up in a bad group anyway.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Ah, I feel bad now. I do like Rift, quite a bit. I played it for 4 months a month after release and enjoyed it a lot. I still prefer EQ2 and WoW so I am not playing Rift at the moment. If I had more money and time I would give Trion support for the good job they are doing and have done.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.