Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goodbye SWG

To this day, SWG (pre-NGE) was the absolute best MMO experience I've had and I'm very sad to see it go.

Thank you to the original dev team who created a truly innovative MMO that kept many of us delightfully occupied from June 2003 til the NGE hit.

I truly miss the constant player interaction that is rare to find in today's mainstream MMO models.  Whether it was finding a doctor who had good buffs for a fair price or traveling to some far off player city because you knew that a guy there makes weapons with awesome stats, it all about the community and having the right connections.

No other MMO has provided me with the same level of immersion and variety of fun gameplay since.

It's sad to see it go but I'm hoping SWTOR will fill some of my cravings for Star Wars content although I do realize that the experience will be quite shallow compared to SWG. 

Comments

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by Mythios11

To this day, SWG (pre-NGE) was the absolute best MMO experience I've had and I'm very sad to see it go.

Thank you to the original dev team who created a truly innovative MMO that kept many of us delightfully occupied from June 2003 til the NGE hit.

I truly miss the constant player interaction that is rare to find in today's mainstream MMO models.  Whether it was finding a doctor who had good buffs for a fair price or traveling to some far off player city because you knew that a guy there makes weapons with awesome stats, it all about the community and having the right connections.

No other MMO has provided me with the same level of immersion and variety of fun gameplay since.

It's sad to see it go but I'm hoping SWTOR will fill some of my cravings for Star Wars content although I do realize that the experience will be quite shallow compared to SWG.  

The gameplay of TOR may be shallow compared to the *original* gameplay of SWG, that is fair.  The original system in SWG was innovative, compelling, and loads of fun, even if parts of it were a buggy mess that never got fixed.  Compared to the mess SWG was turned into?  Not so much.  But in terms of story, it is SWG that never had more depth than a puddle, and in that arena TOR wins hands down.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

Good point, I am looking forward to the overall story in SWTOR but I remain cautiously optimistic in the games playability over the long term.

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

Im an SWG devout like you but i can tell you after the Beta weekend of SWTOR, the star was experience you will get is far from Shallow. I thought that it was going to be all linear type gaming, but i saw in game some devices you could put on your own vehicles, and ive seen videos of people on speeders on tatooine I thibnk and the landscape looks open ended like SWG was.

This game is not SWG, but itsstill star wars , and it reaks of star wars atmosphere. Playing the beta at the weekend was a completely refreshing experience of another Star wars mmo. It showed me that it wsas not just SWG that had me hooked, it was the star wars universe and in SWTOR you will be pleasently surprised by thestar wars feel and content...even if the game is not so deep as SWG was, it compleltely helps you forget the sadness of SWG after CU and NGE :)

you will enjoy SWTOR trust me, it goes right to your heartlike swg did  because of the star wars atmosphere :)

• RayzornRayzorn Member Posts: 7

I did my goodbye to SWG back in 2007. 

SWG has been on crystal meth since novemeber 2005.

and LA and $OE are going to give it the big OD 15.desember.

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

That's definitely encouraging coming from a fellow SWG fan.  Thanks Kooshdin!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Despite the fact that i never really like this game, i think its a shame it gets shut down..

Still hoping tough that there will ever come private servers with pre NGE gameplay, as i never got to taste that

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)