Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did Aion just beat SWTOR and WOW?

13

Comments

  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,715

    Originally posted by Renoaku

    Aion had pretty nice graphics, and I really did like this game until NC Soft started doing lame things like adding pets for real money, Banned my account for 3 days with no proof of any real money trade wiped all my gold which was only like 3 mil or sumthing and said I bought gold, and then on top of this they even made it worse by charing real money for editing, or changing an appearance of a character.

    Aion was a great game, it could have been much more, sure they could increase the spell effects make it look better, they have an area above the herion gate looks like crap textures so it needs some rotates/repeats to make it loook better thats abotu all I saw.

    The game map itself in the city needs to be better placed on NPC's telling people exactly where such NPCs are such as sellers of clothing of fashion, armor, and weapons not scattered all around like they did it.

    Overall Aion Could have been a great game, but NC Soft got greedy and because of their greed, and stupid mistakes with that RMT thing I quit their game, I refuse to pay $16 a month for a game when they add pets to give people who pay more an unfair advantage over those who don't, and I refuse to pay when I can't have full control over my game when I can't customize my character any time I please for free.

    The next best MMO will more than likely be Tera, or Rift, we will have to wait and see what decisions rift goes, but there have already been some debates about Trion getting a cash shop, over all I like what Sony has done on their new release of making DCUO a F2P game, they give you the option to use a cash shop, but they do not require you pay pay anything beyond a monthly fee which gets you 16 Character Slots, and you can customize your character as much as you like. I do not like greedy companies like NC Soft, nor will I be a part of such by paying the pig money.

    SWTOR, I am not even going to buy the game myself, I will wait for a trial or a good deal before I even buy the game it just looks really boring to me like possibly SWTOR will be like City OF Heroes, and I really do not like that type of game play. I am looking for more action play like Tera, or DCUO, not a game where you just mash buttons, or a game without Nextgen graphics and fail looking armors like Age OF Conan, which AOC could have been a great game too but they ruined that for me, and I was really shocked after I bought that game and it was not even like I had seen in their movie trailers.

    WOW, I really dont know about WOW, they ruined the game for me, if I wanted to play wow, I would go play Runes OF Magic, because it is free, I can twink my character and do as I please, and most of all they dont tell me how I can and can't use my talents like Blizzard did, and they do not constantly nerf things bad like blizzard at least from my experience. But I can say that Aion could have been better than wow.

    The new Aion, will be called Tera Online, we will see how their game works out on release and if they ruin it like NC Soft with a cash shop too, and charge people real money to customize characters I wont play it.

    The current best F2P  games I can think of off the top of my head will be.

    1. Global Agenda

    2. Tribes Ascend

    3. Runes OF Magic

    4. Fire Fall

    5. DC Universe Online

    6. Dust514 <-- mite not be F2P

    I've played both.  ToR >>>>>>>>>>>>>Rift.  ToR will at least be the second most popular game in the Western market and it's revenue will at least rival that of all the non-WoW Western games combined.

    image
  • popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539


    Originally posted by Renoaku

    1. Global Agenda

    Egads. I can't believe you put Global Agenda on the list as #1, and didn't even put Planetside 2 (a three faction PvP game) on the list at all.

    /shocked

  • Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

    Originally posted by DerWotan

    Originally posted by Vorthanion

    I wish to any mythical god in heaven that they would please stop trying to port eastern game design into the western market.  It's a complete waste of time and energy and it pollutes the western market as far as I'm concerned.

     

    I hope to god they will continue doing it so people that like challenge and great graphics are sitll having something to play. While all the "westernize (dumb down) everything" crowd still has their western games to play. 

     

    Good lord, elitist much?  Please explain to me what exactly is so challenging about grinding your way to level cap?  It's not difficult...it's mindless.  If that's the type of game you prefer, I'm not sure that you should be puffing your chest out quite so proudly.   Anyone that actually thinks Aion is anything more than a dumbed down themepark MMO is deluding themselves.  It just happens to be frustrating and grindy, IN ADDITION to being dumbed down.  

     

     

  • DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

    Originally posted by Biggus99

    Originally posted by DerWotan


    Originally posted by Vorthanion

     

     

    I hope to god they will continue doing it so people that like challenge and great graphics are sitll having something to play. While all the "westernize (dumb down) everything" crowd still has their western games to play. 

