Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How important is the Racial Choice ?

ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

What are the factors to consider when choosing your race? Any advantages with choosing one race over another ,given my plans below ?  Other race npc have other races on KOS ?

I plan to mine,craft  and manufacture to start.....and ease my way into pvp when get my bearings and find a corporation and join it.

Comments

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

What are the factors to consider when choosing your race? Any advantages with choosing one race over another   given my plans below ?

I plan to mine,craft  and manufacture to start.....and ease my way into pvp when get my bearings and find a corporation and join it.

Every race can eventually use every ship and every piece of equipment available, given enough training time, so you should probably research some of the back story and in-game history of the various races to choose what "flavor" of personality you want to play.

For industry, the Caldari are known for having better than average beginner mining ships and you'll immediately start close to the Jita super-market, giving you plenty of material to work with. For easing into PvP, the smaller ships of the Minmatar are reknowned for their effectiveness in that area. Personally, I went Caldari because I liked the back history, but I can fly many of the ships of all four races.

The choice is yours.

Where's the any key?

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

All the races ships are a bit different, but your starting race doesn't have too much affect on you. That being said, I'd choose the race that seems the most interesting to you, and has the avatar you like the most. You can always train into different ships, and it doesn't take too long to train lower level skills up, especially with the noob training time decrease.

If you're looking into trying the waters of each race, you can always make an alt and delete your first character should you like the other races ship's better.

You can always train into other races, but you can't change the race your character is.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

I would do Amarr or Minmatar if you're going to want to be PvPing soon.

Do Caldari maybe Amarr for PvE focus

Gallente is kind of like the 'pet' class in that they rely on drones for damage output. You can build them to have mean tanks for PvE though.

I dunno much about indy

As others stated, you can cross train easily, but keep in mind that some cross-trains are easier than others. For example going from Caldari to Amarr can be tough since you're also going from turret skills to missile and shield to armor.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

It won't easy your way into PVP. On the contrary it will make it more difficult because you spread your skill points into many areas.

As I pointed out already, EVE is not like other games where you could supply yourself with gear and thus reduced your expenses...

• NeikoNeiko Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by helthros

Gallente is kind of like the 'pet' class in that they rely on drones for damage output. You can build them to have mean tanks for PvE though.

I dunno much about indy

As others stated, you can cross train easily, but keep in mind that some cross-trains are easier than others. For example going from Caldari to Amarr can be tough since you're also going from turret skills to missile and shield to armor.

Minmatar is usually the best choice for early pvp, but they have a decent amount of their own cross training. Their main focus is usually shield tanking, but probably about half their ships cater to armor tanking (The way it usually works, if you have a lot of low slots, you armor tank, a lot of mid slots, shield tank). Not only that, but some of their ships use missiles as well as their normal guns.

Caldari is usually considered the best for pve, because you can easily swap out the best shield resists, can passive or active tank (Most ships active tank better though), and you can easily swap out ammo based on the mission. Missiles have every damage type and don't have to deal with "optimals", as you just have to be in your maximum distance they can fly, and then the only thing that changes the damage are their resists and speed if they are smaller. Compared to amarr who is forced into EM/Thermal, with gallente focused on thermal, and minnie on explosive, and then they are more range based (guns instead of missiles. You need to find optimals, keep in it or else lose dps) 

Also, gallente can use long range or short range guns, as they are both under the "hybrid" category, but a lot of their ships in pvp are focused around blasters which do a lot of close range dps, but cannot shoot worth crap outside of close range. Where caldari usually use the railguns which excel in longer range. Gallente ships usually have a larger drone bay than other races, and they usually have one ship in each rank (frigate/cruiser/bc/bs) that has a bunch of bonuses for drones.

Amarr can use either for pve, but generally pulse are better, but you need them to be t2 to use them really well in pve because your ships are slow, and the optimals/tracking isn't that great until t2. Where with beams you can just sit and shoot most of the time until you can train up to t2 pulse. T2 beams are great for snipers in pvp though, and t2 pulse are just generally all around good in pvp, as you can easily have a decently long range with the proper crystals/modules, and be close range as well.

I can't comment on minmitar for pve, as I've never done it, but they have two real weapon choices. Autocannons (close range), or artillery (long range). Both have a high amount of burst, but at the different ranges. Autocannons are usually used in the faster ships (that minmitar are known for), to do fly bys with burst. And the artillery is used for long range burst engagements.

All the race ships have their pros and cons, but they are all pretty balanced now (exception was gallente until their recent buff). I've pesonally spent my time cross training into all the races. So instead of training for capital ships, I decided I'd be able to use any sub cap. It's pretty fun to fly out in a Apocalypse, and then swap out for a drake, then come out in a wolf, then change into Dominix. Mind you, this took a long time to train for, but it was my choice, and I like it.

