Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPGs need non-spyware infected downloaders

trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

And by that, I mostly mean Pando.

There are several games I would like to try, but rely on Pando or offer mirrors from sites that don't allow resuming (and my internet is slow enough that I can't download more than a few gigs in a day)

This is one area Sony has done good in. And NCSoft.

But I beleve Turbine is using Pando, as are most no-name games.

But Steam, why don't more companies use that? It's got 14 in its F2P section, about half non MMORPGs

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

Comments

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Iirc pando supports resuming along with akamai. I use them but i make sure to remove them after i install the game.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• DonevDonev Member Posts: 143

Pando isn't nearly as bad as WoW's torrent client.

1. It will completely shut down a household internet connection, by using every bit of available upload/download. There is no way to throttle this.

2. You can't really turn it off. There are a few options where you can say for it to turn off, but if you monitor your internet connection.... it's not really off. 

3. It's packaged into the game itself. I don't play, but the wife does and if she leaves her computer on it will just destroy the internet in our house. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You could buy the game in a store (LOTRO and DDO can still be found for a few dollars), re install pando after you are done or download the installer from a torrent site like Pirate bay (it can't be illegal with a F2P game).

But yeah, Pando sucks. I personally check all installed programs once a month and everything that boots with the computer every 2 weeks or so to be sure I an't got crap like that on my computer.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

What does AoC use? thats the only game I've ever downloaded..

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Originally posted by Donev

There's an option to disable P2P transfer completely from WoW's downloader. It won't upload anything after that.

• DonevDonev Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by Vrika

Originally posted by Donev

There's an option to disable P2P transfer completely from WoW's downloader. It won't upload anything after that.

Watch your network speed.

It still uploads, but at a slower rate. But, at times when the computer itself isn't being used... the speed will increase drastically. It doesn't take into account the other computers on the network. 

It's pretty much the only 3rd party program, besides Microsoft Office and Firefox, my wife has installed on her computer. 

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by trancejeremy

And by that, I mostly mean Pando.

Pando's not spyware.

It's kind of funny seeing how many people seem to think that it is.  It's a pretty small number, since most know that it is not - are able to Google to see it is not - or realize that they are downloading a game that is likely F2P and one of the ways that the company is able to keep their costs down is by using peer networking from those that have downloaded the game.

Google...is your friend.

Though, somebody can post one of these threads every few months too, I suppose... the answer's the same.

"Oh noes, malwares!!!1!!!1!!!"

Um...no.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Pando Media Booster isn't spyware, malware or virusware. It is a hog of your internet connection so some publisher doesn't have to pay for that bandwidth.

If you can avoid it, NEVER use Pando or Akamai Net Session.

If you have to use it then uninstall it every single time is is put on your system.

If you don't want to do that then just shut it's process off in the Task Manager's Processes list whenever it doesn't need to be running.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams