Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Game is Actually Really, Really Fun

WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402

I'm not saying it's good. That's because good is arbitrary and heavily based on the stipulations enforced by this forum of MMORPG sandbox fanboys. I have been waiting for a good nonlinear sandbox massively multiplayer game for years, and going into DCUO with that mindset will ruin the game for you. I tried the game during beta and was immediately turned off by the fact the game had no crafting, no housing, and seemingly retarded social features. 

I played it again this week and--having to pull myself away to work on some CS--realize that this game is unique in the genre for its fast-paced action and integrated story line. Yes, it is more like a console game superhero game except that it is online, has a massively multiplayer player versus player edge and has all the associated flaws of blending console with online. But it's still fun.

And fun is really all that matters. Why do we play games? We play them because they are an escape from reality (fantasy life simulator Skyrim and Oblivion don't get me started ---> waiting for a better computer) but also because they are fun! Do you remember that word: "fun?" 

What does that mean, fun? Well for me it means that I am pulled into the game, immersed in the story and gameplay. I feel exhilarated when I'm able to execute a correct combo on a boss and save my team, earning myself the highest damage output in an instance. I am exhilarated when I can create forcefields around them to protect them from damage just as they are on the brink of death. I am excited when I learn a new piece of the backstory and see comic book rendered movies about Raven or Trigon or Doctor Fate, enemies that I have faced and now can come to know.  But mostly, I feel thrilled, frightened, and slightly scared, when I am facing real player enemies anywhere in the game world at any time and we both know that neither can live while the other one stands. 

So why is this fun( for me at least):

1. Fast-paced combat -- I really think this feature is underrated. It makes a huge difference because each opponent is different. You don't have time to wait like in other games. You better know your combos and healing spells well otherwise your team will not survive.

2. PVP - I never played PVP before and hated it in almost every game because it took forever to reach the right level and even when you were there, you ended up dying because you didn't grind forever. DCUO is different because skill really matters. I can take down a level 15 as a level 13. Sure it will be harder, but using block and dodge, it's not too hard to get out of a sticky situation. I also love the camaraderie it breeds between players. We group together and cover each other's backs. 

3. Movement abilities - being able to fly around at supersonic(well, not really that fast) speeds is amazing and then zooming down from the skies to break the earth beneath you with your impact. SO COOL.

4. The Story - The story is good. Each NPC has his or her own attitude that is greatly reflected in voice dialogue and gives you a clear sense of their comic book characters.

5. DC Universe - there is so much for the developers to pull from and integrate. It's a brilliant universe, and while I like it less than marvel(sorry), I think the rendition of a comic world was well done.

6. Character customization - still top ten of MMORPGs even if COH and Champions had more options at the beginning. I like what another user said when he claimed that even though there were fewer options, the options were more imposing and made you look more like a superhero than the other games. I completely concur. The costume pieces unlike the other two SHMMORPGS are earned through quests and pvp, but that is not a bad thing. You can change your costume at any time, mixing and matching old parts with new parts to change your own superhero with matching color scheme.

7. It makes me feel like a badass - being able to create my own character archetype from a preset (switching between damage and healing) and then executing my own build in real-time against enemies is awesome. People really downplay the customization, but the game does not have talent trees like WoW, where you only get a few extra skills but most of the effects of each tree are passive. Instead, each tree in DCUO (while more limited in scope) comes with a complete set of abilities.

So, while yes, I cannot virtually cut corn or roll dough and bake bread, DCUO is fun and that is perhaps more important to my enjoyment than the realistic scope of a game based on Super Heroes. The content is short, sure, but there is always room for expansion. The biggest complaint about this game was content. Well, the game is free now and worth it. I'm even considering buying the DLC, to support the devs and get more enjoyment. You should check it out. 

Comments

• BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103

Cool, thanks, and I guess its worth a look after all it is F2P.

• EinsamWulfEinsamWulf Member Posts: 69

Been playing for a day or so now and I'm having a blast with this game, I dropped $10 on the fight for the light DLC so I could play as a Lantern and I'm having a great time doing so, sometimes just flying around grabbing all of the collectibles I can find is more more fun than questing (actually it's just a nice diversion).

Anyone who has any interest in this should give it a shot if your bored or want to try something different, I haven't tried it on PC but the PS3 version is really fast paced and action packed.

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    EinsamWulf- Legionnaire of Terminus
  • kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

Yeah, the game was really fun.  It simpl didn't have enough content at release to sustain it.  They have added quite a bit of content since I left.

With it having a f2p option, I think anyone interested should give it a try.  Keep in mind that like other f2p games, the free part is restricted.  You can still play the core game, but there are a lot of restrictions on character slots, storage, and such, plus the expansion is not part of the f2p.

