Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Negative Community and nothing has been done by it.

kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707

Over the years I have noticed MMORPG going down hill none stop. This has pretty much and this my personal opinion turned into 4chan MMORPG edition. Instead of actually checking out news and reading comments on and about the new great content you get an argument how it's good or bad not actually on how it works or where to go or anything like that just pure total drama. Then I check the forums on the latest MMORPG and people take their sad time trolling and dishing out insults about other games.. BUT WAIT if you make a valid argument like this game blows crap because I played THEN hey it's totally allowed!

I mean what happen? Trolling has gotten bad and I mean really bad over the years on the internet. But damn you think some of the major sites would actually try to have some last respect for yourself. Well I guess money does not grow on respect it grows on numbers.

My site suggestion? Hire more mods and prevent all this hate and like on the forums period unless it's only if people ask for feedback or it's a VS thread. If someone posting sharing their experince there should be no comments like meh this game sucks or this game could done better or ohh I hate the music. Who cares what you think we are here for the people who enjoy that game.

SNIP

Comments

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

I have to agree with you.

I don't know if MORE mods are the answer. But posters who intentionally derail every single thread need to be dealt with.

Threads should stay on topic, and trolls / haters who attempt to derail them should recieve infactions. Not those of us who call them out.

Something needs to be done, seriously.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

I don't know if MORE mods are the answer. But posters who intentionally derail every single thread need to be dealt with.

Threads should stay on topic, and trolls / haters who attempt to derail them should recieve infactions. Not those of us who call them out.

Don't call them out. Report them.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Originally posted by grunty

Yes, please just report these posts and let us handle them. We go through every report . Calling them out just keeps the back and forth arguments and negativity going., and makes us mods spend more time on each thread, so letting us just take care of  things makes it faster for us all.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Yep! More chefs in the kitchen isn't always the answer. It's harder to maintain a consistency in moderation when there are too many moderators. We'll never have enough moderators for our 400+ forums so it is important that the community pitches in by reporting posts or threads that need moderator attention. If you feel like you're being a snitch or something by reporting, you shouldn't. Reporting a post or thread really helps gets mod eyeballs on it because there is no way they can be everywhere at once. Sure, we work on identifying problematic forums and focusing moderator attention on them, but this isn't a silver bullet.

Now if you ARE reporting things and finding that they aren't being handled in a satisfactory manner please get in touch with me so I can look into it. Thanks!

• gimmekeygimmekey Member Posts: 117

Originally posted by MikeB

Yep! More chefs in the kitchen isn't always the answer. It's harder to maintain a consistency in moderation when there are too many moderators. We'll never have enough moderators for our 400+ forums so it is important that the community pitches in by reporting posts or threads that need moderator attention. If you feel like you're being a snitch or something by reporting, you shouldn't. Reporting a post or thread really helps gets mod eyeballs on it because there is no way they can be everywhere at once. Sure, we work on identifying problematic forums and focusing moderator attention on them, but this isn't a silver bullet.

Now if you ARE reporting things and finding that they aren't being handled in a satisfactory manner please get in touch with me so I can look into it. Thanks!

Reporting doesn't seem to get the job done in many cases. There's either a flagrant bias towards some longstanding members, or these people with specific agendas against certain titles are being left to their own devices.

No sweat off my back. You're far from being the only gaming site out there.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by gimmekey

Reporting doesn't seem to get the job done in many cases. There's either a flagrant bias towards some longstanding members, or these people with specific agendas against certain titles are being left to their own devices.

No sweat off my back. You're far from being the only gaming site out there.

I don't know, I've seen a pretty large (much larger than usual) number of [Mod Edit]s over the last couple of weeks than previously, and on both sides of the fence.  I'm assuming the deletions and even bans are approximately proportionately handled as well.  YMWV.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

I think part of the problem is the GM's fail to see the forest from the tree's when it comes to negative posts.  

