Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Friend and I bought the game today (sun oct 30th)

Here are a few questions I thought I should ask before we actually start (installing now)

What server should we start with if we want the best gameplay experience?

What classes are good for two people combos?

Should we level solo like most mmorpgs for the first couple of levels or should we level together? (which is faster to get to say level 5 or 10)

If we do not start in the same area how easy is it for us to find each other?

Should we join a LS right away?

see you guys in game, and thanks for any answers!

Comments

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

I would have probably bought the game a while back myself if I could find a digital download.  I just don't get to the store very often :P

• jackman1118jackman1118 Member Posts: 288

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

I would have probably bought the game a while back myself if I could find a digital download.  I just don't get to the store very often :P

yea i got the collectors edition for 40$ at my local gamestop. I know I could have gotten it from amazon for 25$ but waiting for shipping and shipping itself is worth 15$ to me.

Should be fun for the month and a half until swtor releases.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Selbina is probably the most populated. Besaid has a large amount of english speaking players, and Lindblum also felt pretty well populated a few weeks back. With that said, Ul'Dah is where the people seem to hang out, so anywhere else is likely to feel barren.

It's pretty easy to level to 10. The learning curve is fairly steep as the game really does everything different and there's a few long cutscenes in the opening mission line if you do that. It's not that hard to get to each other, but it's not instant either... I would probably start together if possible, if it were me, just out of the longing to play together sooner. With that said, i traveled to all 3 starting areas within the first 10 levels, so it's not impossible, just takes a little while and while learning the game it could seem even longer.

With the ability to be a a part of multiple linkshells, I would say it's good to join up with some right off the bat and start getting to know some folks. You'll likely have quite a few questions in thebeginning, even if you've played tons of mmo's and even XI, so it's nice to have some folks whose brains you can pick while learning :)

But if you don't conect with anyone for a LS right away, i wouldn't sweat that either, while nice it is definitely not a 'must have' during the first 20 levels or so...

How was that for saying a bunch of stuff without actually telling you anything at all? LOL Sorry about that. i ramble a lot.

• Darkfalz89Darkfalz89 Member UncommonPosts: 581

From what i hear Lindblum and Wutai are amongst the best new player friendly servers I know of. I recently joined the game myself to sample the 1.19 changes and myself I havent played since launch and im just in awe of how much better the game has become. If you played FFXI you'll be glad that many of the games mechanics have reverted to FFXI's (You get kill chains from just killing mobs which encourages grouping again!!!). You can contanct me, Raegne Zahra my friend Blazek Wolfe or our linkshell leader Soda PoP however should you decide to roll on Selbina. We are a newbie l/s looking for new players to be part of the evolution of FFXIV and to enjoy exping/crafting/questing and overall grouping.

As far as a digital client, unfortunately you wont see one until the 2.0 software is going to come out late next year (since it will be distributed digitally) but until then stop by your neighborhood gamestop and ask them for a copy. My friend almost got paid to take their copies and got his collecters edition for 8 bucks (lol).

Also! Awesome controller if your into gamepads: http://www.amazon.com/Snakebyte-Final-Fantasy-XIV-Controller-000009/dp/B0046ZQ022/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320000892&sr=8-1-spell

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Originally posted by jackman1118

Here are a few questions I thought I should ask before we actually start (installing now)

What server should we start with if we want the best gameplay experience?

Selbina has a healthy playerbase, it's the unnoficial FFXI server. Wutai (my server) is decent as well. Most people start off or are in Ul'dah now as it's the center town. I'd reccomend it since it has the most populated market wards.

What classes are good for two people combos?

Any. You can mix and match skills across almost all classes. For my reccomendation, I'd say one of you should level the War Disciples while the other levels Magic Disciples with Pugilist (good self heals).

Should we level solo like most mmorpgs for the first couple of levels or should we level together? (which is faster to get to say level 5 or 10)

Level together. And if you get Leves, you can share them for even more experience. Leves are like daily quests but are the prime way to level, outside of parties.

If we do not start in the same area how easy is it for us to find each other?

