Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cash Shop

LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

Will it be like Guild Wars 1, where it was purely cosmetic? Or are they adding things in like potions for faster xp, etc?

I hope not, as it'll be like a bog standard F2P game. They had a good formula with GW1, I hope they repeat it.

Comments

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

More like the former, not like the latter. This has been addressed in a lot of places by ANet devs, so I'm sure someone will link to the several times Colin Johannson has said so, or something else.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I think it will have only cosmetic items but you never know. To be honest, I always thought that people were more likely to buy cosmetic items/fluff compared to say an xp potion. In GW1 costumes were quite popular. I think all of my friends bought at least 2-3 of them. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

ArenaNet has stated numerous times that the GW1 shop is going to be the model for GW2, and they are going to use the same philosophy when decided what will be sold. They do not want to sell power or advantage...but it's definitely a very grey area and will be a process of feeling out what is acceptable for the community and for ANet.

They have said that they want community input on what would be acceptable, and that they are definitely still working out the details of what will be sold. We can only wait and hope they don't screw the pooch and alienate their players.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

In a game with a leveling curve that plateaus early, a side kicking system that goes up and down, content that is designed to be the just that and not leave that to end game, I can't see how xp potions would be of any use ?

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by EvilGeek

In a game with a leveling curve that plateaus early, a side kicking system that goes up and down, content that is designed to be the just that and not leave that to end game, I can't see how xp potions would be of any use ?

Don't forget that in E-sport PvP everybody is maxed out anyway, so no rushing to level just so you can PvP properly.

Actually, xp potions seem like one of the silliest things you could buy in a GW2 cash shop...

... so it wouldn't really make me feel sad if they had it in the shop, other than sad for the people who bought them.

Though honestly, my main problem with xp potions in shops has always been that the games give me the feeling that they're purposefully dragging things out to try and force me to buy xp potions to level at a reasonable rate. :/

Maybe if they just made it so you can only buy xp potions AFTER you've maxed out a character... for people who really have some favorite part of the game they want to rush to.  Specifically the dungeons, since that appears to be the only content of the game that's locked out based on minimum level.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

ArenaNet have outright said that they are not interested in crippling the game, to focre people to buy from the cash shop and that it would be very much like GW1. You can either believe them as being genuine or simply GTFO and wait for the game to have been released a couple months.

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

I used xp potions as an example guys.

Anyways, I'm pleased ANet are keeping their reputation intact :)

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

They're going to get a lot of my money with whatever it is they sell. LOL...no Pay to win items ftw

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

They're going to get a lot of my money with whatever it is they sell. LOL...no Pay to win items ftw

Very true. They'll make money from box sales, expansions and, I for one will definitely buy some costumes like I did in GW1, as did millions of others.

• UzlebUzleb Member Posts: 162

Extras I have purchased from GW1 cashshop

character slots (3 extra @ 9.99 a pop)

inventory extras (all available)

costumes (2 diffrent sets)

story book added content (wasn't happy with it and Anet didn't revisit it)

I would do it all again

.......the things I wouldn't buy and I think Arenanet feels this.

are the things not on this list.

If it's not on this list , GW1 or Gw2  I'm not buying it.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Originally posted by Lashley

Will it be like Guild Wars 1, where it was purely cosmetic? Or are they adding things in like potions for faster xp, etc?

I hope not, as it'll be like a bog standard F2P game. They had a good formula with GW1, I hope they repeat it.

They did say they would be selling Dungeons also ...

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by Scorchien

No, actually. They didn't...

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

They said they might consider selling dungeons if they was demand for it. Personally I don't mind instanced PvE content being sold in the cash shop, as long as that's the only content being sold (ie I'd hate it if persistent zones or PvP maps were being sold).

Originally posted by Diovidius

They said they might consider selling dungeons if they was demand for it. Personally I don't mind instanced PvE content being sold in the cash shop, as long as that's the only content being sold (ie I'd hate it if persistent zones or PvP maps were being sold).

I hope they don't. If they do, I at least hope it's cheap or like a one off thing.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Diovidius

I have absolutely no problem with them selling playable content in their shop.

I prefer that to anything else TBH- At least I get to play the game that way... I don't get any enjoyment personally out of buying new hats.

Originally posted by romanator0

Yes , Actually they did.....

http://forums.tentonhammer.com/showthread.php?t=54282

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

No, they did not.

In short: We have not made a decision on whether to sell dungeon content as DLC, contrary to what the article states. The author of the article jumped to this (incorrect) conclusion based upon his interpretation of Eric's statements.

Like Eric said in the article and in his statement above, we will look at what the demand is from the players.

BOOYAKA!

Originally posted by cyress8

No, they did not.

In short: We have not made a decision on whether to sell dungeon content as DLC, contrary to what the article states. The author of the article jumped to this (incorrect) conclusion based upon his interpretation of Eric's statements.

Like Eric said in the article and in his statement above, we will look at what the demand is from the players.

We asked Flannum point blank if they would be releasing more dungeons post-launch that would be purchased as microtransaction purchases. Flannum confirmed to us that they’re definitely open to the idea–and more. “Yeah, we’re going to look at what the demand is. Look at what players want more of and we’re going have to release that stuff because that’s the stuff that players are going to be willing to pay for and that’s the stuff that’s going to make our company profitable.”

ohh thats a yes.............. guaranteed .. they just dont want to say yes 100% right now as it may influence box sales..

Pretty sure you will se Dungeons in the cash shop after 1 month..

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

No, they did not.

We asked Flannum point blank if they would be releasing more dungeons post-launch that would be purchased as microtransaction purchases. Flannum confirmed to us that they’re definitely open to the idea–and more. “Yeah, we’re going to look at what the demand is. Look at what players want more of and we’re going have to release that stuff because that’s the stuff that players are going to be willing to pay for and that’s the stuff that’s going to make our company profitable.”

ohh thats a yes.............. guaranteed .. they just dont want to say yes 100% right now as it may influence box sales..

Stop speculating about the meaning of another man's words.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

This is like 10th topic about cash shop... pls stop, it's been discussed to death! This is now pure spam.

Originally posted by Alot

No, they did not.

lol 90% of this site is speculation , 5% BS and 5% fact ... we could review your posts if you want... and i guarntee again we find speculation on your partt... dont be a hypocrite

No, they did not.

lol 90% of this site is speculation , 5% BS and 5% fact ... we could review your posts if you want... and i guarntee again we find speculation on your partt... dont be a hypocrite

You should also stop posting like you know it is a fact. He said they were open to the idea not that it is "guaranteed".

BOOYAKA!

No, they did not.

You should also stop posting like you know it is a fact. He said they were open to the idea not that it is "guaranteed".

I said ... "I guarnteed" not the writer ... did you read my post... ..............and i stand by that prediction .. we can revist at a later date :)

No, they did not.

I said ... "I guarnteed" not the writer ... did you read my post... ..............and i stand by that prediction .. we can revist at a later date :)

My bad

BOOYAKA!

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

Guys, please don't just quote over and over. It's annoying to others who then have to scroll forever for a one-line post.

If quoting someone, quote the last post or two, but try not to make quotes too long.

Thanks.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]