Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

should I try Rift? Input welcome!

bobby75024bobby75024 Member Posts: 2

Hey guys,

Haven't played MMOs in a year and a half or so, but when I did I played DAoC for about 6-7 years. By far my favorite game I've ever played but now it's population is so small and there is so little interest it seems hardly worth it to reactivate. Is Rift worth the $40?

If you've played/liked DAoC would you recommend Rift? No other MMO has really caught my interest but Rift on paper definitely looks worthwhile. And it seems to not have had an epic population drop since release, right? Warhammer and AoC I tried but were clearly without.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Honestly, going back to Doac would be a better choice...

If you played Daoc you probably tried WaR (thinking that it would be Doac 2).. Rift is WaR's younger sister. Both games are similar and if you value PvP/RvR id stay away..

....I say this having played all 3 games

• i enjoy Rift a lot. i thought it was just going to be a filler till some other games came out, but i'm really happy with the game as a whole.

it's a themepark, and the leveling could have been more fun, but they did say the game was ment to be played at level cap,

they release content very fast and wil come with some small bugs, but they work it out fairly fast. like every month and a half they put out new content. the content is full on content too. not like one warfront and that's it. each patch has added a lot so far, and they said they planned to keep putting it out as they have been.

the soul system is great, and allows for a lot of different types of playstyles. there are stil fotm builds, but they are changed up every other month while trion tries to "balance" the classes and souls. if you're into theory, this game is for you, if not, then just read the rift forums and pick up the latest builds.

the 5 man instances are failry easy with two types. T1 and T2. they also have master mode which are a little harder to deal with, but not that bad.

raiding is great imo. two tier of raiding so far, wtih 3 20 man raids, and 3 10 man raids.

PvP is fairly fun, but has a lot of the standard capture the flag games that most other themepark games have. still a lot of fun to play, and skill takes over in warfronts. not much room for fails in PvP. it's also a great way to use the soul system again, as PvP builds and PvE builds are a lot different. you may get wrecked starting off in PvP, but there are a lot of diffferent ways to contribute in a warfront. once you're sitting at rank 2 (which is really fast), you can start with other builds. world PvP is pretty cool if you're on a PvP server, but PvE servers have it as well (just not a lot). on both servers the PvP rifts are fairly entertaining if people are fighting. if no one is around, it's boring as all hell running shards.

the new zone is a blast, and gave me more to do then i though. i tend to just log in for raid, but am having fun goin over the new island.

if you're into achievements, they have a ton of them. not really my thing, but my guildies farm them like crack addicts.

they have "artifacts" that are all over the place, and you collect them to make sets. they're a lot of fun to try and scoop up. mix and match kind of deal. gotta catch em all lol.

the Rifts themselves are all fairly similar. fight waves of spawned trash/elites. they have minor, major, and two tier of raid rifts. there are also the large zone wide events that are pretty fun, but you can half ass them if you want. i'm afk in one right now as i'm typing this. only need to contribute a little bit to get credit. so go full speed ahead, or afk it up after you help a bit.

addons are still a WiP, as they don't want to add in too much too fast.

the alternate advancement system is pretty cool. i raid competitivly, and having a crap ton of points into the AA isn't make or break. 6 different AA maps, with 3 tiers (2 tiers open so far).

i don't know.. i'm sure i'm missing something, but i hope this helps a bit. again i'll say, i wasn't planning on playin rift for that long, but once i got into it i was very happy. was feeling fairly burnt out on mmorpgs, but they'll be getting my sub for a while. good game imo. i recomend it to new players, and even the ones who quit a while ago. they do the free weekends everyonce in a while for old players. worth rechecking imo.

if you wanted to try the game out, i can send you a link for the free trial. i get some free crap if you get the game, but idc either way. you just have to find something that makes you feel like you're getting your dollars worth.

hope this helped.

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by bobby75024

Hey guys,

Haven't played MMOs in a year and a half or so, but when I did I played DAoC for about 6-7 years. By far my favorite game I've ever played but now it's population is so small and there is so little interest it seems hardly worth it to reactivate. Is Rift worth the $40?

If you've played/liked DAoC would you recommend Rift? No other MMO has really caught my interest but Rift on paper definitely looks worthwhile. And it seems to not have had an epic population drop since release, right? Warhammer and AoC I tried but were clearly without.

Thanks for the help.

Rift is primarily a pve game with Warfronts. I personally prefer warfronts for my pvp, if your after open world pvp you would be better to look elsewhere.

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

What dazzle said about sums it up. Ignore all the other hate stuff and give it a try, its got a free trial so nothing lost. 

You may as well ask on here if wow is worth playing - stand back and light the blue touch paper.

