Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The debranding of Tera

free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

SW-TOR "Look, its an Ewok!"

Tera "Look its a pedo-bear"

---

FF14 "Look, its a Lallafel"

Tera "Look its a preteen slut"

---

AoC" They have bewbies, this is hot and cool"

Tera "They have girls in bikinis, thats for nerds and pervs"

--

By the time Tera gets to North America it wont be Tera because it will have been debranded and the reason will be enmass let them. If this game did well in Japan and Korea, it will do well here and for the very same reasons. Racist bullshit about how eastern gamers have this otherworldy perspective on games is an old and unfounded stereotype enforced by stigma and misinformation, Just like everyone hates WoW and yet everyone plays it.

They are debranding Tera because its a threat. It's a cronyism and your going to lose if you don't hold your brand, EME, save your redevelopment money for a small squad of Lawyers and sell YOUR game, not some watered down version.

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Except its not doing well in the East.

Edit: Also, tera is only a threat to Aion in my opinion.

Those steryotypes are generally believed to be true because thats the style seen in many eastern games.

If you live in a trailer, your likely called trailer trash because many people who live in trailers are trashy.

Thats how sterotypes are formed.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by marinrider

Those steryotypes are generally believed to be true because thats the style seen in many eastern games.
    If you live in a trailer, your likely called trailer trash because many people who live in trailers are trashy.

Zing!

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

260K down to 110K for South Korea. A population slightly larger than Canada. (48 mill) Sounds like they did pretty good to me.

Edit for stats

Originally posted by free2play

260K down to 110K for North Korea. A population slightly less than Canada. Sounds like they did pretty good to me.

Except Canada has 35,000,000 residents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_of_Canada_by_year

Originally posted by spankybus

Zing!

You are correct, there is a foundation to racism. Racists think they are better than everyone else and they tend to be the loudest. Back to the debranding of Tera, no mentions so far of that.

260K down to 110K for North Korea. A population slightly less than Canada. Sounds like they did pretty good to me.

Except Canada has 35,000,000 residents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_of_Canada_by_year

Yes, I know. I live here. Its actually a South Korean game though and they have a pop of 48 million, slightly higher than Canada.

{mod edit}

Yes, I know. I live here. Its actually a South Korean game though and they have a pop of 48 million, slightly higher than Canada.

Keep the trolls and derailments coming.

{mod edit}.  You said if its successful in the east then it will be successful in the west (which isnt true in itself, Looking at you Aion).  So I said but even Tera isnt doing well in the East, and its an obviously an eastern game so I dont think it will do that well in the west.  

Like I said, no one consideres Tera a threat to their game.  

{mod edit}

Originally posted by Robokapp

Originally posted by spankybus

Zing!

You are correct, there is a foundation to racism. Racists think they are better than everyone else and they tend to be the loudest. Back to the debranding of Tera, no mentions so far of that.

no. that's elitism not racism.

racists think other races are inferior.

thinking about yourself in a way or another is not racism. its elitism or narcissim if anything.

It still doesn't change the fact that people aren't trying to censor the content but the brand as shown with the examples but on with your side care bob debate,

Show me racism that doesnt involve elitism and I might see what your point is.

It still doesn't change the fact that people aren't trying to censor the content but the brand as shown with the examples but on with your side care bob debate,

People are trying to censor that race though.

And there are forms of racism because your scared of the other race.  Like a lot of whites around the civil war feared releasing the Blacks because they thought they would steal their jobs and their women.  Thats a form of racism without elitism. 

And people can hate and be racist on people from the middle east because they blindly think they are all terrorists.  Or people can be racist towards people in IT jobs in India because they "stole" those jobs from the US work force.

Racism without elitism.

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

TERA will not do well in the west anyway. It will pick up a certain amount of interested people on release who will drop off after a month and then dwindle on a small base of the decidated fans. It's taking Korea 6+ more months just to get enough content for it to be released in the west. How long will it take to get more content after that? It takes less then 2 weeks to max level in TERA.

Basically in the end, who cares how people think of the game now? After a month into release most people wont be thinking about it at all.

Originally posted by Otakun

TERA will not do well in the west anyway. It will pick up a certain amount of interested people on release who will drop off after a month and then dwindle on a small base of the decidated fans. It's taking Korea 6+ more months just to get enough content for it to be released in the west. How long will it take to get more content after that? It takes less then 2 weeks to max level in TERA.

Basically in the end, who cares how people think of the game now? After a month into release most people wont be thinking about it at all.

I don't agree. It's hard to say how well it will do but this game is a classic example of what we call 'anime gaming' and while it had roots in eastern cultures I don't think it won't be popular in western markets but through defamation, the anime gaming is being ripped out of it.

Look at any of the dozen wall adverts on this site. They all use anime style adverts to sell western games and yet when someone like EME tries to put an Anime game in the western markets it gets hauled through the mud. These Anime wall murals work for a reason, if they didn't Advertisement wouldn't use them.

• Nefari0usNefari0us Member Posts: 36

And there are forms of racism because your scared of the other race.  Like a lot of whites around the civil war feared releasing the Blacks because they thought they would steal their jobs and their women.  Thats a form of racism without elitism. 

And people can hate and be racist on people from the middle east because they blindly think they are all terrorists.  Or people can be racist towards people in IT jobs in India because they "stole" those jobs from the US work force.

Racism without elitism.

Becase "we" deserve the jobs more than them... it still comes back to elitism.  Nice try though, trying to justify racism. 

Not happy with the current state of MMORPG's? Think you can do better? What would you do different?

Originally posted by Nefari0us

Racism without elitism.

Becase "we" deserve the jobs more than them... it still comes back to elitism.  Nice try though, trying to justify racism. 

Not fully.  That just depends on the person.  If I work in IT and I  know that that person can do my job better for less pay, then I know I'm not better but I'm still mad that he took my job.  I'm not trying to justify racism at all.  No where did I ever say racism was okay.  I'm just trying to say that not all cases of racism boil down to elitism.

I'm personally not racist.  I personally dont think that americans deserve some jobs we give away because we take them for granted.  

Originally posted by Otakun

I don't agree. It's hard to say how well it will do but this game is a classic example of what we call 'anime gaming' and while it had roots in eastern cultures I don't think it won't be popular in western markets but through defamation, the anime gaming is being ripped out of it.

Look at any of the dozen wall adverts on this site. They all use anime style adverts to sell western games and yet when someone like EME tries to put an Anime game in the western markets it gets hauled through the mud. These Anime wall murals work for a reason, if they didn't Advertisement wouldn't use them.

What an interesting way to think. So you think that anime adverts for F2Ps will work in the same way for a Korean P2P which has all sorts of issues beyond that it being Korean and has nothing to do with the fact of advertisement as more like it's general lack of content and vision beyond that of a newer style combat system that allows for one shotting in PVP?

Don't see how they fit whatsoever. Advertisements, especially ones being paid to have like here on MMORPG.com, don't make a game. Gameplay is what makes a game and TERA is just your same old generic Korean MMO with a slightly updated combat system. Once people know this for fact it wont matter how many adverts the game has cause it aint worth box price + sub fee.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

How am I trolling or derailing.  You said if its successful in the east then it will be successful in the west (which isnt true in itself, Looking at you Aion).  So I said but even Tera isnt doing well in the East, and its an obviously an eastern game so I dont think it will do that well in the west.  

How am I derailing again?

its an inconvenient fact... if the game was doing well in the East then that would give the 'rascist' card some credence, but it isnt, which makes that argument equaly invalid, perhaps the game will improve enough in the future, but.. by then, interest will already be elsewhere, sadly for those who do like Tera perhaps, but, by the looks of things, MMO gaming on the Eastern market alone is very competitive, it would be easy to blame the games lack of success on removing features that some find offensive, but wouldnt it be truer to say that because of the games lack of success, these issues were addressed to attempt to make the game more appealing to a 'wider' market? image

Originally posted by Phry

How am I trolling or derailing.  You said if its successful in the east then it will be successful in the west (which isnt true in itself, Looking at you Aion).  So I said but even Tera isnt doing well in the East, and its an obviously an eastern game so I dont think it will do that well in the west.  

its an inconvenient fact... if the game was doing well in the East then that would give the 'rascist' card some credence, but it isnt, which makes that argument equaly invalid, perhaps the game will improve enough in the future, but.. by then, interest will already be elsewhere, sadly for those who do like Tera perhaps, but, by the looks of things, MMO gaming on the Eastern market alone is very competitive, it would be easy to blame the games lack of success on removing features that some find offensive, but wouldnt it be truer to say that because of the games lack of success, these issues were addressed to attempt to make the game more appealing to a 'wider' market? image

You pretty much sum up my point about it not being a threat.  The game itself plus the circumstances just dont lend it self to Teras aid.

