Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pathfinder Online

JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

apparently, Paizo intends to move into online gaming.

https://goblinworks.com/

for those that aren't familiar with D&D, Pathfinder RPG is tabletop role-playing game, a "clone" of 3rd edition of Dungeons&Dragons rules (usually, reffered to as D&D 3.75). i must say, FAQ contains some juicy bits. enjoy!

Comments

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by spinner_vis

a "clone" of 3rd edition of Dungeons&Dragons rules (usually, reffered to as D&D 3.75).

Actually, that's not entirely correct: Pathfinder isn't a clone of third edition (3.5 actually), but a continuation of it. When WotC transitioned over to 4th Ed, they sold the D20 rights to Paizo (much as they sold the AD&D rights to Kenzer when switching over to D20). Paizo took the rules and hammered out a lot of the bugs, balancing things and such. Pathfinder isn't a clone of the D20 rules like True20 or some of the other knockoffs, but rather the latest version of D20 (hence the 3.75 nickname).

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

apparently, Paizo intends to move into online gaming.

https://goblinworks.com/

for those that aren't familiar with D&D, Pathfinder RPG is tabletop role-playing game, a "clone" of 3rd edition of Dungeons&Dragons rules (usually, reffered to as D&D 3.75). i must say, FAQ contains some juicy bits. enjoy!

Good, especially given WotS' general ineptitude and poor choices when it comes to video game business. At least recently, that is.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Dinendae

a "clone" of 3rd edition of Dungeons&Dragons rules (usually, reffered to as D&D 3.75).

Actually, that's not entirely correct: Pathfinder isn't a clone of third edition (3.5 actually), but a continuation of it. When WotC transitioned over to 4th Ed, they sold the D20 rights to Paizo (much as they sold the AD&D rights to Kenzer when switching over to D20). Paizo took the rules and hammered out a lot of the bugs, balancing things and such. Pathfinder isn't a clone of the D20 rules like True20 or some of the other knockoffs, but rather the latest version of D20 (hence the 3.75 nickname).

I havnt played since 2.5 edition but from what Ive read (very little) most of the core table top gamers that started way back in the early 80's hate 3.5+

So far I like the sounds but it does seem that at first glance it will be another low budget FFA MMO but we dont know much yet.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Oh... very interesting... *signed up for newsletter*

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Zylaxx

I havnt played since 2.5 edition but from what Ive read (very little) most of the core table top gamers that started way back in the early 80's hate 3.5+

So far I like the sounds but it does seem that at first glance it will be another low budget FFA MMO but we dont know much yet.

Some do, some don't; my group that plays on Sundays love the D20 system, and we have players that go back to the original pamphlets. It's sort of like snadbox MMOs vs. themepark MMOs; people tend to favor one style over the other.

I am hoping that since they are shooting for a mixture of themepark and sanbox in the game, that it will be more along the lines of DAoC; non-pvp themepark areas to level up in, with a robust PvP frontier section. Making it entirely FFA PvP would send it along the same route as Shadowbane, in my opinion.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

Originally posted by Dinendae

do you have source for that?

to my knowledge, Pathfinder is built on Open Game License, which allows anyone to use basic D20 mechanics to build their own systems. issue was that, as WOTC was about to discontinue 3E, Paizo, who had quite an investment in 3E adventures, needed/wanted 3E to be available. so they built Pathfinder RPG to support their own interest.