For the most part it's easy to tell if a trolls a troll.  Most trolls use poor grammer make short snide remarks and usually post obvious troll material, however some trolls are a bit more professional.  Some trolls spend a good deal of time proof reading there posts and know enough about hte rules of conduct to stay just out of trouble.  The trouble is when these professional trolls make hundreds or even thousands of negative posts about a single game.  Reguardless of how well written a post is making countless negative posts about the same game is trolling.  Just make a post or two stating why you dislike a game and move on to another MMO and another subforum.  Yes a negative review of a game should always be accepted as a legitimate post on MMORPG.com, but there's a line between an honest negative review and out and out bashing of a game.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Dunno, seems that what some want are just to hear from people that completely agree with them. Sure this site has some that are true trolls, and out to cause problems. But the vast majority do folllow the rules.

Speak your piece, but keep it within the topic. And sorry, but someone saying hey, i tried this game and i totaly disagree with you and here's why... IS fine by me.

What we need, i think, is not more mods, but more moving and consolidating of threads. No point in having 1/3 rd of the new posts all be someones new review or whatever that 15 other people have just posted. Move them into the other review posts and give them a message.

That seems to me to be the main problem every time a new AAA ( supposedly) game comes out:) Not so much the few people that reporting could handle quite effectively.

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137

This always seems to happen on these forums when a new game is released or close to releasing.

But I have to agree with the OP,  this site has sorta lost it's luster. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Here is the problem with this so called negativity.MMRPG.com is imo the MAIN culprit.

I see a LOT of immature people take things personally and take offence to ANYTHING that they  don't agree with.How can one adult account for the possible readers immaturity level?I see a LOT of TROLL accusations been thrown around this site and NEVER moderated for doing it.

So which is it ,are people allowed to discuss topics here or not?Or is MMORPG.com encouraging immaturity by encouraging people to hit report  and call everyone a TROLL whenever they disagree?

Your staff memeber sare allowed to have their opinions "as should be" so why is there the grey area for users here?

I have actually noticed that since MMORPG.com started throwing around the trolling term,that is EXACTLY about the same time users here started throwing it around in just about EVERY single thread.So i feel MMORPG.com is the culprit,their moderators started throwing it around so now all the kids see it and they throw it around.Was there not a more MATURE way to handle it,than creating this FLAME war of  "your a troll" no "your a troll' ?

It is SIMPLE,you discuss the topic,if someone is not discussing the topic,then  you warn them.Why does MMORPG.com  NEED to create this GREY area like the term trolling contradicts the very definition of "discussion".Why is this site FEEDING the problem?Now i see mods telling everyone ,oh just go ahead and hit report whenever you feel like it.VERY sad and not the MATURE way to handle things.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Yep that is all it is ,people acting extremely immature becuase someone doesn't agree with them.

The problem i have is MATURITY.How is a poster suppose to account for the other readers immaturity level?ISome people you could tell them SWG is closing down and they get all bent out of shape.So i guess we need to be mind readers here now?Seriously how is one to know how thousands of readers are going to react?

SO the way this site has been run as of right now,it encourages people to just go around calling others TROLLS and constantly hit the report button.

Look at the STAFF members response ,they did not say use proper judgement.

Why do i NEVER need to hit the report button?Am i a little more mature and know there is FAR more important things in life to worry about than a gaming thread?Why is this site not enforcing that there is more important things in life,because there most certainly is?

I saw this all coming a few years ago ,when this site deemed it neccessary to start calling people trolls.Now MANY users are calling others trolls,it has got down right ridiculolus and nothing more than IMMATURE.This site is EQUALLY to blame as the users are.

Also it is VERY hypocritical to criticize the users posts here when we all know darn well there has been some indiscreet REVIEWS on certain games here.Is it ok to ouright lie but not ok to give your truthfull opinion anymore,without worrying about stepping on someones toes?Lets be Adults here,the site is every bit as guilty as the users,so nobody should be acting all high n mighty like they never do wrong.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Here is the problem with this so called negativity.MMRPG.com is imo the MAIN culprit.

I see a LOT of immature people take things personally and take offence to ANYTHING that they  don't agree with.How can one adult account for the possible readers immaturity level?I see a LOT of TROLL accusations been thrown around this site and NEVER moderated for doing it.

So which is it ,are people allowed to discuss topics here or not?Or is MMORPG.com encouraging immaturity by encouraging people to hit report  and call everyone a TROLL whenever they disagree?