Originally posted by Phry

260K in a country of 48 mill works out purley from a percentage to around  6 million subs from EU and NA. The trouble with MMOs and this one particular, they wont be bringing new subs to the MMO pool so if they get even 2 million subs from NA and EU they will be stolen subs. The fact that the game was attacked for its Anime elements when compareable elements are in many other games that never got attacked says this is a debranding attempt.

The debranding of Anime gaming from Tera has yet to be mentioned by any of the replies, hence derailment and trolling? Lots of jimmy, jerry, cherry picking but nobody has touched the OP aspect or title of the thread.

260K in a country of 48 mill works out purley from a percentage to around  6 million subs from EU and NA. The trouble with MMOs and this one particular, they wont be bringing new subs to the MMO pool so if they get even 2 million subs from NA and EU they will be stolen subs. The fact that the game was attacked for its Anime elements when compareable elements are in many other games that never got attacked says this is a debranding attempt.

The debranding of Anime gaming from Tera has yet to be mentioned by any of the replies, hence derailment and trolling? Lots of jimmy, jerry, cherry picking but nobody has touched the OP aspect or title of the thread.

How has anyone debranded Anime other than the 12 year old girls with miniskirts?  I remember people equally "debranded" aion for its absurd weapons.  Can you show me how people have debranded or attacked the anime or art style of this game?  I've actually seen a lot of posts that say the game looks good but the rest is just traditional korean game design.

Also, many American's like PB&J.  So, lets assume 25% of America likes PB&J.  That means 75,000,000 in the US like it.  By those numbers there should be 182,000,000 in europe that like it and 334,000,000 in China.  But hey, guess what? PB&J is really only popular in the USA and maybe parts of Europe.  But by your logic we should all those people liking it.

Just because something is popular in one country doesnt mean the same thing will apply to a different country, much less a different culture.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

IMO Tera will do just ok in the west.

SWTOR looks to be another western wow clone with a 2 month life span. (maybe im a bit harsh, but after 7 years of pure crap from the west i don't have much hope)

GW2 will be the most successful mmo of 2012 in the west,but i think that all the people who love open world pvp, politics, and  eastern art style have a higher chance of playing Tera instead of GW2 due to their (niche) preferences.

Tera will fight with Archeage for the same players, ex Lineage 2 players and of course, your share of themepark players who will buy every new themepark made just for some months of fun.

Again IMO Tera only has to worry about having their political system and Guild PVP ready for the western launch, sandbox elements always help retention rates (nobody wants to play another wow endgame, it's boring).

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

How has anyone debranded Anime other than the 12 year old girls with miniskirts?  I remember people equally "debranded" aion for its absurd weapons.  Can you show me how people have debranded or attacked the anime or art style of this game?  I've actually seen a lot of posts that say the game looks good but the rest is just traditional korean game design.

Also, many American's like PB&J.  So, lets assume 25% of America likes PB&J.  That means 75,000,000 in the US like it.  By those numbers there should be 182,000,000 in europe that like it and 334,000,000 in China.  But hey, guess what? PB&J is really only popular in the USA and maybe parts of Europe.  But by your logic we should all those people liking it.

Just because something is popular in one country doesnt mean the same thing will apply to a different country, much less a different culture.

^

Last I checked the only thing people were having issues with were the "over-sexualized" little girl race. No other part of the game is being "censored" (people bitch about the armor of both men and women in that game but no more than any other game with revealing armor). Claiming that the sole reason for your argument of debranding is over-sensationalizing the issue and if anything detracts from all the other parts of the game, all of which are very "anime", that people are perfectly fine with if not flat out love.

That's like saying the whole purpose of TERA is the loli race and without their naked ass in the camera, the game is worthless. It's a ridiculous notion.

