Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Eve Conundrum

dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Does anyone else have this problem? Eve Online is, simply put, pretty much everything I want in an MMORPG.

• Classless.

• Levelless.

• Skill-based, time-oriented leveling.

• Character bios.

• Massive universe.

• Single server.

• Player-driven.

The list goes on an on and on. However, I simply can't seem to stick with the game because of the genre - I'm not a fan of the space-sim genre. The last two expansions have helped so that I don't feel like I'm a robot, but I still find myself unable to get over the hurdle of playing a genre that I'm not fond of.

Does anyone else find themselves with this problem? And if so, have you found a way around it?

<3

Comments

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by dreamscaper

Does anyone else have this problem? Eve Online is, simply put, pretty much everything I want in an MMORPG.

• Classless.

• Levelless.

• Skill-based, time-oriented leveling.

• Character bios.

• Massive universe.

• Single server.

• Player-driven.

The list goes on an on and on. However, I simply can't seem to stick with the game because of the genre - I'm not a fan of the space-sim genre. The last two expansions have helped so that I don't feel like I'm a robot, but I still find myself unable to get over the hurdle of playing a genre that I'm not fond of.

Does anyone else find themselves with this problem? And if so, have you found a way around it?

Live with it, cause fat chance any developer is gonna blow the money to make fantasy eve when they can make another themepark.

• ElmorenElmoren Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 110

Nope, I'd love it if someone could apply the mechanics you're so fond of in Eve to other games, but it seems that most developers are addicted to money and success these days - so they pump out quest/equipment/raid grind unfinished MMO garbage to make a few bucks, then bail.

“The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.”

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

yup,

like the game.

love the freedom.

crave the thrill of danger.

but just can't stand watching dots in space for hours on end.

....maybe they need to add boobs to their ships.

Originally posted by Elmoren

Nope, I'd love it if someone could apply the mechanics you're so fond of in Eve to other games, but it seems that most developers are addicted to money and success these days - so they pump out quest/equipment/raid grind unfinished MMO garbage to make a few bucks, then bail.

They make really nice triple AAA polished themeparks,  too. Its not that they make bad games, just nothing new and interesting.

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

yup,

like the game.

love the freedom.

crave the thrill of danger.

but just can't stand watching dots in space for hours on end.

....maybe they need to add boobs to their ships.

To be fair its necessary to have delays so people can do other things. The main problem with pvp is that people can't be online all the time.

Moving this to the EVE forums is offensive. Moron moderators. I do not play EVE and I never go to EVE forums and I am interested in the topic as are many others and its not even about EVE, its about finding a fantasy game like EVE...

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by Cuathon

Moving this to the EVE forums is offensive. Moron moderators. I do not play EVE and I never go to EVE forums and I am interested in the topic as are many others and its not even about EVE, its about finding a fantasy game like EVE...

It's Eve-centric enough that I can't really complain about it being moved. I put it in General mainly because I wanted to emphasis the genre-specific nature of the question.

<3

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

I personally love space sci-fi. So Eve just kinda fell into place for me.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I have the same problem and it is very frustrating.  I just have too much affinity for fantasy and avatars that look human.  :p

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Live with it, cause fat chance any real developer is gonna blow the money to make fantasy eve when they can make another themepark.

This, bold word added by me.

I had to climb over that same hurdle the OP has. It took me three trials. Now I realize I should have been stubborn enough the first time, because EVE is worth it.

IF they ever launch their WoD MMO (built with pretty much the same Sandbox philosophy) I will jump in, even if it another genre I'm not too fond of.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by wormywyrm
    I have the same problem and it is very frustrating.  I just have too much affinity for fantasy and avatars that look human.  :p

The funny fact is, EVE has probably one of the most advanced character generators in the whole industry for creating human avatars.

Too bad you will get tired of the captain's quarters (and the associated increased loading times) quite fast.

Here's hoping they someday add the cantinas like they envisioned ;)

• s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

After trying two separate times, it finally clicked with me.

I didn't mind the genre to begin with, but I'd never tried it. I started with UO, then onto EQ. I was only used to fantasy.

I wanted a change. My problem, initially, was just how open the game is. I was simply overwhelmed.

I took the advice of everyone and joined a nice corp. A few of the members took me under their wing.

I told them what I wanted to try and they pointed me in the right direction. Only then did I really start to enjoy

them game.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Try Darkfall and Perpetuum as well - they also 'tick all of the boxes'.

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by Jack_Target

Try Darkfall and Perpetuum as well - they also 'tick all of the boxes'.

Darkfall is more of a combat based fantasy sandbox.  Its a great game but not really the "EvE" type, specifically the progression in the game is "use based" skill progression rather than time based (however passive skills can be time based skilled for in game gold)

Perpetuum is besically EvE, minus the spaceships and dots.  Its terrain based mech combat.  Its very new and very small.

Actually i just came from Darkfall and am now playing Perpetuum.  Both are good game.

If your into the thinking game, and mechanics that wreck the often obnoxious "race to endgame" mentality, Perpetuum is a solid alternative.

I too feel the OP's pain on just disliking the space based combat, as well as the blob mechanics and dry combat in eve.  Perpetuum gives me the scifi that i like without the dry combat but retains a lot of the thinking mechainics, strategy, and time based progression.  Took me a few minuets of terrain influenced combat, ability to make smart use of cover to make it feel like a completely diffrent game than EvE, but retains a lot of what makes eve a great game.  Its still very early in development and the community is quite small, but friendly and helpful at least, which is more than i can say about most of eve.

If your looking the the thinking game like eve, but with more involved combat, and dont want to jump into a time based progression game several years behind...perpetuum is the way to go.  If you crave more combat and use based skill progression(with no limit on skills meaning no more alts to reroll) and fantasy setting is a must darkfall is another great choice (make sure you bring your FPS combat skills too)

Either game will make you forget the quest spam gear grinding themeparks.  Its strange more people arnt playing DF and perpetuum given how this mmo community seems to be so desperate for something other than a themepark.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Not a problem for me. If the game is good, any milieu or setting is fine although I have preferences just like everyone else. I haven't yet seen a game where this was an issue.

I don't attach myself to the character either so having no avatar is perfectly fine too.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

Join a good corp. Playing anything with good people is better. Next, you listed many of the reasons that many love about EvE...does that not supercede the genre and character(or lack thereof) problem for you?

Would you prefer human type avatars? Try Darkfall. It is nowhere near as fleshed out as EvE but it has human like avatars. I would say DF is a 3 to EvE's 10, but if human-like avatars are the key point for you...maybe that game would do for you.

Rereading your list again, you didn't mention complex economy that is player driven, complex and unique crafting or really limitless exploration possiblities.

I am on hiatus from EvE atm, but I will always be one of her sons, as EvE has no equal and was the first sandbox that I tried that made sense. I find most people that have trouble with EvE are all coming from games that are bound by the very things that you proport to love, yet are struggling with.

Launching the EvE client, getting a drink, logging into TS/Vent and interacting with your friends was always better than my experience in AoC, where the graphics were pretty but I couldn't find a group at all.

Try some other games, and then come back to EvE and see if it's better. Ofc, if you leave you may miss out on meeting the group of people that might make the game unforgettable.

Good luck.

Edit:spelling

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general