Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I really wanted to get into Skyrim but

SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

The world just seems so boring.

I've been trying to get into Skyrim. I used to love a good RPG, but I've been playing MMO's since the launch of SWG and ever since I've been playing MMO's I just can't seem to get beyond how the worlds in RPG's are just so dead so to speak. In MMO's people are running around doing things, sometimes with people sometimes without but you see people out there playing along with you. It's more alive, realistic, and just downright fun.

MMO's may have lesser graphics, they may have les of a focused story on your character but they have life. Until RPG's can do that, I don't think I'll ever be able to play them for more than a few hours.

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by Sanguinelust

I've been trying to get into Skyrim. I used to love a good RPG, but I've been playing MMO's since the launch of SWG and ever since I've been playing MMO's I just can't seem to get beyond how the worlds in RPG's are just so dead so to speak. In MMO's people are running around doing things, sometimes with people sometimes without but you see people out there playing along with you. It's more alive, realistic, and just downright fun.

MMO's may have lesser graphics, they may have les of a focused story on your character but they have life. Until RPG's can do that, I don't think I'll ever be able to play them for more than a few hours.

The worst thing about MMOs for me is other people when it comes to immersion. That's what Skyrim is all about. Being part of another world. Not listening to some 15 year old burping into his mic or watching Chuck Norris jokes. It may be realistic but realism isn't what I'm aiming for. Fantasy is.

So you are more into MMOs because you prefer the social aspect of another human being. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Different strokes..Some people prefer a good movie over reading a good book because it seems more real. I personally prefer solo RPGs when it comes to experiencing a real fantasy setting. I can always count on another human being brining me back to reality

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by Sanguinelust

Actually the world of Skyrim is probably more realistic than you think. I suppose because you are from Jersey (just a friendly dig image ) you probably see a lot of human activity every day. As a fellow east coaster and from a city, there's not a day goes by that I don't see thousands of people.

Drive across the US some day and really take a look. Especially if you leave the main highway. There are states where one has to ask "where are the people!"

MMO's, in my opinion, are junky with "life". Too much hububb and not enough natural space where one can get lost or discover an area you never saw before.

Of course, this also lends to the sense where you are part of a vibrant community so it is a bit of a catch 22.

In any case, sorry you didn't like it. I suppose it's like me buying "Gothic" games every time one comes out and I always dislike them.

And yet I never learn.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227

When I'm feeling a little lonely playing I'll jump in TS 'n' BS with the guys for awhile. ( did that sound kinda gay?)  Espeacially  when concockting potions..

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

When I want Immersion in a totally open world fantasy setting I play Skyrim because no game to date does it better. When I want to socialize with other humans I leave the house and venture forth into the real world. As for MMOs I still play from time to time but the social aspects of todays games leave a lot to be desired. Most MMOs now are just single player games with other people running around that look at you as an annoyance if you try to interact with them.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }