Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Level lowering for low level areas

KingzainiKingzaini Member Posts: 39

From what I've come to understand is that when you walk into areas with low level mobs you become scaled down to the same level as them. So does this mean you can't walk around a low level area just one hitting mobs just for the hell of it. Or is it that you will be level sync only for events?

Comments

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

You will be lowered down to a level that keeps you stronger than players at that level but not strong enough to grief or one hit mobs.

• KingzainiKingzaini Member Posts: 39

So to be at your normal power in pve you just stick with your level contant. But  I do like the fact that they added that system. Now you can always have a real fight no matter where you go. BTW I was just wondering does the sidekick system how both was? Such that a low level is boosted to a higher players or friends level and vice versa.

Yes you can be side kicked up by a friend, obviously there will be limitations, you won't be as strong as your friend but you will be able to be effective in higher level areas.

Thats good to hear I would like my lower friends to be able to play with me and the same for the higher. I was a long time FFXI player and we had level sync. It was a nice way to play with low level players but it only worked one way so I could bring a lot of my friends with me to anything end game and such.

• HiromantHiromant Member UncommonPosts: 99

The level scaling effectively makes levels meaningless, they should have been done away with altogether.

It's a great way to go about things and begs the question why don't other games do it? It stops any content from being redundant and is a great social tool, you'll always be able to play with friends.

You can also be side kicked up in the WvWvW PVP if you wish.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by s4nder

The level scaling effectively makes levels meaningless, they should have been done away with altogether.

That is a valid concern.

Well leveling is a sense of a achievement  also allows you to have new skills and gear.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Kingzaini

Well leveling is a sense of a achievement  also allows you to have new skills and gear.

New skills (not necessarily), new gear (yeah). But I do agree with you that levelling provides players with a goal to attain (e.g. reaching level 30 so you can do your 1st dungeon) and that sense of achievement. Like in GW2, I will enjoy gradually acquiring attribute points as I level, to customize my character to match my playstyle.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

Anet has considered it but they feared it would alienate a lot of people who enjoy the sense of progression in traditional mmo's, especially since there are other area's which are already quite different from the way it's done in traditional mmo's (events, lack of trinity, actiony combat etc).

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

As folks already mentioned, ANet originally seriously considered making the game level-less (which I would personally love) but decided to stick with at least this familiar mechanic. New players weaned on WoW/Aoc/WAR/Rift whatever will be bewildered enough when they realize there are no quests... Dinging gives them a nice comforting something they can rely on to know that they're playing the game right.

And besides, scaling won't make levels completely meaningless. I believe the quote was something along the lines of: "players will be scaled to the top of the level range for that area/event so while they can stll find the content challenging they won't be able to one-shot everything." which is cool imo. If I go to a lower level area to help out the scabs I'd like to be a bit more powerful but not so much that I just lay waste to world bosses while I'm flipping through mmorpg.com in another window.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

There's one strange thing though. Let's say you are level 10 and you have lv 10 sword equiped. You go to high lvl area (45 for example) with your friends, you will be sidekicked to lv 40 or more. But, what about your weapon? Do oyu still have that newbie lv 10 sword or its power is also sidekicked? Same question for gear.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

ANet's philosophy is to make all content end game content. Which means nothing changes when you hit max level. There is some sort of level progression, but it's only there to give those players who like to achieve level 60,  80, 100 or whatever that feeling. It's the same concept that gw1 followed, once you've reached level 20 in the tutorial, the whole game unlocks before you. Side kicking does the trick of not alienating the old player base and uniting them with new players coming from other games.

In GW1 your weapons and armor already scale up to some level to fit the challenge, so I don't think gear, trait or attributes will pose a problem in the side-kicking system you find in GW2.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Their importance is minimized, but they're not meaningless.

You automatically get scaled down in power when you do a lower level event (replay content, group with friends, no griefing by 1-shotting), but you don't automatically get scaled up in power if you go higher.  This gives you some control over how difficult you want the content to be, as well as giving a sense of progression through the world.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

The primary purpose for 'down-leveling' a high-level player is so they can't trivialize dynamic content or grief lower level players by one-shotting the final boss of thier zone.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Originally posted by Kingzaini

From what I've come to understand is that when you walk into areas with low level mobs you become scaled down to the same level as them. So does this mean you can't walk around a low level area just one hitting mobs just for the hell of it. Or is it that you will be level sync only for events?

Its there for 2 main reasons...

To give you a chance to pick up on low level content you missed without removing all the challenge from it.

To prevent higher level characters from ruinging Dynamic events for the lower level players.

What you want is really not an option at all for this game.

End of discussion.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)