Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My turn off on GuildWars

snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

I got all the expansions of GW, only I couldn't really get in to the game...

The gameplay style just couldn't grab me...The reason is that you must play with either other people or with henchmen/heroes.

This is a real let down for me, I rather would play it alone, you know just one character...

Are there more people who are experince this?

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

Comments

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I couldn't get into GW for the life of me neither.  That's not stopping me from looking forward to GW2 though :)

• StriderXedStriderXed Member Posts: 257

Originally posted by Homitu

I couldn't get into GW for the life of me neither.  That's not stopping me from looking forward to GW2 though :)

Its very hard to find players who are interested in gw2 despite of them not liking gw1.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by BWDingo

Its very hard to find players who are interested in gw2 despite of them not liking gw1.

Really?  I haven't quite gotten that impression, especially around here.  For one, most players seem to realize that both games are going to be so different that whatever issues you may have had with GW1 cannot necessarily be extrapolated to GW2. (It goes the other way as well, of course: whatever you liked about GW1 won't necessarily be the same in GW2.)  For another, Anet has done such a good job at explaining their philosophies and features every step of the way throughout GW2's development.  Lastly, GW2 has been hyped to a ridiculous level here and elsewhere, independently of its predecessor.  

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

GW2 fans:

Now even turning Guild Wars threads into "vs. GW2" threads!

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• PensievePensieve Member Posts: 10

well i havent played gw at all, and honestly i dont even think that i will try that one.. but i Do wanna play gw2 badly..

• Biggus99Biggus99 Member Posts: 916

I tried playing Guild Wars, and thought it was terrible.  Just found it very boring, most likely due to the heavy instancing and outdated graphics.  I also don't care for the skill system they have.  

That being said, there won't be any correlation between people's opinions on Guild Wars and that of GW2.  They should be viewed as two entirely different games,  and two entirely different genres really.  

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

No its not, GW2 from what it looks like is NOTHING like GW1, all the mechanics have been changed, and the entire game system have also been changed. again from what atleast you can see in the vids, or interpert from the interviews...

GW1 was not an MMO, it was an "Offline" RPG with a lobby, every square foot of that game was instanced and if you did not go into it with other players you were on your own..

I loathed GW1, most of my friends hated it, and guess what we are all looking forwards for GW2 why? because it looks nothing like GW1...

Real persistant world that you can socialize in - not just hubs, Story, no more crappy instances every where, PVP is not about "Arenas" any more but is much more BG like. Heavy emphasis on story and leveling, especially the social aspects of it.

If this sounds to you like GW1 then you must have been playing WoW all along and the meds you've been taking didnt do the trick for ya...

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Sigh....

Just because I feel sorry for the OP for having his threat hijacked by the GW2 brigade I'll be the first one to actually answer his question and make the first on-topic post in this thread:

I know exactly what you're talking about. While I've played GW for several years I've had a few periods in which I felt exactly the same. A great annoyance that I couldn't just get out there and do stuff but instead either had to get a party full of henchmen or find other players.

I've found a few things that help if you're still interested in giving GW a try.

Making an elonian character (GW: Nightfall) can help. Instead of random henchmen you'll get heroes which you can level up yourself as well as give some custom gear. This makes them a lot more personal and makes it feel more like soloing.

Joining a good guild also helps a lot as it really makes it a lot more effortless to find a few extra people. No need to spam LFG or anything else, just ask in guild chat or get your heroes and you can go.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I've played the 3 campaigns and the expansion of GW1 and yes there are horrible parts, post-scouring of Ascalon and the shanty city of Factions, for eg. However many parts are very good, such as a lot of NIghtfall, and Eye of the North. Try using companions from those two, then using them in the earlier campaigns, and get used to gearing them, and make sure your server is busy enough that you get lots of missions to share.

The problem is that Arenanet don't redo the campaigns as much as p2p mmos such as WoW that depend on keeping people playing though the basic game. Arenanet focus on the next expansion, rather than correcting parts of the campaign that most players have moved on from into the pvp bulk of the game.

• JormagXJormagX Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by snoocky

The gameplay style just couldn't grab me...The reason is that you must play with either other people or with henchmen/heroes.

This is a real let down for me, I rather would play it alone, you know just one character...

This wasn't really an issue when the game first came out. There were players EVERYWHERE. It was awesome. PUGs for the most part was fairly simple and no one was bent out on getting certain professions/builds aside from having a monk but the healer henchmen was also accepted at that time.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I felt differently 6-years ago when it launched.  It was a fun and very entertaining experience then, but I wouldnt play it today with so many other options in gaming.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I also didn't much care for GW so naturally i'm very pessimistic about GW2.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

Actually one reason I liked Guild Wars 1 was because it was so challenging to play solo, I often attempted to solo everything as a result. Anything I could solo I would want to go back and play it with other players to show off how good I am at that mission and help people out or to just learn how other people play that mission. Have you tried looking up character builds or tried to make your own character builds that lets you solo a mission or zone?

There ARE builds that let you do that, you know. You just have to figure it out. Like farming gold on a 55 monk, for example in some zones is really fun.

But I do guess that there are some things that is impossible to solo, which is why you could still be disappointed with this advice.

Yeah, there's 1 or 2 missions you can't even do henchmen with in the original Guild Wars story missions, the last one for example in which you face Prince Rurik, I think I had to get help for that one.

Still, it wasn't that bad. Unless there's just no one to group with or people are being stubborn and not inviting you. Then I'd understand, because GW really sucks sometimes when you wanna find a group.

• tekniko64tekniko64 Member Posts: 58

I had the same problem when I started GW.  I mean I love partying with other people but to rely on it completely was a turn off.  Come to think of it I havent even looked at that game in probably five or more years now. 

