Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-order numbers updated!

Comments

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198

Originally posted by catlana

As far as largest launch, Cataclysm remains king at 3.3 million preorders ( http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-sets-first-day-sales-record/ ). 

Cataclysm wasn't a launch, it was an expansion.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Originally posted by sgel

For example guild was 2 looks like shit. Its my opinion.Look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv6mCOo2k5k lol. This is good MMO? press 1, 1, 1, 1,1, 2 jump back. Oh no enemy getting close snare time! this combat looks even more boring than typical MMO. But thats my opinion.

Erm... I presume that's a guy leveling his guns or something?... As far as I know he can use various other combinations of weapons which means he can kill those mobs in several different ways.

What more can you do in SWTOR? :)..... other than have to stand still to use skills instead ;)

As for the numbers I was trying to illustrate how pointless it is to mention numbers as reasoning behind how good a game is.

Just because people are influenced by a various media/personal experiences/etc and mass-buy something, it doesn't mean it's good.

And just because a game/item/product caters to a niche market and enjoys much less sales/subscriptions doesn't mean it's bad.

Numbers mean nothing.

If numbers meant nothing....

• I'd still be playing E&B

• LoTRO, DDO, L2, AoC, FE, CO, CoH and EQ2 would all still be P2P

• I'd still be playing AC2

• SWG would not be shutting down

• Tabula Rasa would still  be around

• Dark and Light would be around

• I'd still be able to play Shadowbane

• Chronicles of the Spellborn would still be running

I mean we could go on, but hey keep telling yourself numbers don't matter and I'll keep wishing they really didn't.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Originally posted by sgel

For example guild was 2 looks like shit. Its my opinion.Look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv6mCOo2k5k lol. This is good MMO? press 1, 1, 1, 1,1, 2 jump back. Oh no enemy getting close snare time! this combat looks even more boring than typical MMO. But thats my opinion.

Erm... I presume that's a guy leveling his guns or something?... As far as I know he can use various other combinations of weapons which means he can kill those mobs in several different ways.

What more can you do in SWTOR? :)..... other than have to stand still to use skills instead ;)

As for the numbers I was trying to illustrate how pointless it is to mention numbers as reasoning behind how good a game is.

Just because people are influenced by a various media/personal experiences/etc and mass-buy something, it doesn't mean it's good.

And just because a game/item/product caters to a niche market and enjoys much less sales/subscriptions doesn't mean it's bad.

Numbers mean nothing.

When you are selling a product, numbers mean everything.

Like it was already pointed out..."doesnt mean it is good to you". Obviously some folks like Spears. I am a 70s/80s rock guy myself, and yet I understand there are  folks that prefer newer bands. Just like some prefer country, rap, pop, etc.

Are you gonna tell me a game like SWG was good? I view that as a totally broken, boring, craptastic attempt at a game. Yet some folks enjoyed it. The problem was not enough did. Thus the numbers showed that the majority didnt think it was "good".

You can keep telling yourself TOR isnt "good". The fact of the matter is that enough folks think that it is, and their support is evidenced by the huge number of pre orders. Just because it doesnt tickle your fancy, doesnt mean that it isnt the cats meow to others.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

@ Guileplayer

If you press 1 2 2 1 1 1 1 in any MMO, it's probably because of choice.  I doubt TOR makes this a requirement, and I know GW2 has 19 different buttons you can and should use, not to mention profession skills that interact with one another to create new effects one player alone cannot.  I've seen videos of good players and poor players, the good ones make the game look deep and engaging.  You're just picking out what you don't like off of Youtube and shoving it down people's throats as the only viable footage.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Guileplayer

Also while we are at it let us dispell the rift syndrome too. Rift pre-order numbers: http://www.vgchartz.com/charts/preorders.php?date=40601

It was only 51k US box sales.

That seems implausibly low, considering how packed Rift was during its early start.  If they only had 50k preorders, I doubt they ever had more than 80k subs, and that doesn't make sense.  It may have had poor retention, but I couldn't sworn it sold well, at least.  Does it include all digital downloads, and the deal they offered where you get a key from Trion directly?  