Your staff memeber sare allowed to have their opinions "as should be" so why is there the grey area for users here?

I have actually noticed that since MMORPG.com started throwing around the trolling term,that is EXACTLY about the same time users here started throwing it around in just about EVERY single thread.So i feel MMORPG.com is the culprit,their moderators started throwing it around so now all the kids see it and they throw it around.Was there not a more MATURE way to handle it,than creating this FLAME war of  "your a troll" no "your a troll' ?

It is SIMPLE,you discuss the topic,if someone is not discussing the topic,then  you warn them.Why does MMORPG.com  NEED to create this GREY area like the term trolling contradicts the very definition of "discussion".Why is this site FEEDING the problem?Now i see mods telling everyone ,oh just go ahead and hit report whenever you feel like it.VERY sad and not the MATURE way to handle things.

We explicitly infract users for calling other users trolls. This is considered trolling itself. So the notion we ignore this stuff is false. The notion we may MISS some of this stuff is certainly possible, and that is precisely why we ask you guys to report posts or threads. Reporting a post does not mean any action will be taken against a user. It's just a way of flagging it so our moderators can look at it themselves.

We don't want users reporting anything they feel like, we want them reporting things they feel are in violation of our Rules of Conduct, instead of trying to take the matter into their own hands by retaliating against users for it or simply ignoring it.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

No Retreat No Surrender BABY!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I do not support censorship of unfavorable commentary when presented clearly and on-topic.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Originally posted by ActionMMORPG

I do not support censorship of unfavorable commentary when presented clearly and on-topic.

Good. Because neither do we. :)

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

agreed. people express themselves in a number of ways, and derailing isnt so cut and dried.

if i post a thread titled "SWTOR is great, isnt it?" would you consider it trolling or derailing to say is it not?

direct insults of any kind should be removed and the user warned or restricted.  absolute gibberish should be likewise treated. . in terms of bad language, im ok with anything provided it is not sexual in nature.  other than these, i think moderator action would be oppressive and damaging to the community.

• alancodealancode Member UncommonPosts: 163

What other MMORPG site should we go to, because I agree..it is just a bunch of flames, not even opinions or hey guys we all love games..just hate. 

(-_-)

Originally posted by Cruoris

if i post a thread titled "SWTOR is great, isnt it?" would you consider it trolling or derailing to say is it not?

No. As long as the user is not attacking anyone, responding in a negative manner to mock or bait the OP or another user, etc. Treat each other with respect even when you disagree and you won't run into any issues.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by Cruoris

agreed. people express themselves in a number of ways, and derailing isnt so cut and dried.

direct insults of any kind should be removed and the user warned or restricted.  absolute gibberish should be likewise treated. . in terms of bad language, im ok with anything provided it is not sexual in nature.  other than these, i think moderator action would be oppressive and damaging to the community.

The mods pretty much do this already.

Part of the problem is people don't really understand what trolling actually is. It's turned into the assumption that any negative criticism for XYZ game is considered trolling, while anything positive is considered truth or fact.

If more people actually red the mod rules, they'd realize that is not what trolling actually is. I do miss the days when this site was more about actual information, and discussion, rather than a plethora of 'my game vs. wow' and 'your game sucks' discussions.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

I hope I don't derail this, but I think the overwhelming responses by the Dev team to this thread kind of prove that they are doing as much as they can.

Oh, and it's nice to see you all post in the same thread. Hi! :)

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

As long its nothing personal i don't see where you can draw the line?

If people wanne comment on a game and its not your liking thats your problem then its still a free forum and expressing your opinion good or bad thats result of open forum.

I remember for years on end(thats why Darkfall have around200k post for small indie game here on mmorpg.com of all the trolls/haters and vaporware screamers)haters trolls and vaporware trolls came to Darkfall forum and keep saying game won't released or its crap. I also remember most of you did not care if Darkfall was bashed and hurt by this, even reviewers took the bait and hated Darkfall.

Now swtor have alot of haters and trolls, suddenly you guys want censorship or ban those trolls/haters SHAME ON YOU.

NUFF SAID.

P.S Im enjoying this forum alot lately we have some good times in genral forum discussing Skyrim and not much trouble there:)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i