Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer Help

Comments

• jml816jml816 Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by Quizzical

So it sounds like the old computer does need to still work?  What parts do you have extras for, and what do you not?

It sounds like you can take the video card and power supply, and revert to what originally came with the computer.  Do you have a spare hard drive, optical drive, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, and surge protector?

Oh I see.  I only have spare video card and psu.. Yes the old one does still need to work

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Could you find the exact brand name and model on the power supply that you bought and want to use for the new computer?  If it's a 650 W Corsair power supply, it's probably fine, but I want to make sure.  Frying up a $1000 computer because the power supply isn't what you thought it was would be a costly mistake.

Also, how much storage capacity do you need?  Flooding in Thailand about a month ago greatly reduced the world's hard drive production, so hard drives are very expensive right now.  You can get a ~120 GB SSD for around the same price as a 1 TB hard drive, and if 120 GB is adequate capacity for you, then you could go with just an SSD and no hard drive.  It would be easy enough to add a hard drive six months or a year from now if you decide you need more capacity then.

Could you find the exact brand name and model on the power supply that you bought and want to use for the new computer?  If it's a 650 W Corsair power supply, it's probably fine, but I want to make sure.  Frying up a $1000 computer because the power supply isn't what you thought it was would be a costly mistake.

Also, how much storage capacity do you need?  Flooding in Thailand about a month ago greatly reduced the world's hard drive production, so hard drives are very expensive right now.  You can get a ~120 GB SSD for around the same price as a 1 TB hard drive, and if 120 GB is adequate capacity for you, then you could go with just an SSD and no hard drive.  It would be easy enough to add a hard drive six months or a year from now if you decide you need more capacity then.

I am actually 90% sure it is a Corsair Gaming Series 600w ATX CPU PSU.. I will not be 100% sure until I go home and check this Thursday.  Would you suggest getting a new one if it is that?  Also I figure 120GB SSD should be sufficient considering it is solely for gaming.. By the way, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all of your help..

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

I would check cyberpowerpc.com. Just looking at their current specials, you can get a computer under $1000 that will exceed your needs. For instance:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/CyberPower_X58_Configurator/

It's probably $75 shipping, but you could do things like switch out the case for a cheaper one to give yourself more room on the cost.

edit: I bought my computer from them 9 months ago and was very happy. Great customer service, too, when I requested a change  to my order.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

Originally posted by jml816

I am actually 90% sure it is a Corsair Gaming Series 600w ATX CPU PSU.. I will not be 100% sure until I go home and check this Thursday.  Would you suggest getting a new one if it is that?  Also I figure 120GB SSD should be sufficient considering it is solely for gaming.. By the way, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all of your help..

A Corsair GS600 is decent enough, so there wouldn't be any real need to replace it.  I was hoping you had a TX650 V2, which is pretty nice.  You should probably check, but I'll pick out parts for a build for you shortly.

Originally posted by Joarnaj

I would check cyberpowerpc.com. Just looking at their current specials, you can get a computer under $1000 that will exceed your needs. For instance:

There's no sense in using Cyber Power PC if you can assemble your own parts.  And even if you did want to use them, the X58 platform is woefully obsolete.  Two years ago, it was obsolete for most gaming use.  Back then, one could perhaps justify it for CrossFire/SLI use, but not anymore.

A Corsair GS600 is decent enough, so there wouldn't be any real need to replace it.  I was hoping you had a TX650 V2, which is pretty nice.  You should probably check, but I'll pick out parts for a build for you shortly.

Yes well I will definately check once I get back.  But thank you.. Ill be waiting for the build :) .. Would you think what you will be picking out will be able to run those games well?

One other quick question:  do you want to overclock the processor?  Normally, you'd have to pay an extra $10 to get the overclockable version of the Core i5 2500, but at the moment, New Egg has the price gap at $30.  So in order to overclock the processor, you'd have to pay an extra $30 for just the processor, as well as maybe an extra $20 or so for a better motherboard that can handle the overclock.

There's no sense in using Cyber Power PC if you can assemble your own parts.  And even if you did want to use them, the X58 platform is woefully obsolete.  Two years ago, it was obsolete for most gaming use.  Back then, one could perhaps justify it for CrossFire/SLI use, but not anymore.

The $1000 budget is rather limiting so, although I'm certain you are correct, cyberpowerpc has decent bang for the buck. If you want to shop all over the world and back for parts you might do better, but probably slightly better for the same cost or the same quality for slightly less cost. When I bought mine I did plenty of research on parts and found that the few dollars I might save simply wasn't worth it since cyberpowerpc actually had very competitive pricing on their components.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

One other quick question:  do you want to overclock the processor?  Normally, you'd have to pay an extra $10 to get the overclockable version of the Core i5 2500, but at the moment, New Egg has the price gap at $30.

if it would help the performance a noticeable amount then yes.

Yes, they should all work together.  For a lot of parts, you can grab whatever, plug it in, and it should work.  So long as you're using modern parts, the main compatibility concern is making sure that the motherboard can take the processor and memory you want.  I guess there are also concerns with making sure that the case and power supply can handle the rest of the parts.

Yes, they should all work together.  For a lot of parts, you can grab whatever, plug it in, and it should work.  So long as you're using modern parts, the main compatibility concern is making sure that the motherboard can take the processor and memory you want.  I guess there are also concerns with making sure that the case and power supply can handle the rest of the parts.

Ok.  Thank you so much for your help.  I will let you know if any purchases are made this weekend.. I am looking to build this over winter break.  Also I just found an unused Windows 7 in my room so I wont need that

Here you go.  All prices include shipping, and are before rebates.

