Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many subs has WoW still left? State your predictions here

MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

If I'm correct, the Q3 corporate Activision Blizzard conference meeting will be held within weeks.

If the pattern of the past two meetings will be followed, also the sub and revenue figures for Q3 will be revealed, the sub figures will be a measurement at the closing date end of September.

So, what do you people think? What number will be announced for the subs?

I've seen a lot of people speculate, good numbers and bad numbers, let's put it in one thread here with concrete numbers, if people dare image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Comments

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

i'll shoot low and say 10 million, but it could be higher since they added those new areas.

this may not be as good as say, farmville but i think its pretty good for an older MMO you know. :P

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

Its 2:43 pm here:

17 servers are high

1 server is full

2 servers have new player status

15 servers are low

and rest of them ( the majority) are on medium

Thouse are english servers...dont know about french, german, russian and spanish

Nothing has changed, it was like thet when i started playing years ago

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Originally posted by Scalebane

i'll shoot low and say 10 million, but it could be higher since they added those new areas.

this may not be as good as say, farmville but i think its pretty good for an older MMO you know. :P

I agree.  I don't think less than that.  The free to play promotion has been running non-stop for a while.  It might just be that the advertising trackers know I visit MMO sites, but I see the WoW ad just about everywhere.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624

The question is how many accounts are trial accounts. You can play for free til lvl 20. As a addon developer that's perfect. No need for high levels. I met btw several trial account players. Regardles i think blizzards recent deal should have brought them quite a revive of numbers

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

My predictions:

• More than the "haters" claim.

• Less than the "fanboys" claim.

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by Aison2

The question is how many accounts are trial accounts. You can play for free til lvl 20. As a addon developer that's perfect. No need for high levels. I met btw several trial account players. Regardles i think blizzards recent deal should have brought them quite a revive of numbers

They don't generally give an account count, they usually give a subscriber count.  Which by their definition is anyone who is not on a free trial or their first month free gametime after purchase.  I is anyone with an active subscription within the last 30 days.  In the East (Asian countries) it is anyone who has logged in using one of their per minute gamecards in the last 30 days.  My guess is around 10 million.  If it really is down to 10 million that would mean that nearly a million people had quit during the last quart.  Which would be a large drop for WoW.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Scalebane

Heh. It's not just 'pretty good', it's pretty damn fucking spectacular and legendary (catch the 'How I met your mother' quote image) for an older MMO.

No MMO has achieved this, 10+ milion subs and even more so, still have that many after 6 years, and I doubt if any MMO ever will.

This is a feat for the game history books, no matter what haters keep saying.

However, things are also always in motion, certainly in the gaming world.

Originally posted by kakasaki

My predictions:

Chicken image

Oh christ, come on people, are you that afraid to speculate in numbers when it comes down to it?

Ok, here's my number, based upon the figures of the past 2 seasons and activity in player activity monitoring tools (WoW census, XFire, Raptr, etc) I'd say 10.25 million subs. As far as speculations go image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

How many? Well, if each WoW subscriber gave me just a single buck, I'd never have to worry about lifting a finger for the rest of my life and could afford to live a lifestyle way above of what I do now. I call that simply... enough.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

around 3 to 3.5 million in NA/Europe, and around 6 to 7 million in asia.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick

My predictions:

Chicken image

Fine, we don't take kindly to being called chicken in Texas good sir!  image

I say, around 8 million worldwide...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

I'd say around 10.5 million.

• risenbonesrisenbones Member Posts: 194

What do you mean by subs?  Do you mean the number of people who pay by the month?  If so well 3 or 4 million.  If by sub you mean active accounts worldwide and take into account that China and well most of Asia pay by way of time card rather than a sub then 10 or 11 millon.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

There is nothing more dangerous than a true believer.

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

There must have been a drop since the panda land expansion was announced . Blizzard even had to issue the "its not a joke" statement . I would hazzard a guess that its currently between 8.5 million and 9.5 million . In the west at least I think the drop in WoW subs next year will be massive .

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Down to 11 mil, would be my guess.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Found a nice site not sure if its 100% correct but looks close.image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

This is starting to look like the Number of Subs is Right, eh?

What do you think Drew and Bob?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

WoW is also keep subs up cause of things like RaF - it is painfullly easy to buy your game time through RaF it seems (at least there is tons of ads in forums, auctions in my country biggest AH) and it is like 50% of normal sub price.

Not to mention tons of accounts beign kept to farm gold it seems as gold selling / buying increased ALOT in last 1-2 years at least judging from amount of ads in forums, auctions in AH and more and more sites that sell it as well.

Seems like Blizz is not fighting it very much.  

Guess if it would start then it would lose ALOT of subs.

I would say it is below 10 mil atm.  Western subs bleeding all the time imho.  WoW players I know (not playing myself anymore) - over 90% of them not playing anymore, and many of them left after Cata gradually, almost noone plan to go back.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

My predictions:

this^

and if i have to give a number it would be a somewhere betweent 11 million and 11.5 million.

but im sure Mist of Pandaria will raise the number a bit more

edit, numbers corrected LOL

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

This one is easy, More alot more then anyone else, here's why! StarCraft online if and when it is announced.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

If you are talking about real subs, I'm guessing they've fallen below Aion and have around 3 to 3.5 million subs.   If you are talking about the propaganda subs, I'm guessing they will be back up around 12-13 million.

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

I'd say someplace around the same number of jobs Obama has created.....ok maybe not, but since they are both fictional numbers......

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

10,243,438 ~ish

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• battleaxe22battleaxe22 Member UncommonPosts: 303

10 mil is my guess     

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

The .5 is a guy in Albuquerque that shares his account.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Originally posted by ScribZ

I'd say someplace around the same number of jobs Obama has created.....ok maybe not, but since they are both fictional numbers......

QFT

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche