Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hints and tips for the new people.

UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I assume there are many many people playing AO rigth now that are fairly new to the game, some hints and tips for you all, in order of importance.

1. NCU, and its corresponding Computer literacy skill, by far and above all your most important items and skill for a long time to come. Max it always, twink as big NCU capsules in as you possibly can. Some tips how to do that. Make CL implant sets, at lower lvls these are not all that expensive to make. Tutoring, an often forgotten skill but imprtant none the less, it lets you use CL tutoring devices and these equal QL/4 in skill gain, meaning a QL 40 CL tutor device will increase your CL with 10 points and so on, migth not seem much but it counts, there are also several weapons that increase CL and a few select pieces of armor. Again, NCU is THE most important thing to be able to take the really big buffs, wich leads to next point.

2. Blitz, blitzing is the art of rolling a bunch of missions in the same general area, all pickup missions and with max money reward and good pickup item. This is the route to financial independence at any lvl. Assuming you followed hint one you should be able to swallow the following buffs.

Speed, Higher the better and given by a fixer.

HOT, heal over time and you need the longer ones also given by fixer, docs have a few to.

Essence, massive HP and STA/STR buffs, given by Enforcer

Reflect shield, can cut all incoming DMG by up to 30%, given by soldier.

Aside from this anything that increases speed and evades and AC that you can fit in.

After this and say 6 rolled missions you should be good for about 30 mins, and have ample time to complete them missions.

3. Clicksaver, I have no adress at this time but just google it. Regardless if you are blitzing or just getting gear for yourself this is an essential tool, get it NOW. :)

4. Implants, do NOT go with the premade implants, allthough somewhat useful making you own sets are wastly superior. Get nanonanny for this, again google that name. Either nano technician or more likely Meta phys can make them implants for you. If you are a caster class then get nano regen clusters from missions if you are able, they do make a difference.

5. Yalmaha, get one ASAP, if you followed above steps and most importantly the blitzing part having one at lvl 50 should by no means be impossible, this is the most game altering item there is, you have not played AO until you have used one. :) ( these can rarely be found as chest loot in missions, I can not really remember now but highest chance of containing one is ql30-49 missions somewere.

6. Token board, it is you neck thing and it will continue to be your most powerful item troughout the game. Try to gain as many tokens as possible in the early levels, if you are clan for example TIR missions stop at lvl 41 and keeping mobs conned while rolling 6 missions in tir and just destroying them will net you tokens pretty fast, try for at least 120 or even 250 tokens before you leave this step, you will NOT regret it.

7. Skills, aside from above mentioned computer literacy there are a few skills essential to everyone, these are.

Map navigation, get this up to 130 or 140 somewere, using implant sets this should be quite easy and managed quite early. Reason for this is that the different map upgrades like monster and players gives you a massive huge tactical advantage, get it.

Treatment and First aid and ( matter crea or timespace, can not rember wich one is on nano recharger ), these are the skills that let you use health rechargers and nano rechargersas well as the different hypos in game, again these things make a HUGE difference for your ability to XP fast by cutting your downtime and surviving figths, and as long you are not the one who are attacked you can use even the rechargers in mid figth.

Ranged Init, melee init and nano init, depending on class you will want to max one or two of these, these cuts down attack time via a quite complicated formula that I will not explain here but again they are essential.

Evades and nanoresist, these are all located under the speed tab, depending on class these go from 100% essential ( evades for fixer ) to not so important, ( duck exp for people who do not do PvP ). These should be pumped up when you have the IP to do so, particularly important for solo people and those who tank somewhat are evade close combat and dodge range. Nanoresist is important for everyone but costly for most people.

Thats it for now, ill expand on this when I get the time now and then. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments

• JelloB2000JelloB2000 Member CommonPosts: 1,848

Great post except that you forgot Nano Nanny for managing implants (does it still work/ is updated though?)