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Vhaln

Also while we are at it let us dispell the rift syndrome too. Rift pre-order numbers: http://www.vgchartz.com/charts/preorders.php?date=40601

That seems implausibly low, considering how packed Rift was during its early start.  If they only had 50k preorders, I doubt they ever had more than 80k subs, and that doesn't make sense.  It may have had poor retention, but I couldn't sworn it sold well, at least.  Does it include all digital downloads, and the deal they offered where you get a key from Trion directly?  

Actually, neither figure includes electronic or European preorders. Here is the link to all box sales including EU for Rift  http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales-data/49494/rift/ . If the numbers being mentioned by the Rift folks are correct, then about half of their sales are electronic. 

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

Originally posted by Eir_S

@ Guileplayer

If you press 1 2 2 1 1 1 1 in any MMO, it's probably because of choice.  I doubt TOR makes this a requirement, and I know GW2 has 19 different buttons you can and should use, not to mention profession skills that interact with one another to create new effects one player alone cannot.  I've seen videos of good players and poor players, the good ones make the game look deep and engaging.  You're just picking out what you don't like off of Youtube and shoving it down people's throats as the only viable footage.

Show him a good video then... If you're going to challenge his pick, provide a better one.

I don't mean to say that I agree with him, but your point is rather useless without a concrete example. Meaning, you won't get the message through with just talk.

• zephar123zephar123 Member UncommonPosts: 70

I am guessing 3 million worldwide at launch, 5 million tops, but I think its going be around 3 million.

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by dubyahite

For the week ending Nov. 26 (doesn't even count the entire beta or any time after the beta):

Total gained last week: 74,916   Total: 900,756

Remember, this is only NA and it only counts box pre-orders not digital.  EU and the rest of the world aren't counted, or the many of us that ordered digital copies.

For the week this was posted for, there are 4 weeks of pre-ordering left. This number will surely break 1 million NA box pre-orders.

This is just an absolutely huge number for a new MMO release. I would be willing to bet you can double that number for world-wide sales and possibly double it again for world-wide digital sales. That's just speculation, but we will see soon enough

Pre-order numbers from:

http://www.vgchartz.com/charts/preorders.php

And why do you think this website is accurate? Im sorry but unless  the dev compay  goes to them and tells them the exact number this is just speculation.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by LordRelic

For the week ending Nov. 26 (doesn't even count the entire beta or any time after the beta):
    Total gained last week: 74,916   Total: 900,756

Remember, this is only NA and it only counts box pre-orders not digital.  EU and the rest of the world aren't counted, or the many of us that ordered digital copies.
    For the week this was posted for, there are 4 weeks of pre-ordering left. This number will surely break 1 million NA box pre-orders.
    This is just an absolutely huge number for a new MMO release. I would be willing to bet you can double that number for world-wide sales and possibly double it again for world-wide digital sales. That's just speculation, but we will see soon enough

Pre-order numbers from:
    http://www.vgchartz.com/charts/preorders.php
    And why do you think this website is accurate? Im sorry but unless  the dev compay  goes to them and tells them the exact number this is just speculation.

They say as much on the website itself. One thing they do have is box sales from brick and mortar retailers. So what you can say about those numbers is that they are very close to the pre-orders for boxes from brick and mortar retailers. The numbers lack digital download pre-orders and will lack digital download sales.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by stealthbr

@ Guileplayer

Show him a good video then... If you're going to challenge his pick, provide a better one.

I don't mean to say that I agree with him, but your point is rather useless without a concrete example. Meaning, you won't get the message through with just talk.

Someone already posted a thief video that was far and away different than the first "boring" one that was posted.  That's my point, just like in any game, if you can find one video where someone doesn't know what they're doing, you can find one just as easily of a skilled player.  This seems to be more true of the thief class than any other, from my experience.  But if someone doesn't want to believe that the game takes skill but rather hitting all of two keys, all the videos in the world probably won't convince them otherwise.