Also, the best thing to do, would be to split up your indy character, and fighting character between two accounts, that way you can train the two different ends of the spectrum (there is plenty and plenty to train up in both combat and industrial), and not interfere with training up something else you want.

• bambookbambook Member UncommonPosts: 180

if you wnat to pvp pick CALDARI and train for t2 drake 

• ThaylonSenThaylonSen Member Posts: 4

In rust we trust.... that is all.

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by Neiko

Originally posted by helthros

I dunno much about indy

Minmatar is usually the best choice for early pvp, but they have a decent amount of their own cross training. Their main focus is usually shield tanking, but probably about half their ships cater to armor tanking (The way it usually works, if you have a lot of low slots, you armor tank, a lot of mid slots, shield tank). Not only that, but some of their ships use missiles as well as their normal guns.

Caldari is usually considered the best for pve, because you can easily swap out the best shield resists, can passive or active tank (Most ships active tank better though), and you can easily swap out ammo based on the mission. Missiles have every damage type and don't have to deal with "optimals", as you just have to be in your maximum distance they can fly, and then the only thing that changes the damage are their resists and speed if they are smaller. Compared to amarr who is forced into EM/Thermal, with gallente focused on thermal, and minnie on explosive, and then they are more range based (guns instead of missiles. You need to find optimals, keep in it or else lose dps) 

Also, gallente can use long range or short range guns, as they are both under the "hybrid" category, but a lot of their ships in pvp are focused around blasters which do a lot of close range dps, but cannot shoot worth crap outside of close range. Where caldari usually use the railguns which excel in longer range. Gallente ships usually have a larger drone bay than other races, and they usually have one ship in each rank (frigate/cruiser/bc/bs) that has a bunch of bonuses for drones.

Amarr can use either for pve, but generally pulse are better, but you need them to be t2 to use them really well in pve because your ships are slow, and the optimals/tracking isn't that great until t2. Where with beams you can just sit and shoot most of the time until you can train up to t2 pulse. T2 beams are great for snipers in pvp though, and t2 pulse are just generally all around good in pvp, as you can easily have a decently long range with the proper crystals/modules, and be close range as well.

I can't comment on minmitar for pve, as I've never done it, but they have two real weapon choices. Autocannons (close range), or artillery (long range). Both have a high amount of burst, but at the different ranges. Autocannons are usually used in the faster ships (that minmitar are known for), to do fly bys with burst. And the artillery is used for long range burst engagements.

All the race ships have their pros and cons, but they are all pretty balanced now (exception was gallente until their recent buff). I've pesonally spent my time cross training into all the races. So instead of training for capital ships, I decided I'd be able to use any sub cap. It's pretty fun to fly out in a Apocalypse, and then swap out for a drake, then come out in a wolf, then change into Dominix. Mind you, this took a long time to train for, but it was my choice, and I like it.

Also, the best thing to do, would be to split up your indy character, and fighting character between two accounts, that way you can train the two different ends of the spectrum (there is plenty and plenty to train up in both combat and industrial), and not interfere with training up something else you want.

+1 to this.

I would only add that in the long run..it doesn't make a damn bit of difference. Attribute respeccing, all skills available to every toon..it really only matters on your personal preference aesthetically and if you are a RP person.

I fortunately was around when the Achura were intro'd and I chose that race as my PvP toon b/c you could start with a 3 in Charisma..and I've never respecc'd him..hahaha.

It really doesn't matter at all. Missiles aren't easy to pvp with immediately, neither are drones...at least to start. Just make sure you can stand to look at the damn character when your done.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

Originally posted by Neiko

All the race ships have their pros and cons, but they are all pretty balanced now (exception was gallente until their recent buff).

There are a few things I would not agree, worded differently or would almost say are incorrect but this part is ridiculous.

Races are not balanced at all. There might be some occasions when some specific race or ship is better, generally speaking Minmatar outperforms everything and every weapon platform.

In TOP 5 killing blows scoring 3 guns are projectiles. Overall projectiles get more killing blows than lasers and hybrids together.

Gallente are still useless since 2008.

If you start EVE, go Minmatar unless you do not mind not being competitive. There is little point flying anything else and CCP won't nerf them any time soon as they are completely incompetent in balancing...

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Funny there is 1 relevant coalition in the game that uses Minmatar, almost the rest of EVE uses Amarr... Your posts are so hysterical man, remind me of my ex gf. Oh yeah and use the Minmatar ships for ratting vs something like Caldari.. yah so OP.

