Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Watch and see: Expansion packs like crazy

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Yes, Just watch and see.

Guild Wars is taking so long because they are making all the expansion packs at once.

This is not Guild Wars 1. This is not ArenaNet's first mmo.  They no longer have to portray a name for themselves.  This in now 2011 and businesses are more into making profits than ever.

It's only my Opinion, but I'm often right......The Original Guild Wars 2 will be short, more so for the hardcore fast levelers.  You will find the next paid expansion in the stores within two weeks, then the third and the forth soon after.  You will not save anything.  After a year you will be scratching your head thinking  " I just paid the same amount as if I paid for an mmo and all its monthly fees ".

My Grandma used to say :

Nothing is free !

If it looks to good, it probably is not !

Comments

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

This wasn't the case with GW1, and I doubt it will be with GW2, but sure they're bound to make expansions as they need to make money.

• mrxennonmrxennon Member Posts: 209

Originally posted by page

Yes, Just watch and see.

Guild Wars is taking so long because they are making all the expansion packs at once.

This is not Guild Wars 1. This is not ArenaNet's first mmo.  They no longer have to portray a name for themselves.  This in now 2011 and businesses are more into making profits than ever.

It's only my Opinion, but I'm often right......The Original Guild Wars 2 will be short, more so for the hardcore fast levelers.  You will find the next paid expansion in the stores within two weeks, then the third and the forth soon after.  You will not save anything.  After a year you will be scratching your head thinking  " I just paid the same amount as if I paid for an mmo and all its monthly fees ".

My Grandma used to say :

Nothing is free !

You are right about 1 thing, Guild Wars 2 is not Guild Wars 1, I applaud you for getting something right many other people are getting wrong.

Unfortunately thats the only thing you got right.  Anet has never produced another MMO so this is their first.  Everything else you have said is speculation of your own opinions.  The thing is people have a choice to buy expansions at their own pace not your pace, I play MMO's for me not you.  And after a year and I find that i've spent more than I would with a subscription model then thats fine, as long as I have enjoyed playing the game, and if people are spending money on fluff or expansions whether they are dungeons or new areas then that means people are enjoying the game.

Your attempt to sway people from playing Guild Wars 2 for what reasons you have has fallen at the starting post.

Edit:  I think you and many others fail to realise is that the Anet team are genuine bunch of guys trying to make a game that they believe is the best, and their is nothing wrong with that, yes it will have faults and i'm sure the Anet team will iron out any faults players pull up.  People like you do nothing to sway my opinion or other peoples opinion, you make judgements out of thin air with no solid evidence to back up your theories and criticisms.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

As a fan of subs....I could care less, and if I get a ton of content, I will be happy...So thanks for the good news!

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I like expansions, so I hope they have a lot, as long as the provide good content.  A new expansion to buy in two weeks....silly.  Thus far, all I have to analyze with is GW1.  Given this short track record with the GW franchise is small, its hard to predict the behavior for GW2. However, since all I have to compare it to is GW1, it seems unlikely that you are correct.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Before listening to this troll it's fairly easy to see how often ANet released expansions for the original Guild Wars and use that information to get an idea of how often we'll receive and exapnsion for Guild Wars 2. But seriously, who in their right mind would believe thatfull boxed expansions would be released every couple of weeks. Heck, not even DLC packs get released that frequently (unless it's day one DLC).

The following is from their "About Us" page on their Website, I think their commitment to the franchise shows how passionate they are and how much they believe in what they do, not just for their product but also the player base. You really couldnt ask for more from a company.

===============================================================================================

Located in Bellevue, Washington, ArenaNet is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Korea-based NCsoft Corporation. The studio was formed in the spring of 2000 with the goal of creating a state-of-the-art interactive game network, and of developing premier multiplayer, online games. Having built such a network, ArenaNet continues to improve upon it, keeping stride with current technology and offering new and innovative approaches, such as a subscription-free business model, instanced missions, and streaming updates, which eliminate the need for patching.