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I always liked Guild Wars because everything I did in the game made me feel as if I was actually important to the gameworld rather than on some grind-heavy treadmill watching one player after another do exactly what I did.  For that, it's greatest strength was that it didn't allow you to meet players out in the wilds.  Of course, there were simply so many impressive looking areas with a great sense of scale that really encouraged exploration.

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

I'm trying to play GW1 to see the lore so I can better appreciate GW2 and playing the game just reminds me why I QUIT years ago.

The need for henchmen is ceratinly one element, it sucks needing this pack of NPCs following you around and NPC heroes are only marginally better.

Worse for me is the complete lack of explaination from ArenaNet regarding their game systems.   Hell, their developers have admitred in GW2 interviews where they mention the flaws of GW1 like how the  game just throws players into system with  massive number of skills and no explaination what they should do with them.  

ArenaNet expects the community to provide all the support that THEY should be providing.    A game should NOT be about freaking HOMEWORK where you have to research how to make your character playable.  

At the very least ArenaNet should supply official character builds or something so players can be sure they can at least be functional.  

The only reason I'm following ArenaNet is because they admit their mistakes and seem to have learned from it.   The problem is that this doesn't fix the  WRETCHED  flaws in GW1 that continually keep the game from being enjoyable. .   

I may still slough through the game just to see the story but it's about as much fun slamming my hand in a door over and over.  

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by Alienovrlord

I'm trying to play GW1 to see the lore so I can better appreciate GW2 and playing the game just reminds me why I QUIT years ago.

The need for henchmen is ceratinly one element, it sucks needing this pack of NPCs following you around and NPC heroes are only marginally better.

Worse for me is the complete lack of explaination from ArenaNet regarding their game systems.   Hell, their developers have admitred in GW2 interviews where they mention the flaws of GW1 like how the  game just throws players into system with  massive number of skills and no explaination what they should do with them.  

ArenaNet expects the community to provide all the support that THEY should be providing.    A game should NOT be about freaking HOMEWORK where you have to research how to make your character playable.  

At the very least ArenaNet should supply official character builds or something so players can be sure they can at least be functional.  

The only reason I'm following ArenaNet is because they admit their mistakes and seem to have learned from it.   The problem is that this doesn't fix the  WRETCHED  flaws in GW1 that continually keep the game from being enjoyable. .   

I may still slough through the game just to see the story but it's about as much fun slamming my hand in a door over and over.  

I actually have the opposite stance on the massive amounts of skills.  I personally think it is GREAT that Arena.net doesn't hand hold us and tell us exactly which skills to use.  It encourages people to actually think about how they want to play a character, or what kind of loadout best suits their needs for the mission.  This mentality also might stem from the fact I also enjoy playing a CCG called Magic the Gathering, and I absolutely love building decks and trying them out.

• SeinaruSeinaru Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 109

I agree, OP, I bought the trilogy a few years ago, and I thought it had a really bad feel to it. When I ran out of mmos to play I gave GW another shot since I'm extremely interested in GW2. I bought EotN and played through that first (I already had a level 20 char). It drew me in because EotN was meant to be lore preparation for GW2. Now I'm working on my HoM for GW2. So while as a standalone game it didn't interest me at all, its connection to GW2 appeals to me.

I think that having heroes is one thing that makes GW more fun. If you don't already own Nightfall or EotN, you can do a 1 week trial of them or something like that. You can unlock a few heroes very early on in both expansions and you keep them past the trial period as long as you don't go back into the campaigns you don't own.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

GW2 will feel so amazing, fresh, new and 100 times better then GW1..but even though they are from the same story..these 2 games cant be compared

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I haven't checked these forums in a while but this thread is bashing the original game unfairly.

Firstly, I really find it annoying that some people diss the game's graphics. This game was released in 2005! It's been over 6 years now since the game's launch. The graphics were freakin amazing when this game launched. 

Secondly, GW1 had the most entertaining solo experience out of all MMOs. In most MMOs you control one character and you press 1,2,3 and you either kill the mob because of your stats or it kills you. When you fail, you just up your stats (level, dmg etc.) and you kill the mob. Zero skill required. GW required skill and tactics even when you played alone.

GW1 vs GW2 

A lot of GW1 players are worried about what Guild Wars 2 is turning into. There are many things that people loved which are not included in GW2 or being changed completely. GW2 will most likely attract a lot of MMO players but it might as well alienate people who were fans of the original game. E.g. GW2 allows you to play just one character. Will this turn the solo experience into a mindless grind which requires 0 tactics?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• indojabijinindojabijin Member UncommonPosts: 97

To be fair the trial is awful. Prophecies is by far the slowest in terms of progression and you really don't get into the nitty gritty of what the series is about until you reach Lion's Arch. Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North don't have this issue and are utterly amazing. Now I'm not saying Prophecies is bad, it isn't. It probably has the best storyline of all campaigns, but the ease into the gameplay and slow pace can turn players away.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

I am sorry to hear that you did not like Guild Wars.  As for the game play style, there is one quest that requires a second player and that one is twords the very first of the game.  That's it, one quest.  As for playing alone, it is possible to play the entire game (Prophies and Factions) alone, not sure why you would want too but that is not the point.  Only Nigitfall requires heros.

The game requires a lot more skill than most MMOs.  You have to pick and choose your skills, weapons and where you put your attribute points.  Make the wrong choice you are useless, make the right choices and you are almost godlike.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Didn't really bugger me since the AI is so good as it is. The missions is something you should play with other people anywqays, but all of it is a lot more fun when you play together with a few friends.

Soloing wasn't that common in 2005 when GW released, not like it is today at least.