• bobby75024bobby75024 Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by Daddydazzle

i enjoy Rift a lot. i thought it was just going to be a filler till some other games came out, but i'm really happy with the game as a whole.

it's a themepark, and the leveling could have been more fun, but they did say the game was ment to be played at level cap,

they release content very fast and wil come with some small bugs, but they work it out fairly fast. like every month and a half they put out new content. the content is full on content too. not like one warfront and that's it. each patch has added a lot so far, and they said they planned to keep putting it out as they have been.

the soul system is great, and allows for a lot of different types of playstyles. there are stil fotm builds, but they are changed up every other month while trion tries to "balance" the classes and souls. if you're into theory, this game is for you, if not, then just read the rift forums and pick up the latest builds.

the 5 man instances are failry easy with two types. T1 and T2. they also have master mode which are a little harder to deal with, but not that bad.

raiding is great imo. two tier of raiding so far, wtih 3 20 man raids, and 3 10 man raids.

PvP is fairly fun, but has a lot of the standard capture the flag games that most other themepark games have. still a lot of fun to play, and skill takes over in warfronts. not much room for fails in PvP. it's also a great way to use the soul system again, as PvP builds and PvE builds are a lot different. you may get wrecked starting off in PvP, but there are a lot of diffferent ways to contribute in a warfront. once you're sitting at rank 2 (which is really fast), you can start with other builds. world PvP is pretty cool if you're on a PvP server, but PvE servers have it as well (just not a lot). on both servers the PvP rifts are fairly entertaining if people are fighting. if no one is around, it's boring as all hell running shards.

the new zone is a blast, and gave me more to do then i though. i tend to just log in for raid, but am having fun goin over the new island.

if you're into achievements, they have a ton of them. not really my thing, but my guildies farm them like crack addicts.

they have "artifacts" that are all over the place, and you collect them to make sets. they're a lot of fun to try and scoop up. mix and match kind of deal. gotta catch em all lol.

the Rifts themselves are all fairly similar. fight waves of spawned trash/elites. they have minor, major, and two tier of raid rifts. there are also the large zone wide events that are pretty fun, but you can half ass them if you want. i'm afk in one right now as i'm typing this. only need to contribute a little bit to get credit. so go full speed ahead, or afk it up after you help a bit.

addons are still a WiP, as they don't want to add in too much too fast.

the alternate advancement system is pretty cool. i raid competitivly, and having a crap ton of points into the AA isn't make or break. 6 different AA maps, with 3 tiers (2 tiers open so far).

i don't know.. i'm sure i'm missing something, but i hope this helps a bit. again i'll say, i wasn't planning on playin rift for that long, but once i got into it i was very happy. was feeling fairly burnt out on mmorpgs, but they'll be getting my sub for a while. good game imo. i recomend it to new players, and even the ones who quit a while ago. they do the free weekends everyonce in a while for old players. worth rechecking imo.

if you wanted to try the game out, i can send you a link for the free trial. i get some free crap if you get the game, but idc either way. you just have to find something that makes you feel like you're getting your dollars worth.

hope this helped.

hey, thanks, very helpful. So is there an AA system or something that helps in PvP like the RR/RA system in DAoC? Basically, do you get better/new skills for PvP success?

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

RIFT is a good game. It is a bit time consuming, but you can try the trial and see how you feel about it.

Other popular mmos of same style out there like Wow, AION are a good choice also. Aion is a bit grindy but brings some new stuff to the table.

Havent played LotRO, EQ2, or L2 for a longtime now, but they are generally still considered to be good mmos.

One game that i havent played but i see it geting alot of love is the old Vanguard, wich many ppl says to be the most complete experience you can have in a mmorpg. If i wasnt playing EvE i would give it a try.

Oh yeah EvE Online...well...falls out a bit of the shield&sword style...its more pew pew and im liking it.

My advice: dont buy anything prior to play the trial :)

• to give ya an idea. here's a link to a soul calculator: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html

and here's the AA calc: http://rift.zam.com/en/pa.html

edit: looks like the AA calc doesn't have the T2 added in yet.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help.

It hasnt had an 'epic' population drop, but its down to half its servers and has very high churn.  More retention than AoC or WAR though for sure and most of the servers are healthy (6 of the 30 NAservers are perma low pop servers and are to be avoided, but the others should be ok)

But its a crappy PvP game.  On par with WoW, nowhere near WAR, and shouldnt even be mentionedin same post as DAoC.  Not to say it isnt fun, but its not the games strong point

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Try the trail, I coulnt even make it past lvl 10 till its get so damn boring...

