Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyrim is ruining our economy

CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I came across this article while browsing Wired.com during my morning cup of coffee:

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/12/skyrim/

Comments

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

The strange thing about this is that it is probably true that it is having an impact.

I know in my personal case -- had I not found skyrim I would have been somewhat more productive in the real life economy.

Add up millions of people the same way and trace their links (IE I do not put up as many items on ebay.  Another person doesnt buy something they would have) and it definitely ends up being a net negative on a macro level.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

7 million copies.  That's incredible.  +1 once I finally get a new mobo/cpu.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

"I used to care about the economy, then I took an arrow in the knee."

One of the article comments made me LOL

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

"I used to care about the economy, then I took an arrow in the knee."

One of the article comments made me LOL

I actually hate this joke but it made me laugh xD Totally worth it just for that.

Anyway, i could see how this would get some lazy bums to stop working but we're not all like that ;P

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Another good quote:

"Bethesda has said that there is nearly 300 hours of gameplay (before the meaty DLC becomes available), making me retroactively pissed off at all of those games with a 12 hour single player campaign that I’ve played over the years."

So true. There's so many games lately that barely break the two digit mark for playable hours, if even that, yet still cost $50+ dollars.

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421

I am sorry but that has to tbe the dummbest article I ever read. Looks to be written by someone without a life and possibly under 18. I beat skyrim and im not playing it right now.... I still do what i got to do i beat it i may go back later for other things but my life isnt consumed by it in fact im buying other games why this article was written i have no idea.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by Shrilly

I am sorry but that has to tbe the dummbest article I ever read. Looks to be written by someone without a life and possibly under 18. I beat skyrim and im not playing it right now.... I still do what i got to do i beat it i may go back later for other things but my life isnt consumed by it in fact im buying other games why this article was written i have no idea.

Oh really?  Well I haven't bought a game since Skyrim came out, and I usually buy 3-4 a month.  Maybe you have finished Skyrim, I have not. 

Everyone is different.  Hard for some people to understand this still.  The article may be false or true, but the author may have a small point.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Face, meet palm.

The article is supposed to be tongue in cheek.

Originally posted by Worstluck

Oh really?  Well I haven't bought a game since Skyrim came out, and I usually buy 3-4 a month.  Maybe you have finished Skyrim, I have not. 

Everyone is different.  Hard for some people to understand this still.  The article may be false or true, but the author may have a small point.

This is true but saying 7+ million people now dont care about anything but the game and in a way ruins the economy just leaves my mouth open...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

So the author thinks that bad computer games are better for the economy than good ones? What a load of rubbish.

If there weren't a few Skyrims, Diablos, Half.lifes and other great game the cunputer game industry wouldn't make any money at all, and it do in fact generate a lot of money and gives many people work.

We do know that once in a while we will get a great game and therefore we buy games. That is a good thing for both the econnomy and for us players.

And if people only would work and noone would play games, watch movies, go to the pub or have other hobbies life would be hell, and I am not so sure it would be so great for the economy either. A lot if not most of the world economy is not based on food and basic needs but to create stuff for us to do in our spare time.

Skyrim is not ruining our economy, it is in fact helping it.

Originally posted by Loke666

So the author thinks that bad computer games are better for the economy than good ones? What a load of rubbish.

If there weren't a few Skyrims, Diablos, Half.lifes and other great game the cunputer game industry wouldn't make any money at all, and it do in fact generate a lot of money and gives many people work.

We do know that once in a while we will get a great game and therefore we buy games. That is a good thing for both the econnomy and for us players.

And if people only would work and noone would play games, watch movies, go to the pub or have other hobbies life would be hell, and I am not so sure it would be so great for the economy either. A lot if not most of the world economy is not based on food and basic needs but to create stuff for us to do in our spare time.

Skyrim is not ruining our economy, it is in fact helping it.

and this is what i was saying. games would still look like realm of the mad god if not for games like skyrim and others to push the boundaries and not only that but inspiring gamers to go even further?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

I think it's just a joke piece.

Not to be taken seriously.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

I think it's just a joke piece.

Not to be taken seriously.

aggree

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

LOL 

You can't beat Skyrim. 

Quest log empty? then you arent done lol!

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307

the thing about it is, people get into games and they don't want to leave there houses or do any other social things. i know when i get a new game i'll play for 5-6 hours straight, in the same spot. i know its not as bad because afterwards ill go out and get food. but for the more serious/hardcore gamers i can't imagine them moving. 

brb buying skyrim and never seeing light again.

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

I wonder about how many played it on PC, and how many on consoles!?

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

I feel sad for the posters here that took this article literally. No wonder you spend so much time debating on this forum. You have absolutely no common sense

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Z3R01

LOL 

You can't beat Skyrim. 

Quest log empty? then you arent done lol!

Beat Skyrim by now?

Absolutely impossible unless you are a real no-lifer, and I mean, sick sick sick no-lifer.

I have been playing like a psycho, around 180 hours played so far. I am leading the school of magues, the thieves guild, the companions, the dark brotherhood... I am member of a few other minor organizations like the nightingales, or the bards... I got a wife, 4 houses, a dog, a horse, over 100k gold, mastered about 20 shouts, I have won the civil war, crafted over 700 pots and 300 items...

And lots more stuff...

And, know what? My quest log is still not empty. I still got stuff to do.

Cmon.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Oh man, they said the same shit about wow.  I wish these writers would quit rehashing old shit.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Imagine if these guys got into the MMORPG industry. They would blow every single MMORPG out of the sky.

• Alphabeta2Alphabeta2 Member Posts: 35

Hahaha as interesting as that post was, I felt as if someone had paid this guy to write bullshit about Skyrim.  The same could be said and pushed farther if this was about any and all MMORPGs out there.  Hell I've spent just as many hours on Bounty Hounds Online over the last litlle bit then I have on Skyrim. ;/

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Originally posted by Yamota

Imagine if these guys got into the MMORPG industry. They would blow every single MMORPG out of the sky.

We'll get there one day ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

You guys should learn to not read everything with a giant SERIOUS FACE.

This is not a serious article. In fact, he's simply praising the daylights out of it.

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436

I guess sarcasm is lost these days. For all of the above posters that took offense, or saw the article as anything other than satyre, I recommend unplugging from anything that has words or pictures associated with it.

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

I'm sure there are a multitude of Americans out there that will take this guy's post seriously and start calling their congressional representitives. Since the congress is pretty much a token organization these days, they'll probably jump at this chance to prove their relevance and outlaw social interaction that doesn't involve making huge sums of money for one or all of their corporate backers. Should be good for a lark.

Archlinux ftw