Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ripper X - Does he do negative reviews?

KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

As per the title, it seems like every review that's been posted on MMORPG.com has been excessively positive.

Just curious if he's done any negative ones that i may have missed and if he hasn't... why?

Comments

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

When has he ever done a review?

• redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224

Originally posted by Kabaal

As per the title, it seems like every review that's been posted on MMORPG.com has been excessively positive.

Just curious if he's done any negative ones that i may have missed and if he hasn't... why?

I wouldn't call them reviews, they are basic 1st impressions, more of a preview of the game for players possibly interested in the game to see. If I do "actual" reviews I'll definitely throw my own opinion on the game depending on the project.

Best,

Ripper X

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by redrip

I wouldn't call them reviews, they are basic 1st impressions, more of a preview of the game for players possibly interested in the game to see. If I do "actual" reviews I'll definitely throw my own opinion on the game depending on the project.

Best,

Ripper X

I wouldn't call them reviews either fella, still doesn't answer why everything is always so shiny and positive. It's a great style but there's little point in watching any of them as they are all "ooh a few hair styles" then "this is great".

• redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224

Originally posted by redrip

Best,

Ripper X

I wouldn't call them reviews either fella, still doesn't answer why everything is always so shiny and positive. It's a great style but there's little point in watching any of them as they are all "ooh a few hair styles" then "this is great".

Each video is a basic preview into the game for viewers to get a visual on the gameplay. Sure I throw out some good comments and get excited here and there but I'm not technically stating whether the game is good or bad. 

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Don't watch his videos if you're not looking for someone being very excited about giving a first impression about whatever game he's making a video on.

That's what his videos are, excited first impressions.

Complaining about that is like complaining sugar is too sweet.

If I want to see a game thrashed in a humorous way I'll watch Zero Punctuation.

If I want to see an excited first impression about a random MMO I'll watch RipperX.

If I want a serious review before buying a game I'll check metacritic and look through all the reviews there.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

Originally posted by gobla

Don't watch his videos if you're not looking for someone being very excited about giving a first impression about whatever game he's making a video on.

That's what his videos are, excited first impressions.

Complaining about that is like complaining sugar is too sweet.

If I want to see a game thrashed in a humorous way I'll watch Zero Punctuation.

If I want to see an excited first impression about a random MMO I'll watch RipperX.

If I want a serious review before buying a game I'll check metacritic and look through all the reviews there.

There are such things as "bad 1st impressions"

I dont put much wieght in anything anyone says if they are always positive or alwaysnegative. Ripper Tends to stress positive, and thats ok, but he still needs to acknowledge the negative or he is just a cheerleader, not a reviewer or giver of 1st impressions.

• DoctrJackalDoctrJackal Member CommonPosts: 13

No, I think first impressions should generally float towards positive remarks. Viewers watch these videos to see if a game is worth playing and only want to hear a clear "Yes" or "No", but commentators shouldn't be supporting that in first impressions. It's a discredit to the game developers who work hard on the content of the whole game - not just the first 15 minutes. It's a discredit to the people who play the game, because despite some flaws, or inconsistencies, they may be enjoying their experience of the game regardless. Lastly, it's a discredit to the viewer, who is not given a chance to check the game out for themself and could have been one of those players who like the game regardless. Rather than saying, "Play this." or "Do not play this", first impressions should say "This is the character creation", "This is what combat looks like", and "This is the interface". After that, it's perfectly okay for a player to flat out reject it on their own. First impressions are an important part of the experience, but not a large part.

Full reviews are an entirely different story, however. One can bash the game, it's developers, it's players, and the viewer's interest as it is part of a culminative experience, which is what games are about.

Playing a new game is a lot like having friends - you may or may not remember how you met them, but you definately remember the fun times. And then there are those people you've met and immediately new you wouldn't be friends with them. It's part of life.

Originally posted by DoctrJackal

No, I think first impressions should generally float towards positive remarks. Viewers watch these videos to see if a game is worth playing and only want to hear a clear "Yes" or "No", but commentators shouldn't be supporting that in first impressions. It's a discredit to the game developers who work hard on the content of the whole game - not just the first 15 minutes. It's a discredit to the people who play the game, because despite some flaws, or inconsistencies, they may be enjoying their experience of the game regardless. Lastly, it's a discredit to the viewer, who is not given a chance to check the game out for themself and could have been one of those players who like the game regardless. Rather than saying, "Play this." or "Do not play this", first impressions should say "This is the character creation", "This is what combat looks like", and "This is the interface". After that, it's perfectly okay for a player to flat out reject it on their own. First impressions are an important part of the experience, but not a large part.

Full reviews are an entirely different story, however. One can bash the game, it's developers, it's players, and the viewer's interest as it is part of a culminative experience, which is what games are about.

Playing a new game is a lot like having friends - you may or may not remember how you met them, but you definately remember the fun times. And then there are those people you've met and immediately new you wouldn't be friends with them. It's part of life.

What you think "first impressions" are doesnt matter.

They already have a definition of their own. That definition includes both good and bad. If you want to call something "first impressions"  then only give good comments, you are not giving 1st impressions. 

The big concern when you dont give honest 1st impressions where you include the negative side is that you risk the appearance of just being an advertisement. Being honest will grant you a bigger following. Being dishonest will only get people mad at you when they buy a game only to realize it isnt nearly as good as you imply. However, if your interest is to just get quotations in game advertisements or be a peon to the various game companies, then you will succeed.

