Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2: all servers to go f2p 12/06/2011, livegamer gone

NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

12/06 is also when the Age of Discovery expansion goes live

if you ever played EQ2, you will be considered a Silver member by default

http://eq2wire.com/2011/11/10/everquest-ii-producers-letter-eq2-fully-goes-free-to-play-livegamer-gone/

Membership and Pricing Changes

There will no longer be an up-front fee for downloading and installing the game. You no longer have to buy the software in order to use it, and game content through the Sentinel’s Fate expansion will be available to all players without charge. You simply download, and then launch and play the game for free.

Last year, we created a successful, but separate, “free to play” service for EQII called “EverQuest II: Extended” (EQ2X). However, now that all servers are becoming free-to-play, we are combining both services together and EverQuest II (including the EQ2X servers) will operate as a single game with a single membership structure.

The new membership structure for EverQuest II is simpler and easier to understand than the one we used previously, and we’ve adjusted the model so that Gold members in EverQuest II will get everything that current EQII subscribers do currently.

Here are the differences between the new EverQuest II membership model and the prior EQ2X membership model:

• Gold membership in EverQuest II will provide access to all races and classes (except the Freeblood race and the Beastlord class) and is identical in all ways to the current subscription status on EQII Live servers.

• The free membership level will be called “Free” instead of “Bronze.”

• Silver membership now costs 500 Station Cash instead of 1,000 Station Cash. (If you purchased a Silver membership in EverQuest II: Extended within the 60 days before the launch of this change, 500 Station Cash will be refunded to your Station Wallet.)

• Players can no longer purchase a Platinum membership. Existing Platinum memberships will continue until they expire.

• A matrix showing the details of the three new EverQuest II membership levels – Free, Silver, and Gold – is available here: (insert link)

FAQ

new member matrix

more clarifications

ZAM returning player "free to play" FAQ

Comments

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

I wonder if like, they put all this time and effort and work, into EQ2 Extended and they were like, o crap - NO ONE is playing past level 10, eeeewwwps. O CRAP Vanguard is going F2P, CoH went F2P and even WoW is free up to level 20. EQ1 is more lucrative anyway, lets just make EQ2 F2P like we should have in the first place - gg SOE (everytime, *sigh*)

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I started playing again last week and rolled a toon in EQ2x. Now I'm in two minds as to either carry on with my newbies, or hang on for a bit (with Skyrim to (hopefully) entertain me) and return to AB.

Decisions, decisions.....

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Joshua69

I wonder if like, they put all this time and effort and work, into EQ2 Extended and they were like, o crap - NO ONE is playing past level 10, eeeewwwps.

contrary to your opinion,

EQ2X server has a significant number of high level players

last summers world event,  Wiz spire rebuidling

http://eq2wire.com/2011/07/23/freeport-eq2x-server-completes-spire-rebuilding-in-17-hours/

EQ2X was 1st server to finish this event - an event that required buying the latest expansion to participate

the event took place in zones that were level 85+

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

Originally posted by Nadia

Originally posted by Joshua69

I wonder if like, they put all this time and effort and work, into EQ2 Extended and they were like, o crap - NO ONE is playing past level 10, eeeewwwps.

contrary to your opinion,

EQ2X server has a significant number of high level players

last summers world event,  Wiz spire rebuidling

http://eq2wire.com/2011/07/23/freeport-eq2x-server-completes-spire-rebuilding-in-17-hours/

EQ2X was 1st server to finish this event - an event that required buying the latest expansion to participate

the event took place in zones that were level 85+

well, im glad im wrong then, I like the EQ franchise, i just loathe SOE. perhaps the problem was then it worked TO good, and to many people are on the F2P insead

• RexNebularRexNebular Member Posts: 259

If I can roll a dwarf paladin without any up-front fees, then count me in.

If not, then middle finger to you, SOE.

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541

Everytime I have gone back to EQ2 there are always large numbers of players on. I don't understand were people get the idea thet either EQ2 or EQ2X doesn't have people playing at all levels.

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

Originally posted by RexNebular

If I can roll a dwarf paladin without any up-front fees, then count me in.

If not, then middle finger to you, SOE.

I guess soe gets the finger from you

one of the things I dont like about the conversion is the trial will be discontinued

- thats means players cannot try the nonfree classes without buying them first  (or subbing)

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

Let me Play Frog Man Ranger or no deal. The current set up is your choice of three human races with different hairstyles and a few of the most lame classes.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by Faelsun

Let me Play Frog Man Ranger or no deal. The current set up is your choice of three human races with different hairstyles and a few of the most lame classes.

Untrue, the classes they offer for free are all excellent, though the Warlock is the hardest out of the bunch to play well.

The offered races might be mainly humans, but each one is very different, with different lores, languages, racial traits, etc. And most people on Live even have one of those races and/or classes.

Good luck on dictating to SOE what deals they offer you as a free player.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

the free class of Guardian is recognized as a great raid tank

Beserkers (and SKs) are recognized as the best self healing AE tanks

Wizards and Warlocks - nothing lame about these casting nukers

Brigands / Swashbucklers - never heard people calling these scouts lame

Inquisitors / Templars - all of EQ2's healers are well balanced,  these are not inferior choices

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

Originally posted by MurlockDance

Untrue, the classes they offer for free are all excellent, though the Warlock is the hardest out of the bunch to play well.

