Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bye Bye MMORPGS...Here comes SKYRIM!

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Z3R01

Originally posted by Distopia

I think what he saying is, why has no company making an MMO not spent half the time creating a world as Bethesda has? Lets face it the most prominent character in an MMO is it's world, that is the aspect you spend the most time with, yet it's the part given the least amount of focus.It really doesn't make sense why that aspect is ignored as much as it is, no sense at all.

I honestly couldn't tell why they havent handcrafted a world like bethesda has in elder scrolls.

Maybe it would take too long to develop? its probably easier and costs less to make eight to twelve themed zones with a handful of instanced dungeons vs a massive world with many varied locations with over 150 dungeons, explorable caves and ruins.

One day we may see it, games like Darkfall tried but the worlds ended up feeling empty and lifeless. 

That very well may be a reason, but at the same time I can't see how it wouldn't have it's pay off. IF Beth can do that while only seeing returns off the box sales of the game and one off dlc purchases. Surely an MMO would make far more and in far less time.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Originally posted by Z3R01

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Countless amount of hours will be consumed when Skyrim releases. Too bad mmos do not make this type of game with multiplayer. Instead we get cartoony characters and theme park mmos.

I'll be honest, putting a couple hundred people into a game like skyrim would probably turn the entire game sour to me.

On paper it sounds wonderful. Everyone would be hunting, exploring dungeons and ruins together, you would have an economy selling materials and crafted goods, you could join your fellow players in different guilds.

All sounds great, until you actually interact with another player and realize they they suck and ruin everything.

Exploiting, harassment, griefing, elitist attitudes and generally shit behavior. 

About two hours of exposure to these people and i would be wishing for single player skyrim again.

You make a good point and is probably right to some extent but you know when you have played mmos for over 8 years people like me are begging for something different in a positive direction.

Well game development is a business and we wont see anything different until someone can show these greedy bastards that a game with a world as detailed as a elderscrolls game that actually evolves the social multiplayer aspects of a mmo can sell and be successful long term.

After 14+ years I don't see that happening anytime soon, sadly.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I am not leaving MMORPG's I am just taking a break till GW2. 

Skyrim in a few weeks then Reckoning in February, hopefully between the 2 I can keep occupied till GW2's release.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by Slybacon

skyrim looks like trash I dont get all the hype over it :(

trrash? as compared to what? It might not be your thing but I really dont' see the trash part.

Maybe trash is the wrong word.

The game looks like it should have been released in the late 90's, first person games should remain the property of shooters. No i havnt played any elder scrolls games and basing my opinions solely from trailer's on Skyrim i dont want to either

Though I disagree with you about the first person view  being only for shooters I would reconsider if that is your biggest gripe. As I mentioned (and others have as well) there is a more robust third person play as compared to oblvioin and morrowind. Meaning it looks far better than the weird "slidey" third person versions of morrowind and oblvion. Still, if you are interested in immersive worlds then these games are right up there.

Heck, my roommate who is not a "gamer" spent months in Oblvion and Morrowindjust wandering around and doing side quests. just did enough of the main quest where he dropped off the the emperor's son at a temple and pretty much said "see ya, you are on your own".

the rest of the time he just explored. He even made a comment about how he wished one had to cook and eat and hunt in the game. Of course skyrim has cooking food for buffs but secretly I think he is a closeted hardcore sandbox player.

You should get him to try Fallout:New Vegas. I believe that game has a mode that requires you to eat and drink to survive.

Can get it cheap and its a good game.

• SlybaconSlybacon Member Posts: 48

I may look at it futher based on your recommendation

slybacongaming.blogspot.com

• LittlebombLittlebomb Member Posts: 152

Must play games for me

Deus ex (waiting till a couple more dlc's come out for it and it drop's in price)

Skyrim                    (it will be epic and well all know it)

STWORS               (probably only for 2-6 months, not a fan of WOW based endgame)

GW2                      (going to try to get marginally competitive in the tourny scene for pvp)

Bioshock Infinite     (looks amazing)

MassEffect 3          (huge fan of the series)

Tribes

Diablo 3

Batman AA city       (have to play this one)

Betcha Deus EX and Skyrim are on sale on STEAM for XMAS.

Originally posted by Littlebomb

Must play games for me

Deus ex (waiting till a couple more dlc's come out for it and it drop's in price)

Skyrim                    (it will be epic and well all know it)

STWORS               (probably only for 2-6 months, not a fan of WOW based endgame)

GW2                      (going to try to get marginally competitive in the tourny scene for pvp)

Bioshock Infinite     (looks amazing)

MassEffect 3          (huge fan of the series)

Tribes

Diablo 3

Batman AA city       (have to play this one)

Betcha Deus EX and Skyrim are on sale on STEAM for XMAS.

Bioshock Infinite looks so awesome! I watched a 10 minute demo of the game and it felt like i was watching a movie. within ten minutes i was already emotionally invested in the two main characters and immersed in the games setting.

As for the rest of the list both Arkham City and Deus Ex:HR are wonderful games and we all know Diablo 3, skyrim & GW2 are going to be epic. good list.

• SlybaconSlybacon Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Uhwop

skyrim looks like trash I dont get all the hype over it :(

trrash? as compared to what? It might not be your thing but I really dont' see the trash part.

Maybe trash is the wrong word.

The game looks like it should have been released in the late 90's, first person games should remain the property of shooters. No i havnt played any elder scrolls games and basing my opinions solely from trailer's on Skyrim i dont want to either

For the record, first person games weren't originally shooters, they were RPG's.