• DoctrJackalDoctrJackal Member CommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by Consequence

They already have a definition of their own. That definition includes both good and bad. If you want to call something "first impressions"  then only give good comments, you are not giving 1st impressions. 

The big concern when you dont give honest 1st impressions where you include the negative side is that you risk the appearance of just being an advertisement. Being honest will grant you a bigger following. Being dishonest will only get people mad at you when they buy a game only to realize it isnt nearly as good as you imply. However, if your interest is to just get quotations in game advertisements or be a peon to the various game companies, then you will succeed.

You're talking about a review, not a first impression. That's what IGN does. They review a game and give it 5 stars because the company who made the game they are reviewing is the same company who's paying them to advertise.

A first impression is completely different from a review, though. The commentator doesn't bring out negatives as much as postives in a first impression because it's not the full game. That shouldn't be equated with being dishonest at all. Rating a game based on only 15 minutes of solo gameplay, however, wouldn't be considered honest in the least.

You shouldn't be buying games based on first impressions. They shouldn't be telling you directly if the game is good or not as a whole. Instead, you get to see character creation and combat and decide if it's worth puting up with. It's a demo where you can just see if you're going to get mad about the gender-locked classes not even 5 minutes in.

If someone did start wildly promoting or angrily dismissing a game in a first impressions video, they would look pretty stupid.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

dont know about a negative review but being from the UK myself i would'nt mind knowing his adress so i could go round and pay my respects..what an annoying voice.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

ripper X gives you HIS impression of the game. which is why he is positive about it. the video is designed to show you what the game is like at the start where many people decide if they want to spend the many hours to download the client and play it. think of it as watching a "lets play" video of a game. its not really designed to sway you in to playing the game or not. but to show you what you will experiance when/if you do try the game out.

sure he could give it a negitive impression but as his view of the game is positive it would not make much sense, as he is clearly enjoying the game (example the wizard 101) if you want actual reviews or opionons dont watch first impressions... as they generally dont show case bugs or issues with the game but show off the enjoyable aspects.

personally i like his style of impression videos as it gives me a decent idea of how the game's style and play is before i spend time reviewing the games forums and site for info before downloading it my self. 

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Wizard 101
    Atlantica

First impressions my ass, I like his impressions and I like how he is doing it. But try to highlight the strenghts of the game you get impressions from. Then you can shit about it all you want.

Same goes to TotalBiscuit with Rift.

• JoliustJoliust Member Posts: 1,329

Originally posted by kevjards
    dont know about a negative review but being from the UK myself i would'nt mind knowing his adress so i could go round and pay my respects..what an annoying voice.

American myself, but the first thing I thought when watching his videos was, "Who does he think he his fooling?"

Sent me an email if you want me to mail you some pizza rolls.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Guys, if you wanna see Rip get over the top excited, go watch his Trine 2 Preview.  I dont think I've seen anyone get more excited over graphics.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

The real question is why things have to be looked at always in a negative light? Its kind of sad how everyone bashing any type of game at all. They are more likely to pounce on a flaw that take in the actual good parts. 

People today are just so shrewd on things. If you built a house flawlessly and there was one bent nail, I bet most gamers would point out the nail and make it a huge factor in why the house is a failure. Its just so rediculous how if something isn't perfect, its suddenly an abonimation and it has to be screamed out negatively or its not very fair. Its possible that even a bad game might have some element that is exoidinry, unfortunately people are so quick at labeling and so bias at it, they won't ever get the chance to experience it.

Sure I see flaws and can point out negative factors, but I never let that deter me. I always believe in giving things a chance and to respect the good elements that the media I might be seeing provides. It might not be my style to be overly excited, but I see nothing at all wrong with being posative about things if you full heartedly enjoy something.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I think thats just RipperX's style...

if you dont like his video's then dont watch,no one is making you.

Dude cracks me up though,I enjoy his videos.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Originally posted by tank017

I think thats just RipperX's style...

if you dont like his video's then dont watch,no one is making you.

Dude cracks me up though,I enjoy his videos.

Indeed, you need to take or leave these sorts of things.  These days, EVERYONE can post a ,'first impression', or a, 'review', about something, opinions aren't in demand on the internet.  If you can do something entertaining and different then thats seems to be the defining thing.  Personally I really enjoyed he's Portal and Darkfall series videos, take them for what they are and you won't be disapointed :)

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

Originally posted by Consequence

You're talking about a review, not a first impression. That's what IGN does. They review a game and give it 5 stars because the company who made the game they are reviewing is the same company who's paying them to advertise.

A first impression is completely different from a review, though. The commentator doesn't bring out negatives as much as postives in a first impression because it's not the full game. That shouldn't be equated with being dishonest at all. Rating a game based on only 15 minutes of solo gameplay, however, wouldn't be considered honest in the least.

You shouldn't be buying games based on first impressions. They shouldn't be telling you directly if the game is good or not as a whole. Instead, you get to see character creation and combat and decide if it's worth puting up with. It's a demo where you can just see if you're going to get mad about the gender-locked classes not even 5 minutes in.

If someone did start wildly promoting or angrily dismissing a game in a first impressions video, they would look pretty stupid.

No , I am not confusing a "review" with a "1st impression." Ill say it again, 1st impressions are NOT ALWAYS GOOD. The term "bad 1st impression" isnt made up.

I am not knocking RipperX either. I truly like his writting style and he injects humor well, something that is very hard to do in the written word.

Neither am I asking him to "wildy promote or angrily dismiss" games. I am asking him to give the good 1st impressions AND the bad ones. Because denying that bad 1st impressions exists is dishonest.