Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fast question: is this possible?

HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

Hello Guys.

Let me give an example of what I want to know. Let’s say I play a Sith Inquisitor,  at level 10 I decide to become an assassin. some way through my leveling, I find out that I much rather wanted to only throw spells and not using light saber much, so I want to change to Sith Sorcerer instead. Is this possible? will you ever be able to change the decision you make at level 10?

Comments

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183
    No

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Originally posted by Hexipox

Hello Guys.

Let me give an example of what I want to know. Let’s say I play a Sith Inquisitor,  at level 10 I decide to become an assassin. some way through my leveling, I find out that I much rather wanted to only throw spells and not using light saber much, so I want to change to Sith Sorcerer instead. Is this possible? will you ever be able to change the decision you make at level 10?

NEVER

C

• etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855

At the moment you cannot change advanced class, and if i remember right, they are leaning towards never being able to,

because they allow you to change between your to specs in the advanced class you choose.

im not in beta, but im in the beta forums, so thats all i know so far.

and why should you be able to switch advanced classed, i would be like i rolled a warrior in wow, then switched to paladin when the need arose :)

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

You can respec your talent points but not change your Advanced Class.

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• Lighten_UpLighten_Up Member Posts: 108

Hexipox, are you maybe the Sith Inquisitor? It's okay, we don't judge. 

• poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226
    Yes you can. Roll an alt!
  • Hekke29Hekke29 Member UncommonPosts: 102

for the moment its impossible, but if i recall correctly not so long ago Daniel said that they are considering after launch giving players a way to do it before 20, so U will have 10levs to get sure...

but on the other hand in last build they expanded info U get when choosing AC, so im not so sure about that anymore.

anyway, in my personal look at this matter im rather against respecing AC at all, and for sure not further in game.

it would be like respecing from undead rogue to undead shadowpriest... yeah U had same starting region and quests, U have the same standing with freshly met foreign factions, but thats about all U have in common ;)

it was a total nightmare in WoW when already in instance U started to notice that tank leading the group have totally no idea what he is doing, (fury who went prot just to get into hero without the line) in SW it would be 10times worse as with every new tier of instances and skills im noticing more and more complexion put into managing "rotation" while in the same time reacting to changes in surrounding... yeah maybe a melee DPS can adapt fast enough to keep the team alive as tank, but person playing last 30levs as caster??? no thx

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr.Seuss

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Superfluous

OMG Don't tell him Hexipox!

We only don't judge because that's too much effort, we convict straight away!

• wickymageewickymagee Member UncommonPosts: 44

Depending on how far along you're talking it'd make more sense to re roll an alt anyways because you'd have to get used to a totally new play style with new mechanics.  I like rolling alts anyways so it'll be fun for me!!!  I'll let all you speed levelers know how all the classes are :P

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

No you can't and I'm pleased about that, means no need to respec etc after every major update

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

1 respec before lv 20 or so would be ok, people make mistakes and being able to correct it without rerolling is ok.

But that should be it, you choose Sith Sorcerer or swap to it from Assassin and hit lv 20 then that's your class and if you don't like it then tough.

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

Originally posted by MMOSareDEAD

Originally posted by Hexipox

Hello Guys.

True at the moment, you can't change your advanced class.

I bet though that once the hordes of whiny ex WoW players join the game and start QQing on the forums for the ability to respec. Bioware will give it to them.

The question isn't if, but when.

This - Sadly.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    A games journalist visiting Austin last week learned that you indeed will be able change ACs. However it will be discouraged by making it very expensive and a general hassle. So you won't do it often.
  • SysOpPsycheSysOpPsyche Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by Svarcanum

A swedish games journalist visiting Austin last week learned that you indeed will be able change ACs. However it will be discouraged by making it very expensive and a general hassle. So you won't do it often.

Honestly (and while not a SWTOR fan that particularly cares about the issue), they could allow a player to 'rollback'  to the level of choosing the AC instead of just switching AC's. It would probably make more sense especially if the Story is as bound to play as its Hyped. At the very least, it provides the means to 'try out' an AC without really knowing that much about it and allow a player to make up their mind and be enough of a penalty to prevent abusing it (FOTM switching etc.) while less of a penalty than rerolling or rolling an alt.

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

Originally posted by Superfluous

Ha! No actually it's the last class i am looking to play. Atm i cant choose IA/Sniper or BH/Merc ... maybe even Sith/mer - just too scared that they are much like a wow warrior ..

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Svarcanum
    A games journalist visiting Austin last week learned that you indeed will be able change ACs. However it will be discouraged by making it very expensive and a general hassle. So you won't do it often.
    Not being picky, but anything to back that up? This is the first I've heard (and quite opposite of the feeling I get from BW) about this.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I'd like a possibility for advanced class change, but not a trivial one like changing spec. Something that requires time and resources, something that you dont want to do but is always a possibility if you absolutely want/need/feel like you'd be more happier the otherway around. While the AC's are more or less very different classes, they still share a talent tree, story, companions, ship, and looks often too, and I think it would be okay to have somekind of time and resource demanding "re-training program" with a long CD if you absolutely so desire.

It would benefit the game on a long run also I believe, re-discovering excitement as your high level character if you get bored of it for some reason at some point and dont want to level completely different alt, or better yet, dont want to level through the same class story because you can pick a fresh one, but miss the opportunity then to experience the other AC of your original class. I'd say it would be fair considering how the classes are presented in the game.

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

Changing an AC is like changing a class in another game.  It would be like changing a Paladin into a Wizard.   Other games don't allow that type of change,  It's certainly not a valid point to do it simply because you get bored with your current AC.  If you are bored, roll a new character. 

I do see a certain potential for people taking one AC and realizing it is not for them.  Because of the delay in being able to pick the AC, it would require unnecessary leveling from 1-10 to get to choose the other AC.  That is kind of Bioware's fault, and they should give a certain opportunity to change it, like only allow it to be done once and before a certain level, like 20.  Another option would be to make it similar to EQ2's betrayal option for changing factions, requiring you to complete a lengthy questline to make the change.  Charging credits for it is not enough. That can be too easy to come by.  It needs to be something that requires a commitment.