Also yalmas dont drop in missions anymore (or did they change that again?).
    Anyway around level 90-120 with casual play you can afford the lowest ql yalmaha (ql30-31 I think).

3. Clicksaver, I have no adress at this time but just google it. Regardless if you are blitzing or just getting gear for yourself this is an essential tool, get it NOW. :)
    I agree without this you must use major overpriced npc items.

For implants its a bit easier & more expensive to use storebought implants. Look around for implants from other players that have outgrown them. Implant ql should be always 25%-50% higher than your own level.

Dont get stuck doing missions/xp with teams. Why? Becuase you need a "break" to upgrade armor/weapons/nanos/implants.

I use to change implants at level 10,25,50,75,100-130. At level 130-145 you should be in ql 175-200 implants. Around lvl25-50 you SHOULD get implants, cloak & some nanos from Temple of 3 Winds. The best cloak is the best backarmor until level 100(!). 3 winds also has some nice rings.

• ForeverDawnForeverDawn Member Posts: 203

Yo, Umbrood, thanks for the tips, I found them helpful, and missons do and can bring in heaps of money, Right now, Im lvl 43 agent, with only 40k, I've tried making money every kind of way I have thought of.  Nothing works, I've gotten some donations from obviously wealthy players, but that has not been enough, as you can see, i went on many spending bulges, and used up all my money.  Are there any other ways to make money other then quests and selling stuff? and killing stuff? and besides donations? If so (which I doubt) please tell me, Thank you.  If not then i will keep killing stuff and selling stuff and recieving donations from friends.  Good Luck.  Nice.  "...Keep a sharp eye and good hunting for those who play Anarchy Online."-ForeverDawn

imageForeverDawn (name on AO)

It's a philosohy can you figure it out???????  HUH CAN YOU?

imageGwaine (name on AO)

"Understand that friends come and go, but with a precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people who knew you when you were young."

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I did mention nanonanny under point 4. :)

I will add a couple more points.

Implants again: When making them with nanonanny pick 3 abilities, preferably the ones that is your main abils. Failing that try for STA/STR as these are abils that can be massively buffed. If you can afford it make step-up implants, like a set for each ability and one for treatment, this is venturing into the hardoce twinking though and be very time consuming and takes very good knowledge of the buffs that are out there. www.auno.org or www.aodb.info have some basic twink item lists that are very useful. Also many of these twink items, like concrete cushions and treatment rifles are worth a lot of money, if you get them exactly the rigth QL.

Get huge map, www.travel.to/rubi-ka this is essential for my next step.

Rares, if you have the abovementioned hugemap they have the so called dynacamps on them, these have the possibility to drop things ONLY dropped from these, as well as some other rare stuff, at any lvl these can drop things that are worth many many millions. Actually even more so at low lvl as the old people who makes twinks can easily dump 10mill on something they feel even remotely useful. These are also one of the more fun things on rubi-ka, personally I loved dynacamps back in the days.

Do NOT beg, most 100% of the old population, ( these are the people that could buy you and everyone you know a Yalmaha without it denting their wallet ), WILL put you on ignore for it. Most everyone of the old people are very willing to help with information if asked nicely and on more then one occasion I have ended up spending several hours and even more millions twinking the living dayligths out of someone who asked for the way to north TIR outpost or similar. Again most of the old people welcome the opportunity to relive the olden days when the games was new to them via your impressions.

I am not sure yals drop in chests anymore no, so I will not say for certain that they do, maybe they do not. They are in any case so rare as to be nonexsistant there, during my 2-3 years I found 2 yalm and one omni-tek gunship, ( now THAT is rare image )

Understand the money gap, the people with access to SL/AI and that are many lvls above 200 do not really live in the same world. Money does not really mean much then at all, however this does not make them obligated to share that wealth, many will do so spontaneusly though but asking is almost a dead sure way of never getting either money or help, I can not stress it enough, do not beg. :)

For reference I can say that as most I had more money then one character can actually carry ( 1 billion is, or at least were, the caps ), and allthough extremely weatlhy I was no were near the REALLY wealthy ones. The games changes when you need to invest in REALLY expensive items just so you dont have to make money mules.

