Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE item mall?

MaggeliMaggeli Member Posts: 21

hello!

last time i played eve it was pay to play and 14 day trial

but here in the game list its item mall?

is the game free toplay now?

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

It has the option to use in game currency for gametime through their PLEX item.

Also you can use that same PLEX item to purchase vanity clothing for your avatar.

You can buy PLEX with real money and sell it in EVE for their in game currency.

Thus, everything from characters, to ships, to modules, is obtainable for real life money.

It's one of the worst cash shops around when it comes to getting an advantage over people with less real life money.

I love the game.

• MaggeliMaggeli Member Posts: 21

so u can get this PLEX item in game free to?

thx for the help!

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Also you can use that same PLEX item to purchase vanity clothing for your avatar.

Thus, everything from characters, to ships, to modules, is obtainable for real life money.

It's one of the worst cash shops around when it comes to getting an advantage over people with less real life money.

I love the game.

i wonder what would you said if you hated the game? imo, EVE has one of the best models, if anything. sure, (almost) anything can be bought, but all of it has to be produced by the players, which takes time. no character, ship, or nor module is created on demand from thin air. and most of it can be destroyed, and all can be damaged.

Originally posted by spinner_vis

I love the game.

i wonder what would you said if you hated the game? imo, EVE has one of the best models, if anything. sure, (almost) anything can be bought, but all of it has to be produced by the players, which takes time. no character, ship, or nor module is created on demand from thin air. and most of it can be destroyed, and all can be damaged.

That is a fair point.  Even the characters you buy for real life money, somebody spent years training.

I just don't like that someone can be a week into the game with years of skillpoints, and a corporation background they've never actually been a part of.  It's misleading.

PLEX to me is the games biggest disappointment to me.  Other than that though, yes I enjoy playing.

PLEX to me is the games biggest disappointment to me.  ...

how so? purpose of PLEX is to cut out RMT. without PLEX, players that have money, but no time to play, would go to third party and buy illegit ISK. with PLEX, players with time can sell legit ISK to players with money, with CCP getting more money to reinvest in EVE.

maybe PLEX should have stayed out of regular market, but EVE is better off with it than without.

how so? purpose of PLEX is to cut out RMT. without PLEX, players that have money, but no time to play, would go to third party and buy illegit ISK. with PLEX, players with time can sell legit ISK to players with money, with CCP getting more money to reinvest in EVE.

maybe PLEX should have stayed out of regular market, but EVE is better off with it than without.

Well, I guess I'm just thinking that RMT was not allowed, and people were banned before PLEX.  Their "solution" was to simply make RMT allowed!  "Don't buy from ISK selling illegit sites, buy from us instead!"  It's no difference in function really, you get isk or items for real money.  It's just you don't get banned now.

I would have preferred they simply kept on with their "unholy rage" and banned more people who did things like botting and RMTing.  Then the game would have been an even playing field still, that is, not based on how much you can spend in real life for some people.

These are just my thoughts and opinions though, obviously it's too late and won't happen :)

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

I've always kind of chuckled at this, to an extent.

Damn those gold sellers!  Everybody hates those gold sellers!  How can we stop them?  Well?  Well?

Oh, we can sell gold ourselves.  Wait, there's more!

Instead of having to pay gold farmers - we'll get the gold farmers to pay us!

We get paid by the people buying the gold and we get paid by the people selling the gold!

AWESOME!

Like I said, heh, I've always kind of chuckled at it...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

maybe you should check on things like "prohibition" and "traficking". never ever did laws prevented black market. it only makes it more profitable.

also, you are missing point. people with money are not buying isk from CCP. people are buying from other players. it's a love triangle, with RMT left out.

player A has money, has no time to play for ISK.

player B has time to play, doesn't have money to pay sub.

CCP has game, and offers PLEX.

Player A gives money to CCP, and gets PLEX.

Player A sells PLEX to Player B, and gets ISK.

