Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most people have not even seen the new build

Comments

• BLOBtheTROLLBLOBtheTROLL Member Posts: 75

for me DDO have better look and feel than swtor

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

already love SWTOR graphics like they are atm, and they will be improved for sure

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by grunty

Anyone who thinks the graphics in a beta are different then during the release are only fooling themselves. The only thing a developer might be able to do is temporarily disable some graphic setting. The textures in beta are the textures in release. There is no magic wand passed over the code base just before the release of a product.

Most of the graphical options in the game were disabled or had on and off state only, take shadows for example even tho it had a bar it was an off and on feature only, once it went over the half way mark it turned on, and once it went below it it went off there was no granuality other than that. The amount of dynamic lights didnt seem do make any diffrence at all either, and the mesh complexity didnt really do any diffrence. The textue quality diffrence between medium and high was only for the dialog parts of the game since the non-dialog LoD did not allow for higher resultion textures on high setting than on medium. AA didnt worked, it had missing UI textures and other render issues, not to mention the whole dead pixel crap. And the performance were crap especially on mobile cards, i have a laptop with a 360 GTS, this card is better than the 560M and run's crysis 1 and 2 at fairly high settings on 1080, it runs rift on Ultra and it choked on ToR i had to put the "shader" quality on low to PVP in this game, the frame rate was too inconsistant you i had jumps from 10 to 60 fps with out moving at all. They will have to make allot of adjustments and optimization to the graphical engine of the game because honestly it's broken.

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

AF and AA do miracles to the graphics

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

I like swtor graphics and in all honesty i usually eventually tune down the graphics anyhow in most of my mmo i ever played to let me pvp or raid effectively and eventually even forget to turn them back up because graphics is meanliess after a while in mmo.

if graphics was top issue then wow would be dead and buried by now with its aged graphics.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Originally posted by kishe

AF and AA do miracles to the graphics

^This^

While SWTOR is certainly not the pinnacle of graphical fidelity compared to the front runners in that area right now, there were some key graphics features disabled during the beta including the above and also advanced lighting options. You could force some of them on by editing a particular ini file, and I did notice a huge difference when I did it. The graphics were still not Skyrim level, but they are a huge amount better than they were, and certianly light years better than videos and screen shots can do justice to... One habit that I wish people would get out of is equating graphical STYLE and their own preference for a certain STYLE to whether or not graphics are "GOOD" or "BAD". There is a huge difference.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Do people automatically assume the game doesn't have great graphics because of the cartoon style?

What about the details? If you look at the characters faces you'll see detail that is rare in any MMO. Certainly better than most, if not AoC, although admittedly its been a while since ive seen AoC's graphics.

Nope... Wildstar has a cartoon style and great graphics imo.

And as for 'facial detail'... SWTOR is really only just above EQ2 in that regard (especially with the same stuck on beards and wigs look).

Compare SWTOR to what XL or Anet are doing with their character creation and models... it's just embarrassing for BW imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHQU7dwGHv0&feature=related 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ZbUIhT0OM 

Honestly... different league.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Do people automatically assume the game doesn't have great graphics because of the cartoon style?

What about the details? If you look at the characters faces you'll see detail that is rare in any MMO. Certainly better than most, if not AoC, although admittedly its been a while since ive seen AoC's graphics.

Some people will never impressed if the graphics are cartoony in style, its jsut natural.  I myself havent many problems with cartoony graphics but I would prefer more photo realistic approach>  I can say for certain that I loathe, detest, despise, outright hate anime/asian styled graphics and ill never play a game with those style (so sad I wont play ArcheAge) annd I understand why pople wont play SWTOR for its cartoony grapics.  Its the nature of the genre my friend.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Originally posted by vesavius

And as for 'facial detail'... SWTOR is really only just above EQ2 in that regard (especially with the same stuck on beards and wigs look).

Compare SWTOR to what XL or Anet are doing with their character creation and models... it's just embarrassing for BW imo.

.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMVNMn37amY 

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by grunt187

I prefer the approach of GW2's information delivery personally. It's still immersive, establishing atmosphere, occasion and character, but it's also economical with my time.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Some people will never impressed if the graphics are cartoony in style, its jsut natural.  I myself havent many problems with cartoony graphics but I would prefer more photo realistic approach>  I can say for certain that I loathe, detest, despise, outright hate anime/asian styled graphics and ill never play a game with those style (so sad I wont play ArcheAge) annd I understand why pople wont play SWTOR for its cartoony grapics.  Its the nature of the genre my friend.

It's not about the art style, WoW has a very cartoony art style but have very good graphics even tho it uses a very primmitive and simplistic engine, every thing still looks like it belongs perfectly in the world, and the art design is very immersive and pleasing to the eye.

ToR on the other hand is very simmilar to WAR, cartoony style but not as consistant and with graphical bugs to boot...

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

The graphics in AoC aren't always what people who play AoC imagine them to be, either.

* I don't have so much a problem with the quality of the graphics in ToR - I just find a LOT of the planets to be bland.  Too many of the same objects, decals, textures... repeated over and over and over and over...

Coruscant has to take the cake as one of the most bland capital cities in any MMO. 

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by grunt187

You know after looking at both. I just noticed the characters stand stiff as logs in the SWTOR cinematics, compared to the GW2 ones anyway. Only time they move is when they move their hands otherwise they don't even look like they are breathing.

BOOYAKA!

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I skipped over reading all these replies.

