Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New to the Diablo Series, 1 important question

AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173

hello all, as stated above i'm brand new to the diablo series and have one huge question to ask all of you:

What kind of game is Diablo 3? as in, whats the main purpose in the game?, How does the game play? like an rpg? mmo?, i pretty much am looking for a brief discription of what exactly Diablo is? 

Comments

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Hmmm..isometric hack'n'slash rpg

isometric - a camera type

hack'n'slash denotes a lot of left click and monsters (customization in diablo 3 yay)

rpg character lvling elements

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• SlybaconSlybacon Member Posts: 48

classed as an action rpg.  its a loot based game set within a world torn detween good and evil (mostly evil).

Unrelenting monster face smashing awesomeness grouped with treasure hunting! good times

slybacongaming.blogspot.com

• AgentAnarkiiAgentAnarkii Member UncommonPosts: 173

but what do you do inside the game? quests? dungeon crawl? will i be able to play with other players in D3? if so any pvp? 

• SlybaconSlybacon Member Posts: 48

yes,yes,yes (4 player groups),yes (arena style, no world pvp)!

slybacongaming.blogspot.com

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

All of your questions could have been solved by now if you just went and read their website and googled some youtube videos.

• lynshakelynshake Member Posts: 26

Hey for the moment just go to check the game site  u will got all infos u want . It will come out in jan 2012 can not wait to play

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

Originally posted by AgentAnarkii

hello all, as stated above i'm brand new to the diablo series and have one huge question to ask all of you:

What kind of game is Diablo 3? as in, whats the main purpose in the game?, How does the game play? like an rpg? mmo?, i pretty much am looking for a brief discription of what exactly Diablo is? 

You will get a good impression if you watch some beta gameplay videos on youtube.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by AgentAnarkii

Dungeon-crawler: with single, multiplayer of a small party of adventurers choosing the usual class archetypes eg barbarian, wizard, archer/rogue etc.

You move onwards in isometric view dungeon eg precursors would be gauntlet and golden axe of progression by killing waves of enemies (hack-n-slash) and then a scramble to earn loot and power-ups. [YouTube] Diablo 3 for eg.

D3 will probably embelish the bejeezus out of the above genre formula however so expect good does of story and level up and so on...

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I kind of see Diablo 3 as it's own thing, seperate from the previous games. In short, you don't need to be a fan of the past ones.

The core Diablo/dungeon crawler hack'n'slash gameplay experience is there. Spam pots, click a monster, it dies, receive exp and possibly some wonderful randomized loot drops.

But that's kind of where the similarities end for me. It's taken some pretty strange directions imo, probably the most strange is it taking on a "WoW" inspired leveling up system (no more custom character stat builds for example). Overall it just has the "made so everyone can play/buy it" type of feel to it that is taking over games in general.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I played Diablo 1, but did not play Diablo 2. I'm in the D3 beta, but there are also a ton of videos on youtube showing the bits that are available in the beta.

It is an isometric view game, rendered in 3D. It's basically a hack-n-slash game where you run dungeons and kill stuff for loot.

It's an RPG in that you do level your character up, select skills and spells, etc. You have more spells than you have the ability to use, so you also have build outs...you pick which spells you want to take with you and use.

It also has a story line, so the game is a directed experience with a progression path at least at the start. It may open out later in the game, but it exists largely to tell you a Diablo story. For instance, at the start you mean Cain's daughter and have to go rescue him from the cathedral. My character dispenses wisdom to random people along the way for some reason.

The voice acting is good and explanations of what you're supposed to do are reasonably short so you're not sitting there slogging through a bunch of quest text.

** edit **
    You receive your level up spells in a specific order, but there is also a rune system on top of that where you can customize your build to be the way you want it. There's also a crafting system, which I haven't had a chance to touch.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.