ArenaNet's diverse staff has come together from many different countries and cultures. The team members speak a variety of languages, which—with the common bond of a love for games—helps them understand the needs of the global gaming community, and allows them to listen and respond to feedback from fans around the world. In keeping with the spirit of bringing people together, ArenaNet designs and operates servers that allow gamers to play with anyone, anytime, anywhere in the world.

In addition to designing the game and logging hundreds of hours each in the three Guild Wars campaigns and the recent expansion, staff members read fan forums and observe PvP matches on a daily basis. They also attend various live gaming events and hold tournaments for both the novice player and the top-ranked competitive guilds. The decisions charting the course for Guild Wars are not arbitrary choices made by an isolated marketing department; rather, the entire gaming community, including players and developers alike, has a voice in the future of Guild Wars.

Currently, ArenaNet is busy developing Guild Wars 2 while continuing to support Guild Wars with additional content such as holiday events, community contests, monthly championships, and merchandise. The entire team is excited about Guild Wars 2 and thinks players will be, too.

===============================================================================================

Of topic there is another patch for SW Beta

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Yes, Just watch and see.

My Grandma used to say :

Nothing is free !

Yet another comes and tells stories about this shit... This has been discussed too many times...

GW2 doesn't need hard core levelers (proof you didn't even bother to investigate the game more than just a few youtube videos) because GW2 has straight leveling curve, so it means it doesn't take you more time or xp for 29-30 lvl than it took you to get lvl 9-10... 

In all this years of GW1 it had only 4 expansions (how many did WoW have?) and few bonus mission packs which was bought by few portion of people because most of them never managed to finish the original quests properly...

Why do you think it'll be short? Do all the bosses they've showed us, all the DE they talked about and the whole map which they told us about is just what it has to offer? You know that GW2 world map is bigger than GW1 maps, and GW1 maps are HUGE!... 

No I won't be scrathing my head after a year because no 1 forces me to pay for the expansions, even tho chances of something like what you've described happening are close to none. I think you've seen or played too many games, which were created as subscription games, switch to "free to play" and been dissapointed because they wanted to milk out every penny out of you. Well news flash, you can't simply turn a game which was created to be pay to play in a free to play game just like that, it's mostly because they didn't thought of any other income possibilities rather than subscription and it's not that easy to change it so they really offer you access to the game but when the real fun starts, you gotta pay more than you'd ever have to pay with a sub... Another news flash, GW2 is created as a FREE TO PLAY game, they are doing the game with this in mind, so they have some other sources of income in their minds rather than just milking everyone out for their money on every step of the game. GW1 was designed to be free to play and I didn't EVER have to pay for a single thing in the game because i HAD EVERYTHING, there wasn't any armor in cash shop you could buy to simply avoid getting it trough playing, you couldn't buy golds trough the cash shop, you can't even buy anything other than cool looking festive styles for armor (it's only style and it just puts a cool look on armor which you already have), you could buy 3 bonus mission packs if you wanted to find out the story behind every important hero from the expansion (in details, you find out most of it trough the original expansion story and it took me a hell of a lot to finish it) you can buy additional character slot (you have 8 char slots I think when you start), you can buy transformation to turn 1 of your characters into your henchmen to help you along the way (which is used only in PvE part of the game ofc... but doesn't really make a difference since you can tune up every hero you obtained trough the game as you like it and give him spells that you want), and you can buy skill unlock and weapon unlock only for character which is PVP only (PVP only character - you can only play PvP with him on main battlegrounds and this skills and weapons can not be used with any other pve created character, this pvp char starts with lvl 20 and has all the skills you previously unlocked with your pve character or with this unlocker you bought, this is mainly for people who don't want to play PvE but do wnat to enjoy the PvP part of the game... So yeah, your assumptions really don't have no steady ground to walk on. 

But the expansions will most defenetly be present, probably in the way they were in GW1... almost every year or 2, new expansion? 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Guild Wars 2, the soon to be best game.........................................of 2014 when it's actually released instead of preview upon preview.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

This in now 2011 and businesses are more into making profits than ever.

Oh yeah, I remember the good old days when businesses didn't care about profits.

...?

