Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No class roles is a mistake

2»

Comments

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217

Originally posted by Suraknar

Originally posted by Hycoo

If you spend all the time to unlock 500 skills and get gear for each build...I am sorry but when are you actually going to be playing the game?

Or are you saying that the game is all about unlocking 500 skills and geting gear for each build? Then it is not much of a game...

I dont see the problem... you play the game like any other game where you gain new abilities and gear?

A big part of this game for many people is building decks and trying them out. With 7 chakras affecting your stats you probably need to optimize your gear for your build to do as best as possible. This doesnt mean you will have to hunt for new skills and gear the whole game,  just that you have the possibilty to do so. If you find some build(s) that you really like, play the game that way and dont think about new builds.

I was merely replying to the OP who stated that everyone can do everything easily. This is not a fact since its gonna take a lot of time and effort to be able to cover every role with every skill.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    as long as you need to grind from level 1 to max to atain each class combination possibility i dont care if all can access all class with same char.if they dont make player grind then it might has wll not release the game and just shelf it
  • HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217

Originally posted by drbaltazar

as long as you need to grind from level 1 to max to atain each class combination possibility i dont care if all can access all class with same char.if they dont make player grind then it might has wll not release the game and just shelf it

Please do some research about a game before you tell them to shelf it. There are no classes or levels. Only skills that you combine to make builds. Very similiar to how Magic the Gathering works.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    like i say as long as the combination i chose is locked i dont care the idea is the same grind to get your combo.if there is no grind the might has well shelf the game
  • Oh.no.U_OOh.no.U_O Member UncommonPosts: 30

On a side note its not like you will need to get all 500 skills to even acheive every different role, considering from what I can tell there will be different ways to do the same thing. like instead of fire magic there might also be some sort of dark magic or ice and so forth with their own line of skills.  obviously you don't have to go out and get all magic skills to fulfill some sort of ranged magic role, but it does add variation in how you go about building your character.  And from the looks its the same way with different guns and whatever sort of melee weapons you might use, each with their own skills. I might be wrong on that so don't chew me out if I am.

I think anyone really looking at the game is interested because it really looks to have a lot of different ways to make your character the way you want and the way you want your character to play like.

Currently Playing: Age of Conan

• purplhzepurplhze Member Posts: 3

It will be a good thing if all skills are equally usefull in PVE/PVP, otherwise people will go with cookie cutter builds again. 

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

I like the idea of tsw skill system, but like everything else theres going to be optimal builds.  Youll be expected to have such and such skills by the community. However I welcome community imposed restrictions over developer imposed restrictions any day.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

To those who dont like the no class idea, dont play. really it will be great not having to listen to people ask constantly "whats the best gun, whats the best spell"

Really im not trying to be a prick but seriously, if you cant get your head around making your own class (and yes i do understand the switching of roles between each. your still making your own class) then this is not the game for you, plain and simple. dont play, stick to the cookie cutter EQ/WoW Duplicates.

from what i can tell (going by the video) 7 passives and 7 actives. most likely means that you have 7 spells that you can use and 7 passive spells to boost the 7 actives you have or your health or your defences or whatever. if the game is setup this way then you could possibly be a caster of any element (just a way to explain it) while doing equal damage to somone of a different element. i can easily see combinations being posted about the 7 passive, but probubly not the active unless im thinking about it wrong.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

No levels, no classes, no limits.

Perfect,

Perfect,

Perfect.

Sorry, OP I don't want to pretend to be unique when there are a million other sorcs just like me, that talk like, who cus like me, who just don't give a f*ck like me. Who build an OP template, just like me.

I want to be able to play through many aspects of a game with my Avatar and I'd say Funcom nailed this one right on the head.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

this is old, it was Martin (one of the big guys in charge of TSW) who said:

"All our items consist of 3 parts: A prefix, a core and a suffix. Just to give you guys and idea of how that looks, here's a *made up* example of an item with the 3 parts in brackets: "[Numbing] [Shotgun] of [Pyrokinesis]". Each of those 3 parts will bring something different to the item (stat-wise)"

this equipment systen with the current 588 skills, only able to carry 7 active & 7 passive at a time, plus the hability to change fast and anytime between 2 weapons (exp: fists and shotguns), are going to blow me away, so many builds to work ^^.

I love working on builds, but I hate having to make alts.

• ashiresashires Member Posts: 10

Ryzom pulls off the "no classes" thing pretty well. gear up and skill up for what you want to be able to do.

as long as there is a play driven character progression I am drooling over it. (as opposed to time driven, hate it)

• 93_Riot_9393_Riot_93 Member Posts: 3

I think  the "respec on the fly" system is a great plan! Sure there will be people who like tanking, healing ect and will stick to the trid and true specs but you aren't forced into it. How is being locked into a specific class role unique and different? It is what 90% of other MMO's force you into doing.

I think one of the Dev's said something along the lines... A group of tanks will be able to clear dungeons with self heals. Would that be a preferred way of dungeon crawling? Probably not but it is doable if the need arises. I know im not the only one that has waited and waited for heals or a meat sheild for a pug. Or lets say you just can't down a boss that because lets say that particular boss is immune to fire and there isn't enough DPS... Your group can go and use this fluid specing system and change up the groups dynamics to pump out more damage.

The only problem I can see from this system is the loot distribution. Maybe this is better suited for a new thread but I will say it here. Say a really nice "tank" item drops. Since everyone can change their spec at will (assuming this is how it will implemented). Wouldn't everyone want that awesome cool shiny tank toy? The person who enjoys tanking all the time is going to have to compete even more for that cool thing they want/need.  The same goes for all the other classes and their "neat" things.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by 93_Riot_93

I think  the "respec on the fly" system is a great plan! Sure there will be people who like tanking, healing ect and will stick to the trid and true specs but you aren't forced into it. How is being locked into a specific class role unique and different? It is what 90% of other MMO's force you into doing.