EDIT - By the way, I think TERA will do just fine here. It's failing in the West, iirc, because it lacks the grind those gamers have come to expect from gaming. They ate all the content too quickly and the developers are having trouble keeping up with the desire for more things to do. We have hardcore gamers here that will do the same, true, but overall we're a LOT more casual-friendly here and so a game with a low leveling curve would still do fine, I think. It's also got the more action-oriented gameplay which the West has had for a while, but is still fairly new and exciting for us.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

^

Last I checked the only thing people were having issues with were the "over-sexualized" little girl race. No other part of the game is being "censored" (people bitch about the armor of both men and women in that game but no more than any other game with revealing armor). Claiming that the sole reason for your argument of debranding is over-sensationalizing the issue and if anything detracts from all the other parts of the game, all of which are very "anime", that people are perfectly fine with if not flat out love.

That's like saying the whole purpose of TERA is the loli race and without their naked ass in the camera, the game is worthless. It's a ridiculous notion.

I gave examples of Poporis and Elin in other games that didnt get the hypersensational negativity this game got.

If Tera is sold as the western introduction to Anime gaming, they will get subs. They will pull them from every game in the MMO market. The Elim were removed from the western game. Pick up the fanpage pack, nothing is in there for Elim. I don't care, they can be intergrtated back in with a future exapnsion as a dryad type race. I just want it to be seen that this game is not "pedo", if it is, so are alot of the adverts on this site, so are alot of elements of other games we accept. Neither is the case and neither is Tera. It should keep its Anime aspect because what makes people buy video games? Eye candy. - Proof- "WoW sucks"

Tera, the first western Anime MMO.

I'm thinking thats a pretty damn good brand.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

SW-TOR "Look, its an Ewok!"

Tera "Look its a pedo-bear"

---

FF14 "Look, its a Lallafel"

Tera "Look its a preteen slut"

---

AoC" They have bewbies, this is hot and cool"

Tera "They have girls in bikinis, thats for nerds and pervs"

--

By the time Tera gets to North America it wont be Tera because it will have been debranded and the reason will be enmass let them. If this game did well in Japan and Korea, it will do well here and for the very same reasons. Racist bullshit about how eastern gamers have this otherworldy perspective on games is an old and unfounded stereotype enforced by stigma and misinformation, Just like everyone hates WoW and yet everyone plays it.

They are debranding Tera because its a threat. It's a cronyism and your going to lose if you don't hold your brand, EME, save your redevelopment money for a small squad of Lawyers and sell YOUR game, not some watered down version.

Generally speaking, Western gamers simply don't have the same tastes as Eastern gamers.  I think comparing the playerbase for Korean Aion and Lineage II to their NA counterparts should be enough to illustrate that point.  

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

^

I gave examples of Poporis and Elin in other games that didnt get the hypersensational negativity this game got.

If Tera is sold as the western introduction to Anime gaming, they will get subs. They will pull them from every game in the MMO market. The Elim were removed from the western game. Pick up the fanpage pack, nothing is in there for Elim. I don't care, they can be intergrtated back in with a future exapnsion as a dryad type race. I just want it to be seen that this game is not "pedo", if it is, so are alot of the adverts on this site, so are alot of elements of other games we accept. Neither is the case and neither is Tera. It should keep its Anime aspect because what makes people buy video games? Eye candy. - Proof- "WoW sucks"

Tera, the first western Anime MMO.

I'm thinking thats a pretty damn good brand.

Lack of grind =/= a western MMO. There are still many elements in TERA that make it Korean. TERA is Aion 2.0 and will do no better then it's predecessor.

Originally posted by Baggs

What are you people talking about?

The Elin is still in the game, I played one during the EU alpha last month.

The only change they made was to give them shorts instead of panties....

Stop spreading non-sense rumors when you actually have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

"There is no Elim in the Western fanpack"

Or do you like being reported for flaming? 

Originally posted by Baggs

What are you people talking about?

The Elin is still in the game, I played one during the EU alpha last month.

The only change they made was to give them shorts instead of panties....

Stop spreading non-sense rumors when you actually have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

They also covered their stomachs with crappy textures.