Well thats it for now.. :)

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.

• templarxtemplarx Member UncommonPosts: 181

Yo, Umbrood, thanks for the tips, I found them helpful, and missons do and can bring in heaps of money, Right now, Im lvl 43 agent, with only 40k, I've tried making money every kind of way I have thought of.

I assume you tried one of the big money making method for agents? i.e. Mission Sneaking?
    My lvl 20 agent has been making -heaps- of money by sneaking in, grabbing an item/repairing/find person [kill person missions do not go well with sneaking usually] and sneaking out. Also, have to make sure you set your mission sliders correctly [i.e. money-xp slider all the way towards money]. And the most money is made the further the location is away from your current location, return item missions even more money. I actually like to travel to a remote location and then ask missions from there to say Rome [or any other area with shops/people nearby] instead of asking in Rome for missions in some remote place like Clondyke. On lvl 20 i easily got 5k per mission [excluding the actual item reward/treasure rewards]. Combined with sneaking this means 30k in a very short time [assuming you took 6 missions in the same location] . Obviously not as fast as so called 'blitzing' but i've found it's alot less 'chaotic' [i.e. huge group of aggros trailing behind you while you try to find the right place], plus you can actually stop and check out treasure chests with those picklocks for additional xp.

Oh and reward goes up with difficulty too, although with sneaking i've found you need to really buff your conceal skill for the high end missions [otherwise you're detected all the time].

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by Umbrood

I assume there are many many people playing AO rigth now that are fairly new to the game, some hints and tips for you all, in order of importance.
    1. NCU, and its corresponding Computer literacy skill, by far and above all your most important items and skill for a long time to come. Max it always, twink as big NCU capsules in as you possibly can. Some tips how to do that. Make CL implant sets, at lower lvls these are not all that expensive to make. Tutoring, an often forgotten skill but imprtant none the less, it lets you use CL tutoring devices and these equal QL/4 in skill gain, meaning a QL 40 CL tutor device will increase your CL with 10 points and so on, migth not seem much but it counts, there are also several weapons that increase CL and a few select pieces of armor. Again, NCU is THE most important thing to be able to take the really big buffs, wich leads to next point.
    2. Blitz, blitzing is the art of rolling a bunch of missions in the same general area, all pickup missions and with max money reward and good pickup item. This is the route to financial independence at any lvl. Assuming you followed hint one you should be able to swallow the following buffs.
    Speed, Higher the better and given by a fixer.
    HOT, heal over time and you need the longer ones also given by fixer, docs have a few to.
    Essence, massive HP and STA/STR buffs, given by Enforcer
    Reflect shield, can cut all incoming DMG by up to 30%, given by soldier.
    Aside from this anything that increases speed and evades and AC that you can fit in.
    After this and say 6 rolled missions you should be good for about 30 mins, and have ample time to complete them missions.
    4. Implants, do NOT go with the premade implants, allthough somewhat useful making you own sets are wastly superior. Get nanonanny for this, again google that name. Either nano technician or more likely Meta phys can make them implants for you. If you are a caster class then get nano regen clusters from missions if you are able, they do make a difference.
    5. Yalmaha, get one ASAP, if you followed above steps and most importantly the blitzing part having one at lvl 50 should by no means be impossible, this is the most game altering item there is, you have not played AO until you have used one. :) ( these can rarely be found as chest loot in missions, I can not really remember now but highest chance of containing one is ql30-49 missions somewere.
    6. Token board, it is you neck thing and it will continue to be your most powerful item troughout the game. Try to gain as many tokens as possible in the early levels, if you are clan for example TIR missions stop at lvl 41 and keeping mobs conned while rolling 6 missions in tir and just destroying them will net you tokens pretty fast, try for at least 120 or even 250 tokens before you leave this step, you will NOT regret it.
    7. Skills, aside from above mentioned computer literacy there are a few skills essential to everyone, these are.

