Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bye Bye MMORPGS...Here comes SKYRIM!

12346»

Comments

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by Seravajan

I play a lot of single player games next to MMORPGs. One sort of games I miss today are very good strategy games like Master of Magic, Master of Orion 2, Sid Meiers Alpha Centaury with Alien Crossfire expansion and so on.

I'd suggest checking Sins of a Solar Empire (space empire building, a bit of RTS).  It's been out a while and has matured now, not to mention a bunch of mods out there for it.

I definitely had fun with Alpha Centauri and Master of Orion 2.  Great games.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Originally posted by sfly2000

Its funny how many people around here are playing single player games...

What?  On these boards?  Most of the MMORPGs these days are single-player RPGs at heart anyways.  What's the difference?

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I don't see anything odd about that. Single player games are worlds better than any mmo. Only thing mmos offer is the social experience.

• FntSize72LOLFntSize72LOL Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by r3zs1ckn3ss

Skyrimjob

OH U

Anyway, i don't see it being much better than Oblivion which was miles behind Morrowind. Not saying its going to be a bad game, i just don't see why its been hyped this much over the last year from what i've seen of it so far.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Originally posted by cheyane

Is Saint 3 first or third person . Oh that reminds me is Skyrim like Oblivion first too. I have that FPS headache thing and I cannot play a lot of games. Deus Ex Human Revolution gave me nausea after 20 mins even after I put 100 fov. I have played Oblivion but not very long but it was not as bad as Half Life  and now Deus.

I do not have that problem with any game except with Half Life 2, it's so weird.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Yes well what to do eventhough you might want to do something  life throws you a curve ball sometimes and you have to just deal. I cannot play the games no matter how much I may want to especially deus ex and half life and I was very very disappointed when this happened. At first I had no idea what was wrong I thought I had food poisoning or something than I realised it happened each time I played half life. 

So I went on the net and checked headaches and nausea and games and found out certain people have problems with the field of vision and half life was especially bad someething like 70.  I then read about other people with similar issues and some people take pills and play but no that is not something I want to do. 

Chamber of Chains
  • ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

Originally posted by snoocky

Are there more people leaving MMORPGS because of Skyrim?

I know I will, I am so fed up with todays mmorpg's......When Skyrim comes out....with the mods and great community :)

Just can't wait.....Time to change the tide.... So for me, bye bye mmorpgs!

yes, same.

only, i stopped MMO's already several months back. this whole year i was subbed to WoW first week of January, Rift for the 1st month of release and maybe 2-3 months total of EQ2 spaced out over that time.

been playing Risk on SC2 and WC3 custom maps, and playing Oblivion and Morrowind (with many mods, of course).

Originally posted by Wizardry

bah in a lazy mood right now to do any heavy reading on Skyrim.

I think someone mentioned something about having some sort of co op mode to invite a friend?

What exactly does this game offer outside of single player mode?

Nothing. nor will it EVER.

a guy answered you almost immediatly on your first post. he spoke truth...

why do you keep asking?

Elder Scrolls are tailored for a solo experience. it is not a lobby game. it is not a grind game. it is for those of us with imagination. those interested in RP. those who want to explore.

perhaps you should just forget ever hearing the words 'Elder Scrolls' because your need for multiplayer will never be satisfied with this series.

go pick from a slew of garbage MMO's and enjoy your chatbox + unending money pit......

Originally posted by Warmaker

What?  On these boards?  Most of the MMORPGs these days are single-player RPGs at heart anyways.  What's the difference?

you own a single player game, and can keep it forever. you don't have to pay a fee just to look at your character and run around for a few minutes.

or in other terms, single player games are not scams.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

Originally posted by Zairu

Originally posted by Warmaker

you own a single player game, and can keep it forever. you don't have to pay a fee just to look at your character and run around for a few minutes.

or in other terms, single player games are not scams.

Yes, because in Skyrim you are totally going to get together with a couple friends and go do a dungeon or raid right? That comment is to both Warmaker and Zairu. I dont play any MMO's right now. I havent since I cancled my account to Rift alittle over a month after launch. But I'm also smart enough to understand the purpose to a single player RPG such a Skyrim and the diffrence between it and an MMORPG.

