Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Skeptic Plays Beta Weekend

Like most everyone and their dog, someone saw fit to open the floodgates and let this partocular lunatic into the SW:ToR beta. I've been a dubious critic of the game; hopes raised in some instances, and finding no merit in other aspects. However, nothing compares to having actual experience under your belt. I found my impessions of the game mixed, my thoughts tumbling from an odd alchemy of sameness and salient points. So, because nobody demanded it, I am writing my review.

Some points about me that will help you get a better understanding of the shapes of my opinions: I was playing in UOs hayday. I never played SWG. Sandbox can be fun, just as themepark can be fun. I played WoW, had fun, but quit a long time ago. I've beta tested many games, and played/subbed even more.

Another pertinent point: Since I am getting the game, I decided to play opposite faction, and a class I would never, ever think about playing. Ever. I rolled a Rattaki Sith Inquisitor, got him to level 14, and chose Sorcerer advanced class.

Patcher/Logging in: This may seem like a trivial point, but if you haven't found a game that has problems with logging in and patching, you haven't been playing MMOS for very long. ToR had a very smooth, error-free, patching process, and logging in gave me zero trouble at all.

Character creation: Skimpy on the choices, in my opinion. Not enough sets of faces and too many restrictions on tats, jewelry, piercing, etc. I feel there could be a more robust sampling of choices to assist with differentiation.

Graphics: Well, this was one of the most disappointing aspects of the game for me. If they were aiming for the Clone Wars style, they succeeded. Personally, I was hoping for something more modern and articulate in the way of styling. A science-fiction space opera holds great potential for sophisticated looks. However, that being said, the graphics didn't detract from too much of the game for me. I just kept thinking, "This is 2011, already."

Stability: Never had a single crash. Lag was largely non-existent. Extremely smooth for me. I run a decent gaming rig, however.

Personal Storyline: I am a person who enjoys nuance of character, and the storylines made me feel like I could express a certain degree of control over my personality. It did make questing more bearable. As a Rattaki Sith, I was exposed to lots of racism from other Sith, and this was consistent between different NPC's. I really enjoyed that. Personal storylines are something I hope continue in other MMOs. I think it is significant that I read through every single line of voice acting. I never skipped. And keep in mind this was for a faction/class that really holds no appeal for me.

Since I was only lvl 14, I didn't really get to see how my Light/Dark side choices affected me. Perhaps that would be revealed down the road.

Voice Acting: I see other posts saying they were disappointed by the voce acting. I confess I cannot understand how that can be. The timbre of the voices, the nuanced aggressive/dismissive/patronizing/grateful tones were all present, and there was no over-acting (not even the clearly insane NPC quest givers). Wonderfully done.

Companions: Going hand-in-hand with the Storyline, I found the companions to be unexpectedly nice. While I wish there was more choice for the first one you get, I understand why the did chose the ones they did. Khem Val tanked, while I shot lightning and healed from afar. I was also impressed with the Affection meter. Khem values individualism, honor, and strength. He despises subservience and reliance. It was interesting to hear him chime in on a decision I made. I wish there were more skin choices for him, and it was odd seeing everyone else running around with their own Tickle-Me-Khem doll, but they soon grew invisible.

Crafting: Honestly, I enjoy crafting in MMOs in general. I like taking a break from the questing and simply relaxing while creating some items while chatting with guildmates. SW:ToR kinda removes that for me by having Companions go after the materials via off-world quests. You can still do some of your own, of course, and I realize this is a matter of convenience, but it did not produce that same nostalgia for me as in other games. Still, a relatively minor quibble.

Combat: Fairly standard MMO fare. I saw nothing to grouse about, nor anything severely lacking.

Questing: Familiar is the best way I can put this. Very familiar. For some, this is good, for others, not so much. I could feel the sameness of the questing dragging on me as time went by. The stories behind them did help, but I know not everyone will care about cutscenes and backstory. I did very much like the Heroics where you only needed one other person. It was easy to get a group and do that content and then move along in your chain. I did not get to do any Flashpoints, so I won't comment.

Animations: Again, standard. I am neutral on the animations. I did see some clipping.

World size: Large. My most recent stint in an MMO is WAR, so my perspective may be skewed, but the ToR worlds seemed vast and huge. However, you are boxed in a bit. It is not as open as I was expecting, but the sheer size masks it rather well.

All in all? It's difficult for me to say. It is not the most amazing game ever, nor is it a pile of trash. It is comfortable, even if a little mundane for me, and I think someone with more of an attachment to Star Wars and/or Bioware will be thrilled. I am neither of these so I found some parts good, some parts mediocre. Nothing was bad (well, my issue with the style and graphics won't go away, but that's a very personal opinion). I'll play it, as I said before, only this time with the class and faction I want, and with a PvP-oriented guild. Given that, I think this will entertain me well for a few months, but beyond that I'll wait and see.

I did come to the conclusion that I'd make a terrible Sith. I ended with 250 Dark and 250 Light side points. What I found rather surprising (in a good way) was that some of my Light Side choices gave me Affection from my companion when it involved honor and independance.

Thanks for reading.