Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people classify this as a MMO?

Comments

• MalaksbaneMalaksbane Member Posts: 148

Originally posted by russellb1975

So it will have an auction house?   How about a mail system?  Is it like Guild Wars where it's all instanced or is it open ended and I can walk past a bunch of people killing something and help them?   

An auction house is hardly a required feature for a MMO? But yes there is, no it's not all instanced and yes, you can walk past a bunch of people and help them.

There's a lot more to discover about GW2 and it's website is an excellent source of information

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Lambon

This is an MMO but it is not an MMORPG.

It's an action MMO with RPG elements.

It has as many RPG elements, if not more, of any other MMORPG out there.  Its an MMORPG. Stop trying to split hairs.

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

Originally posted by marinrider

It has as many RPG elements, if not more, of any other MMORPG out there.  Its an MMORPG. Stop trying to split hairs.

Very true. A-net are trying very hard to inject a lot of RPG elements in GW2.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

It has more RPG then any other MMO out there, only competing with SWTOR. The personal story is the oldfashioned single player type of RPG  people recognise immediately. But the dynamic events are an entirely new way of telling (wrong word) stories out in the open world, better call it showing stories.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I played the first Guild Wars and remember people calling that an MMO too.  But it wasn't.  So why is this even classified as an MMO and not a multiplayer RPG.....

How is it not a MMO?

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

I trust you'd say Skyrim is an action game with RPG elements too?

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

So it will have an auction house?   How about a mail system?  Is it like Guild Wars where it's all instanced or is it open ended and I can walk past a bunch of people killing something and help them?   

Auction house and mail system being the two most important features constituting an MMORPG.

• maimeekraimaimeekrai Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by Lobotomist

But worry not

GW2 will be more of MMO SWTOR is

What?

------- END TRANSMISSION

• maimeekraimaimeekrai Member UncommonPosts: 256

Originally posted by KillHurt

A-Net tried hard to differentiate GW from the rest of the MMOPRG's by calling it a CORPG "Cooperative Online RPG". 

That's just Marketting speak.

When you played it, it turned out to be just a MMORPG except with hubs and instances.

------- END TRANSMISSION

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Originally posted by Mundus

Auction house and mail system being the two most important features constituting an MMORPG.

Say what?

your kidding right

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by maimeekrai

A-Net tried hard to differentiate GW from the rest of the MMOPRG's by calling it a CORPG "Cooperative Online RPG". 

When you played it, it turned out to be just a MMORPG except with hubs and instances.

I have to disagree.  I think they were trying to make a clear distinction between games with an open world (where massive numbers of people can play in the same area and see each other), and games that are lobby-based with instances that only allow a small number of people to play in them.  In terms of play experience, there's certainly a big difference, imho.

Originally posted by laserit

Originally posted by Mundus

Say what?

your kidding right

Given the context, I am pretty sure Mundus's post was dripping with sarcasm.

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

Indeed it was.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Originally posted by maimeekrai

The hubs and instances part made GW1 non-massive (max party size was 8 in most instances, 12 at the most) so no, GW1 was not a massive multiplayer online game. Anet, fans and haters pretty much all agree on that.

Further more the 'C' does not stand for cooperative but for competitive, GW1 was originally intended to be a pvp game with PvE being just a long and interesting tutorial.

• DarksecDarksec Member Posts: 13

If this is more open ended this time them count me well and truly in.

I liked guild wars one but it had its gripes for me.

For me i always preffered games that were classed as MMO's to be open ended in terms of the world itself. Id love to be able to walk about where ever and see other players all over the place running about doing their own thing not just NPC's and your grouped buddies.

I want an MMO to be like an open living world where you could chat, barter and help or ask for help of others whilst out and about. The visual aspect of others being visable going about there business is to me what an MMO should be cos to me if you just have groups only and safe areas being the only place people can see each other then its not an MMO (in my eyes) though of coarse there is no rule book.

