Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Prophecy: Blasting Through Space the Right Way

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Black Prophecy has brought joy to sci-fi MMO players all around the world. Is it as good as it looks? In a new 'first look' preview, MMORPG.com's Alex Frieden takes a look at Black Prophecy and gives our readers a quick and dirty look at the game overall. Check it out and then leave us your impressions in the comments.

Black Prophecy brings what a lot of gamers have been excited for: A space combat MMORPG. Like a lot of the online community, I too delved into EVE Online. It is a beautiful game with a complex economy and awesome combat. However, as the elitists out there will gladly tell you, it lacks full controls. I am not saying that you can’t do anything in Eve, but I cannot move around as if it is in a FPS. With the arrival of Black Prophecy, we can rejoice!

Read more of Alex Friedan's Black Prophecy: Blasting Through Space the Right Way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AbcynthAbcynth Member UncommonPosts: 60

I love games like this.  Ever since Freelancer, I was hooked on space combat.  I played a bit of BP in beta and was trying to get into it, but it didn't feel as easy to get into like Freelancer was.  But I have high hopes for this game, this genre is definitely not as overdone as the fantasy genre is.  Here's hoping this game flourishes.

• BadmiralBadmiral Member UncommonPosts: 5

Ya the game is definitely a bit slower moving out of the game.  Make sure you make it past the prologue before giving it a fair shake.  I definitely agree, the freelancer style game is fantastic.  This game has started to see some real PVP potential in it within the factions!  I would definitely like for this game to recieve a competitive scene!  Heres to hoping!

• SkyMarshalSkyMarshal Member Posts: 4
    I personally have been impatiently waiting for Freespace 3, or at least it's "spiritual" successor. I don't know if this is it or not, but if it isn't I will keep holding the torch.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Well I love space games, but did not like this game much at all.  I found the game to be somewhat repetitive and boring.  Just my opinion, but I did not see much content to keep people playing.  And again with just two factions, your pvp experience is going to be very one sided.

There are some decent changes and additional content coming, I will take a wait and see approach on this game, just would not recommend it as it exists today.

• KuaidamKuaidam Member Posts: 183

I've been wanting to play a game like this one for ages... And I am still waiting.

The game can't be play from my region = (

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Does the games till only have one ship?

Currently in the game you start out as your sapien ship then once you pick Tyi or Genide you move to your new ship.  Sadly there is still no new ship besides these ships and I don't believe there is any plans to implement new ones. 

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Honestly, the game, to me, just felt dead.  I wanted something more akin to an attempt at simulating a living universe even if you couldnt really participate in the economy.  Maybe ore haulers and trade ships going from station to station, just to improve the atmosphere, maybe give to give some pvp objectives too, but sadly this really wouldnt work in an instaced area type of game. 

The leveling system, too, just felt shoehorned in.  It feels really out of place, especially since it strongly encourages you to stick with one weapon type and just pump that skill.

The game looks beautiful though, playes well, and its a great framework, but content wise and presentation wise, needs alot of work.

In short I wanted more Freelancer in the game.

Originally posted by Derros

Honestly, the game, to me, just felt dead.  I wanted something more akin to an attempt at simulating a living universe even if you couldnt really participate in the economy.  Maybe ore haulers and trade ships going from station to station, just to improve the atmosphere, maybe give to give some pvp objectives too, but sadly this really wouldnt work in an instaced area type of game. 

The leveling system, too, just felt shoehorned in.  It feels really out of place, especially since it strongly encourages you to stick with one weapon type and just pump that skill.

The game looks beautiful though, playes well, and its a great framework, but content wise and presentation wise, needs alot of work.

In short I wanted more Freelancer in the game.

I understand that the content is lacking, but what do you mean it needs work in presentation?

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Having played anything space-related since Elite on the C64 or StarTrek on the Amiga, followed by WingCommander, Freelancer, X-series, all the StarWars-stuff and then SWG and STO and ofcourse EvE Online, I was rather disappointed by BlackProphecy.

BlackProphecy could've been good, but it just doesn't feel really good. The controls are nothing compared to old games like Freelancer or even X-Wing vs TieFighter, they feel very clunky and not really responsive and it's not about my rig being too old or anything like this (i5-760, GTX460, 8GB, SSD).
    The space feels very small and the heavily instanced universe is pretty but boring. The missions are not too bad, but they get old pretty fast and there's nothing to besides these. No exploration, no group-content, no nothing.

I'm still waiting for a developer to simply take a game like X or Freelancer and add the typical MMO-elements ontop of that. That'd be a success without too much efforts.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Accepting the sort of game it is, it still failed on a few levels, for me.

One, I just didn't like the style of combat.  I feel that in any vehicular shooter, the emphasis should be on movement, and aiming via movement, rather than point and click shooting, ala pedestrian shooters.  I'd need it to feel more like aerial dogfighting, and less mousing around to click on targets.

Two, the gameworld just felt tiny to me.  I got past the prologue, and it was just like, wtf, this is it?  I guess the content is level-gated, but still.. didn't get the impression that a whole lot more would ever open up.  There was no universe to explore at all.  No where to go, really, aside from back and forth to the same little mission areas over and over.

Plus, it doesn't even have any real equipment variety.  No new ships to work for, or different types of ships to choose from, and differences in types of loadouts were marginal.  A few stat points different here or there, but nothing with any real impact on gameplay, so it was all pretty much the same.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• KyleWins1000KyleWins1000 Member Posts: 2

I've been checking back every few weeks and it's definitely been shaping up.  It was a little barebones at first but all the new PvP features are cool,  and they keep living up to their promises for expanded content, with even more on the way.  May have to check back again now!

• liadzliadz Member Posts: 35

Seems like a good game. A friend of mine that plays it says its f2p elements are pretty fair.

I wanted to try it but I found out it was region locked for me (I live in South America). A real pity.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

another typical proganda review that is why this site garners so little respect amongst gamers and the forums are littlre more than a place for children to scream