Processor/motherboard combo deal:  $355

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.763312

Processor cooler:  $26

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

SSD:  $143

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226152

Memory:  $32

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178333

Case:  $70

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

Optical drive:  $16

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151233

Operating system:  $100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

Keyboard:  $17

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126096

Mouse:  $20

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826623004

Speakers:  $13

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121013

Surge protector:  $10

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812220019

Monitor:  $190

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236174

Total:  $992, which fits within your budget.

Seriously?? So you get slower processing speed and a lower quality and slower video card than the cyberpowerpc system I linked BUT you get the "advantage" of getting to build it yourself. What a deal.

Then again, if you want to build it yourself and you already have the windows 7 then that might be your option, but I definitely think you can do better than the on board video card.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Seriously?? So you get slower processing speed and a lower quality and slower video card than the cyberpowerpc system I linked BUT you get the "advantage" of getting to build it yourself. What a deal.

The 2500k he linked is better than the old i7's that were available in the configuration you posted. The OP also already has a decent video card. The build Quizz posted gets a lot more for the money than wjhat you posted.

I'd have gone with 1600mhz ram for a 2500k.

What are you talking about?  A Core i5 2500K is much faster than a Core i7-960.  Maybe 20% faster if both are at stock speeds.  It also has more overclocking headroom, and is easier to overclock due to the unlocked multiplier.

The original poster already has a GeForce GTX 560 Ti, so there's no real point in replacing that.  If the CyberPower PC system has to pay for a video card and power supply, it's not entirely an apples to apples comparison, but the default configuration there is a very low end card that won't run games well, and a piece of junk power supply, so that only inflates the price by maybe $50-$70.

What I linked also gets you more memory capacity and double the SSD capacity.  The former isn't that important, but the latter sure is.  It also includes a monitor, speakers, and a surge protector, which the CyberPower PC one doesn't.  My build also includes shipping, and yours doesn't.

Take out the monitor, speakers, and surge protector from my build, and the video card and power supply from the CyberPower PC build, so that the parts are comparable.  If you do that, then mine is around $100-$150 cheaper.  And it's also quite a bit better.

Then again, if you want to build it yourself and you already have the windows 7 then that might be your option, but I definitely think you can do better than the on board video card.

First, the parts I linked don't have integrated graphics, or any other sort of graphics.  The motherboard will disable the graphics built into the processor.

More importantly, if you read the thread, the original poster already has a GeForce GTX 560 Ti.  He used it to try to upgrade an old computer, but decided it would be better to build a new computer around it instead, and return the original parts to the old computer.  The very reason this thread went on for so long was trying to pick out what parts he already has and what he needs new.  And yes, a GeForce GTX 560 Ti is better than a GeForce GT 520.

Originally posted by Kabaal

The 2500k he linked is better than the old i7's that were available in the configuration you posted. The OP also already has a decent video card. The build Quizz posted gets a lot more for the money than wjhat you posted.

I'd have gone with 1600mhz ram for a 2500k.

I thought about that, but it didn't quite fit the $1000 budget without cutting back somewhere else.  But if the original poster already has an unused, legal copy of Windows 7 lying around, that saves $100, and frees up room to spend another $12 on memory:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

The other obvious places to spend the extra $100 would have been a nicer power supply or a nicer video card, but neither of those are really an option with the parts already bought.  It doesn't make sense to scrap a decent enough power supply and spend $70 to get something that is maybe $10 worth of "better".

First, the parts I linked don't have integrated graphics, or any other sort of graphics.  The motherboard will disable the graphics built into the processor.

More importantly, if you read the thread, the original poster already has a GeForce GTX 560 Ti.  He used it to try to upgrade an old computer, but decided it would be better to build a new computer around it instead, and return the original parts to the old computer.  The very reason this thread went on for so long was trying to pick out what parts he already has and what he needs new.  And yes, a GeForce GTX 560 Ti is better than a GeForce GT 520.

I stand schooled. Carry on.

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492

or skip buying Windows 7 on newegg and spend that hundo on better RAM/ better speakers/ a sound card. Or are we not supposed to talk about that?

• StormsoneStormsone Member UncommonPosts: 83

I don't like the p67 series motherboard much why not look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519%2050001442%2040000280%20600093976&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=280%7C13-157-250%5E13-157-250-TS%2C13-138-319%5E13-138-319-TS

if you bought the biostar card and the cpu you wanted it would be cheaper then the bundle and a better card too,the other board would be around 55$ more  but it has way more features.

Originally posted by Stormsone

I don't like the p67 series motherboard much why not look at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006519%2050001442%2040000280%20600093976&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=280%7C13-157-250%5E13-157-250-TS%2C13-138-319%5E13-138-319-TS

if you bought the biostar card and the cpu you wanted it would be cheaper then the bundle and a better card too,the other board would be around 55$ more  but it has way more features.

The Biostar motherboard is a piece of junk.  The Asrock motherboard is nice, but would add $53 to the price tag ($68 if you count rebates) while adding mainly a bunch of features that don't matter.

Post your complete list of parts and let's see what you've got.  Post everything, not just a few "main" specs.  And post as much detail as you can.  For most things, the exact brand name and model would be ideal, if you have it.

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Compaq-Presario
    System Model: AY138AA-ABA CQ5320Y
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 01/07/10 11:37:11 Ver: 5.17
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 240 Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
    Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 3072MB RAM
    Page File: 1792MB used, 4348MB available
    Windows Dir: C:Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

does this help??

When I play Rift, I can set everything to Ultra settings but it is pretty choppy.. I get about between 15-35fps.. By reading my specs, what are the main reasons for the choppyness and lack of fps?