If this looks as beautiful as the trailer and is like this as well as being free to play then ill get that pre-order down asap and ill be spreading the word with my mates too.

• claytosclaytos Member Posts: 177

• KonyakKonyak Member Posts: 156

Originally posted by Darksec

If this is more open ended this time them count me well and truly in.

There is no "if", it is an open world. So you're in luck.

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    Why don't people read the stickies???!?!!?!?!?!!?!??!?!?!?

• KonyakKonyak Member Posts: 156

Originally posted by star

Why don't people read the stickies???!?!!?!?!?!!?!??!?!?!?

I've been saying that for the past few months. All anyone ever says to me is to stop being an asshole.

• JarazarJarazar Member Posts: 231

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I played the first Guild Wars and remember people calling that an MMO too.  But it wasn't.  So why is this even classified as an MMO and not a multiplayer RPG.....

GW2 will be more of MMO SWTOR is

Fire goooood.

Seriously though...why drag ToR into this? Both GW2 and ToR are going to be good I hope. Why should one be better since they are two seperate genres? Why not "ToR will be the best sci-fi mmo" and "GW2 will be the best fantasy mmo".

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

OP got his answer long time ago, its called a MMO because it is a MMO.

Back is only the question why is this thread still alive ? I vote for closing it

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

It's an action MMO with RPG elements.

• heavyhebrewheavyhebrew Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by BWDingo

It's an action MMO with RPG elements.

You have made Warf sad. Now face the wrath of the Kilngon Empire for your fail at semantics!

TRUST THE COMPUTER! THE COMPUTER IS YOUR FRIEND!

Stay Alert! Trust No One! Keep Your Laser Handy!

Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I have a hard time understanding how people haven't read up on all the different aspects of GW2. I found myself in a conversation the other day and they hadn't even heard of GW2 let alone know anything about the dynamics. I was completely blown away they didn't even know anything about it.

"Great" I think to myself "now I have to explain the whole thing to these noobs" and commenced on filling them in on the game. I guess I shouldn't have been so disgusted, my parents don't even play videogames, but you'd think they still would have heard about it. Anyhow, they probably were the last people on the planet to live in ignorance of the greatest MMO ever not quite released.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

Massively in MMORPG should mean that all players play in the same world at the same time concurrently. That's the whole point. MMORPGs don't do that anymore instead they are just Multiplayer RPGs with implementations that allow 20-40-100 people play in instanced areas. That's why the state of all new and current MMORPGs suck right now and why the older MMORPGs that actually attempt to have a full MMORPG were so much more fun to play since they were closer to the actual definition.

If we try to change the definition now though who would enforce it? No game companies would listen because just by slapping that genre title on their game alone they think (and may even succeed) it brings in game box/digitalbox sales from consumers who don't know the difference.

(This applies to most all MMORPGs not just Guild Wars 2 which is also going to have instanced content)

Originally posted by Plasmicredx

Massively in MMORPG should mean that all players play in the same world at the same time concurrently. That's the whole point. MMORPGs don't do that anymore instead they are just Multiplayer RPGs with implementations that allow 20-40-100 people play in instanced areas. That's why the state of all new and current MMORPGs suck right now and why the older MMORPGs that actually attempt to have a full MMORPG were so much more fun to play since they were closer to the actual definition.

If we try to change the definition now though who would enforce it? No game companies would listen because just by slapping that genre title on their game alone they think (and may even succeed) it brings in game box/digitalbox sales from consumers who don't know the difference.

(This applies to most all MMORPGs not just Guild Wars 2 which is also going to have instanced content)

Frankly,  I think instanced content for fine-tuned small group challenges is fine.  Without it being instanced, you can't have that.  I am not a big fan of doing it for large groups (such as raiding however), as I think trying to fine-tune large groups is insanely problematic.  Like you said as well, doing it for large groups then turns the game into something where you just don't have people interacting in the field very much.  I think GW2 is doing a lot here to make things better.  Some instanced stuff is not bad.