8. Uninstall and go Play WOW.. This game is dead, hence why they are giving it away free basicly....

To bad cause it was a great game untill the devs destroyed it back in late 03 with SHADOWLANDS... DON DON DAH!!!!!

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• templarxtemplarx Member UncommonPosts: 181

8. Uninstall and go Play WOW.. This game is dead, hence why they are giving it away free basicly....

To bad cause it was a great game untill the devs destroyed it back in late 03 with SHADOWLANDS... DON DON DAH!!!!!

Did you click the wrong link? The WOW forum is way at the end of the list on the left. WOW can not compete
    with $15 per month savings, it's not THAT good.

Besides, Shadowlands is not free, most free players will never even see it , so whether it destroyed anything is moot. Most free players will probably stick to their own 'world' and SL/AI people to theirs.

• Originally posted by Tinybina

8. Uninstall and go Play WOW.. This game is dead, hence why they are giving it away free basicly....

To bad cause it was a great game untill the devs destroyed it back in late 03 with SHADOWLANDS... DON DON DAH!!!!!

How old is WoW? How old?

Now how old is AO? How old?

When, and IF, WoW ever reaches the age of AO, come back and see how many players are in WoW. That's IF WoW even survives as long as AO. WoW is a MMORPG also with the majority of players being first time mmorpg players. WoW is having its own scandals, and difficulties right now. And as someone else mentioned, you are on the wrong forum. You no longer play AO, you play WoW. Thus go to the WoW forums. You have been loitering on these AO forums for months and months. Why stay here if you no longer play the game? LOL!

• Originally posted by Umbrood

Map navigation, get this up to 130 or 140 somewere, using implant sets this should be quite easy and managed quite early. Reason for this is that the different map upgrades like monster and players gives you a massive huge tactical advantage, get it.
    Thats it for now, ill expand on this when I get the time now and then. :)

You made a NICE post! But I disagree with telling new players to get up their Map Navigation skill. Well, maybe for the first character they make. Just so they can get a slightly easier time getting a feel for the game. IMHO new players don't have to increase Map Navigation at all. If they need to find shops in cities, ask an uber looking player where it is, then remember. Shop for items in the smaller cities, and posts.

As for being able to see monsters/MOBs. In dungeons just expect a monster to be behind every door and proceed acoordingly. The majority of the time, there WILL be a monster behind every door LOL!

I want to add, that all new players should browse the official AO forums at AnarchyOnline.com

Underwhere it says "communities". Click on the link that says "disccusion and chat". Then "forums/bullitin boards". There are even some NICE new player hints and tips threads.

AO is one of the most revolutionary MMORPGs ever made. Many old, and new, MMORPGs are still copying features from AO.

New players, the first dungeon to check out is "The Subway". It's a large dungeon.

Next one to check out is the NICE dungeon "Temple of the Three Winds". If you can complete it, then you have shed your new player status. image

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Tiny!

Yes I agree they destroyed AO with SL, allthough I still think SL is somewhat good it is severely missplaced in the AO universe and quite frankly makes it a fantasy game, but that is not the point.

No were do i refer to SL, the list of hints and tips would be wastly different then as most of them do not apply to SL. This list is for pure AO on rubi-ka, wich imho is still one of the best and not least revolutionairy games out there.

And as to map navig, I do emphasize everyone to take it still. :)

It makes blitzing a whole lot easier, it is pretty much a requirment to sucessfully do dynacamps and get clean pulls to bring them camps apart and down to a managable amount of mobs.

It will cost you something in the area of 3-4k IP or so, you raise it to 70-80 and implant the rest and it is by far the most bang per buck you get for any skill.