CCP has more money, is happy.

Player A has more ISK, is happy.

Player B has PLEX, converts it to sub, is happy.

the only people left out would be those that don't have time to play, and don't want to spend money. but i really can't see how could one possibly accomodate such playstyle within EVE's free market.

In my opinion player A shouldn't have ISK then.  Things in the game should be EARNED, not bought.  To me, buying any in game advantage cheapens the experience for yourself and others.

Also, just because people do something illegal doesn't mean we should go "welp, let's give up on prevention and punishment then!"

In my opinion player A shouldn't have ISK then.  Things in the game should be EARNED, not bought.  To me, buying any in game advantage cheapens the experience for yourself and others.

Also, just because people do something illegal doesn't mean we should go "welp, let's give up on prevention and punishment then!"

you can't stop it. CCP can't stop it. not one game company ever stopped it, and never will.

issue here is accumulation. items, in-game currency, achievements, level/xp. as long as there is accumulation, there will be people willing to buy and sell. good luck fixing that.

you can't stop it. CCP can't stop it. not one game company ever stopped it, and never will.

issue here is accumulation. items, in-game currency, achievements, level/xp. as long as there is accumulation, there will be people willing to buy and sell. good luck fixing that.

You're right, CCP didn't stop it.  :)

To me, the best part of PLEX is that it makes CCP more money so they can continue developing.

• Zeal77Zeal77 Member Posts: 158

I love the game.

That is a fair point.  Even the characters you buy for real life money, somebody spent years training.

I just don't like that someone can be a week into the game with years of skillpoints, and a corporation background they've never actually been a part of.  It's misleading.

PLEX to me is the games biggest disappointment to me.  Other than that though, yes I enjoy playing.

PLEX is the most revolutionary thing I've seen in MMO's since 1999. Where else can you improve your char, skill up, or get good enough to the point that you can earn game time in-game. I haven't paid for Eve for a while now since I make enough dough to afford PLEX. It's awesome, I love it.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

LoL PLEX is a mean to earn money for CCP, it never did and never was intented to kill RMT.

RMT is fine and dandy in EVE.  RMT "illegal" sellers just offer lower prices, there is s**tload of botting / scamming in EvE and lots of adds to buy ISK in EvE. Zero problems to buy it there outside of PLEX.

True EvE always was plagued bad with RMT, but it is still and it is easier in EvE than in 'your average mmo'.

Anyway it is system like many others, some people like it, some not.

I don't.  It is not sole reason, but it is deffo one of reasons I don't play EvE anymore.

At least it is better than f2p / freemium model :/

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Because EVE is FFA PvP if one player or player body is l33t and uber, everyone needs to be leet and uber. It doesn't matter if you are talking about ship to ship, econ or anything else in EVE. One guy has a macro account to feed his POS with ice, he can produce and manufacture cheaper than you and runs the show. A full super cap fleet? You better have one too.

Plex allows people to keep up with the leet and uber even though they don't have the 18 hr days to play EVE. Of course, sell a plex, buy a T2 cruiser and 5 guys are lined up to blow it up so you get to buy another plex and get another T2 cruiser or be back where you started. This of course is ripe for explotation by no other than CCP and anyone who plays the game free and needs Plex in the game.

Plex is not pay to win. it's the opposite really. Its pay to lose because of the very nature of EVE. It doesnt matter what ship you fly in EVE, if you use it "as intended" you will lose it. So while I won't be bothered to make choices for other people, ask yourself if you really want to pay $35 for a T2 fit Zealot that you will end up losing to 30 seconds of lagg bliss.

-----

Is EVE an Item based mall game? Yes, very much so.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

"Don't buy from ISK selling illegit sites, buy from us instead!"

CCP isn't selling ISK, no one in PLEX system is.

Originally posted by Gdemami

"Don't buy from ISK selling illegit sites, buy from us instead!"

CCP isn't selling ISK, no one in PLEX system is.