Good times, good times.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

2 weeks of course is absurd: an expansion also has a hype function, to be used in marketing efforts and to keep the player base excited; in that sense 3 month would be a minimum I suppose.

The earlier the first expansion gets released, the more disappointing the game has been.

Originally posted by korent1991

Yes, Just watch and see.

My Grandma used to say :

Nothing is free !

Yet another comes and tells stories about this shit... This has been discussed too many times...

GW2 doesn't need hard core levelers (proof you didn't even bother to investigate the game more than just a few youtube videos) because GW2 has straight leveling curve, so it means it doesn't take you more time or xp for 29-30 lvl than it took you to get lvl 9-10... 

In all this years of GW1 it had only 4 expansions (how many did WoW have?) and few bonus mission packs which was bought by few portion of people because most of them never managed to finish the original quests properly...

Why do you think it'll be short? Do all the bosses they've showed us, all the DE they talked about and the whole map which they told us about is just what it has to offer? You know that GW2 world map is bigger than GW1 maps, and GW1 maps are HUGE!... 

No I won't be scrathing my head after a year because no 1 forces me to pay for the expansions, even tho chances of something like what you've described happening are close to none. I think you've seen or played too many games, which were created as subscription games, switch to "free to play" and been dissapointed because they wanted to milk out every penny out of you. 

Well news flash, you can't simply turn a game which was created to be pay to play in a free to play game just like that, it's mostly because they didn't thought of any other income possibilities rather than subscription and it's not that easy to change it so they really offer you access to the game but when the real fun starts, you gotta pay more than you'd ever have to pay with a sub... Another news flash, GW2 is created as a FREE TO PLAY game, they are doing the game with this in mind, so they have some other sources of income in their minds rather than just milking everyone out for their money on every step of the game.

GW1 was designed to be free to play and I didn't EVER have to pay for a single thing in the game because i HAD EVERYTHING, there wasn't any armor in cash shop you could buy to simply avoid getting it trough playing, you couldn't buy golds trough the cash shop, you can't even buy anything other than cool looking festive styles for armor (it's only style and it just puts a cool look on armor which you already have), you could buy 3 bonus mission packs if you wanted to find out the story behind every important hero from the expansion.(in details, you find out most of it trough the original expansion story and it took me a hell of a lot to finish it) you can buy additional character slot (you have 8 char slots I think when you start), you can buy transformation to turn 1 of your characters into your henchmen to help you along the way (which is used only in PvE part of the game ofc... but doesn't really make a difference since you can tune up every hero you obtained trough the game as you like it and give him spells that you want).

You can buy skill unlock and weapon unlock only for character which is PVP only (PVP only character - you can only play PvP with him on main battlegrounds and this skills and weapons can not be used with any other pve created character, this pvp char starts with lvl 20 and has all the skills you previously unlocked with your pve character or with this unlocker you bought, this is mainly for people who don't want to play PvE but do wnat to enjoy the PvP part of the game... So yeah, your assumptions really don't have no steady ground to walk on. 

But the expansions will most defenetly be present, probably in the way they were in GW1... almost every year or 2, new expansion? 

Fixed, easier to read now.

Originally posted by Fozzik

Oh yeah, I remember the good old days when businesses didn't care about profits.

...?

Good times, good times.

I creased up and laughed hard.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

...?

Good times, good times.

lol

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by DarkPony

The earlier the first expansion gets released, the more disappointing the game has been.

Or more stuff that simply didn't make it into the original game, as was already hinted at with some kind of a mount system and proper housing mentioned at various Q&As. I assume ANet is going to be putting things into expansion(s) rather then into huge free patches, given the nature of the B2P model.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

i'd give it 6 months to a year before first xpac is released. as someone said earlier its all about the hype. If the game is a flop which i doubt it would be then they may roll out an xpac sooner trying to boost profits but i don't think this will be the case.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

The positive thing about guild wars 2 is that i can play it anytime i want without having to cough up 15 bucks a month everytime i get an itch. i have so many mmo games collecting dust that i cannot play unless i subscribe.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

GW2 will probably have a lot of expansions, yes. I assume a new one every 6-12 months.

