Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Would you rather play SWToR or Pre CU/NGE SWG with new engine/polish?

Being an SWG veteran I am sad to see that giant gone (though it was really gone a long time ago). And I wonder how many would prefer this game to be reborn under new direction as opposed to play Bioware's Star Wars, The Old Republic?

SWG had flaws, bugs, lack of polish, but offered deep crafting, non-combat classes, housing, pet classes unlike any of today, socializing like reason to spend time with others in hospitals, cantinas and around camp fires. I can't even begin to mention the fun conversations I have had around camp fires in that game while waiting for the next round of adventure. The game also offered the opportunity to mix classes.

Many years later SWG is dead, not supported or given the chance I think it deserved and broken by NGE/CU fixes. And along comes Bioware's SWToR. SWToR appeal maybe more to the singleplayer crowd. No one can claim it is sandbox, true massive multiplayer. What it does offer is fixed storylines, voice acting, tons of polish, rail shooter and group options.

So what would you prefer - SWG REBORN or SWToR as it is launching now??

(unfortunately we are only offered the one)

Comments

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

oh look, another thinly veiled attempt at claiming SW:TOR is not an MMO.

I voted for SW:TOR as it is, even though I could claim to be an SWG vet, having had 5 active accounts up until the NGE hit, but why bother?

SWG was fun, but it had its time, it is over.

SW:TOR may not be a sandbox, but so what? it is still an MMO, it is still fun (in my opinion) to play, it is still Star Wars, and lets be honest here, it is definately not as buggy as SWG was.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

Originally posted by Byrhofen

I voted for SW:TOR as it is, even though I could claim to be an SWG vet, having had 5 active accounts up until the NGE hit, but why bother?

SW:TOR may not be a sandbox, but so what? it is still an MMO, it is still fun (in my opinion) to play, it is still Star Wars, and lets be honest here, it is definately not as buggy as SWG was.

If people want to play SWToR no problem. If people enjoy, then that's great for them.

How does that make it an mmo??

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

I'd probably take a newer/polished SWG over SWTOR. The reason isn't because I don't like SWTOR, but because as a themepark, I have two other titles that I believe will take over as my primary themepark MMO. I could however, use one great themepark and one great sandbox... thus the reason I would take the older SWG over SWTOR, for now.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Worst comparison ever. These games are nothing alike.

TOR sucks. SWG was great.

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

That's a hard question, because I love the story and companion aspects of SWToR. There would have to be a lot of fixes to pre-CU swg to make it more appealing.

Perhaps the best we can hope for is that TOR will eventually get around to the finer social points that SWG excelled in (the class system will never be implented obviously, but perhaps having a social secondary class? Entertainers were brilliant. )

TOR still wins me over because of the story.

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

SWG well done would take over SWTOR anyday.

As many said SWTOR is too much of a themepark, even if it can evolve on nice features like on PVP and instances. The story forces u to follow such a linear path that u have even less freedom than in any other mmorpg. Of course u can lvl up like with PVP only but then that'd be missing the whole point of the game and u'd wonder where they put the hundreds of millions of $.

GW2 will probably destroy SWTOR when it's released (even if it's a god damn fantasy world again) on the "themepark" style, but we'll see when that game's released and how  Bioware / Shitty EA will be able to make their game evolve to push it on the top.

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• RomeuFCRRomeuFCR Member Posts: 58

Don't care about the ToR vs SWG debate.  None of that matters to me since I play something else.

But I do care about this obsession with "not being a MMO". Well, let's address that shall we?

M for Massive, thousands of players in one server? Yes, then it's massive.

M for Multiplayer, can you group with other people, or is it just solo? Can group with people, then it's multiplayer.

O for Online, can I play it offline? Is it or is it not server<->client based software? Can't play offline, and  yes there is a server where clients connect... so it is online.

So where's the doubt? It is the exact definition of M.M.O. so stop trying to make silly arguments to prove it's not. Because they are all bogus. That's the definition of each separate term in MMO and it checks every one.

So get over it!

Playing:

RIFT, EU Blightweald Server

Waiting to see:

ToR, TERA, GW2

• CacophanistCacophanist Member Posts: 100

I would play SWG as it is now over SWTOR any day, never mind pre anything. I was appalled at the cookie cutter clone game that I saw in beta testing. Get some god damn originality Bioware!

FFS the whole game is the same old generic MMO game that has been reskinned for the last 10 years!

Thank god for the more innovative MMOs out there even if they do lack the polish that a millions of dollars can give you...

Originally posted by Cacophanist

I would play SWG as it is now over SWTOR any day, never mind pre anything. I was appalled at the cookie cutter clone game that I saw in beta testing. Get some god damn originality Bioware!

FFS the whole game is the same old generic MMO game that has been reskinned for the last 10 years!

Thank god for the more innovative MMOs out there even if they do lack the polish that a millions of dollars can give you...

You act as if SWG..or any other game has been truly innovative. Every game (I do mean *every* game, UO, EQ, WoW,GW...etc) is built upon its predecessor, going back to single rpgs and tabletops. SWToR might not be a huge leap in evolution, but it's not a regression either. It takes tried and true elements, and adds story, a lesser used medium (sci-fi over fantasy), and an in-depth companion system. The crafting system itself is unique, but that gets lost in the complaints of a themepark game.