But if anyone needs an example, here is a video that is a complete mess, only because the actual player isn't dodging or using any kind of special skills for most of the video.  He/she gets hit a lot, swings at thin air, and spams weak attacks.

http://youtu.be/v3_nNu1ssNA

Then there's this video, which while I don't intend to play a Necro initially, got me excited for the game because of the player's variety of attack and movement.

http://youtu.be/7dr9W_Qiiw4

Again, spamming 1 and 2 is a choice, it's not a requirement.  And in GW2, it'll probably get you killed anyway.

The same can be said for SWTOR.  I've never been interested enough to buy the game at launch, but there are vast differences in videos I've seen in terms of combat fluidity, NOT because of the game but because of the player.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Ok. Maybe I'm dense but even in these "better" videos you guys are showing, I don't see anythin super revolutionary like some people are claiming of GW 2.

What I see is targeting mobs, hitting numbers, and kiting a lot, with the extra ability to dodge. Is that the reason this is so different?

Looks like pretty standard mmo combat at it's core with some added complexities.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

Yeah i have even more videos of pvp and such, to be honest i see almost nothing new here. It's the same exact thing as any other MMO. I don't get how people are spouting "the most innovative MMO ever made" slogan. I think GW 2 will be biggest letdown and failure the MMO genre has seen. It looks no different than WoW aside from a dodge mechanic and weapon switching (combat wise). But that's just me. And let us talk about this elsewhere because this thread is not meant for this and we are going off-topic. But again IMO it looks like any other MMO and will probably fail to live up to its hype IMO. The fact that everyone had low expectation for TOR only helped it's cause when people played the beta but same can't be said about GW2. "Most innovative MMO ever made" is kind of hard to followup for any dev IMO.

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

welcome to reality man. Rift didn't do as good as people want you to think. As poster after your response pointed out the current world wide sales so far is rougly half a mil retail. So if we multiply that x2 (to count digital) it is rougly under 1 mil. Since retention wasn't good for rift it probably has around 400k active subs now currently.

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

welcome to reality man. Rift didn't do as good as people want you to think. As poster after your response pointed out the current world wide sales so far is rougly half a mil retail. So if we multiply that x2 (to count digital) it is rougly under 1 mil. Since retention wasn't good for rift it probably has around 400k active subs now currently.

Rift did well, but it could of really knocked it out of the park sub wise.

A number of individuals followed Hartsman due to his work on EQ2. The gonna be ex wife used to play that game non stop in her free time each day. She didnt last long in Rift. Whatever the differences were in the games, I know for her, it was a dealbreaker.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

Also remember this is one week from launch, they don't have numbers for how many were made in that last week. considering the audience for that game was a little less mainstream, I would imagine that they might have even hada greater than 1:1 digital to box ratio. Even early on (first weeks) there were sales at different places like D2D on the digital version as well. There weren't any sales on box as far as I know. 

I also believe that a lot of people picked up the game in the first couple weeks without preordering. It got a lot of good impressions that influenced people to give it a shot.

This might also be worth considering when looking at SWTOR. Normally, it seems, that most sales aren't from pre-orders on these games, but I think that might change with this game. There are just so many people that have been waiting a very long time for TOR that they are preordering, along with the early access incentive this is a pretty good attraction to pre-ordering. 

Also, I have to wonder about the digital to box sales ratio for TOR. On the one hand the box version is cheaper. On the other hand, the only special edition you can get without forking over th $150 for CE is the digital deluxe edition. I think a lot of people are going to be swayed to by that DE for the extras. 

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am in the camp of, if I enjoy it, it gets enough support and makes enough money to give me enough content/updates and support, I am happy.

Last MMO I really liked was Vanguard, until it failed the above criteria.  Rift was too railed/small, and I only ever played WoW beta (didn't do it for me).  Been trying to lower my expectations ever since I left Vanguard, as I think most of the mmos in the past 5 years are garbage.  I am not a big fan of instance everything, can't wait for more of the hybrids to come out.

I am hoping that swtor opens up and such when you get higher level (as people have said), either way I preordered it... It will either get me by until GW2/TSW, or it will be something I play along with GW2 or TSW.