• mithrillionmithrillion Member Posts: 37

Well here's some of my thoughts after reading the above:

1. You can make all the starting choices the same after one week of training, so for new players I'd say pick whatever, fly a few ships, talk to people and then decide which to train for. You don't need to be from a particular faction to use their racial ships.

2. The common belief that Caldari is better than others in PVE is a bit aged. Missiles still do great in missions and ratting, but for incursions, which is the EVE version of heroic missions and which a lot of mission-runners in the past are doing right now, almost all the races can perform nicely. Caldari is even a bit less used there. Also, Gallente still got its issues, but overall it is at least as good as the others now after the most recent rebalence.

3. You will eventually cross-train. This makes the choice even less important. The career you choose, or as a "standard player" the primary weapon you train for, on the other hand, is way more important.

Originally posted by mithrillion
    1. You can make all the starting choices the same after one week of training, so for new players I'd say pick whatever, fly a few ships, talk to people and then decide which to train for. You don't need to be from a particular faction to use their racial ships.
    2. The common belief that Caldari is better than others in PVE is a bit aged. Missiles still do great in missions and ratting, but for incursions, which is the EVE version of heroic missions and which a lot of mission-runners in the past are doing right now, almost all the races can perform nicely. Caldari is even a bit less used there. Also, Gallente still got its issues, but overall it is at least as good as the others now after the most recent rebalence.
    3. You will eventually cross-train. This makes the choice even less important. The career you choose, or as a "standard player" the primary weapon you train for, on the other hand, is way more important.

2) No, Caldari are still superior in PVE to all races, tightly followed by Minmatar and hybrid guns(blaster and rails) are still useless.

The recent balancing was pointless, it had no effect, no impact as predicted.

Killboards say that about 60% people fly Minmatar and projectile weapons contributing in about in about same rate. 2nd on the ladder are Caldari followed by Amarr. Hybrid guns get about 4% contribution and no single Gallente ship in TOP 20.

This goes sort of in hand with official stats released.

3) In a long run(+1 year) it is true, however I would not encourage you to cross train too early...

• welwynwelwyn Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by mithrillion

2) No, Caldari are still superior in PVE to all races, tightly followed by Minmatar and hybrid guns(blaster and rails) are still useless.

He stated that Caldari are king in PVE, untill you come to incursions where instant damage is King.

The recent balancing was pointless, it had no effect, no impact as predicted.

Killboards say that about 60% people fly Minmatar and projectile weapons contributing in about in about same rate. 2nd on the ladder are Caldari followed by Amarr. Hybrid guns get about 4% contribution and no single Gallente ship in TOP 20.

It takes time for habits to die, and takes time for players to reskill and fly the other fittings to the same skill level they have with their current fits. Wait 6 months and re-evaluate the situation, you might see more of an effect on long term pvp usage.

This goes sort of in hand with official stats released.

3) In a long run(+1 year) it is true, however I would not encourage you to cross train too early...

I'd disagree, specialize training for an income right from the start, once you have a steady income start cross training and opening up the options. You can be in a well trained PVE boat making 30m/ hour ratting in average nullsec in the first 6 months. After that work on your pvp ( if thats the avenue you want to train for)

In short, Racial Choice has hardly any impact when you start the game. All skills are trainable by all chars, the only benefit is level 2? ( might be 3 but either way its under 24 hours of training time) in a chosen races frigate skill, which is hardly anything in the scope of training ques!

*edit* spelling cleanup

Originally posted by welwyn

He stated that Caldari are king in PVE, untill you come to incursions where instant damage is King.

It takes time for habits to die, and takes time for players to reskill and fly the other fittings to the same skill level they have with their current fits. Wait 6 months and re-evaluate the situation, you might see more of an effect on long term pvp usage.

I'd disagree, specialize training for an income right from the start, once you have a steady income start cross training and opening up the options. You can be in a well trained PVE boat making 30m/ hour ratting in average nullsec in the first 6 months. After that work on your pvp ( if thats the avenue you want to train for)

1) He stated: "The common belief that Caldari is better than others in PVE is a bit aged."

It is not aged, it is still present. There might be times when Caldari are less viable but exception does not make the rule.

Minmatar are pwning PVP since I remember and it gets only worse. There is no need to wait for re-skilling, those changes in no way address what was broken over the years.

The whole game has changed along with many mechanics and raw, flat boost won't compensate for all that. This is not a question of stat balancing(could help rails though), it is a design problem.

3) Note, I am not saying he should not cross-train before 1 year mark, just about that mark your skilling choices will become less important.

There is no general rule what to train first and what to cross train or when. It all depends on what you want to do and your play style.