It's not what you wanted it to be, I'm sorry, but don't get mad because it's not what you wanted. It's still a good solid game and it will do well. The reason they went themepark is because it appeals to more people, sandbox games have failed miserably over the last decade. Remember SWG was losing subs faster then WoW is now before NGE, mostly due to lack of content, a recurring theme in sandbox games.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I'd probably choose SWG, but it would need quite a bit of work. Contrary to popular belief, pre-NGE wasn't that great, and there actually was a reason for the CU and NGE.. It was bleeding subs. Badly.

Sadly, they took a chainsaw to something that needed a scalpel.

As for TOR, I'm giving it a shot, though seems like a lot more of the same. I'll give it a run through a story line, and see if anything grabs me.

• Jonnas13Jonnas13 Member UncommonPosts: 93

SWG pre-CU was a fantastic game and I still play online with many of the people I met there. Unfortunately people voted with their wallets on this type of game and no amount of extra sheen will change that. If adding new graphics was all that was needed to transform it from a niche game to a blockbuster then SOE would have.

Sandbox games like SWG sadly seem to not be most MMO players cup of tea despite all the fantastic ideas that went into it. Hopefully some of these ideas (especially crafting) can make it into future games.

Originally posted by Marcus-

I'd probably choose SWG, but it would need quite a bit of work. Contrary to popular belief, pre-NGE wasn't that great, and there actually was a reason for the CU and NGE.. It was bleeding subs. Badly.

As for TOR, I'm giving it a shot, though seems like a lot more of the same. I'll give it a run through a story line, and see if anything grabs me.

Marcus, you're one of the first people I've seen speak rationally about SWG! You restored my faith in humanity for the next few hours.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

SW:TOR, because its massive story content of Bioware quality, which to me is a welcome change to the rather flat and boring quests usually found in MMORPGs.

SWG pre-NGE was maybe a good game, but I find the idea of playing a Star Wars game without the ability of playing Jedi (or making playing Jedi horrendously complicated) rather stupid and now, when I'm older, I find myself no longer very interested in MMOs that dont allow casual gameplay.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by RomeuFCR

Don't care about the ToR vs SWG debate.  None of that matters to me since I play something else.

But I do care about this obsession with "not being a MMO". Well, let's address that shall we?

M for Multiplayer, can you group with other people, or is it just solo? Can group with people, then it's multiplayer.

O for Online, can I play it offline? Is it or is it not server<->client based software? Can't play offline, and  yes there is a server where clients connect... so it is online.

So where's the doubt? It is the exact definition of M.M.O. so stop trying to make silly arguments to prove it's not. Because they are all bogus. That's the definition of each separate term in MMO and it checks every one.

So get over it!

A CORPG would also qualify as an MMO according to that definition. I think what they're trying to get across is that it doesn't really feel like an MMO even if it technically is one. It feels like a single player game to many people.

imageimage

Originally posted by JoeyMMO

Originally posted by RomeuFCR

So get over it!

A CORPG would also qualify as an MMO according to that definition. I think what they're trying to get across is that it doesn't really feel like an MMO even if it technically is one. It feels like a single player game to many people.

Not really, to be a CORPG I would have had to include a very specific element "All outside areas are instanced".

That is the true definition of MMO, and that makes ToR a true MMO in every sense of the term.

Everything else is just nitpicking and pointless bickering.

Playing:

Waiting to see:

ToR, TERA, GW2

• adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387

I would rather play SWTOR.

• MavacarMavacar Member Posts: 328
    SWG hands down cause you could raise a Rancor. You really felt like a hero and badass when you called on your Rancor to fight with you :)
  • DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

StarWars/Ultima Online mod with new engine polish

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

SWG is gone, let it go.

I self identify as a monkey.

What always seems to be lost in discussions like these is Release Content Vs. Post-Expansion Content. If you're comparing this fictional version of SWG with an updated engine, most people are including additional content that was added in later xpacs (like JtL).

Perhaps it's just wishful thinking but I imagine a lot of what we miss from SWG will come as players demand it in future expansions. As it stands right now though with only two beta-weekends to go buy, TOR was a hell of a lot of fun, even the space mini-game is a nice little addition assuming they add to it in the future.

Oh yeah, to people that miss SWG, even more the Pre CU/NGE SWG. I suggest you keep a close eye on Galaxies Reborn.

If it ever gets up and running like they plan I'm sure a lot of nostalgic people will want to board that train :)

Playing:

Waiting to see:

ToR, TERA, GW2

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by Draccan

Originally posted by Byrhofen

If people want to play SWToR no problem. If people enjoy, then that's great for them.

Draccan, you should really google search "MMORPG" and see the definition for it... SWTOR  IS AN MMORPG... now, some ppl may like what they did with the game, some did expect a lot more, and some will just settle with it anyway and play it... 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218

I would rather play SWTOR without a doubt, although there would definitely be a few features or ideas from SWG that would be welcome additions, aswell as other general changes/additions that could improve it. In its current form verses a massively improved SWG it'd still by SWTOR though.

Originally posted by Draccan

How is it not an MMO? Its an MMO by every definition and as much of one as any other MMO on the market.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

Originally posted by Marcus-

Very well put, I feel more or less the same.