     

    Good lord, elitist much?  Please explain to me what exactly is so challenging about grinding your way to level cap?  It's not difficult...it's mindless.  If that's the type of game you prefer, I'm not sure that you should be puffing your chest out quite so proudly.   Anyone that actually thinks Aion is anything more than a dumbed down themepark MMO is deluding themselves.  It just happens to be frustrating and grindy, IN ADDITION to being dumbed down.  

     

     

    Nope just a guy prefering to sit down with some other people killing elite mobs instead of playing Douglas Hefferman for some lazy heroic NPC who can't kill 10 rats by himself so hes aksing you but I agree Aion could be so much better (housing, AAs top of my list) and personally I like grindy games so maybe we agree to disagree?

    So you can play your game while I play my games win-win?!

    I'm playing my character for hours and hours so I prefer pretty graphics instead of cartoonish spongy looks. 

    We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

    "Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

  • Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

    Originally posted by DerWotan

    Originally posted by Biggus99


    Originally posted by DerWotan


    Originally posted by Vorthanion

     

     

    I hope to god they will continue doing it so people that like challenge and great graphics are sitll having something to play. While all the "westernize (dumb down) everything" crowd still has their western games to play. 

     

    Good lord, elitist much?  Please explain to me what exactly is so challenging about grinding your way to level cap?  It's not difficult...it's mindless.  If that's the type of game you prefer, I'm not sure that you should be puffing your chest out quite so proudly.   Anyone that actually thinks Aion is anything more than a dumbed down themepark MMO is deluding themselves.  It just happens to be frustrating and grindy, IN ADDITION to being dumbed down.  

     

     

    Nope just a guy prefering to sit down with some other people killing elite mobs instead of playing Douglas Hefferman for some lazy heroic NPC who can't kill 10 rats by himself so hes aksing you but I agree Aion could be so much better (housing, AAs top of my list) and personally I like grindy games so maybe we agree to disagree?

    So you can play your game while I play my games win-win?!

    I'm playing my character for hours and hours so I prefer pretty graphics instead of cartoonish spongy looks. 

     

    Yeah, I have no issues with any of that.  I just took issue with the whole "Aion is challenging" point of view.  I played it, and personally found it no more challenging than any other themepark MMO, but to each his own.  And I prefer realistic graphics to cartoony as well, but cartoony isn't a deal-breaker to me as long as the game has substance and content to keep me interested.  But yeah, to each his own.  

  • DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

    Originally posted by Biggus99

     Yeah, I have no issues with any of that.  I just took issue with the whole "Aion is challenging" point of view.  I played it, and personally found it no more challenging than any other themepark MMO, but to each his own.  And I prefer realistic graphics to cartoony as well, but cartoony isn't a deal-breaker to me as long as the game has substance and content to keep me interested.  But yeah, to each his own.  

     

    Agreed when I'm writting Aion is more challenging I'm talking about things like:

    dungeon crawling, big group mobs (the raid mob in Gelkmarros is one tough customer) and the overall AI of some of the point and elite mobs is much higher compared to some other games but you are right at its core its just another themepark.

     

    We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

    "Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,734

    Aion - Never played.

    WoW - Played Beta only.

    SWTOR - Never played.

     

    Congrats on your victory!

     

  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

    Aion = number 1 in disappointment

    All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

    I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

    I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

    I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

  • PocahinhaPocahinha Member UncommonPosts: 550

    Aion bigest problem is: ITS ASIAN

     

    Art style makes my eyes bleed...and my ears bleed with the ingame sounds of spells and chars screaming.

  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

    Originally posted by JonathanWe

    it's funny to see that people say that Aion has failed:P

    The game is doing quite well actually, much better then other MMO's that have been released the las couple of years.

    there are enough players, so the game is far from dead, and NCSOFT seems to make enough money on it to keep it up and running...

    And no I'm not playing, the game is quite bad IMO, but my gf play everyday, and she never has any problem what so ever to find people to play with.

    However, WoW is still a more popular and successful game, and I doubt Aion will beat SWTOR when it gets released.

     

    but Aion never failed. (IMO)

     

    It's not really a matter of opinion.  Aion has done better than the vast majority of other subscriptions MMOs, especially when you consider how long its been around.  A much newer and relatively successful game like Rift might have done better at first, but has already fallen behind in subscription numbers.  I think it could even be argued that it's second to only WoW, but with all the complexities of MMO revenue, it'd be debatable at best.  But still, that it's even debatable shows just how far from being a failure the game has been.