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    LOL so I told Bobby he would be better off playing Daoc and that was considered hate? Wowzers ROFL... I played Daoc from release and also have 7+ years of experience(off and on)... there are perks in Rift such as Armor and abilities from PvPing but its nothing compared Daoc's Realm Rank system ... the actual combat was bad for me.. all classes have some type of point system which upon using an ability the enemy generates a point and after so many points activates a more powerful ability.. so for my Saboteur I would press //1//1//1//1//4// ... 1 being my abl that generates the point and 4 being the abl that activates the point... //1//1//1//1//4// .... //1//1//1//1//4// all game... boring

but dont take my word for it ... play it for free

• BeachcomberBeachcomber Member Posts: 535

Originally posted by Mari2k

Try the trail, I coulnt even make it past lvl 10 till its get so damn boring...

That says more about you than the game...

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Absolutely,

I didn't particularly care for it, but there is no reason that I see that you may not.  you don't lose anything but a little time.

I self identify as a monkey.

• WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65

Yes it is worth it, try a month and enjoy a very good game

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help.

no Rift its not worth $40... if you never played WoW you may last long in Rift for sure... i have never played DAOC past starting area so i cant say anything about it besides its dated mechanics arent good in 2011+

if u want to play Rift, try the free trial and if u like it wait for a special sale they always do and sell the game cheap... 

i only can recommend Rift if you are the type of gamer that only keeps 1 character.... as there is no fun at all in rolling alts here (u do the same things at the same places with every race + races arent much varied or inspiring)...

the game can be fun and boring at times with Rifts and invations... ur best bet is to get the free trial and decide for urself

about population.... near launch it had most servers on high pop, now you get at least 2 servers on high pop at peak times for the US region... and the rest at low pop (sometimes med).... population decreased significantly in the past few months. its not fun to play solo in Rift... but you could have more fun if u join an active guild (active as in most players online and doing things you could do with them).... i never found one like that after the earlier months

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by rojo6934

no Rift its not worth $40... if you never played WoW you may last long in Rift for sure... i have never played DAOC past starting area so i cant say anything about it besides its dated mechanics arent good in 2011+

What makes Rift's mechanics any better?

dated presentation maybe, but there is nothing wrong withDAoC's mechanics,and its clearly a better PvP game.

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

Might as well.  I think Trion is actually giving away a new car with every new subscription now.  

• Dave3216Dave3216 Member Posts: 133

Yes you should try rift. It was fun especially if you do exploring try find all the cairns or get quirky achiievements like Dancing with Squirrels. I found Rift in a guild of friends very enjoyable, but we really like going out and finding achievements. Combat is the same as other mmos except with rifts which are fun, but old by end game. Also end game is very much like every other game out there.

In fact we stopped playing after 6 monhs because end game was too much same old same old. All in all though it was an absolute blast getting to end game, if you like the grind of end game then it may be a long term game for you. hope you try it and enjoy as much as we did.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by rojo6934

What makes Rift's mechanics any better?

dated presentation maybe, but there is nothing wrong withDAoC's mechanics,and its clearly a better PvP game.

probably i should have been more specific there. By dated mechanics i mean they feel clunky... at least Rift has smooth gameplay (not as smooth as WoW tho). Im talking about the movements and combat movements. Daoc graphics are pretty good for its age, but movement and combat could be retouched and made smoother as of now (since the game is still live)

• DianicDianic Member Posts: 69

If you are able to free trial any game you are remotely interested in, then you should.  This will help you formulate your own opinions.

You have nothing to lose by trying a game for free.  GO FOR IT!

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

free trial is always worth of trying , and when there is one available why wonder this out loud?

for input been there done that blaablaa, endless rift cleaning without having enough people doing them most of the time,

leveling goes up too fast compared to items you get doing rifts in a one map, i mean you go past the items faster than you actually gather ingredients for them to help you.

all this multiple options mixing cleric, mage whatever is maybe somewhat new but not enough to conquer masses.

my input and i recomend to try the trial to make your own.

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

depends what you're looking for.

if you want to compete with good pvp'ers, i definitely would NOT go for rift.

the quality of the pvp players is the worst i've ever seen in an mmo.

go to pr 6 and faceroll even pr 8 because they suck so hard...

i cancelled my sub after 2 months because there was absolutely no player worth fighting against.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

"should I try Rift? Input welcome! Is Rift worth the $40? "

Yes, you should try Rift. Just don't spend $40 unless you like wasting extra money.

From Amazon:

Rift
    by Trion Worlds, Inc
    Rated: Teen

List Price: $29.99
    Price: $9.99
    You Save: $20.00 (67%)

46 new from $4.35 14 used from $2.95

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

30-40$? lol.

in eu you'll get this game for 10€ wich is around 14$.

looks like it is more popular in the us.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Rift is a good game. Very social, dynamic, and fun.

My only problem with the game was how long it takes to kill anything. It has the old-skool whack-on-a-mob-for-five-minutes thing going on, and as much as I enjoyed the rest of the game, combat was too tedious for me.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

In a word, Yes.  RIFT is a game worth trying out and is always on my radar.  Although I currently don't have a sub, I watch the news and will come back during certian events/updates.