A level 1 character can travel from any town to the others, it's all about finding maps online.

Should we join a LS right away?

You can if you want, but if you both take the time to level sererate crafting classes, you can be self sufficient for the first 20 levels or so easily.

see you guys in game, and thanks for any answers!

Answers in yellow.

If you decide to join Wutai, send a /tell to Reth Daron until you catch me on. I can craft you some lowbie equipment, and a better tool for each class.

And once you start, use the official forums if you need any more help (you need a game account to post). They're very helpful there, and active.

awesome, i think we will join wutai.

I have a ps3 controller that I use DS3 to work on my PC for FIFA 12, should I also use it for this game? Does that work?

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

It should. Open up the FFXIV Config (it's out of game) and set up the gamepad. If all the buttons register it'll work. I'll be on later this evening.

so yea, we joined wutai. My name is Rice Chex, and im a level 7 conjurer atm. The game is pretty fun, I just wish the shop keepers were easier to figure out where and who sells what.

Our next step is to find a LS that will answer our terrible noob questions.. lol

edit: spelling

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

so yea, we joined wutai. My name is Rice Chex, and im a level 7 conjurer atm. The game is pretty fun, I just wish the shop keepers were easier to figure out where and who sells what.

Our next step is to find a LS that will answer our terrible noob questions.. lol

Merchant rows will have signs overhead. They will be the same as the skill ones in your character sheet. I strongly suggest you synth your own gear after weatherd and maybe Bronze. Prices get pretty insane, pretty fast.

As a Conji you have powerfull heal spells but they eat alot of MP so focus gear on MP. Also learn what element is best against each mob. Its the difference between winning and losing. AoE is your biggest virtue but it can get you in trouble real quick too. 1-9 and the Enter key, monitor for wandering aggro and toggle AoE accordingly. LeveQuests speed up leveling. Doing it sandbox will take a hundred years.

Originally posted by free2play

Merchant rows will have signs overhead. They will be the same as the skill ones in your character sheet. I strongly suggest you synth your own gear after weatherd and maybe Bronze. Prices get pretty insane, pretty fast.

As a Conji you have powerfull heal spells but they eat alot of MP so focus gear on MP. Also learn what element is best against each mob. Its the difference between winning and losing. AoE is your biggest virtue but it can get you in trouble real quick too. 1-9 and the Enter key, monitor for wandering aggro and toggle AoE accordingly. LeveQuests speed up leveling. Doing it sandbox will take a hundred years.

yea im not new to mmo's, the element thing was pretty standard final fantasy info. Levequests look like they only give you items and gil, they also give exp? Can a conji and pugilist do the level 5 difficulty or does that take a real party?

Levequests in your level group can be done solo. A group allows you to share out and get more exper overall and yes, they do give exper. With Guardians favor you get 150% and 8-10 levequests will get you a level. For the first 10 levels they aren't really needed but as you get up there, they will be. Exper doesnt scale well in sandbox. It in fact seems to get harder in higher levels. I can take a level 21 Conji and kill a level 19 mob, get 70 exper. Kill a lv. 3 with a level 6 and get 90. I don't know if that's just a bug or what but Levequests at 21 drop 3K exper so assuming the exper scaling is working as intended, after a point you will need to levequest to level.

• eugameugam Member UncommonPosts: 984

What has high prio for a level 6 conji ? Should i start to craft cloth ? Or should i level multiple skills ?

I am a complete FFX noob and try to find my first steps after finishing the intro.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Originally posted by eugam

Merchant rows will have signs overhead. They will be the same as the skill ones in your character sheet. I strongly suggest you synth your own gear after weatherd and maybe Bronze. Prices get pretty insane, pretty fast.  *This is not relevant post 1.19 as there are NPC's who sell cheap low-mid level gear located in the Market Wards*

What has high prio for a level 6 conji ? Should i start to craft cloth ? Or should i level multiple skills ?

I am a complete FFX noob and try to find my first steps after finishing the intro.