CCP sells GTC.  GTC is converted to PLEX.  PLEX is sold for ISK or traded for items that have a value in ISK.

So how is CCP not selling ISK?

They're basically selling EVE Giftcards...

Originally posted by VirusDancer

CCP sells GTC. 

You answered your question yourself. They are selling GTC, not ISK...

2 different things.

Originally posted by free2play

Is EVE an Item based mall game? Yes, very much so.

No, it is not.

Only item mall is for vanity items - avatar appearance.

CCP sells GTC. 

You answered your question yourself. They are selling GTC, not ISK...

2 different things.

No, I did not answer my own question.  You're selective quoting does not change that.

Heck, I did not even realize that you no longer had to do the GTC to PLEX conversion anymore....

...CCP directly sells the PLEX without need of the conversion now.

And yet, you're still going to try to argue that CCP does not sell ISK?

Let me guess... CCP sells PLEX and I answered my own question?

Correct. CCP does not sell ISK, period.

Correct. CCP does not sell ISK, period.

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=603

Good link. Read it please so you understand your error.

Good link. Read it please so you understand your error.

No error in the least.

CCP sells PLEX.  PLEX can be converted to ISK.  CCP sells ISK.

CCP has stated this has been done to cutdown on third party RMTs.

It is an item mall.  It is not very different from buying bundled "points" in other games that allow you to purchase items in the game for real money.

Your argument is that CCP is selling the PLEX, not the ISK that people sell the PLEX for.  So let's look at what PLEX is, say we exclude the transactions in the game.  PLEX is a 30 day license.  It is 30 days of game time.

So let's look at other possible means of paying for that 30 days, eh?

You can sub/cancel 1 month at $14.95.  To pay for that, you can use a credit card - PayPal - WebMoney.

You can buy a GTC/ETC for 60 days at $34.99.  You can then convert ETC to PLEX to get your 30 days.  This costs $5 more than if you were to buy 2 months.  (Heck, with a 3 month sub - you'd only pay $12.95 a month, saving $6 over the three month period compared to the sub/cancel of 1 month.)

You can buy PLEX for $19.95...$5 more than if you just paid the sub/cancel 1 month.  You could buy a 2-pack, equivalent to buying the GTC/ETC for $34.99 - so this costs the same.  If you were just to buy PLEX each month, you'd being paying $5 more a month.

So obviously, you're not likely to be looking at buying PLEX to pay for your account.

What else is PLEX good for then?  Oh yeah, you can sell it for ISK... CCP actually encourages this, by saying you can make a profit by selling it.  Because CCP is selling ISK via selling PLEX.

The value of PLEX is greater in ISK than game time - $14.95 vs. $19.95.

No error in the least.

CCP sells PLEX.  PLEX can be converted to ISK.  CCP sells ISK.

It is an item mall. 

{mod edit}

Pretty much every product or service can be sold back again for currency, that does not make it currency exchange though.

Commodity exchange =/= currency exchange

CCP is and always was selling game time only. No more no less. There is no item mall apart from NEX store and there is no ISK to be purchased there. Read the blog again and put more thought into it...

Item mall represents a closed market service with unlimited supply - like NEX store. That is very much nothing like commodity exchange based on supply and demand driven trading of any commodity ingame though. And that is exactly what PLEX system as described in the blog does - it makes game time an equal ingame commodity.

PLEX is like any other ingame item. Think about is as faction loot, data cores or w/e crap that spawns out of thin air ingame, they are not much different.

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190

That red stain? That used to be a horse!?

Instead of some botter getting money for selling isk, CCP created a system where a player can play for free at the expense of another play, the player can front load their wallet with plex, and CCP still gets paid.

Call it greed or whatever you want, but the fact that CCP benefits from this means subscribers benefit as well. 

Good lord... Imagine if EVE went the F2P model. 

Everyone in nullsec would own a titan/mom/cap, every missioner would have golems. There would be zero point to play then.