Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My impression since returning

injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142

Since April, or whenever DW server came out, I've leveled 2 characters to 80, and this is what my impression of the game has been....  I'm part of that "skill based pvp" crowd that wants a little risk and reward with my interactions with other people. For those of you that seek that type of experience, I recommend just saving money for something else.  This is why....

Game looks great graphics-wise, there were some times where I'd running up a hill only to look behind me and enjoy the panoramic view.  FC has definitely done what they were always known to do best, improve the environment in terms of making things look cool.  From zone to zone, things just basically start looking the same. Yea it's geared to be more realistic, but nontheless, there's a lot of "filler" content that's used simply to make you just take longer to get to point A to point B. 

FC does keep you busy with this idea that you're working towards this amazing gaming experience, and eventually you just stop actually questing and begin grinding because it's a lot faster.  You finally get to level 80, and you realize that's when the game actually starts.  You go to Khitai, and you realize the crushing requirements that are needed to get high end epic gear, and the worst part is that it's basically by grinding a few quests repeatedly (with long timers). Then there's your AA's, which are also critical for being any good at whatever you want to do (can't level them without subscription), and guess what, those are basically like the eve skill trains but 10xs as long. 

As for the Item Shop, everything, and I mean everything is for sale.  They even sell the spells after level 80.  So basically if you don't want to experience some hellish grind for 1 piece of gear, or wait 4 months to get a spell you can buy them individually for 10 bucks.  Then they come out with "adventure packs" which you can buy that adds more content and shiny shit you can buy on the Item shop if you dont' want to just grind more crap.  I started getting the feeling that everything FC did was essentially designed to make you wait longer pay more of a sub, or that took advantage of the idea of instant gratification, and offerred to sell it to you for real cash. 

Now after I've leveled 2 characters to level 80, bought gear, spent massive amount of time gathering resources for a crafting system that's completely pointless, I'm feeling scammed.  There's really no other way to put it.  I'm on a Deathwish server that's basically a ghost town, with probably about 350+ dollars sent to a company that's purposely scamming one customer base to fund another project (Secret World)

Do yourself a favor, don't play AoC, or anything that Funcom comes out with.  They aren't run by Computer programmers, but people with their MBA.

injenu.

PS:

I didn't write this to harm any other gamers experience as I understand AoC is having a hard time with population levels.  I will say that you are straight up lying to yourself if you think FC has your best interest in mind.  They just want your money.  All so called "F2P" games just want profit and AoC is a perfect example of this.  I'm just trying to warn everyone. 

Comments

• jvxmtgjvxmtg Member Posts: 371

lol, took you long enough to realize that. If you don't see their desperation from their "almost nude" ads, it's time to open your eyes and take the red pill.

Ready for GW2!!!
  • injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142

I truly didn't know... Call me a fool, but it's a huge life-lesson learned, and I realized that themepark MMOs are more about ROI than anything else.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Aren't all these games ultimately just after our money?

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Yea but not in the blatant way FC is.  They're just as bad as evony is.   They've literally locked it's customer base in, and are forcing them to buy their gear or eat a huge time sink to grind.

Of course, and as a gamer, we want something in return. It's an even exchange. But when that exchange becomes one sided, its no longer even nor fair. And if we don't get anything in return, we were scammed -- and these kind of act should be criminal.

This is the kind of companies that drives the Legislators to act and regulate this market. Although many don't want government intervention in the cyber world, these greedy company are taking advantage of the cosumer by literally scamming everyone with false advertisements and the government can't do anything about it at this time.

In as much as I hate government regulation in everything we do, there's something has to be done with companies like Funcom, EA,  and Activision/Blizzard -- they are now out of control.

Blizzard used to be honorable and now they are just one of the scammers.

EDIT:

Forgot to add Turbine in one of the scammer company.

Ready for GW2!!!
  • catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by injenu

Yea but not in the blatant way FC is.  They're just as bad as evony is.   They've literally locked it's customer base in, and are forcing them to buy their gear or eat a huge time sink to grind.

To be honest, the gear from the AoC store is pretty bad compared to the gear from Khitai questing / dungeon running. My latest alt took about a month to get pretty well geared up in Khitai gear at 80.

You are correct in that to be effective at 80 requires a sub. AA's do not take long if you are questing / dungeon running / pvping, but playing without AAs vs someone who has them is a huge difference. AoC's f2p is simply a very long trial. Nothing is ever truly for free thou.   

Originally posted by catlana

To be honest, the gear from the AoC store is pretty bad compared to the gear from Khitai questing / dungeon running. My latest alt took about a month to get pretty well geared up in Khitai gear at 80.

You are correct in that to be effective at 80 requires a sub. AA's do not take long if you are questing / dungeon running / pvping, but playing without AAs vs someone who has them is a huge difference. AoC's f2p is simply a very long trial. Nothing is ever truly for free thou.   

If there is nothing, then Lineage 2 would be the first.

Ready for GW2!!!

If you're running Khitai 6 man's with a big guild than it could be reasonable, you're right.  But here's the issue, now that everyone who moved from other servers to Deathwish, and have realized that it was just a major cash grab from FC, they moved back.  Now I'm stuck on a server that's like a ghost town, and I'm either forced to pay 20 dollars to move my char back, or wait and hope they merge with tyranny.  I refuse to pay anymore to this company though.. I'm just warning people if they're considering playing this game.  FC is just teasing AoC's customer base long enough till the Secret World comes out.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

If you're running Khitai 6 man's with a big guild than it could be reasonable, you're right.  But here's the issue, now that everyone who moved from other servers to Deathwish, and have realized that it was just a major cash grab from FC, they moved back.  Now I'm stuck on a server that's like a ghost town, and I'm either forced to pay 20 dollars to move my char back, or wait and hope they merge with tyranny.  I refuse to pay anymore to this company though.. I'm just warning people if they're considering playing this game.  FC is just teasing AoC's customer base long enough till the Secret World comes out.

I am not going to argue that Deathwish was kinda of silly. I played an alt on that server for a bit. I came back to my more established characters on Wiccana. I do not pay to transfer toons. I also agree Funcom should go ahead and merge Deathwish into Tyranny.  

Our guild is not that big (ala friends & family) but we can field a 6 man group that works pretty well. We pvp with other small guilds from time to time as well. Funcom needs to keep content coming or they will be rolled over by the new games coming out.