My post wasn't even about the so-called innovation of GW2, I was simply asked to provide a difference between a skill spammer and someone who actively uses the skills at their disposal.  If you didn't see a difference between the two videos, that's a problem I can't really address.  Only when you've played the game can you say it's the same MMO with "added complexities".   {mod edit}

• MaGicBushMaGicBush Member UncommonPosts: 689

Originally posted by MaGicBush

Originally posted by oubers

It is a pretty good game.......i played beta last weekend and also preordered this morning (digital).

But i dont realy care about numbers that much tbh.

Yeah, all that really matters is if you have fun playing it or not. I'm just kind of a nerd for statistics and numbers. The fact that this is going to be the largest MMO launch ever is also kind of interesting to me. 

AoC I think had over 1 million pre-orders, so not the biggest launch ever but in the top 3 yes it is.

Come on stop making up stuff. Age of Conan didn't even have 500k pre-orders.How i know because they "shipped" not sold their 1 millionth copy three weeks after release. And this is a world wide sales figure.

http://www.mmogamer.com/06/06/2008/age-of-conan-ships-millionth-copy

I thought it did, was not making anything up a honest mistake. So I guess this is the second biggest launch then, it is a good game so hopefully it keeps these numbers after a few months. But that is completely up to Bioware and their patching.

--------------------

-Currently playing FFXIV, and BDO.

It is a pretty good game.......i played beta last weekend and also preordered this morning (digital).

Yeah, all that really matters is if you have fun playing it or not. I'm just kind of a nerd for statistics and numbers. The fact that this is going to be the largest MMO launch ever is also kind of interesting to me. 

AoC I think had over 1 million pre-orders, so not the biggest launch ever but in the top 3 yes it is.

Come on stop making up stuff. Age of Conan didn't even have 500k pre-orders.How i know because they "shipped" not sold their 1 millionth copy three weeks after release. And this is a world wide sales figure.

I thought it did, was not making anything up a honest mistake. So I guess this is the second biggest launch then, it is a good game so hopefully it keeps these numbers after a few months. But that is completely up to Bioware and their patching.

If TOR is going to be the second biggest launch, then what is the biggest? And don't say WoW.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

If TOR is going to be the second biggest launch, then what is the biggest? And don't say WoW.

AOC launched with approximately 500K(They were very...obtuse about actual numbers).  WAR launched with approx 800K.  SWTOR launches in 18 days, and has over 900K US physical pre-orders.  I would think it's not going to be much of a match at all.

• alancodealancode Member UncommonPosts: 163

Originally posted by stealthbr

@ Guileplayer

Someone already posted a thief video that was far and away different than the first "boring" one that was posted.  That's my point, just like in any game, if you can find one video where someone doesn't know what they're doing, you can find one just as easily of a skilled player.  This seems to be more true of the thief class than any other, from my experience.  But if someone doesn't want to believe that the game takes skill but rather hitting all of two keys, all the videos in the world probably won't convince them otherwise.

But if anyone needs an example, here is a video that is a complete mess, only because the actual player isn't dodging or using any kind of special skills for most of the video.  He/she gets hit a lot, swings at thin air, and spams weak attacks.

http://youtu.be/v3_nNu1ssNA

Then there's this video, which while I don't intend to play a Necro initially, got me excited for the game because of the player's variety of attack and movement.

http://youtu.be/7dr9W_Qiiw4

Again, spamming 1 and 2 is a choice, it's not a requirement.  And in GW2, it'll probably get you killed anyway.

The same can be said for SWTOR.  I've never been interested enough to buy the game at launch, but there are vast differences in videos I've seen in terms of combat fluidity, NOT because of the game but because of the player.

I've never once been intrested in GW2, even though I played GW1. I've seen videos and it is just not an MMORPG with RPG combat. It is if anything a dungeon crawling hatching from a shell. This is a freaking SW:TOR post, in a SW:TOR Thread. GTFO. 

(-_-)

• DMTalchemistDMTalchemist Member Posts: 23

Very good numbers. Any guesses on origin store numbers?

"LOL"

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

While comparisons and mentioning other games are fine with proper context, just try to make sure things don't go off topic, guys and keep things centered on SWTOR.

Thanks.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]