     

    When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

  • AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

    Aion and WOW are fantasy whilst SWTOR is scifi.

  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

    Originally posted by caremuchless

    In Grinding #1

    Name a game that doesn't involve grinding. Yeah thats right, you can't, because no matter how you 'shape it' what your doing in every single MMo your play is one form or another of grinding. 

  • KoyotiKoyoti Member Posts: 24

    Originally posted by Vhaln

    Originally posted by JonathanWe

    it's funny to see that people say that Aion has failed:P

    The game is doing quite well actually, much better then other MMO's that have been released the las couple of years.

    there are enough players, so the game is far from dead, and NCSOFT seems to make enough money on it to keep it up and running...

    And no I'm not playing, the game is quite bad IMO, but my gf play everyday, and she never has any problem what so ever to find people to play with.

    However, WoW is still a more popular and successful game, and I doubt Aion will beat SWTOR when it gets released.

     

    but Aion never failed. (IMO)

     

    It's not really a matter of opinion.  Aion has done better than the vast majority of other subscriptions MMOs, especially when you consider how long its been around.  A much newer and relatively successful game like Rift might have done better at first, but has already fallen behind in subscription numbers.  I think it could even be argued that it's second to only WoW, but with all the complexities of MMO revenue, it'd be debatable at best.  But still, that it's even debatable shows just how far from being a failure the game has been.

     

    True.

  • MmoSwanMmoSwan Member Posts: 134

    Originally posted by Biggus99

    Originally posted by Kopogero


    Originally posted by caremuchless

    In Grinding #1

    Depends for what you are grinding. WOW offers achivement/title heavy grind.

     

    That kind of grind isn't mandatory though.  If you decide not to partake in that grind, you lose nothing.  The kind of grind in Aion is forced on you, because it is a grind for levels.  You have no choice but to deal with it.

    The "grind" for levels isn't much of a grind anymore. Actually it's a total joke compared to the hardcore item grind which is completely RNG ruled.

    || Languages for gamers: http://gamerslingo.com
    /where God
    ERROR: Target could not be found
    /target Believer
    /skill science
    You missed your target since Believer ignores science
    /skill logic
    You missed your target since Believer traded all his INT for faith.

  • adennadenn Member Posts: 13

    I canceled swtor preorder and unsub'd wow after seeing player housing. never played aion, but has good reviews, good lore, and great graphics. Cant wait for the dl to finish lol

  • oxydeoxyde Member UncommonPosts: 35

    Originally posted by adenn

    I canceled swtor preorder and unsub'd wow after seeing player housing. never played aion, but has good reviews, good lore, and great graphics. Cant wait for the dl to finish lol

    Next up is that moment of regret realizing you just gave up your early access all for shiny housing that may or may not be any good.   Enjoy the level grind and asian theme though.  image

  • MmoSwanMmoSwan Member Posts: 134

    Originally posted by oxyde

    Originally posted by adenn

    I canceled swtor preorder and unsub'd wow after seeing player housing. never played aion, but has good reviews, good lore, and great graphics. Cant wait for the dl to finish lol

    Next up is that moment of regret realizing you just gave up your early access all for shiny housing that may or may not be any good.   Enjoy the level grind and asian theme though.  image

    What the hell are you talking about? There's no level grind in Aion anymore. A friend of mine did 47-55 in a single week and those are the levels that take the longest. I rerolled a sorc and did 1-20 on first day, 21-28 on second and 29-32 on third day.

    As written above, there's an brutal RNG grind after you reached max level but to get to max level is really easy these days.

    || Languages for gamers: http://gamerslingo.com
    /where God
    ERROR: Target could not be found
    /target Believer
    /skill science
    You missed your target since Believer ignores science
    /skill logic
    You missed your target since Believer traded all his INT for faith.

  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

    Originally posted by Biggus99

    Originally posted by Slowdoves


    Originally posted by Biggus99


    Originally posted by Kopogero


    Originally posted by caremuchless

    In Grinding #1

    Depends for what you are grinding. WOW offers achivement/title heavy grind.

     

    That kind of grind isn't mandatory though.  If you decide not to partake in that grind, you lose nothing.  The kind of grind in Aion is forced on you, because it is a grind for levels.  You have no choice but to deal with it.

