Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blind hyping

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Some peopel are hyping this on the MMORPG hype polls...

How can one hype a game like this with almost no information availalbe....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Because it's hype?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Antarctica

Some info about the game. =]

http://www.planetside-universe.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37350

Nothing but a bunch of screenies and a video or two and the general direction the game is taking...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ColRipperColRipper Member Posts: 2

There is plenty of information about Planetside 2 out there, just not a lot here. Go to the official home page, or the facebook page, or the twitter whatmathingys.  Tons of screen shots, tons of info, backstory, the lot.  The devs are already engaged with the (future) playerbase.  People are hyping PS2 because they ARE hyped for it, I know I am.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

lol looks like some people are downhyping this game because its getting more hype than the game they're following.

There is heaps of information, its all at Planetside Universe.

Its by far the most revolutionary MMO coming out by a top publisher and with a dedicated and skilled development team. 10 hype.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Agreed. People just hype this game blindly not knowing much about it. Not only about game but even about business model.

Okay we know it will be f2p. But will it be f2p or freemium. How will it be done. (reminder: it is pure pvp game so it is kinda important)

For game itself info is really scarce,etc

• RedKnightsRedKnights Member Posts: 8

There are reams of information and a lot of the basic premise and mechanics of the game a lot of art and a TON of answered questions via twitter. Besides, 3000 player battles simultniously? Who needs to know more than that? 

Originally posted by fenistil
    Agreed. People just hype this game blindly not knowing much about it. Not only about game but even about business model.
    Okay we know it will be f2p. But will it be f2p or freemium. How will it be done. (reminder: it is pure pvp game so it is kinda important)
    For game itself info is really scarce,etc

They have said they wont be selling power, while its possible there might be ever so slight upgrades available that work well with other weapon attachments or implants perhaps, the very idea that more power is even avalible is questionable since this is a skill based FPS.

and you will probably counter with, yes but SOE want to make money.

I will counter with: yes true, however more people playing and buying cheap shit like skins for their tanks and armour is going to generate more money than afew people buying big expensive pwn all guns that will cause them to haemorrhage players, just from them been available as you have pointed out originally.

SKYeXile

• ZulthusZulthus Member Posts: 1

...And? Planetside 2 will blow any other MMO out of the water. Also, there's heaps of information out on the game already.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=planetside+2+info

Indulge yourself.

• Raymac26Raymac26 Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by Antarctica

Some info about the game. =]

http://www.planetside-universe.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37350

Nothing but a bunch of screenies and a video or two and the general direction the game is taking...

Should a game only be hyped after it is released and all information is known? When is the "proper" time to begin hyping?

C'mon, it can only be hyped once per user anyways. As you can see, there's a ton of information out there already to get excited about this game. Sometimes just the fact that a sequel to Planetside is even being made is enough to get some people hyped. Are you worried because the "hype score" is rivaling some game you care about? Are you going to hype it down out of spite, or because other people are excited about it?

Bottom line is, the hyping is not blind. The devs have been very vocal about what they are doing and what they are working to create. Don't feel threatened. Join the party.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Suspiciously high number of low post counts and just-created accounts in this thread.

Purely coincidence, of course.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Suspiciously high number of low post counts and just-created accounts in this thread.

Could be the fact that this site finally posted some news about PS2.

SKYeXile

• Raymac26Raymac26 Member Posts: 24

Not coincidence. I've lurked on this site, but only decided to become active because of Planetside 2. I've frequented this site alot more as of late because of this game. I would think that mmorpg.com prefers more people coming here.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Information before ANY game is released is just nothing more than hype,it always means nothing until the game is released and played.

I saw a couple videos and this game does look interesting.The first version was aweful,but this one seems to be a lot better as far as hype goes.

The hype would of course be based on PVP only as this is the only real purpose of the game.

However what it is doing is creating a sort of CLASS structure.It will be exactly like COD in that they have added the upgrading aspects and unlocking stuff such as vehicles.It also has a sort of Unreal versus Halo mesh to it and all with modernized graphics.It also will have large scale battles,which is another thing pvpr's have been asking for.

The only drawback i see is in the upgrades,unlocking.I smell cash shop all over that and or time=reward.Whenever i have enjoyed PVP the most it is in true FPS games that do not have anything to make one player better than the other aside from latency of course.