I think one of the Dev's said something along the lines... A group of tanks will be able to clear dungeons with self heals. Would that be a preferred way of dungeon crawling? Probably not but it is doable if the need arises. I know im not the only one that has waited and waited for heals or a meat sheild for a pug. Or lets say you just can't down a boss that because lets say that particular boss is immune to fire and there isn't enough DPS... Your group can go and use this fluid specing system and change up the groups dynamics to pump out more damage.

The only problem I can see from this system is the loot distribution. Maybe this is better suited for a new thread but I will say it here. Say a really nice "tank" item drops. Since everyone can change their spec at will (assuming this is how it will implemented). Wouldn't everyone want that awesome cool shiny tank toy? The person who enjoys tanking all the time is going to have to compete even more for that cool thing they want/need.  The same goes for all the other classes and their "neat" things.

I think this is really a positive thing.

If everyone can use the item, everyone has a fair shot at it without there being fights over loot on what class needs what more.

I prefer that to the hell that was/is "hunter loot" in WoW. Where multiple classes could be competing for one set of gear.

Where a ferral druid, a rogue and a hunter use basically the same stats on an item, etc.

Or where enchanters roll for items because they need it for their profession.

Here the system works in the way that everyone -can- use the item if they so desire, so only the "want" is actually taken into account. Nobody "needs" the item more than the other.

There is no need/greed/pass. There is only random association.

• 93_Riot_9393_Riot_93 Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by AdamTM

If everyone can use the item, everyone has a fair shot at it without there being fights over loot on what class needs what more.

I prefer that to the hell that was/is "hunter loot" in WoW. Where multiple classes could be competing for one set of gear.

Where a ferral druid, a rogue and a hunter use basically the same stats on an item, etc.

Here the system works in the way that everyone -can- use the item if they so desire, so only the "want" is actually taken into account. Nobody "needs" the item more than the other.

I don't necessarily see it as a drawback as much as I see it being very exploitable. Not that it was never exploited in anyother game. With this "classless" system it is just a lot more ambiguous.

Like in my example. a really good tank weapon drops. Lets say YOU really like playing as a tank and probably will for the majority of your time in game but, I win that item. I will hardly ever play a tank and stick mostly with heals and casting but, I like to bash things once in a great while. You were the one that could have really used it most, as it suits your gameplay style a lot better than mine.

Like we all know though. This wouldn't be anything new to the genre. I just see it as MORE exploitable than in static class role systems. I'm not going to say OMG this is a huge negative. I acknowledge the positive aspects. I am just leary as to what will become of it. It will be interesting.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by 93_Riot_93

Originally posted by AdamTM

I don't necessarily see it as a drawback as much as I see it being very exploitable. Not that it was never exploited in anyother game. With this "classless" system it is just a lot more ambiguous.

Like in my example. a really good tank weapon drops. Lets say YOU really like playing as a tank and probably will for the majority of your time in game but, I win that item. I will hardly ever play a tank and stick mostly with heals and casting but, I like to bash things once in a great while. You were the one that could have really used it most, as it suits your gameplay style a lot better than mine.

Like we all know though. This wouldn't be anything new to the genre. I just see it as MORE exploitable than in static class role systems. I'm not going to say OMG this is a huge negative. I acknowledge the positive aspects. I am just leary as to what will become of it. It will be interesting.

I see your point, but i don't feel like this is going to be that much of a problem.

Also, we don't really know yet how much gear you will find, how big the gaps in the gear can be. 

When we are talking about gear, the most popular examples of WoW come to mind with common, uncommon, rare, epic and legendary items. However it might be that TSW doesn't even have this system where there is a large difference between rare and epic for example.

We also don't know how the loot is found actually. Afaik ive heard them say that monsters don't actually drop loot, so I'm unsure how its found, might be the puzzles, or quest-rewards.

Maybe the monsters drop crafting-materials or tokens that can be exchanged/crafted for whatever loot you like.

Since you join a faction, a sort of quarter-master system is very likely where you get your equipment from a vendor with some form of currency or reputation, and then maybe you can modify it in some way like enchanting or modding.

As it stands i have no idea how loot actually works in this game, i just know there wont really be rolling for it at the end of the dungeon as in WoW.

EDIT: I just checked the wiki, its vague, but it seems that there is no armor-gear in this game anyways, it being replaced with "chakras" which is a sort of modding for your body. So im guessing what you will get is chakra for a certain slot, like defense, offense, etc. that you can put in your body to have a desired effect.

Think Praxis in Deus Ex maybe

AKA if you want to have higher melee dmg, you would modify your arms with more muscles or sth.

The only gear that influences your looks is Weapons, and its stated that all of the gear can be crafted, including chakras.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by eyelolled

This game has an infinitely better chance at getting my dollar then SWTOR does because of not being another "My toon does THIS, anybody need THIS? LFG" style game.  I am so sick an tired of the rigidly defined class systems, and with developers making things easier for the less capable people (a.k.a. I make bunk builds and whine about it) the classes become simpler and more defined.  I think it's great that I can define my own style of playing my character, and change it up if I decide to try a different role.  I honestly would hope that it is impossible to figure out the best way to do things, just for the challenge of trying to. 

I don't need the developer telling me how to play my toon. I don't need the game telling me how to play my toon.  I don't need a website telling me how to play my toon. I am going to play a game to have fun, and if the game doesn't allow me to do that, then I'm not interested.

QFT.

Don't fear risk and change, embrace it.  It can lead to wonderful things.

I really respect Funcom for daring to try different things and believe they're on a positive track to a successful formula.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.