Leveling a bunch of classes a few levels will give you access to a lot of great abilities.  Defender (extra defense), second wind (self heal), Invigorate (TP regen).

You'll want to level THM up further eventually for:

16 Styigian Spikes (MP on hit), siphon MP r20, slow r8, dia (defense down r12, Bio (attack down) r12

You can start crafting cloth through guildleves at any time.  I'd start getting into groups whenever possible to level though as it is the best way to do that (though of course solo guildleves is fast too).

Or you can just buy low-mid level gear from the MW or the NPC's located in the Market Ward who sell gear for cheap (less than 4k or so a piece).

• mrxennonmrxennon Member Posts: 209

@OP You realise you have to pay subs from late November/early December?  SE believe they have 50% of the game done and that it warants players to pay subs. That they will be blowing up a lot of the maps and bringing in version 2 of the game by early 2013 with a release of the ps3 version.  There will be a lot of other stuff being implimented aswel so dont feel you have wasted your dosh on the game just yet.

Edit: Lindbulm is your safest bet but nobody really knows what will happen to the population once the players have to pay subs.

Originally posted by mrxennon

@OP You realise you have to pay subs from late November/early December?  SE believe they have 50% of the game done and that it warants players to pay subs. That they will be blowing up a lot of the maps and bringing in version 2 of the game by early 2013 with a release of the ps3 version.  There will be a lot of other stuff being implimented aswel so dont feel you have wasted your dosh on the game just yet.

Edit: Lindbulm is your safest bet but nobody really knows what will happen to the population once the players have to pay subs.

Including you.

Game pop is higher than it has been since launch right now however and most players who are actually playing seem to be willing to pay when they are asked to.

SE does not believe they have 50% of the game done and that warrants players to pay subs.  This is taking something Yoshida said in an old interview completely out of context.

What they actually said (and clarified later) was that prior to 1.19 they felt the game was about halfway to being called a true Final Fantasy game.  With their work on 1.19 and 1.20 they feel this should be much closer to complete.  Players will not have to pay until after they have had a chance to try out 1.20.

Between 1.20 and 2.0 there will be loads of content at all levels (much more than was released in 1.18 and 1.19 due to them not having to work quite as much on combat changes/underlying balance), continual improvements to the game, and the one time storyline of the 7th Umbral Era which brings about the changes to the game.  Much like I guess "cataclysm" in wow was, except instead of some 2 week event it takes place over the better part of a year.

I don't know what dosh is supposed to mean.

Originally posted by Murugan

Including you.

Game pop is higher than it has been since launch right now however and most players who are actually playing seem to be willing to pay when they are asked to.

SE does not believe they have 50% of the game done and that warrants players to pay subs.  This is taking something Yoshida said in an old interview completely out of context.

What they actually said (and clarified later) was that prior to 1.19 they felt the game was about halfway to being called a true Final Fantasy game.  With their work on 1.19 and 1.20 they feel this should be much closer to complete.  Players will not have to pay until after they have had a chance to try out 1.20.

Between 1.20 and 2.0 there will be loads of content at all levels (much more than was released in 1.18 and 1.19 due to them not having to work quite as much on combat changes/underlying balance), continual improvements to the game, and the one time storyline of the 7th Umbral Era which brings about the changes to the game.  Much like I guess "cataclysm" in wow was, except instead of some 2 week event it takes place over the better part of a year.

From a recent interview from a Twiter feed.

Q: In regards to starting to charge a subscription fee, could you tell us about the reasoning behind starting now?

A: As I mentioned in the previous LIVE, our stance about being 50% complete has not changed. Though we have been able to gradually implement FF-related content, I still think that there is a lot that has not yet been completed, such as a lack of player search and an auction house. With patch 1.20, we will be introducing the player search and auction house, so I made the call as a producer to start billing at this time.

Source

http://www.ffxivcore.com/

Letter from the Producer LIVE Part II

Including you.

Next time you want to tell someone they don't know what they are talking about, check your own facts first.

Dosh

dosh

A contempory slang term used for an amount of money.