This is however NOT a RPG,therefore i think it should be in the FPS Guru or whatever their sister site is called.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry
    Information before ANY game is released is just nothing more than hype,it always means nothing until the game is released and played.
    I saw a couple videos and this game does look interesting.The first version was aweful,but this one seems to be a lot better as far as hype goes.
    The hype would of course be based on PVP only as this is the only real purpose of the game.
    However what it is doing is creating a sort of CLASS structure.It will be exactly like COD in that they have added the upgrading aspects and unlocking stuff such as vehicles.It also has a sort of Unreal versus Halo mesh to it and all with modernized graphics.It also will have large scale battles,which is another thing pvpr's have been asking for.
    The only drawback i see is in the upgrades,unlocking.I smell cash shop all over that and or time=reward.Whenever i have enjoyed PVP the most it is in true FPS games that do not have anything to make one player better than the other aside from latency of course.
    This is however NOT a RPG,therefore i think it should be in the FPS Guru or whatever their sister site is called.

Devs have said they like LOL's model...BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

It has 3 faction PVP, something missing in alot of "pvp" mmo's these days, something im gald they're sticking with. Im not to keen on the classes i liked planetsides cert system of build your own, but we'll see what they have instaleld for us, they're currently planning on having 6 of them.

SKYeXile

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Since there is no PvE, how can there be any RPG...

This game is clearly an MMOFPS game. So why is it listed as an MMORPG?

• EduardoASGEduardoASG Member Posts: 832

sama happened with gw2..

as a general rule, not giving much credit to the hype level in websites is better.. its all about marketing.

Aion, AoC, AC, AO, DDO, Eve, Eq2, GW, MW3, L1&2, RF, RIFT, SWG, SWTOR, TR, UO, WOW, WAR

Since there is no PvE, how can there be any RPG...

This game is clearly an MMOFPS game. So why is it listed as an MMORPG?

rpg is a broad term, in its weakest sense it means character progression or advancement, that does not directly equate to player power in PS or PS2, but it has it, so it qualifys.

And lets be serious, the game is going to be WAY more of an MMO than half the shit on here, more than makes up for its poor qualification as an RPG.

SKYeXile

• AntiFearAntiFear Member Posts: 58

There is a ton of info about PS2. If there wasn't the Planetside community wouldn't have their panties in such a bunch. All of us are absolutely tearing our hair out waiting to play this game, and thats because we know it has potential to be the greatest game we ever play. And every tiny piece of info we have been able to gather so far has made us drool even more.

In Short, Higby and the boys are making an incredible game, and are doing an awesome job giving info to the community, moreso than any other game i can remember. With the exception of Gods And Heroes, i really enjoyed working with those dev's.

• chuds14chuds14 Member Posts: 3

Seeing as this is a sequel to a great, though not particular succesful, game, its not hard to imagine its hype level reaching pretty high. I know I'm gonna hype it up when I get 5 rank :D. Its got a smallish but dedicated community that's survived for 8 years for a reason.

Plus if you follow the forums at http://www.planetside-universe.com/ actively, there's actually quite a bit of information out there, though not really organized in any meaningful way.

• PSCratorPSCrator Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Raymac26

Not coincidence. I've lurked on this site, but only decided to become active because of Planetside 2. I've frequented this site alot more as of late because of this game. I would think that mmorpg.com prefers more people coming here.

I justed created an account on this site the other day to hype PS2. I've played PS1 since open beta back in 2003...

• WiteBeamWiteBeam Member Posts: 9

It's sad how a bunch of D&D kids can get pissed off when a better game is going to come out and smash the shit out of all the little roll playing games. "Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!"

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by WiteBeam

It's sad how a bunch of D&D kids can get pissed off when a better game is going to come out and smash the shit out of all the little roll playing games. "Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt! Lightning bolt!"

It can't smash a role playing game when it's not targeting the same consumers. Think about it.

• WiteBeamWiteBeam Member Posts: 9

I guess you're right. PlanetSide did have a lot of RPG charactoristics to it thought. I am just ready for the damn thing to be done so we can play it.

• PSCratorPSCrator Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by grunty

Because it's hype?

Just to let everyone know. PS2 was originally not going to be an entirely new game. They had planned to apply upgraded graphics to PS1 instead. Then they had this new graphics engine called Forgelight and decided to build an entirely new game. However, a lot of the game-play elements that were in PS1 are going to be used in PS2. So, knowing that, we actually have a whole lot of info on this game based on what we know about PS1.