Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In development not playing still will fail?

Some game I have not played and still in development might have graphics/gameplay/players/pvp/colors I don't know that I will like so I think it will fail.

There seems to be a lot of these type of threads.

Comments

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

Originally posted by doho7744

Some game I have not played and still in development might have graphics/gameplay/players/pvp/colors I don't know that I will like so I think it will fail.

People speculate on games all of the time. You tend to have more speculation on ones that give out limited information than you do with ones that are reasonably open.  Funcom like to trickle feed information, which I find quite amusing.  Because it may lead to debate and conjecture but most of the time, as far as Funcom are concerned, it's not overly positive.  I am sure if they took a different tact and explained more about the game itself people would at least think the Funcom of old has changed.  It would be a positive move. But like the farce with announcing the beta that isn't happening any time soon.  They like to play games and more often than not end up shooting themselves in the foot.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by fallenlords

People speculate on games all of the time. You tend to have more speculation on ones that give out limited information than you do with ones that are reasonably open.  Funcom like to trickle feed information, which I find quite amusing.  Because it may lead to debate and conjecture but most of the time, as far as Funcom are concerned, it's not overly positive.  I am sure if they took a different tact and explained more about the game itself people would at least think the Funcom of old has changed.  It would be a positive move. But like the farce with announcing the beta that isn't happening any time soon.  They like to play games and more often than not end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Yeah, that beta 'event' was a big let down. 'Sign up as many people as you can on Facebook!' is not an event, nor is it any sort of preparation for a game. Had they given something to do beyond the initial Facebook signup, it would probably have been awesome. Alas, that was not the case.

That doesn't mean the game is going to fail though...just that their first attempt at generating interest through a 'beta signup' was terribly lame.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by lizardbones

Yeah, that beta 'event' was a big let down. 'Sign up as many people as you can on Facebook!' is not an event, nor is it any sort of preparation for a game. Had they given something to do beyond the initial Facebook signup, it would probably have been awesome. Alas, that was not the case.

That doesn't mean the game is going to fail though...just that their first attempt at generating interest through a 'beta signup' was terribly lame.

They are supposed to have a Phase 2, where there will be more to do.  But I dont think anyone, myself included, expected the wait between that signup and actual things to do to be so long.  

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Welcome to speculation. Fanboys will hold a rotting corpse in denial that its alive while haters will bash a golden statue with a metal bat in belief that its just a statue of mud. 

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

While the FB beta related event/game/app's failure happened due to the 3rd party company hired to develop that FB app screwing that up majorly (it even seems like FC is developing the app again, no word on the matter, tho) still it happened under FC watch.  I dunno how FB apps ev work, but finding out the guys you hired to make the app failed to create an application that works... by launch day it's quite a bad thing, they should have tested it properly before attempting a launch. 

That said, i have no idea what actually went wrong, only that it was bad enough that we still don't have the application running, and that it appears it's been re-developed.   I don't remember what company was in charge of that, but for sure i wouldn't hire them at all after this.  And FC should be VERY careful with things like this, people won't remember that a company failed to deliver the product FC hired them to make, but that FC announced something and it didn't happen, and still has not happened.

Nothing much has changed at Funcom then by all accounts.

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

Nothing much has changed at Funcom then by all accounts.

Oh, no... they are just avoiding the over-hyping machine, they are working on the game instead of boasting about it, they have published a game for another company with no troubles at all and are ready to present the game, hands-on to the press since a few weeks ago, and preparing to open it to beta testers without NDA (that's what their open beta phase means) some 3-5 months prior to launch...

The development and PR fot TSW has been WAY different from that of AoC, saying nothing has changed much would be a fallacy.

The FB beta app thing being bad, but nothing really telling, as it simply is a FB app that has no real ties with the game and beta applications have been open both tho those willing to participate in the FB thing and those that aren't.  It is, however, a call of attention to FC: they don't just have to be careful about the work they themselves are doing, but the work done by others, like the company that was developing the FB app (that's not related with the actual game) and those working on the marketing (EA).

Originally posted by Gargola

Oh, no... they are just avoiding the over-hyping machine, they are working on the game instead of boasting about it, they have published a game for another company with no troubles at all and are ready to present the game, hands-on to the press since a few weeks ago, and preparing to open it to beta testers without NDA (that's what their open beta phase means) some 3-5 months prior to launch...

The development and PR fot TSW has been WAY different from that of AoC, saying nothing has changed much would be a fallacy.

The FB beta app thing being bad, but nothing really telling, as it simply is a FB app that has no real ties with the game and beta applications have been open both tho those willing to participate in the FB thing and those that aren't.  It is, however, a call of attention to FC: they don't just have to be careful about the work they themselves are doing, but the work done by others, like the company that was developing the FB app (that's not related with the actual game) and those working on the marketing (EA).

So you haven't noticed yet that very little is the fault of Funcom.   Lag, latency - issues with the server farm provider.   Bad launch of AOC, pressured into it by the publisher.  Graphics issues - down to the card manufacturer.   At what point do they actually take any responsibility?