Q) Man, u wanna catch that new movie?

A) Nah, Im outta Dosh!

dosh

Currency, money, cash, moola

Wan't to grab a berr?

Can't man, got no dosh.

dosh

money

giz all ya dosh or al blow ya head off with me shotgun

source http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dosh

The internet is a wonderful tool for information if you use it correctly.

Originally posted by eugam

It used to be a benefit to get all classes to 12 or so but now it's less a value other than farming mats. Sheep are abundant around Limsa Lominsa. You will want thier pelts. If you hit the botany harvest points around uldah you will get lots of Cotton bolls. East of Uldah (more east of camp black brush) is a cave with a bunch of Lv. 6 and 7 Bogy and they drop alot of hempen yarn and undyed hempen cloth.  If your gear isnt up to parr, you will slow to a stand still. Tier one wood spots around Gridania are Maple and they will get you the parts for Conjurer wands etc. It will also get you a bunch of Maple sap. Keep it or sell it to vendor. Its easy to get and sells for 140 each. You could if you had a mind to, get a million Gil gathering this stuff. People will say dont sell to vendor, its used in alchemy but not for a long time to come and when that time comes, go get more.

Your main mission right now should be to get a craft, a gather and a magic/ combat to 18 so you can make materia. It will keep you busy for a while.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

You don't know what the game population is any more than random player #312. I've asked you for numbers before, and your responses were:

1) I see it on Selbina, so it must be true.

2) I see a lot of unique forum users.

3) X-fire

There's something in common with all three of those; they're all speculative nonsense just like someone saying the game's population is dead is speculative nonsense. I'll speculate since that seems to be a legitimate way to measure game population. I don't think there's more than 40,000 people actively playing this game.

Did you catch the latest live letter from Yoshi? One of the very first questions that was asked was in regards to charging and Yoshi outright said that they still stand by their assertion that the game is 50% complete.

Including you.

Next time you want to tell someone they don't know what they are talking about, check your own facts first.

Dosh

dosh

A) Nah, Im outta Dosh!

dosh

Wan't to grab a berr?

Can't man, got no dosh.

dosh

money

urbandictionary.com.... really?

Awesome source for facts.

Explains a lot!

Including you.

Q: In regards to starting to charge a subscription fee, could you tell us about the reasoning behind starting now?

A: As I mentioned in the previous LIVE, our stance about being 50% complete has not changed. Though we have been able to gradually implement FF-related content, I still think that there is a lot that has not yet been completed, such as a lack of player search and an auction house. With patch 1.20, we will be introducing the player search and auction house, so I made the call as a producer to start billing at this time.

Source

Originally posted by Gildrein

4:39

Q: Could you tell us about why you decided to commence billing at this time? A: In the previous live letter, I mentioned that standards-wise, I felt the game was only 50% complete. My stance hasn't changed since then. For patch 1.19, the programmers did their best to lay the foundation for content to be implemented continuously.

At long last FF-like content, such as chocobos and airships, are in the game as I really feel mounts are a necessary element for MMOs, and the Ifrit battles were introduced, so I feel the game is getting closer to the where we want it to be. But, despite these things, FFXIV is still missing a player search feature and the ability to search for items at the market and directly purchase them. There isn't even a system comparable to the FFXI auction house where purchase histories can be viewed.

In light of what is expected from an MMOs as a whole, the fact that we are lacking these two things is big drawback. But they will be implemented in patch 1.20, and this is the reason why we decided to commence billing. We hope you'll all give 1.20 a try and come to your own conclusions. Those who continue playing can experience the live event called the Seventh Umbral Era which will usher in new content such as battles and quests in each patch.

As producer, I needed to make the call to commence billing due to the costs involved in creating and running the game: the hard-working development and community teams, round-the-clock GM service, and other support staff.

There were comments saying that the billing and Version 2.0 announcements could have been made separately. From a business stand-point, we could have done just that: announce 2.0 and drop the bomb on billing later – this option was certainly considered.