I've seen the new build.

Does it look nice? Yes.

Does it look stunningly better than the last build? No.

Is it on par with AOC graphically? No.

Do I really care? No.

Will I play this game? Yes.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by stayontarget

No I don't automatically assume its bad just because its in a cartoon art style.  The bottom line is Tor has piss poor animations & detail for a 2011 game.

.IMO ic.

Piss poor animations compared to what mmo?

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Originally posted by nerovipus32

No I don't automatically assume its bad just because its in a cartoon art style.  The bottom line is Tor has piss poor animations & detail for a 2011 game.

.IMO ic.

Why do people always come in here and ask questions like this?  Unless the only MMO you've ever played is WoW, then you should already know the answer to this question.  If the only MMO that you've ever played IS WoW, then I'm pretty amazed considering how many of them are free to play now.  Age of Conan is free to play if your computer can run it, LOTRO is free to play and there are tons of games with decent trial periods such as EVE's 14 day trial.  Go give all three of those a try, then you'll have the answer to your own question.

Yes lets use age of conan as a good example, a game that still cant get sieges workng properly  3 years later.

Originally posted by h0urg1ass

Originally posted by nerovipus32

.IMO ic.

Why do people always come in here and ask questions like this?  Unless the only MMO you've ever played is WoW, then you should already know the answer to this question.  If the only MMO that you've ever played IS WoW, then I'm pretty amazed considering how many of them are free to play now.  Age of Conan is free to play if your computer can run it, LOTRO is free to play and there are tons of games with decent trial periods such as EVE's 14 day trial.  Go give all three of those a try, then you'll have the answer to your own question.

i' don't understand what point you are trying to make here, don't try belittle me by telling me to try some free trials, i have played all the games you have mentioned, but your little piece still doesn't answer my question. lotro doesn't have great animations, eve is a spaceship game so you can't really compare it and age of conan has lots of sliding between animations.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

I dont get these people who believe in miracle patches or that the beta is not represntive of the game 11 days before release.

Ilove this game and love the look but I know damn dure that beta is what I am getting and I am super happy abou thtat.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Who cares about graphics in a mmo ? 

Play it if you like it or play something else how hard is that ?

• BarryManilowBarryManilow Member UncommonPosts: 701

We all know how great graphics doesn't always translate to a successful MMORPG.  Aion, FFXIV, AoC, and the list goes on has proven the fact it's not always about the graphics.  Gameplay, fun factor,  will always trump anything else.  Eye candy is gravy.

However, I do love the graphics of SWTOR.  I will play and enjoy the game not just because of graphics though.  It's the whole package.  

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

I loved AoC the first 6 months when it was released. I had a great time and the game looked very great for its time and for a MMORPG still does. Though graphicalwise it was far from perfect, there where enough things that looked ugly cause of the textures and such.

SWToR looks pretty too, atleast what i seen in the beta i found it pretty. Its a MMORPG and people have to understand that a MMORPG aims for as many people as posible instead of graphic whores. You prever graphics over gameplay then a MMORPG is not the genre for you. AoC made a huge mistake there. Even though the game look great it was also a anoying fest of loading screens. The maps where very small compared to other MMORPG's from that time and today even. You didn't feel like being in a far away land in a time long long ago. YOu felt you where in a game with silly loading screens (and in the first 6 months the loading screens could damage your game so you had to repair it again >.<).

The problem is also you can't really compare AoC and SWToR can you? Both use a different art style. AoC whent for a realistic aproach and SWToR aims for a cartoon art style. It would be like comparing Rachet and Clank with Uncharted cause both are action adventure games.

For a comic art style SWToR looks really great. And feck it as long as a game is fun to play who gives a damn about graphics? And why compare anyway? If you like SWToR you will like it no mather what others say.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I have doubts my friend, serious doubts.  Calling BS on this one.

I actually noticed a huge difference in graphics just between the first beta test weekend in the beginning of November to the second beta test weekend in the end of November.  Then I cranked up the graphics settings on the second weekend and saw another huge difference.  I am not saying the OP is right, but it would not surprise me after my experience and so I will wait and see.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by GMan3

I have doubts my friend, serious doubts.  Calling BS on this one.
        I actually noticed a huge difference in graphics just between the first beta test weekend in the beginning of November to the second beta test weekend in the end of November.  Then I cranked up the graphics settings on the second weekend and saw another huge difference.  I am not saying the OP is right, but it would not surprise me after my experience and so I will wait and see.

This is kind of the impression I got from the graphics while playing the different beta weekends. They were creating a 'baseline' graphics setup that could be improved tremendously later on while still running on a wide variety of systems without causing issues.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Originally posted by rdrpappy

I have, I also have the computer to "crank it up" and on my screen SWTOR looks as good or better than Age of Conan.

[Mod Edit]

I also know the build I play as a very seasoned beta tester is not the build that will go gold. So for those of you trying the graphics arguement, hate your computers because Bioware brought the graphics if you can run them. 

Sorry, hyperbole is how humans comunicate nowadays.

The "Graphics" as you loving call them for SWTOR, are NOT power hungry or needing. The game is so low key in terms of power requirements it's a joke honestly. My 6yr old gaming rigg that I haven't upgraded since I bought it runs the "NEW" build on the highest settings without issue. I continue to not be impressed, and the game continues to look & play like rubbish.

Please stop adding fluff hype to the game my friend.

-Faded

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.