The offered races might be mainly humans, but each one is very different, with different lores, languages, racial traits, etc. And most people on Live even have one of those races and/or classes.

Good luck on dictating to SOE what deals they offer you as a free player.

Lore, you mean meaningless fluff, EQ2 insn't worth paying a montly fee just to get race selection, it hasn't been worth the money they were asking for in a long time. And the races you get LORE or not lol are just humans with different names and bonuses. Thats the same reason D@D online didn't do well lame human classes and some stupid golem critter.

• Rusty715Rusty715 Member Posts: 482

Originally posted by Dedthom

Everytime I have gone back to EQ2 there are always large numbers of players on. I don't understand were people get the idea thet either EQ2 or EQ2X doesn't have people playing at all levels.

This. I cant speak of the free servers but AB has always  had a good population. I will say that it is a bit top heavy but any game this old is bound ot be so. F2P killed any desire I have to ever  return to the game. Just to get in before the F2P fanbois, I will add, yes I know, for every one of us that never return, there will be 100's who create an account.

Really? This game sucks and Im not having fun? Im going to unsub right now. Thanks for the tip.

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541

Originally posted by MurlockDance

Snip

Snip

Lore, you mean meaningless fluff, EQ2 insn't worth paying a montly fee just to get race selection, it hasn't been worth the money they were asking for in a long time. And the races you get LORE or not lol are just humans with different names and bonuses. Thats the same reason D@D online didn't do well lame human classes and some stupid golem critter.

Anytime someone post a statement like this the child like wonder of the world dies ever so slightly.

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• RazeronRazeron Member Posts: 180

Short Human

Tall Human

Fat Human

Alcholic Human

Human with pointy ears

Dead Human

I still like my freeblood though.

She's hot.

updated my first post with this link

more clarifications on the merger

http://eq2wire.com/2011/11/19/eq2-free-to-play-a-few-details-and-clarifications/

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

thanks for the link

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Perhaps I remember wrong.

But there is an gold limit, something like max 1 plat fro the free to play players.

If I would cancel my subscription and then log in, will I have lost the amount of goold above 1 platinum?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

Originally posted by Orphes

But there is an gold limit, something like max 1 plat fro the free to play players.

If I would cancel my subscription and then log in, will I have lost the amount of goold above 1 platinum?

there is a plat limit for silver members, 50g per level, max of 18plat at 90

if you exceed that limit because you used to be a subscriber, you dont lose any gold

but you wont be able to carry any gold beyond what you already have

more clarifications

if you have no sub and are wearing legendary/fabled gear (as a returning player)

your gear will pop off as soon as you log into your character

you will need to either find different gear or buy a set of unlockers  (5 for 1.50) so you can wear fabled/legendary

EQ2 level cap is 90

all returning players w no sub will be treated as silver members

you will have access to most quest content allowing you reach level 90  (except DOV and AOD)

DOV did not raise the level cap, but its where all the high end gaming is happening

DOV is also the only way to quest for a flying mount at level 86+

you cannot quest in DOV unless you are 86+ and the expansion offers nothing to players under 85

AOD is not adding any adventure content, but if you want to play a beastlord, will need to buy it

AOD info

http://eq2wire.com/2011/09/23/everquest-ii-age-of-discovery-2-months-to-go/

lastly, if you do sub, you also earn 5.00 SC credit each month

• bobblerbobbler Member UncommonPosts: 810

AOD is not adding any adventure content, but if you want to play a beastlord, will need to buy it

but if you want to play a beastlord

play a beastlord

beastlord

FUARRRKKKKKK. I might just re-install to play BL.

servers are not available yet but EQ2 forums are up

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/forums/list.m?category_id=1

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

server merges
    # Blackburrow merged into Everfrost ----- Completed Dec 8, 2010
    # Najena merged into Unrest --------------- Completed Dec 14, 2010
    # Kithicor merged into Butcherblock ------- Completed Dec 16, 2010
    # Mistmoore merged into Permafrost ----- Completed Dec 16, 2010
    # Befallen merged into Oasis --------------- Completed Dec 20, 2010
    # Nektulos merged into Guk ---------------- Completed Dec 20, 2010
    # Nexus merged into Barren Sky (RU) ----- Completed Jan 25, 2011
    # Runnyeye merged into Splitpaw (UK) --- Completed Feb 4, 2011
    # Innovation merged into Valor (German) - Completed Feb 8, 2011
    # Lucan D'Lere merged into Crushbone ---- Completed Feb 16, 2011

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

more clarifications

if you have no sub and are wearing legendary/fabled gear (as a returning player)

your gear will pop off as soon as you log into your character

you will need to either find different gear or buy a set of unlockers  (5 for 1.50) so you can wear fabled/legendary

EQ2 level cap is 90

all returning players w no sub will be treated as silver members

you will have access to most quest content allowing you reach level 90  (except DOV and AOD)

DOV did not raise the level cap, but its where all the high end gaming is happening

DOV is also the only way to quest for a flying mount at level 86+

you cannot quest in DOV unless you are 86+ and the expansion offers nothing to players under 85

AOD info

http://eq2wire.com/2011/09/23/everquest-ii-age-of-discovery-2-months-to-go/

lastly, if you do sub, you also earn 5.00 SC credit each month

Well I wanted to log in until I read this.  What about if your character already has expert/master level skills?