But that ain't the same thing as monthly fees, if you can't afford the monthly fee a month you can't play at all, if you can't afford the expansion a month you can play the rest of the game and prepare your characters for the new expansion. Also, people leveling slow don't need to buy the expansions until they actually need to get there.

As for the original GW2 being short, it seems pretty massive to me. 5 starting cities from release beats any MMO I can think of from start except maybe TOR and the world size is larger than GW1 including all content.

So if you consider it small it is because you compare it with Everquest and Vanguard, those game are gigantic. Compared to Vanilla Wow on the other hand it is huge.

ANET still need income and aren't giving away everything for free, but to cost as much as Wow or Rift it would have to release a $45 expansion every third month and I don't see that happening, it just isn't possible (even though I wouldn't mind myself if they were large enough and had high quality).

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

And you know the best part?

You don't have to buy them to play the game.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• rdashrdash Member Posts: 121

Originally posted by Loke666

But that ain't the same thing as monthly fees, if you can't afford the monthly fee a month you can't play at all, if you can't afford the expansion a month you can play the rest of the game and prepare your characters for the new expansion. Also, people leveling slow don't need to buy the expansions until they actually need to get there.

Additionally, expansions are guaranteed content. In subscription game, you may get some content patches every few months or so, but I haven't seen single MMO releasing 15$ worth of content a month (subjective, obviously).

Also, if you don't like the expansion, you don't have to buy it. It's much more customer friendly, because it leaves decision in your hands, instead of deciding for you what content you want to pay for.

So, even if expansion model costed as much as subscription game (+expansions), I'm positive that it would provide more content suited towards individual expectations of player.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Yes, Just watch and see.

My Grandma used to say :

Nothing is free !

I certainly hope so. It would definitely be better than paying 15$/month to get... nothing.

And besides, with 1500+DEs, WvW and I don't know how many PvP arenas and dungeons with 4 modes each I really don't see how I can get bored with the game so fast it wouldn't be worth the initial price.

As for power-levelers.. if that's what mmos are for some people, get to max level fast and say you've "beaten the game" then more power to them and good-riddance as well. ANet already stated that it'll take 2 hrs on average to advance a level and with 80 levels thats 160 hrs of playtime. Not too shabby even for the ding addict crowd.

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

I absolutely love how GW2 fans think all the "guys" at Anet (referring to them as their old shool buddies lmao) are so passionate, and unique. All they care about is making the most awesome game ever created.. 

Look ma, those guys at Anet are my friends.. They aren't even charging a monthy sub cause they are real gamers like me, and they dont want to turn a profit as long as the game is awesomesauce in my face!!

Pa sighs deeply.  Look how far they've come with marketing ploys.. Back in my day bright colors and a friendly mascot were all a company needed to sell products.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

...?

Good times, good times.

Who needs profits? 100% of Arenanet is staffed volunteers. 

Thats why its taking so long!  Don't you get it people! There is not a lot of time between working a corporate gig 9-5 and delivering pizzas 6 nights a week.

• semantikronsemantikron Member Posts: 258

...?

Good times, good times.

Like back when WoW only charged a sub to keep the servers running...   yeah I remember those days.

Charr: Outta my way.
    Human: What's your problem?
    Charr: Your thin skin.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Originally posted by quentin405

I absolutely love how GW2 fans think all the "guys" at Anet (referring to them as their old shool buddies lmao) are so passionate, and unique. All they care about is making the most awesome game ever created.. 

Look ma, those guys at Anet are my friends.. They aren't even charging a monthy sub cause they are real gamers like me, and they dont want to turn a profit as long as the game is awesomesauce in my face!!

Pa sighs deeply.  Look how far they've come with marketing ploys.. Back in my day bright colors and a friendly mascot were all a company needed to sell products.

Why is it frowned upon to have anything positive to say in response to unsubstantiated claims?

"You're not allowed to like that game because you might be dissapppointed." <--there you go. I just edited your post down into one sentence.

You say Marketing Ploy I say Track Record