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

DCUO is a lot of fun moment to moment.  I don't feel really inclined to do its gear grind, but the actual gameplay is really fun.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

It is very fun but wears thin quickly. I really dont understand how SOE thought this game could retain subs.

Somebody was smoking something funny

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

This game was ALOT fo fun for 2 weeks then i got really bored and have not been back. I dont think i will even download it to play F2P. ITs just that shallow.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by laserit

It is very fun but wears thin quickly. I really dont understand how SOE thought this game could retain subs.

They told us the monthly sub was to fund monthly updates..................image

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Lighten_UpLighten_Up Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Hahahahaha! That's how they get to you. 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by laserit

Yep!  40 hours of rollercoaster ride goodness(though half is a mirror of the opposing faction); near spg quality content... then CRASH!!!

What's amazing to me, is that a year out from when they made that "monthly" content promise, very little new content has come out, and most of that was in a PAID expansion.  That takes some SERIOUS balls.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

I beta'd this game and absolutely loathed it.  I never understood Bill's raving about this game and thought he must be on the SOE dole (j/k ;).  Anyway, I came back for the F2P reboot and I've got to admit I was wrong and this game is actually the perfect title for F2P IMO. 

You can pop in and out and accomplish a great deal in short bursts of time.  I was able to get to cap and have about 1/2 set of T2 PVP gear within 2 weeks (40hrs play time).  I see what others are saying about the longevity and I'm sure this game would not function for me as a regular MMO playing day in and out for months to years to come.  However, like I indicated could easily play this game 1 or more times a week for a few hours and get plenty of enjoyment.  Thanks to the fact that there's no sub this is completely feasible.

When I first launched the game as F2P I had visions of the EQ2 Extended pricing model in my head and was concerned.  However, I was able to play to cap and obtain all gear thus far without spending a dime.  Even my inventory space was never that tight.  The only real restriction on me was the cap on cash and the rest being retained in Escrow.  I also didn't have access to the Light power set, but still had access to all other powers and weapons.  Therefore, I really didn't feel like I was missing out on anything since I was new to the title anyway. 

After reaching cap I looked into it and found out that I somehow had 1051 SC that I've gotten for free over the years so I spent $5 picked up Fight for the Light and have some SC left over for later.

All the points the OP hits on - especially the combat which I originally thought was too much pointless clicking and mouse destruction - are the features that really do it for me as well.  While CoX and Champions may have more power set and customization options they simply failed to hold my attention and entertain me the way DCUO has.  I also feel like DCUO captures the feeling of being a superhero/villain much better than the aforementioned titles, but it's hard for me to specify the exact reasons why.

*Being that I never spent a dime on a box or sub for this game I really can't share many of the disappointments of others when it comes to SOE failing to deliver monthly content/deliver on players' subs.

Steam: Neph

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by Nephaerius

All the points the OP hits on - especially the combat which I originally thought was too much pointless clicking and mouse destruction - are the features that really do it for me as well.

While I'm not much of one for the insane 9 click combination options, I know that if AoC had combos in this format instead of the keyboard pecking system they have now, I'd like THAT game alot more.  It's a far better system, IMO.

As the superhero MMO's go, I like CoX as it is, but CO tried too much to stick to the old MMO system, while DCUO went all out, and it works.  As Miyagi said:  "Left side of the road... safe.  Right side of the road... safe.  Middle of the road... get squashed... like grape.".

• mlambert890mlambert890 Member UncommonPosts: 136

As a beta tester and lifetime sub (oh the humanity! such a waste of $), I can say that IMO everyone on this thread is correct.

As a FREE game its great.  It has about 40 hrs of content.  The grind, ironically, is *by far* the worst I have *ever* seen (and I cut my teeth on EQ1! back in April of 1999)

As a free game with no commitment where you occasionally drop in, punch stuff, and advance a DC IP storyline, its great.  As an MMO... It just isnt one.  The MMO side is for folks who *like* to gear grind so they can "pimp gearscore" and "DOMINATE pvp"  Many min/max types feel leveling and "fluff" are annoying wastes of time and that THE GEAR and MAXING OUT are the game.  DCUO, again ironically, is the *perfect* game for this.

You don't need to be a "sandbox fanboy" to recognize that DCUO has less content than *any* AAA MMO ever has.  The sad part is is that the content it DOES have is great.

I lifetime subbed even after realizing ALL of the above during the EARLIEST beta because I truly believed their BS about monthly updates.  I figured there was no way that an IP as vital as DCU could be reduced to a mindless punchfest e-peen gear grind.  BUT... I bet wrong :)

Now that its F2P, none of that matters.  With a buy-in of $0 its a great game.