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by Gargola

So you haven't noticed yet that very little is the fault of Funcom.   Lag, latency - issues with the server farm provider.   Bad launch of AOC, pressured into it by the publisher.  Graphics issues - down to the card manufacturer.   At what point do they actually take any responsibility?

well after I read they would put a sub and cash shop on the game I simple turn my back to this game and i'm not following it anymore, I also know other people did the same, so the hype meter is low and the number of peeps will not be the same anymore. you can't hope for a bigger launch for this game anymore

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

Originally posted by alkarionlog

well after I read they would put a sub and cash shop on the game I simple turn my back to this game and i'm not following it anymore, I also know other people did the same, so the hype meter is low and the number of peeps will not be the same anymore. you can't hope for a bigger launch for this game anymore

I can't see it being sub based, just recently Star Trek Online announced it's going free to play and WoW has lost nearly a million subs. To all intents and purpose the MMO industry looks to be in a bit of free fall at the moment.   Not probably helped by the world economy.   I think they would have to be nuts to launch a sub model unless the current climate changes dramatically. 

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Or "that new game might beat the game I'm currently playing which is now in trouble with subs/people getting bored, so I'll post I don't like that coming game" troll threads.

Those are REALLY popular.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Originally posted by popinjay

Or "that new game might beat the game I'm currently playing which is now in trouble with subs/people getting bored, so I'll post I don't like that coming game" troll threads.

Those are REALLY popular.

Yep, its kind of sad.

I self identify as a monkey.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

being eager is time waster and fail, waiting endlessly something to happen in early beta phases is fail,

buying a game when its released and playing it then is success.

beta testing as it is nowadays is lame, players go play the new shny game forget they are beta testing and most cases end up whining from devs to keep their characters minority report any bugs or test the possible bugs even. majortiy just plays the game trying to reach as high as possible and then boast.

so even tho this game had my intrests and been closed beta tested many games before i can say my opinion about the issue.

and facebook signup prolly the lamest so far in history.

cheers

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Originally posted by Purutzil

Welcome to speculation. Fanboys will hold a rotting corpse in denial that its alive while haters will bash a golden statue with a metal bat in belief that its just a statue of mud. 

But sadly this time the Golden statue Is realy made out of MUD. I liked your explanation on whats happening though, its very accurate, But As I am a hater I have to hold on to the belife that this time The GOld statue is really made out of MUD. And I do have statistics on my side...

This game has a 33,3% chans of being okey and a 66,6% chans to fail, going by the track record of fumbled Releases by funcom in the past. Its probably wrong to put it that way but HEY I like to think of it like that... In my mind though I know that this game has a 99,9% chans of FAIL, I just know it..... :)

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Zlayer77

But sadly this time the Golden statue Is realy made out of MUD. I liked your explanation on whats happening though, its very accurate, But As I am a hater I have to hold on to the belife that this time The GOld statue is really made out of MUD. And I do have statistics on my side...

This game has a 33,3% chans of being okey and a 66,6% chans to fail, going by the track record of fumbled Releases by funcom in the past. Its probably wrong to put it that way but HEY I like to think of it like that... In my mind though I know that this game has a 99,9% chans of FAIL, I just know it..... :)

This post has a 50% chance to be garbage and pull numbers out of its ass.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

I'm personally stoked for TSW. Funcom had a rough time with AoC but I hope they learned some lessons and applied them here to ensure TSW is fully polished and ready at launch. I'm mostly excited that TSW is a break from the norm with a folklore/mythology twist on the real world and a much needed break from Orcs and Elves. A "classless" system also appeals to me and I hope there take is a little more diverse than Rift's. For the people who are already hating, well, haters gunna hate.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

I dont know if it will fail, but I see more and more monsters and less and less mystery in this game. :/

• 69Cuda69Cuda Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by marinrider

They are supposed to have a Phase 2, where there will be more to do.  But I dont think anyone, myself included, expected the wait between that signup and actual things to do to be so long.  

Yeah kinda like AOC's phase 2 so you had something to do in game ....only took what? 2 years to make it playable.

And the clicking on facebook was part of the mystery... you know go to this new facebook page and sign your name on the ledger and new and wonderful things can happen to you maybe.

There see I can be a dev at failcom - now send me money.

• DexterMMODexterMMO Member Posts: 484

I agree the game is still in development, no official beta test going that I know of, it has Graphics, Gameplay, Players who are interested, some PvP elements and colors... so it very well may fail.

Everything I say is my opinion or personal preference. You may or may not find it useful to your cause but regardless I am entitled to it.

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

While I liked AoC and played for 8 months after launch Failcom to this date is still doing a horrible job on that game. While a lot has been fixed since launch AoC is still pretty buggy. I have been playing there for the last few months on the Deathwish server. They still have the group bug where you enter into a minigame and you come out and your still in group with no way of how to leave.

Failcom will release this game just as buggy and it will go the way AoC did. This company for some reason seems to lack competant management as well as developers.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by Zlayer77

This post has a 50% chance to be garbage and pull numbers out of its ass.

50% of the time that works every time.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.