Also if you later do PvP the side upgrade will again provide a huge tactical advantage, this comes in at 450 map nav though so no rush but once you can fit ql 200 implants in, ( around lvl 100-110 or so with some work ) you will get 200 from implants alone.

Remember though that map navig is the one skill you can not reset.

Furthermore, should you decide to get SL later on the maps there are nanos wich you cast on yerself and that last for an hour or so, these nanos requires map navig as well. 

• ZyrenaZyrena Member UncommonPosts: 91

Thank you for posting this.  My husband and I are playing AO again and have opted to stick with the original (free) version for the time being.  We also got one of our friends (who was addicted to EQ for about 5 years straight) to come and play and he says it's one of the best MMO's he's ever encountered.  Of course I told him it was one of the best before he even tried it!

You gave some really great tips in here and I'll have to tell my friend to come read this post.  There's only so much I can try to explain to him on the phone and on the game.  (Think he's going to just have to come to the house for a crash training in AO).

Again, great post!  Thanks for the tips that even I had forgotten about!

• IvanRashnuIvanRashnu Member Posts: 178

Good post Umbrood, thank you ::::28::

Originally posted by Tinybina

8. Uninstall and go Play WOW.. This game is dead, hence why they are giving it away free basicly....

To bad cause it was a great game untill the devs destroyed it back in late 03 with SHADOWLANDS... DON DON DAH!!!!!

Oh, this kind of guys..I'm really fed up of telling you you can't earn anything at all by posting like that..D'you think those posts make you so clever? I don't know what your motives are.. You come and post a harsh message, create a quarrel, sit back and watch.. For a few weeks, I've observed someone really loves that, even harrassing the fans is one of their hobbies they like the most..

This category is for AO players.. You don't have to come here and post..

Hopefully, the new players don't go by the remarks of them and try the game themselves

Regards

• sog3nsog3n Member Posts: 40

lol e z killa, u dont have to get excited, there are choke differences between both games

"Touch me. I'm hawt!"

Old(est?) money earning: Buying a full medic suit & sell to people (for implanting) that are clan/neutral.(Clans didnt have medic suits last time I played).

"Blitzing" for nanos that are mission reward only (ma crit nanos is one I think).

Can also do easy team missions for killing the boss (usually other people look for others to "pull" team missions to do solo).

Grid armor for fixer used to be the best drop ever (saw grid2 & 3 get taken by ninja looters in team ::::26:: ).

Do the 3 winds complex: back armor, rings, ncu belt from "doggie boss", mems from basement boss, implants. These last for a looooong time. Team heal nano quest for ma is good also since its only time lock, no nano nedeed.

Some have characters at a certain level for pulling certain ql:s....(ql 10 +str,+stm concrete cushions & the ql 10 +int pistols).

• NashNash Member Posts: 1

Good tips all, thank you!!

A few questions thou, after subway im supposed to go to the "Temple of the Three Winds" or something like that, located in Tir which is clan territory, being an Omni my arsch gets kicked by gigantor guards everytime i portal there, so it kinda feels like im lost at the moment??

So basically what i need to know is, am i supposed to, as an Omni, go to the "Temple of Three Winds" or somewhere else, who do i have to talk to to get inside the Temple if that is where i am supposed to go, how do i find that character/thing?

aargh...

Couldnt someone just make a list of the basic path to follow...

1. Subway, do nothing just go inside!

2. ???, do this and this

3. ???, you get the point

imageimage 

Originally posted by Nash
    Good tips all, thank you!!
    A few questions thou, after subway im supposed to go to the "Temple of the Three Winds"...

Portal in omni is in rome (green I think). No way back but thruu death for omni. For subway each faction has there "own" subway.

• smurfinaussmurfinaus Member Posts: 3

Temple of Three Winds - easiest and safest way to neutrals is to go via the Grid to Rome, then head left to rome green and use the portal through that way.It is a one way portal though - warning, neutrals and omni have a long run homeimage