The generic, "game looks like it was released in the 90's" insult is geting pretty lame.

care to name the early first person rpg's? wiki has 1974 (Spasim) as the first comfirmed fps with arguements for earlier. D&D was released the same year

slybacongaming.blogspot.com

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

care to name the early first person rpg's? wiki has 1974 (Spasim) as the first comfirmed fps with arguements for earlier. D&D was released the same year

Regardless of what the first First Person game was, you still have not said what about Skyrim belongs in the 90's.

• KotatsuKotatsu Member Posts: 57

I don't see why you can't play Skyrim and your MMOs. They're two different kinds of game. I don't think anyone buys and console and only plays one genre of games. Well unless you live in da hood and buy the new Madden or whatever new sports game seems to come out every month and then loses value a month later thus filling up the game stores with $1.99 preowned copies of them.

(o'')-O Vs Q('' Q)

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Originally posted by Kotatsu

I don't see why you can't play Skyrim and your MMOs. They're two different kinds of game. I don't think anyone buys and console and only plays one genre of games. Well unless you live in da hood and buy the new Madden or whatever new sports game seems to come out every month and then loses value a month later thus filling up the game stores with $1.99 preowned copies of them.

I think its less of a forced "one or the other" and more of "Current MMO's are crap and I've only been playing them because there is nothing else, but now that this epic RPG is coming out, I can spend 100's of hours in it instead of these crappy MMO's"

Kinda like that.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Originally posted by Littlebomb

Must play games for me

Can probably play Deus Ex about now as it retail price should fall for the box and The Missing Link DLC make it a huge game now. 

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

I too look forward to getting my teeth in to a SKYRIM vampire adventure. I've not had a MMO since Darkfall's Dev team put doubt about a wipe and still remain so. Up until Darkfall release it was the only MMO in many years make me sub for more than 3 months at a time. I've never subbed for  more than a year at a time in any MMO since UO, SWG pre NGE & Planetside.  The most  hands on community I've experienced since UO,SWG & PS was in Darkfall,  Now all I'm waiting for is Planetside 2, and will give GW2 a go too of course,but Planetside 2  is the only MMO that's got me really excited and will be all about player and community again.

• mhoward48mhoward48 Member UncommonPosts: 99

The last mmorpg I tried was Rift. I played for a few months. I have loved EQ and Vanguard. Nothing coming out except maybe Copernicus,(and I do not have enough info on that one)  has peaked my interest in a long time.

I will likely try skyrim. They just do not make mmorpg's like they use to. Once they make a good one, I will be happy to give it a try.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Definately going to drop MMOs for a while to play Skyrim. I just hope the mod community goes into high gear and makes a lot of mods even sooner than Oblivion

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

I'm waiting on GW2..sooooooo....Skyrim should keep me busy for quite awhile as GW2 gets closer. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by marinrider

I think its less of a forced "one or the other" and more of "Current MMO's are crap and I've only been playing them because there is nothing else, but now that this epic RPG is coming out, I can spend 100's of hours in it instead of these crappy MMO's"

Kinda like that.

I like it cause it is true.  I like some solo play in mmo's but not it seems like they are all soloable all the way and there is no need for community.  That being true, in my opinion, I would rather play a game like oblivion or soon, Skyrim.  They are after all modable and very enjoyable.  I also do not have to turn off the chat channels to ignore the constant pleas of scammers for stuff for a "new" player.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

I've already stopped playing MMOs for the past several months.

I welcome the release of Skyrim with open arms though. One can only sink so many hundreds of hours of playtime between Fallout 3 and NV, even with them heavily modded, before starting to get a bit tired of them.

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

Mostly because singleplayer games are more evolved than MMOs. I play MMOs for the social aspect...however, MMOs made by AAA companies (and lets face it, indie MMO companies tend to release in a very bad state)...are a clone of WoW with a heavy focus on solo. More and more, they get easier and easier and more and more solo friendly. Even LOTRO which focused on groups, went free to play and is easier than WoW could ever be. WoW was good, but now that too is getting really easy.

EVE is a good one, and though it was released in a bad state...is actually rather good. Not my type of game though.

Hoping GW2 is good, or I'm pretty much done with MMOs.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Ceridith

I've already stopped playing MMOs for the past several months.

I welcome the release of Skyrim with open arms though. One can only sink so many hundreds of hours of playtime between Fallout 3 and NV, even with them heavily modded, before starting to get a bit tired of them.

True, I feel that way until I load one of them up, and realize its been 4 hours or so once I exit the program lol. Which is why I can't wait until Skyrim releases. Not to mention the anticipation I have for MERP once it finally releases, not much a LOTRO fan but that mod looks amazing. Wish they would have finsihed for Oblivion, but I understand the want they have to port it to Skyrim and finish with that release.

Anyway best FO:NV mod combo is RTS, with wasteland defense and the zombie apocalypse mod. IMO of course..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

bah in a lazy mood right now to do any heavy reading on Skyrim.

I think someone mentioned something about having some sort of co op mode to invite a friend?

What exactly does this game offer outside of single player mode?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry

bah in a lazy mood right now to do any heavy reading on Skyrim.

I think someone mentioned something about having some sort of co op mode to invite a friend?

What exactly does this game offer outside of single player mode?

Nothing.

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

Its funny how many people around here are playing single player games...

• SeravajanSeravajan Member UncommonPosts: 192

I play a lot of single player games next to MMORPGs. One sort of games I miss today are very good strategy games like Master of Magic, Master of Orion 2, Sid Meiers Alpha Centaury with Alien Crossfire expansion and so on.

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

I quit mmo's a few months ago, and I have quite a list of games that I want to play before going back to MMOs, if I even do at all. In addition to newer games, I've been enjoying some older games that I skipped over due to devoting most of my game time to MMOs.