But the announcement of 2.0 was expected to receive considerable media coverage. And so we decided to take this opportunity to ease the concerns of those who bought the game but have since quit, and might be wondering whether or not billing would commence automatically for them. I concluded that, rather than quietly releasing the news about the billing later, it would be better to include it with the main announcement. Ultimately, we want to you try the game and decide for yourself whether or not to continue playing.

I don't think I need to mention 1.20, but 1.21 will see jobs introduced. A lot is planned for 1.22 as well. Take the opinions of your fellow players into account, and arrive at your own decision. As for us, we'll continue press forward.

Here is the official translation which provides an explanation of why they are starting billing.  No where in this does it state that they plan on starting subscriptions because the game will be 50% complete after 1.20.

Including you.

Dosh

dosh

A) Nah, Im outta Dosh!

dosh

Wan't to grab a berr?

Can't man, got no dosh.

dosh

money

urbandictionary.com.... really?

Awesome source for facts.

Explains a lot!

Including you.

Source

Originally posted by Gildrein

4:39

Q: Could you tell us about why you decided to commence billing at this time? A: In the previous live letter, I mentioned that standards-wise, I felt the game was only 50% complete. My stance hasn't changed since then. For patch 1.19, the programmers did their best to lay the foundation for content to be implemented continuously.

At long last FF-like content, such as chocobos and airships, are in the game as I really feel mounts are a necessary element for MMOs, and the Ifrit battles were introduced, so I feel the game is getting closer to the where we want it to be. But, despite these things, FFXIV is still missing a player search feature and the ability to search for items at the market and directly purchase them. There isn't even a system comparable to the FFXI auction house where purchase histories can be viewed.

In light of what is expected from an MMOs as a whole, the fact that we are lacking these two things is big drawback. But they will be implemented in patch 1.20, and this is the reason why we decided to commence billing. We hope you'll all give 1.20 a try and come to your own conclusions. Those who continue playing can experience the live event called the Seventh Umbral Era which will usher in new content such as battles and quests in each patch.

As producer, I needed to make the call to commence billing due to the costs involved in creating and running the game: the hard-working development and community teams, round-the-clock GM service, and other support staff.

There were comments saying that the billing and Version 2.0 announcements could have been made separately. From a business stand-point, we could have done just that: announce 2.0 and drop the bomb on billing later – this option was certainly considered.

But the announcement of 2.0 was expected to receive considerable media coverage. And so we decided to take this opportunity to ease the concerns of those who bought the game but have since quit, and might be wondering whether or not billing would commence automatically for them. I concluded that, rather than quietly releasing the news about the billing later, it would be better to include it with the main announcement. Ultimately, we want to you try the game and decide for yourself whether or not to continue playing.

I don't think I need to mention 1.20, but 1.21 will see jobs introduced. A lot is planned for 1.22 as well. Take the opinions of your fellow players into account, and arrive at your own decision. As for us, we'll continue press forward.

Here is the official translation which provides an explanation of why they are starting billing.  No where in this does it state that they plan on starting subscriptions because the game will be 50% complete after 1.20.

You want to stop putting my words out of context, I never said they are starting to charge because its 50% complete, I copied a section of a transcript to defend what I had read and supplied the source, I said SE beleive they have got the game 50% complete. and that is what they have said in their interview.  I never made any claims, I just simple answered the OP's question and explained they will have to pay for the game come late November early December. Well the rest I have qouted.

If you want to be fanboi and defend everything about FFXIV then go ahead.   People are not stupid, even people that have been playing wont pay for what is in the game, or should I say whats not in the game, though I know some hardcore Fans will.  My advice to anyone thinking of buying this game is to wait for 2.0 which wont be until 2013, when SE really beleives it is done and the PS3 version will be available.

I will reqoute

A:
    As I mentioned in the previous LIVE, our stance about being 50% complete has not changed. Though we have been able to gradually implement FF-related content, I still think that there is a lot that has not yet been completed, such as a lack of player search and an auction house. With patch 1.20, we will be introducing the player search and auction house, so I made the call as a producer to start billing at this time.