As to Skyrim. I wont be buying it at launch. I'm to afraid it will be to similar to Oblivion which was a terrible game with a terrible storyline. Why it was so popular and sold so well I will never know. But if its more compared to Morrowind and a solid title I will pick it up. Same with MMORPG's. When one comes around I'm interested in I'll pick it up and see if it holds my attention. To me single player rpg's = the story experience and MMO's = the social experience. One will not fullfill the job of the other. Even if MMO's have a quality story its still not the same as a single player where the world is mine and I am the hero.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by DJJazzy

I don't see anything odd about that. Single player games are worlds better than any mmo. Only thing mmos offer is the social experience.

Pretty harsh.  In my opinion also possibly pretty true. 

Its one thing Ive noticed.  Why do mmorpgs seem nearly 5 years to a full decade behind non mmorpg games?  Why? 

I suppose some might talk about bandwidth, or limiting the system specs so everyone can play it.  But if thats so true, and Im sure it is, why do non mmorpg games typically not worry about it?  Often they try and push the limits.  Why dont mmorpgs?   Yes they want as many people possible playing.  Is that not true for all games? 

Why do mmorpgs seem to be so behind the rest of the gaming world in graphics, mechanics, playability, etc?  I dont understand this. 

Of course this is just a humble opinion all around.  No offense meant.  But the gap in quality between a lot of single player games and mmorpgs seems absolutely massive.  I might accept a small gap but it doesnt feel or seem that way to me and never really has. 

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by Corehaven

Originally posted by DJJazzy

Pretty harsh.  In my opinion also possibly pretty true. 

Its one thing Ive noticed.  Why do mmorpgs seem nearly 5 years to a full decade behind non mmorpg games?  Why? 

I suppose some might talk about bandwidth, or limiting the system specs so everyone can play it.  But if thats so true, and Im sure it is, why do non mmorpg games typically not worry about it?  Often they try and push the limits.  Why dont mmorpgs?   Yes they want as many people possible playing.  Is that not true for all games? 

Why do mmorpgs seem to be so behind the rest of the gaming world in graphics, mechanics, playability, etc?  I dont understand this. 

Of course this is just a humble opinion all around.  No offense meant.  But the gap in quality between a lot of single player games and mmorpgs seems absolutely massive.  I might accept a small gap but it doesnt feel or seem that way to me and never really has. 

Well, mmos and single player games are really two different animals, and success is determined by two different metrics. Take AoC and WAR for example, both games posted a good number of box sales, in single player terms, the games would be considered successful (in terms of box sales alone). However, neither game was able to hold onto a large portion of the original box sales in subscriptions. Hence why they both are considered by many, flops.

For a single player game to be successful, and an instant classic, it has to push the boundaries. Interesting story with good plot twists, good gameplay, decent graphics and replayablity are some of the more important metrics that I can think of for a single player game. For mmos, the game has to be attractive for a larger audience, because the success of the game is determined by active users. In order for a mmo to be played over a long period of time, there has to be an incentive to keep playing, i.e. carrot-on-a-stick.

WoW is a classic example. Graphically, the game is dated (although heavily stylized so it doesn't show it's age dramatically), but the raiding scene keeps the game alive. Gotta get the next tier of gear, gotta get all of the cool achievements and their rewards, gotta get that mount from X boss, gotta be the first to get that legendary weapon. Blizzard shows their genius by both making their game addicting, but also competitive on a more macro scale (guilds competing for world firsts). Hell, how many people do you think locked in their sub for 1 year with the Blizzard annual pass to get their "free" copy of D3 along with the mount in WoW? Millions...hell I'm one of em.

Single player games can deliver a more emotional gameplay experience, more akin to reading a book or watching a movie. MMOs just want to keep you paying, innovations don't need to come to fast to do that.

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

1.)  Skyrim doesn't look like crap. Show me one game in its category and is just as in depth as Skyrim right now with better graphics. Sure I'm not the biggest fan of Bethesda's character modeling. But all in all that game looks beautiful. Not as great on consoles though not entirely too bad either. But I'm running everything on the highest settings with no issue and it just looks breathtaking.

2.) Leaving MMOs for console games doesn't really make any sense. Different type of game. You can't compare or pit them against one another. If you don't wanna be online so be it. I have my PS3 to takes breaks from it but I still play Rift, WoW and TERA. A lot of people just end up burining themselves out playing online constantly. Thats why I switch it up. I don't think very many people will leave a whole 'nother type of game for something completely different.

I'm still like LvL 3 in Skyrim. I enjoy taking my time and enjoying all of my games both online or off.

Getting too old for this $&17!