     

     

    The grind is not that bad at all! Not like it use to be.

     

    I realize the grind has improved quite a bit from release, but it's still pretty grind-heavy compared to other AAA titles out there.  

    Hate to say it but now a days if it takes more than 30-60 mins to earn a level people whine that its a grind. Course I am exagerating. but really if it takes longer than a lv in wow, most people whine that its a major grind. personally I don't see the point to rushing to endgame, especallty in wow, you raid... ok, now what use does the raid gear serve? nothing, (more raids don't count), there is absoulty 0 use for raid gear in WoW other than more raids, You can't pvp with it due to blizzard seregating pve and pvp. Its why I quit wow shortly after hitting cap, didn't see any point to bothering with the raiding due to lack of use for the gear, to much fo a time commitment for stuff that serves no more useful purpose. Now if it had some ally vs horde land control pvpve I could use the gear in, that'd be a diff story.

    Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

    A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

    or

    B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

    Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,905

    Originally posted by Kopogero

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilEffax8id4&feature=player_embedded

    Looking by the latest video and from my previous Aion experience it seems like this game currently got the edge over WOW and SWTOR?

    Aion wins in

    #1 Graphics

    #2 Combat

    #3 Extra housing feature?

     

    Discuss...

     

    This update finally makes Aion look like the game that should have been at launch.

    Now, if they only merged a couple of the old lower pop servers and used that hardware to launch a fresh one I would come back in a sec.

    Preferbly one that is PvP optional with open PvP restricted to the Abyss.

    I refuse to be gank farmed by uber twinked out vets 24/7 though.

  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,690

    Originally posted by Kopogero

    Aion wins in

    #1 Graphics

    #2 Combat

    #3 Extra housing feature?

    Using those criteria, Age of Conan was the best MMO in existence when it launched.

    There's something horribly wrong with real world because it does not follow the criteria you're using.

     
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

    Originally posted by Siveria

    Hate to say it but now a days if it takes more than 30-60 mins to earn a level people whine that its a grind. Course I am exagerating. but really if it takes longer than a lv in wow, most people whine that its a major grind. 

    Actually, it doesn't seem to be as much about how long it takes, but rather how boring it is. I don't care if it takes a whole week to gain a level, as long as what I'm doing during that week is engaging and fun. Aion may not be much worse than most other MMOs in this regard, but it also isn't any better, so why bother to switch?

  • UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

    Originally posted by Kopogero

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilEffax8id4&feature=player_embedded

    Looking by the latest video and from my previous Aion experience it seems like this game currently got the edge over WOW and SWTOR?

    Aion wins in

    #1 Graphics

    #2 Combat

    #3 Extra housing feature?

     

    Discuss...

    You just described Mortal Online.... I think that answers your question.

    image
    Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

  • nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167

    Originally posted by caremuchless

    In Grinding #1

    LOL this sums it sums it up. Aion may look prettier, but the grind is godsawful.

  • JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

    Originally posted by nightfallrob

    Originally posted by caremuchless

    In Grinding #1

    LOL this sums it sums it up. Aion may look prettier, but the grind is godsawful.

    In AION to gain lvls ppl do quests, some quest is to kill mobs, others to pick something, others just to talk with some npc, etc. Isnt this system use it for the most west mmorpgs?

    During the process of leveling, players can do instances according to their lvls. Killing trash and boss's for some nice drop. Isnt this system use it for the most west mmorpgs?

    In lvl cap, players do group activitys trying to gear up the best they can (instances, dredgions, sieges, daylies quests, etc). Isnt this system use it for the most west mmorpgs?

    The time from lvl 1 to cap (55 atm) is preatty fast too, so even here is not diferent from west mmorpgs.

    The grinding in AION is just the same as the most west mmorpgs, just dont get it all this posts calling AION grinding like it is really worse then any other game around.

     

    About OP, that 3 features dont make the best mmorpg, not even close.

     

     

  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,522

    OP - you missed out (probably intentionally)

    the RNG.

    the server merges and subsequent player transfer fiasco

    the unworkable mix of world pvp and pve players

    the 100% socketing manastones cash shop items plus p2p

    the woeful support from NC in the west

     

    so, lets consider your original question again.....

Sign In or Register to comment.